Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm so not jealous that you guys have to deal with smog checks down there. That's simply not a thing here in the cow counties. I'm dreading it if I ever move back into civilization - I think I might have one car that would pass smog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That 305 belongs in a Fiero.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DrPain posted:

Oh... Kay... I'll just climb in to it and...

:barf:

Heh. I ought to get you photos of some of the ranch trucks up here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DrPain posted:

Not sure on the brand, I'll find out for you though. When we tested the ranger we flushed the milkshake out, filled it with pure water, and ran the test.

:siren:FORKLIFT FUN:siren:

Certified Forklift Operators™ avert your eyes!

The body shop I share a parking lot with is expanding their operation into a bigger space in the same building.

Today they took delivery of what I assume are lifts of some kind. But oh no! Whats this? They don't have a forklift?

I GOT YOU, BROS!!

I didn't expect the pallet to be so goddamn long! It just kept coming out the longer I pulled on it. Eventually, I got the other end of the pallet onto the truck's liftgate, and the driver and I lowered it down together. I then picked it up from the side and put it in the corner to be unpacked.

I didn't charge them anything, just asked that they sublet some of their mechanical repairs to me in the future.

That's how literally every long piece of freight is delivered. Unless the truck doesn't have a liftgate, in which case you tell them to come back the next day with a truck with a liftgate.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DrPain posted:

Interesting. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. :toot:

Sometimes, if the freight is robust, you can do it without a liftgate. Drag the freight out until just a couple of feet of it are still in the trailer and set your end on the ground. Then come around from the side and lift the freight from the middle. Once it's balancing on your forks, reverse while turning towards the trailer, allowing the remaining bit of freight that's still inside of the trailer to swing out of the trailer door. Then you just drive forward or have the truck drive away.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Larrymer posted:

I moneyshifted a miata at a track day and basically took out the engine and trans. Good thing is that that's only a ~$500 mistake.

Did that with a camaro once. Tach rode up past 11 or something. 350 didn't care, kept on trucking. :smugdog:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

To add to Dr.pains gay rear end smogger post.

you can NOT legally swap engines here. gas to diesel, or diesel to gas, or even going form a v6 to a v8.

not. loving. allowed.

oh.

1968 and newer and it has 4 or more wheels? It has to smog. your 1970 mercedes 220D? yep. your 69 camaro? yep.

To add to this, this only applies in "urban" counties, which is Clark and Washoe. If you happen to live out in the countryside, you can go hog wild since you never need to have a smog check or inspection or anything else ever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DrPain posted:

He's also a 49ers fan. Bleh. I hold a special grudge against the Niners because they drafted known rear end in a top hat Colin Kaepernick out of that school in Reno. I worked in the athletics department all through my time at UNLV, and it is my personal opinion that Kaep wouldn't have been an NFL prospect if UNLV had managed to field any kind of defense against that fucker who padded his stats by running up the score every loving time we played them and lost. I was forced to watch each and every one of these woodshed beatings live from the sidelines when I was working football season. College rivalries never die. I had hoped he would fade away into nothingness but nope, the goddamn Niners had to go and draft him and then give him the starting QB job! Dick. Jerks. Ask me how I really feel. To hell with the Niners and to hell with Kaepernick. You don't know the heartache of watching your friends and classmates get decimated by a showboating jerk running a gimmick offense for 4 straight years only to be kicked in the teeth when the world's greatest sports league rewards him with a starting position. Richard Sherman is the truth. When he tipped that awful pass to force the game winning interception in the NFC Championship Game last season I went off. Whenever I'm sad I just pull up that clip on youtube.

While I don't care about football, I feel that there is only one appropriate response to this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I, too, wish for an unreconstructed racist hillbilly to be my beloved mascot.

By the way can you make a trip up north to fix the a/c on my Benz thanks

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

TWBalls posted:

Sorry for being pendantic, but this gets brought up in the I.T. threads a lot. You're thinking of 'At Will' employment. IIRC, 'Right to Work' has something to do with Unions.

Nevada is both. Unless you work at a unionized hotel or for a unionized mine, you're screwed here as a worker.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, this is where I'd go on it.

"You want me out? Sure. Pay off my share, and I'll walk. Up front."

If he's bitching about hours, you can bet he's not in position to do so, and the only argument a Fox News conservative understands is a financial one.

Yes, I'm an rear end in a top hat. Best of luck DrPain. :(

This is the correct argument. Even for family in law.

You can always forgive and make up later.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Viggen posted:

They may enforce things different in/around Vegas than they do here- but if it passes smog (or is old enough that it doesn't have to), they aren't going to bother. When you bring in a car to have it visually inspected, they don't even check the bulbs. Just look for a VIN, you pay $1, and get in line inside. :v:

I've literally never even done a VIN inspection, and I've bought and sold dozens of cars here over the years. Many have not had stock motors at some point during this history.

And it's not like Summit's "dockside pickup" option is unpopular for crate engines around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Viggen posted:

..but enough about Germany. How long until this reads like GM? The NEW-NEW incarnation? :ohdear:

No, no. He said "high line luxury brand" and they stopped selling Oldsmobiles years ago!

• Locked thread