Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what are folks using as good sources of local news? I wish I could find better coverage of stuff just slightly north of Seattle, but everything seems to end at Northgate or so. Also, any good sources for the nitty-gritty stuff that goes on in Olympia? I feel like everything I hear it's because there was one piece on KUOW or the Stranger had a silly rant about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The Stranger's Slog was a legitimately good source of political news for Olympia as well, but may be less so now that Goldy was canned.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Kjep64 posted:

Oh, drat. I thought the stores were open. It has taken the state government this long? Ah, red tape.

There is more detail in the Marijuana thread, but basically it boils down to the Colorado law was nearly a free-for-all, and the Washington law is going very slowly and very carefully.
Also, Washington sat on their hands until the Feds came out and said, "Fine, whatever." A 6-9 month delay right there.
The first growing permits just went out, that crop will be the first sold this summer(June-ish). And with a 25% tax on each stage of the process(25% for each producer, processor, seller) plus local sales taxes, it will be expensive but make Colorado's tax revenues look like chump change.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I would like to remind everyone living in King County that April 22nd is the day we vote to either raise taxes or cut up to 17% of bus services. As previously mentioned, Washington's tax system is terrible, but losing the buses will hit people, especially the poor,harder than the increase will.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The local Waldorf elementary school here in Eugene has a 70% non-vaccination rate.

Of course, the average Eugeneian also believes in faeries, spirits, dmt-elves, and magic.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ladyboy pancake posted:

I would like to remind everyone living in King County that April 22nd is the day we vote to either raise taxes or cut up to 17% of bus services. As previously mentioned, Washington's tax system is terrible, but losing the buses will hit people, especially the poor,harder than the increase will.

If it doesn't pass it is going to be a disaster especially since so many people use buses in Seattle, and Seattle traffic as it is, is really quite terrible. It is a bit disquieting to hear these issues in Seattle then look at the construction in SLU and Belltown not to mention property prices across the city. There is a massive amount of money in Seattle itself much less the metro-area but it is taxed very inefficiently.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ladyboy pancake posted:

I think it'll pass. Too many people use the buses now. Although, Metro needs to scrounge a little money and do a publicity campaign.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The-Mole posted:

The local Waldorf elementary school here in Eugene has a 70% non-vaccination rate.

Of course, the average Eugeneian also believes in faeries, spirits, dmt-elves, and magic.

It's not just the hippies, I think Oregon has a larger than normal contingent of faith healing types. I know they keep getting dragged to court after their kids keep dying of easily preventable stuff.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Oregon and Washington are weird states. They fascinate me. :allears:

I've heard Oregon, geographically, is one of the most backwards redneck states in America. I wonder how it feels to be right wing living in a fixed blue state. Portland, though liberal, is primarily white isn't it? Oregon sounds white as gently caress.

sullat posted:

It's not just the hippies, I think Oregon has a larger than normal contingent of faith healing types. I know they keep getting dragged to court after their kids keep dying of easily preventable stuff.

Pseudo-science on the left is often overlooked. It's pretty interesting. Conservatives are associated with Young Earth Creationism and climate change denial, whereas liberals have their share of New Age medicine/mysticism, marijuana as a magic cure for ______ Disease, anti-GMO, etc.

I'm Northern Californian. One notable thing was a proposition to label GMO products. I voted "Yes." People have the right to know regardless of their harm - crazy pseudo-science paranoia aside. Any good sources on this issue, by the way? Gibberish takes up most discussion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Telesphorus posted:

I've heard Oregon, geographically, is one of the most backwards redneck states in America. I wonder how it feels to be right wing living in a fixed blue state. Portland, though liberal, is primarily white isn't it? Oregon sounds white as gently caress.

Oregon is ~78% non-Hispanic white as of 2012, which is not the highest in the US (Vermont is something like 94%).

As for the right wing people they probably don't really care that much because they don't see them much. They might make noise about taxes or gay marriage or whatever but at the end of the day the vast majority of their community acts like them, and they're happy with it.

e: For reference, Oregon's Congressional districts:

and the 2012 election results:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Telesphorus posted:

Depends on what you mean geographically, since Oregon's political map can change drastically county by county. Some of the most conservative counties in the US might very well be in Oregon, and some of the most liberal ones as well.

Looking at the ballot measures that have been proposed (everything from clamping down on public unions to legalized weed and gay marriage) there are two very different types of Oregonians. That said, not every part of Oregon outside of Portland and Eugene is conservative. Astoria and the North Coast usually goes democrat, as does Hood River and parts of the Willamette valley. Hood River and Astoria especially do feel a little like Portlandia colonies though at times. I went to a bar in Astoria that was about 8 feet across and looked like it had been skydropped from the SE.

