Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrPain posted:

Official book time is 23.8 hours, and I'd like to meet the super tech who can make that happen.

Step 1: Equip your magic wand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I mean a 305 can be built to produce some power, but I guess its easier/cheaper to go LSX/350 route.

Except that everything you do on a 305 to make power, will make twice that on a big-bore SBC (302, 327, 350, 383, 400).

A running 305, freshly rebuilt or otherwise, is pretty much only worthwhile to someone looking for the cheapest SBC they can throw into a given vehicle - and given the cost of a running used 350, that sets the bar pretty drat low. I wouldn't waste your time, either sell it as-is or haul it to a scrapyard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

You have me worried about being fired from my mechanic. I'm taking our car there tomorrow after an acquaintance did work on and now it doesn't for poo poo. He's a mechanic, but apparently didn't think a multiple cylinder misfire, blowing plumes of gas, and having about 1/3 of the power as before was in any way cause for concern.

You reminded me of a big pet peeve I had with a local shop. I had a transmission shop replace the shifter shaft seal on my Mazdaspeed3 because at the time there was fuckall for documentation on how to do it, and it was cheap to do. When we picked it up the shifter felt like you had to force it through every gate, because the cables had frayed during the repair - but they didn't feel like mentioning it. I didn't even blame them because the cables had clearly been fraying for a while, but it still would've been nice to loving know.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrPain posted:

We're going to replace the visibly lovely heater hoses, which are molded and come as an assembly with the heater control valve. All of that of course means it's an expensive part, and naturally to make matters worse only Ford makes that hose assembly. (

Might as well replace the valve anyway - they're loving poo poo. Gone through two on my Ranger already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This is loving fantastic. That exhaust kicks rear end.

No poo poo, I almost - almost - want to do the same to my 2.5L Ranger now.

Seeing as I can't be assed to install the plugs and wires I've had sitting around for it, though...nope.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

its not really a big deal in tatooine, seeing as how anything older than 5 years old the paint is absolutely FUCKT.

Yeah, look closer - the clearcoat is completely gone on that bed cover.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised this isn't a thing considering cars have this all the time.

Some do, some don't. It's A Thing to make your own access hole on a fourth-gen F-body because dropping the tank also means dropping the rear axle.

With the bed, I can see the desire to avoid a removable panel at least on the inside; one more spot to hang up your shovel or whatever you're moving in/out of the bed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Corvettes (and everything else with a T-56), etc all have the shifter that mounts directly into the transmission.

T-56 Corvettes (and TR-6060 and whatever the 7-speed is) have the transmission mounted on back, attached to the differential - so there's definitely shift linkage there. And even the CTS-V got a bit of a linkage on it:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's a funny looking Escape! :v:

Honda's oil life system seems damned accurate to me, if not slightly conservative even. I sent a sample up to Blackstone with 15% life remaining (about 8k on the oil) and they told me to try 10k. I'll just keep on changing it at 15% instead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

* I'm not going 16,000 miles on a loving oil filter especially when it's tiny and the OEM filter is like $2.50.

The sample I sent Blackstone out of my CR-V was the second change on the factory oil filter. I think these modern engines are so sealed up in terms of their crankcase that if there's even anything significant that the filter needs to take out, something is already very wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The closest thing I can think of is "greater risk of someone forgetting to put oil back in it" because you're changing it more often. Aside from lightening the wallet a bit / environmental concerns, there's nothing wrong with it.

That said, unless your car is considerably older, or your drives are all really short ones that never get the engine properly hot, or you only rack up 5000km in a year, that's a really short change interval.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Poisonlizard posted:

Just gonna leave this here:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22999

Should (In theory) bolt right into a 4 cylinder Ranger.

Might not bolt into a pre-'02 Ranger, though. Up until then, the 2.3/2.5L Rangers were based on the old Pinto / Lima SOHC engine. After that (or was it during 2001?) they went back down to 2.3L, but by switching over to the Mazda-based MZR which that Ecoboost is derived from.

