Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Yeah, this! Grand Budapest Hotel could've been ABOUT Zero and Gustave (and potentially Agatha), but Anderson chose to make it ABOUT the Boy With Apple caper instead, meaning it wasn't as good a movie as it could've been. I just thought this film was a beautiful package that's empty inside.

Regarding Agatha, the emotional impact seen in Zero's face is not shared by the film's viewers, since Agatha was not any kind of a "character", just a person who showed up and did things for the sake of furthering the zany adventure, like all the rest of the cartoonishly-rendered people who weren't Gustave or Zero. My whole point is, I wish it were just a comedy with heart (like Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Tenenbaums, or even Darjeeling Limited) and not a "zany adventure."

Society of the crossed keys is a funny idea, but I really didn't need to see each and every phone call when that precious screen time could've been used to flesh out one of the more important characters. True, Bill Murray isn't detrimental to this (or any) film, but he didn't really add anything here either. That, my friend, is a waste of Bill Murray.
I agree, felt more like Charade or To Be or Not to Be - didn't really put down emotional roots like Anderson's trademark. But I think that's a good thing, seems like he made some ballsy moves and went outside of his tried and true dysfunctional family nucleus.

The audience enjoyed it quite a bit more than other Andersons I've seen in the theater. Maybe because none of the characters are dealing with depression? Fiennes won over the crowd almost immediately and the film kept that momentum going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, for a critique a film that has a magpie-like obsession for the baubles that are the product of suffering, and which even commodifies that suffering itself as a bit of nostalgic confection, that critique is really ungrounded and vague.
I like the part where she claims that the audience can only enjoy the film on a meta level.

• Locked thread