Granted, a lot of the democrats in Oregon are pretty typical "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" types and usually are pro-business. Charlie Hales (the Mayor of Portland) falls very much into this category, and seems mostly focused at addressing the homeless issue with batons.

In some ways I think Oregon politics is following closer to mainstream American politics, just with a libertarian tinge to it. Obviously there is still a lot of good with the state: it is probably in the close running for one of the most socially liberal states period, especially after this November: Doctor assisted suicide, a suspended death penalty, very liberal free speech laws, and soon gay marriage and recreation marijuana. However, the real downside is that big business (especially Nike/Intel) have a tremendous amount of influence on state politics and pretty much the legislature does what they say.

Edit: There is also an issue with education, especially vast differences in property tax rates by county. Usually the most liberal counties have very high rates and contribute considerably to their public schools while many rural counties barely have property taxes at all and mostly live on federal funds or direct contributions from the state. So there is tension between the conservative "free loader" counties and urban counties over tax dollars, Oregon education is rather dismal across the board except for OHSU.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

I'm very curious how the national corporate chains are going to try to spin their privatization scheme in Oregon after it crashed and burned in Washington. Raise prices on booze while draining money out of the state funds and killing jobs? No thanks.

I was talking with my family after it passed and they felt like they'd been tricked. The talk was on how privatization would lower costs and make jobs, when instead the state liquor stores closed down, fired their employees, and a bunch of grocery stores started selling crappier liquor, at higher prices, without getting any new employees. Babby's first introduction to privatization.

e: The difference is geographical, also! Washington and Oregon have insanely cool different biomes. Washington's got this beautiful stretch of temperate rainforest on the Olympic peninsula; the Puget Sound, the mouth of the Columbia, hell, the Columbia river itself, and the west coast are great marine environments; the scablands in Eastern Washington have a cool history that I could rant forever about (formed by a gigantic flood after an ice dam in Montana broke and covered the entire eastern part of the state in like three-hundred feet of water that poured down the Columbia river valley), and the cascade range is super majestic. When I was living in Battle Ground I could see Mt. St. Helens from my driveway.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 11, 2014

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Eastern Washington is the only place where I've met seemingly ordinary people maintaining stockpiles of guns and ammo in anticipation of a violent proletarian/non-white uprising. Nice folks, invited me into their home, asked if I wanted to see something cool. Something cool is about a dozen AR-15's. This is a household of only four, so I guess they're planning on inviting the neighbors over for the race war.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The simplest way I've found to wrap one's head around the peculiar politics found in the Pacific Northwest is;

This is the far edge of Western Civilization.

Any further west, and it stops being Western. When people want to get away from the current community or culture they find themselves in, the Pacific Northwest is where they eventually end up. Hippies, anti-vacation, vegans, anarchists, survivalists, hipsters, and pretty much a ton of people who didn't like the way things were where they came from and are more or less happy to be left alone to do what ever they want here.

Seriously, the whole cliche of Californians or whoever moving here is because half the people you might bump into in Oregon and Washington weren't born here. They all move here because in the minds of many Americans, the Pacific Northwest is still a sort of a Terra Nullius. A place where they can go and get a cabin in the woods and live off the grid. Be the most pretentious hipster without getting called out. Practice a wacky religion without being run out of town. It's weird, but militant vegans and paranoid gun nuts move here for pretty much the same reason.

illrepute posted:

e: The difference is geographical, also! Washington and Oregon have insanely cool different biomes.

This attracts quite a diverse group too. Oregon ranges from temperate rainforest near the coast to a salt flat in the Alvord Desert. And in between are fertile valleys, a volcanic mountain range, and rolling grass lands. All that to chose from, and without hurricanes or blizzards.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

Mrit posted:

There is more detail in the Marijuana thread, but basically it boils down to the Colorado law was nearly a free-for-all, and the Washington law is going very slowly and very carefully.
Also, Washington sat on their hands until the Feds came out and said, "Fine, whatever." A 6-9 month delay right there.
The first growing permits just went out, that crop will be the first sold this summer(June-ish). And with a 25% tax on each stage of the process(25% for each producer, processor, seller) plus local sales taxes, it will be expensive but make Colorado's tax revenues look like chump change.

That's really too bad. When I first heard about Washington legalizing Marijuana 2 years ago I was excited to see how the Government would go about taxing it, where that tax money would end up and the social impact legalizing marijuana would have. I hope the tax isn't outrageously high, but I would like to see this new found tax revenue help alleviate some of the problems we're having.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Hippies, anti-vacation, vegans, anarchists, survivalists, hipsters, and pretty much a ton of people who didn't like the way things were where they came from and are more or less happy to be left alone to do what ever they want here.

Man, that second guy sounds like a real downer.

:backtowork:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Come to Oregon, discover the term, "hippier than thou."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The-Mole posted:

Come to Oregon, discover the term, "hippier than thou."

Or just watch Portlandia.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Portlandia is too fun. Imagine someone strung out on DMT telling you about how you're a lovely person for not supporting the local Kambuchae industry.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh Portlandia basically just makes fun of the hippies/lefter leaning weirdos and ignores that even in Portland itself there is an entire other realm of reactionary wackos that are as or more extreme. I guess the hippies and the hipsters are inoffensive compared to a literal skinheads.

The best is when the two sides mix.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Eh Portlandia basically just makes fun of the hippies/lefter leaning weirdos and ignores that even in Portland itself there is an entire other realm of reactionary wackos that are as or more extreme. I guess the hippies and the hipsters are inoffensive compared to a literal skinheads.

The best is when the two sides mix.

Well, most of those on the other end of the spectrum from Portlandia's hippies and hipsters have moved across the river to Vancouver. It's basically a refugee camp for bitter Republicans who want to live in a state with no income tax and be within driving distance of a state with no sales tax. They also complained about the light rail on the Columbia River Crossing because it would bring blacks crime.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Well, most of those on the other end of the spectrum from Portlandia's hippies and hipsters have moved across the river to Vancouver. It's basically a refugee camp for bitter Republicans who want to live in a state with no income tax and be within driving distance of a state with no sales tax. They also complained about the light rail on the Columbia River Crossing because it would bring blacks crime.

It isn't just Clark or Clackamas county, eastern Portland is also quite a different mixed bag. It isn't like Tigard or Beaverton are really that liberal either. If anything "hippy" Porlandia are some some pretty discreet areas in SE/NE Portland west of the 82nd/205.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Telesphorus posted:

As someone who actually grew up in Eastern Oregon (ama) yes they are incredibly redneck to the point where some communities actually have an accent I've yet to hear anywhere else. Of course your white comment is way off in some respects, some of my classes back East in elementary/middle school I was the only white kid (and one of a handful in others). Portland has been steadily improving on ethnic diversity though our cops are still bonkers racist.

By and large the Eastern residents don't give a flying gently caress about the rest of the state (or indeed national politics in general) at all. It's more like the two halves of the state ignore each other knowing that one is unable to ever influence the other in any meaningful way.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It isn't just Clark or Clackamas county, eastern Portland is also quite a different mixed bag.

Mixed bag for sure. Eastern Portland on out to Gresham has become a sort of dumping ground for all those pushed out by gentrification, and the general rise in home prices.

quote:

It isn't like Tigard or Beaverton are really that liberal either.

Some of the suburbs outside of Portland get a bad rap. While they may not be "liberal" in the left wing politics sense, they can often be more diverse and many are home to thriving minority communities. While Korean Christians, Indian business owners, and Mexican laborers might not be liberal by Portland hippy standards, they sure aren't conservative by CPAC standards.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Some of the suburbs outside of Portland get a bad rap. While they may not be "liberal" in the left wing politics sense, they can often be more diverse and many are home to thriving minority communities. While Korean Christians, Indian business owners, and Mexican laborers might not be liberal by Portland hippy standards, they sure aren't conservative by CPAC standards.

There are immigrant communities in Beaverton and in Washington County in general, but it is in general pretty white bread as a whole including aggressive police, lots of nimbyism and plenty of big boxes. Overall, if you want to see something interesting you go to Portland, if you want to see a cop in a Dodge Chargers make loops around a Best Buy, you go to Beaverton.

The politics are a real mixed bag too, there is a real recent surge against public transit and while Washington County is very modestly Democrat, it is by thin margin. The western extensions of Beaverton are pretty grim too, they way overbuilt a bunch of really cheap looking housing and there is very little open space or public services to speak of.

Washington County gets deserves a lot of the reputation it gets, there are some good restaurants here and there but eh, give me those hippies at least they can brew some beer.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
I lived in Bellingham, WA from 98 to 11. Now I'm in Orange County and missing walking all over downtown from bar to bar. PNW owns, but selectively. I'm pretty sure Bellingham voted down fluoride due to hippies. If there was anywhere that needed it, it was Bellingham/Ferndale/the Lummi native reservation near Ferndale. I saw so many reservation kids with rotted teeth... That poo poo's easy to prevent, but no, it's not naaaaatural. I miss going to Seattle and camping in Skagit county, but I like making U-turns. I give The Republic of Cascadia 4/5 stars. I also miss reading The Stranger and the Cascadia Weekly.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

There are immigrant communities in Beaverton and in Washington County in general, but it is in general pretty white bread as a whole including aggressive police, lots of nimbyism and plenty of big boxes. Overall, if you want to see something interesting you go to Portland, if you want to see a cop in a Dodge Chargers make loops around a Best Buy, you go to Beaverton.