The guy swapping one into a Foxbody used a MZR Ranger oil pan (plus a balance shaft delete) to fit it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, the 2.5L is a stroked Lima, not a MZR. It's what came in the Ranger from 1998 until when they switched to the MZR.

It's also still loving gutless.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

8ender posted:

Put in a 1L ecoboost and build a little frunk storage tray around it.

I like this idea a lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Gotta love how GM's been reusing old engine codes the past decade or so. LS6? Well, sure, you could be talking about the 2001+ high output LS1 variant in the 'vette, but it could also be a big block 454 from the 70's or an iron duke! LT1, well that could be any of three different engines from various decades too.

poo poo, they've even reused LS9. It's the RPO for the wheezy original 350 from my GMC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I was wrong. This loving idiot was THREE POINT FIVE QUARTS LOW ON A FIVE QUART MOTOR and somehow only had a flickering pressure light and some valvetrain noise.

Our brothers are the same people. One of mine managed to run his Civic three quarts low on a four quart sump, miraculously without any damage of any sort that we could find.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Please never stop

This, and holy hell that kind of failure on a 2010? That just seems ridiculous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Good call on those Tahoe seats - we had a '97 Suburban and while the rest of the truck ended up being a raging pile of poo poo (never buy a halfton 'Burb, especially if the PO hot rods around town in it...) the seats were damned comfy. I actually put a middle-row bench out of one in my GMC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"We won't screw you - unless you ask for it!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Counterpoint, it's powered by a small|big block Chevy V8. There absolutely is a set of accessory brackets / accessories / pullies / belts that will bolt to that engine and give you a newer style compressor, and it may even be 100% factory GM parts.

But, yeah, it will be a lot of custom work and just might not be worth it compared to what I presume is a relatively cheap compressor to replace.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even with all of the signs that it's owned by someone without the slightest bit of sense (tonneau cover, wheels, sketch-as-hell accessory drive, no fan shroud, hilariously wrong-sized hose clamp, and what I fear might still be four-wheel drum brakes)... a C10 is still a good looking truck. :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Don't forget the plugged PCV port on the carburetor! It might have one of those tubes that creates vacuum from a header, but... I doubt it.

It's got a combo breather/oil filler cap setup and yet the valvecover doesn't seem to be slathered in oil (hard to day) so even though it's puking whatever blowby it has to the atmosphere, it's probably not massive.

The 350 I had in my truck before the LS1, especially with the Vortec heads bumping compression? That thing had some massive blowby. PCV vacuum feed on one valvecover, push-in breathers in both, and it would still ooze oil everywhere. Before I did the dual push-in it would pop the dipstick out!

I put something like 20-30k on it like that :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's actually a bit of a bitch to find longtubes that clear these trucks for some reason but... yeah that's clearly someone not thinking at all. Especially since those aren't even longtubes, nor do they even seem to interfere with the frame at all.

I'd bet good money that go-fast column is one of the scores of cheap, awful Chinese columns that a lot of the truck boards love. New Zealand has banned them for good reason.

It's why I paid about the same amount for an actual GM van column that someone else had already cleaned up - even if it was in poo poo shape, the tilt joint in it is still a fail-safe design. The steering will go sloppy as poo poo but it will still work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This was some good reading. I'm not used to a government office having this level of actual technical knowledge, our highway act for motor vehicle compliance still has bits for horse drawn cars. They would never go so far as to do a publication about the state of steering yokes or collapsible-tilt functionality in a steering column.

Gonna have to track down more of these.

Yeah, it's remarkably in-depth and well done - especially when this would only apply to older customized vehicles since on nearly anything newer it's easier to get a factory tilt column than it is to get an aftermarket one.

DrPain posted:

According to the packaging, I believe it's one of these.

I'm impressed, then, since the rest of that truck screams cheap solutions. ididit columns are damned nice, and they're quite spendy. drat near $1k once you factor everything in. The cheap Chinese deathtraps go for between $200-$300 usually.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It seems to make sense until you find out that you can apply for an exemption to pretty much any rule in the book if you have enough money.

