Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Surlaw posted:

This is the most artificial and precisely packaged film Anderson's made and that's perfect. It's the product of a flowery film maker with extreme attention to detail telling the story of a flowery author writing the second hand story of a man with a romantic poet's heart telling the story of the adventures he had with a man who embellished everything he said. It's a first person narrative told through multiple layers of detachment, and it perfectly explains the cartoonish unreality of its action; it's basically a tall tale told via a game of telephone, all with the purpose of obfuscating its true emotional core, the love story that Zero only reluctantly reveals when he has no other choice.

It's a film where reality is reshaped and twisted to suit each author's intentions (the film's most villainous actions (the cat death, the various murders, almost everything Adrien Brody says) occur entirely in places where no one would have possibly been around to tell either Zero or Gustave what happened.) It works so well because it's so detached from realism.

I love the fact that it opens with the literal Death of the Author, almost daring the audience to dig into its subtext and layers, serving largely as misdirection as to what Zero's story's really about (Agatha).

I enjoyed it a lot less than most of Anderson's films but I appreciated it more, if that makes sense.

Finally saw this and agree 100% with this post, except that last sentence. This is probably my favorite of his yet (though I haven't seen Rushmore [gasp] or Darjeeling Limited - or properly speaking, Bottle Rocket, since I fell asleep the one time I tried to watch it). It's the most aggressively diorama-esque of his films and as a total sucker for that aesthetic, I ate it up; likewise, the narrative nesting of a story within a story within a film really tickled me, and functioned beautifully as an ode to the power of storytelling itself, to shape and redefine real-life experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread