Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

so rasp. much nast posted:

why wasn't this goddamn movie released nationwide in the US

Seriously, I'm staying in Bumfuck Nowhere to take care of a family member and I'd have to travel very far to even see it at all. Which really sucks because it looks like the most Wes Anderson Wes Anderson film ever and I want to see it so bad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly I'd really like just one more movie where Owen Wilson co-writes, because as much as I like the post-Tenenbaums films, I think the best scripts were when they collaborated and Wilson kept his whimsy in check a bit more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wasn't able to see this in theater, but goddamn if this wasn't the best Wes Anderson film since Tenenbaums. I went into it actually thinking it would be far more complex and intricate than it is, which worked to its benefit, I think, because the relatively straightforward story of Gustave and Zero came as a welcome relief.

Ralph Fiennes deserves all the awards. All of them. Just dump them on his doorstep.

Brody was a terrific villain, though he got perhaps not as much screen time as he should have. And of course DaFoe was suitably terrifying and merciless.

Agree that Norton was weirdly flat, I didn't feel like he was so much "phoning it in" as making some kind of weird choice to not stand out very much. I think it was intentional but I think whatever his point in doing it was, it missed the mark.

I actually thought Goldblum did quite well with his small role.

Harvey Keitel was easily the best cameo, and F. Murray Abraham gave his part such a sentimental bent I just couldn't help but love every second he was talking.

I would actually go ahead and say that if you aren't going to watch every Anderson film in order (which is what you really should do) that this would be a good starting point; it really is his most accessible film, at least since Rushmore. It's not nearly as quirky as Tenenbaums or Darjeeling, nor as impenetrable as Life Aquatic or Moonrise Kingdom.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like the part where she implies that Richie's suicide attempt in Tenenbaums wasn't sad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Criminal Minded posted:

Finally saw this and agree 100% with this post, except that last sentence. This is probably my favorite of his yet (though I haven't seen Rushmore [gasp] or Darjeeling Limited - or properly speaking, Bottle Rocket, since I fell asleep the one time I tried to watch it). It's the most aggressively diorama-esque of his films and as a total sucker for that aesthetic, I ate it up; likewise, the narrative nesting of a story within a story within a film really tickled me, and functioned beautifully as an ode to the power of storytelling itself, to shape and redefine real-life experiences.

You need to see Rushmore, Grand Budapest is most like it of his other stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Bottle Rocket is also great, especially if you think of it as being a farce on contemporary, Tarantino-esque, indie crime films.

It explicitly is that, so yes. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nettle Soup posted:

What on earth was that.

I went into this pretty much expecting one of those films they churn out for middle aged women to go see with their girl-friends

:stare:

Well you've got a half dozen awesome movies to catch up on then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vintersorg posted:

Watch Royal Tenenbaums right away.

Then follow up with the perfect Life Aquatic.

Disagree, I think Anderson's ouvre should be watched in production order. That way, at least for a while, they just keep getting better.

• Locked thread