Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bottle Rocket is also great, especially if you think of it as being a farce on contemporary, Tarantino-esque, indie crime films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

mysterious frankie posted:

"For here is the most ludicrously extreme representation of postmodern cinema’s “undefinable nostalgic past … beyond history.” Here is represented the complete “historical amnesia” Jameson warned us would preclude our ability to grapple politically with our own moment in time."

But, if you're so dim that you can't even figure out why Anderson deliberately nested the central story within two other stories, why do you think I would trust anything you have to say about reality?

I once got into an argument with someone over the historicity of Django Unchained where they legitimately criticized the fact that Candie's speech on phrenology was never explicitly rebuked within the film. When I suggested that Django's successful, clandestine ability to assassinate every white person in the movie did explicitly rebuke the veracity of Candie's outdated racial theories, he said 'normal people wouldn't get this.'

Jacobin's waxing about postmodernism strikes me as the same sort of condescension, except aimed at the 'hipsters' who find beauty in Anderson's accurate, impressionistic portrayal of "historical amnesia" and comic-tragic depiction of characters who have lost their "ability to grapple politically with [their] own moment in time." Film critique is a completely fatuous science, where the critic draws upon their projection onto the work (their own preconceived values and, thus, their ability to identify with the world of a text) and basically uses the text as the basis to discuss their own philosophical position. (Not that a film can't make you change or reconsider your philosophical position, just that they usually don't.) Jacobin's point isn't that Anderson's deliberate use of nostalgia to frame his story isn't obvious; it's that this technique is bad because other people might mistake something I don't like for something that is good.

• Locked thread