Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru grows urgent, knowing that their target could escape at any moment.

To Bita: "Message your servants, and ask them to delay the man so he doesn't leave. I doubt he'll want to act openly, he does not yet know we've discovered him. Your discretion in this matter is appreciated. I understand that knowing that we are here investigating is valuable to you and your organization. It would be tempting to share that information, perhaps with a superior or trusted associate. But believe me, Satoshi represents a far greater threat to your enterprise than we do. I would have preferred that you not even know the Magistry was here. Since my partner," he nods at Shosuko, "Prefers a more direct approach, you are aware of us. I trust that nobody else will be. We do not have time to deal with a minor criminal operation, but if word reaches Satoshi that we are searching for him, and he is thus able to evade us, we will have to apply our efforts elsewhere. That will, I think, be inconvenient for everyone.

But I have great faith in the ability of the Scorpion to understand the needs of Imperial security."

To Shosuko and Hino: "We should split our search. We need to find him before he leaves the building. I have confidence in your subtlety. Do not let him know we are aware of him until he is in our grasp."

OOC: I'm Ikoma Masaru now, which means he is now a wacky comic relief character with a heart of gold.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

To Hino and Shosuko: "There are a lot of surveillance systems in the Upper City. If our quarry can interfere with them, we'll have to track him down the old-fashioned way. This might not be the only place that has encountered whatever it is he did. Sadly, I'm not a hacker. We might be able to pick up his trail if we can find out who else has had oddities with their surveillance in recent days. Suggestions?"

Edit because I can't read: "The others want to meet up. Maybe they'll have some information. We've hit a bit of a dead end."

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 7, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Hamzah-san. Welcome aboard. I'm sure your expertise will be valuable. We could use some fresh perspectives." Masaru isn't inclined to trust gaijin - he's a bit of a traditionalist. But he's also not about to tip his hand. Let the others bumble around with discomfort. Masaru has a job to do. Besides, the man seems like a professional. He's a bit more wary of Uesugi. Samurai should be understated, he thinks.

He explains the situation to Hamzah and Useugi, hoping the others are listening. He doesn't like to repeat himself. "We're working to track down a man named Kaiu Satoshi. Designs robots, formerly of the Crab, now persona non grata. Killed a few people, either through negligence or malice, than vanished. We have leads that take us here, but not much further. We know that Satoshi was not acting alone. He has at least one associate. We don't know anything about him except that he's male, large, and is either a hacker or a clever shugenja - he has an easy time either blocking cameras or erasing footage of himself. He's a step ahead, but I don't know if he's aware of our pursuits."

To the other group of Magistrates: "I am confident that your skills served well. What did you find?"

OOC: I'm assuming that with Uesugi's overconfidence and complete lack of courtier or etiquette that he's easy to read, and Masaru's etiquette and investigation will make that overconfidence apparent.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 8, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"As I recall, the Scorpion tend to be dedicated to remembering the great threats to Rokugan, and guarding them well. Their dedication and loyalty bring them honor." IF there's a double meaning there, Masaru shows no hints. "Embarrassment or no, there is someone in this city - aside from whoever is foolish enough to resurrect these powers - who knows about the kage yakiin. Finding one automaton out of a planet could be difficult. Perhaps we can learn more about the group it's targeting."

The Lying Darkness... the Lion's Shadow weren't easily frightened, but they knew well enough to fear the Darkness. And, at times, to be tempted by its power. Masaru felt a chill. They had never followed the Scorpion's failures, but they all knew that the Lion's Shadow could be twisted the same way.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 13, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Or maybe they'll just open their doors to us. Soshi Kazuhiro has some connection to our quarry, although I'm afraid we don't know what. It would be quite impolite not to attend, of course. It seems that fate smiles on us."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru turns to Hanjiko. "We don't have time for doubt. I have confidence in your abilities, but act quickly."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru turns to his companions: "Eyes open, mouths closed. I know you know the way. Enjoy the party: it's important we be seen as taking advantage of its decadence. Be seen drinking more than you truly do."

Masaru presents his credentials and passes through with confidence.

OOC: Do we have a gift to present to our host?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Lord Kazuhiro, a true pleasure. I fear whatever gift we bring you could never be truly adequate. What can we bring that cannot be found in this fine city? I have seen many estates in my time in the Magistry, and this stands among the most beautiful. And I am sure the sake will be even more so!"

Masaru laughs, the loud clear laugh of the exuberant Lion braggart.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru had lied when he told his companions that they should be "seen to drink." Whatever they would find wouldn't be at some idiot party. But Masaru could hear his ancestors calling to him. The Ikoma were known, of course, as drunks and braggarts. A reputation that Masaru was happy to keep up - it made his job easier.

But that didn't meant he wasn't a drunk and a braggart.

Masaru seeks out the sake. He hopes his companions will have the sense to keep their eyes open and mouths shut. Meanwhile, he'll be the life of the party. Sometimes casting the Lion's Shadow means standing in the light.

Despite appearing drunk (and, okay, actually being a little drunk), I want to ensure that Masaru gets more information than he passes on, and those around him get drunker than he does. So... some combination of Stealth and Courtier?

I'm also using my daily school ability on Kazuhiro. This gives me +1k0 on all contested rolls against him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Sincerity/Awareness 6k4: 30 (10, 4, 4, 3, 9 on the exploding 10).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru
Masaru bows deeply, and clumsily, but he's careful not to play it up too much. He's confident she sees through the facade, so best to at least show her some respect.

"Ikoma Masaru. Keeping up the finest traditions of the Lion, of course!" He displays a dish of sake. "And you are... Soshi, I see, but I'm afraid you have the best of me. As, I suspect, is usually the case."

Masaru starts marking out exits, mentally. If Komeko makes a dash for it, he's following. If she's not planning to start something herself, she'll know a safe place to be. Or at the least he can use the confusion to get some information from her. Or a hostage, if it comes to that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Stories? Oh, yes, a great number! Once, I was trapped on a ship that was boarded while orbiting the moon of..."

Masaru weaves a tale of great bravery, daring rescues, and valiant battle. He pushes a dish of sake toward Komeko. He's been careful, but he's still not as sober as he'd like to be. Evening the odds should help.

Courtier 7k4 to put Komeko in a position where she can't refuse the drink. 27 (8 , 7, 6, 6, 4, 3, 1)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"I would listen happily! Only the Scorpion can embellish a tale quite like the Ikoma, so I have no doubt this will be fascinating."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Threats?" Masaru mumbles. "And so early in the evening, too..."

Now is the perfect time to sneak away from the party, Masaru thinks. Anyone watching the conversation who seems him leave will assume he has arranged to meet Komeko somewhere discreet. He'd told the others to ensure they were seen at the party. Well... Masaru had been seen enough.

Masaru sneaks off to go poke his nose where it doesn't belong. Perhaps there are more interesting conversations happening away from the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

The most important thing right now is to continue to press the Scorpion... even drunk, Masaru can handle tea.

Approaching the tea ceremony. OOC I'm not sure exactly what the etiquette is here.

• Locked thread