I suspect if you had that kind of money, though, you could just buy a not-poo poo column instead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That ground wire solution. :vince:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrPain posted:

A 2006 Trailblazer 4.2L straight six
:words:
The mechanical fan (and it's horrendously expensive electronic fan clutch, we won't get into that though)

If you won't then I will. gently caress that thing. My mom's '02 EXT has been through three or four of the loving things, and they aren't cheap. You get a CEL when they fail and thus can't pass emissions either, even if it's not overheating or overcooling.

In hindsight, it would've been cheaper to buy another HPTuners credit, swap to the pure-mechanical fan they used on the last years of the Atlas (2009 I think?) and reflash the ECM to match.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's definitely doable - the HPTuners help page covers the options available:

quote:

Fan Type

Number of Fans Fitted: Number of engine cooling fans fitted to the vehicle.
2 Fans: Vehicles equipped with 2 fans.
Aux Fans: Vehicles equipped with Auxiliary fans.
No Fans: Vehicle is equipped with no fans.
Series/Parallel: Vehicle is equipped with relay controlled series/parallel fans.
Variable Speed: Vehicle is equipped with electronically controlled variable speed electric fans.
Electro Viscous: Vehicle is equipped with electronically controlled viscous coupled fans.

Discrete: Vehicles equipped with relay controlled fans.
PWM Electric: Vehicles equipped with electronically controlled variable speed electric fans
PWM EV: Vehicles equipped with electro-viscous fan.

With a purely mechanical fan you'd want to go with the "No Fans" option, I think. Or go the other way around, rip the mechanical off, slap some electric fans in place, and see about repurposing the electroviscous wiring to control relays instead.

Or just delete the CEL codes, that'd be an option too.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 5, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrPain beat me to it but yes, there is literally no advantage to this setup other than the fact that GM insists on putting mechanical fans on trucks, and wanted some vague computer control of it (notice how many times it says that it takes a couple minutes to actually reach 100% speed!) The really stupid thing in my mind is that both the '98+ FBody and C6 electric fans fit on it drat well - it's not like GM didn't have any fans that can fit the radiator.

I think the last replacement on my mom's must've been an aftermarket part because it's held up longer than any of the previous ones, by quite a few years now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrPain posted:

Then there's the radiator. The customer went out and spent a boatload of money on a very nice, all aluminum radiator (think be-cool) then mounted it by extending the factory radiator brackets with a booger welded strap and weather stripping underneath. Yeah. I'll just let that one linger for a moment. Any amount of engine vibration and heat from the rad would cause the weather striping to melt, and the booger welded strap to vibrate directly against the high dollar radiator, eventually wearing a hole in it. Yeaaaah... That simply won't do. We're going to fix that loving mess, too.

This looks a lot like trying to shove a 4-core-sized radiator (a lot of the aluminum ones are actually single-core or two-core, but sized the same as the old 4-core copper radiators) into a 3-core bracket. It's also monumentally stupid since you can get aftermarket aluminum radiators that will drop right in for hardly more than the cost of a copper one these days (my next one will be aluminum, that's for sure).

I'm betting for you it'll be cheaper to spend the time to properly weld those brackets together but, they're damned cheap to replace if you go that route instead.

An E-Fan swap is a damned nice thing to have and certainly solves the "no shroud" problem quite nicely.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I also seem to recall you asking them to tell you what kind of Jeep it was, or something along those lines.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hydros also show up on Astros but it's due to clearance more than anything else.

I thought a long time about swapping to a Hydroboost on my GMC but it's a lot simpler to stick with vacuum, and my stock LS1 leaves me with plenty of vacuum to operate it / plenty of room for a larger booster off of a C30.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Dang. I was hoping you'd still be around to do pre-purchase inspections when I get a wild hare up my rear end, fly to Vegas, and buy rust-free desert vehicles.

Seriously, I was going to tow something in from the outskirts for that (until it got sold to someone willing to buy an Opel GT sight unseen... yeah that's not me these days).

If nothing else, thanks for a hell of a thread and good luck in whatever Plan B leads to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The more German, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why aren't we making any money on our knuckle sandwiches?

So what if I'm giving them away to all of my friends?

• Locked thread