The politics are a real mixed bag too, there is a real recent surge against public transit and while Washington County is very modestly Democrat, it is by thin margin. The western extensions of Beaverton are pretty grim too, they way overbuilt a bunch of really cheap looking housing and there is very little open space or public services to speak of.

Washington County gets deserves a lot of the reputation it gets, there are some good restaurants here and there but eh, give me those hippies at least they can brew some beer.

I lived in Los Angeles for a year. I work with plenty of recent immigrants from other states. It is really easy to get used to the local skew of the political spectrum to the point that one forgets just how conservative the rest of the country can be.

Oregon passed a same sex marriage ban by 57%. Utah passed their's with 66%, and Texas with a bit over 76%. Also, Oregon and Washington are some of the least religious states in the country. So while the conservatives here might bitch about mass transit, at least they aren't trying to ban abortion or contraceptives, or teach Creationism in public schools.

I find it both awesome and hilarious that people around here can still sort of beat themselves up for not being liberal enough, given that the conservatives here are pretty much just people that complain about taxes. I guess that is part of them being a mixed bag too. The hate for taxes is about all they can agree enough on to get enough votes to pass anything.

But overall, I'll take Beaverton cops over any southern California suburb. And I work with people who are in no hurry to move back to California, New Jersey, Louisiana, or Georgia.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If you want a lot of white supremacists, you want like Medford or Roseburg or the Washington/Idaho border. I dunno as much about Washington, but Oregon was a seriously racist place despite its geographical location. The KKK was huge here, a hundred years ago and the bigotry runs pretty deep in certain areas. Unfortunately, there is still some pretty loving deep bigotry left here. Hell, the racist language in the state constitution was only removed 5 or 10 years ago, iirc.

Even here in groovy, liberal Eugene, when an African-American woman ran for city council (a decade ago or so), she got so many death threats that she dropped out of the race. Sometimes I wish people here would stop worrying about vaccinations and CIA-mind-control black helicopters and deal with some of the real world problems.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

As someone who actually grew up in Eastern Oregon (ama) yes they are incredibly redneck to the point where some communities actually have an accent I've yet to hear anywhere else. Of course your white comment is way off in some respects, some of my classes back East in elementary/middle school I was the only white kid (and one of a handful in others). Portland has been steadily improving on ethnic diversity though our cops are still bonkers racist.

By and large the Eastern residents don't give a flying gently caress about the rest of the state (or indeed national politics in general) at all. It's more like the two halves of the state ignore each other knowing that one is unable to ever influence the other in any meaningful way.

I remember going to school in Eastern Oregon... One day one of the neighbors was really drunk or something and decided to start firing at the geese flying over with his handgun. That was when I learned what bullets flying overhead sound like.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 12, 2014

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh man I'm so excited to see a Pacific Northwest thread! I've lived in Seattle area my whole life and it is interesting to see the perspective of out of staters. And to learn more about Oregon, as that place is a mystery.

Regarding liquor privatization that was definitely a Costco initiative. The campaign funding was about $22 million from Costco, $50k from Trader Joes, and the rest was spare change. Another poster was right that Costco is currently taking a hit on their margins to keep it from being worse, and also there was some local coverage about how Costco was one of the only retailers to have proper inventory control. Grocery stores that just added a liquor aisle and called it good are have severe shoplifting issues.

Also for Washington politics, while I agree that they look dark blue there is a danger of Democrats losing a Senate seat or the governor's mansion in a good year for the GOP when combined with a strong challenger. In 2004, Christine Gregoire only beat Dino Rossi 1,373,361 to 1,373,228, and in 2010 Rossi popped up again to lose a senate race to incumbent Patty Murray 1,314,930 to 1,196,164 (which is pretty close for this state.)

To add to a previous question, what do people find to be good news sources for the Seattle area? My go-to source is the Seattle Times as they have excellent business and sports coverage, although they are anti-minimum wage increase and aren't helping to get the Sonics back.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Also for Washington politics, while I agree that they look dark blue there is a danger of Democrats losing a Senate seat or the governor's mansion in a good year for the GOP when combined with a strong challenger. In 2004, Christine Gregoire only beat Dino Rossi 1,373,361 to 1,373,228, and in 2010 Rossi popped up again to lose a senate race to incumbent Patty Murray 1,314,930 to 1,196,164 (which is pretty close for this state.)

Yes, there are counterexamples to Washington's solid-blue status. The 2004 governor's race was especially close, and I don't know why. Was Rossi a much better campaigner than Gregoire, or was it because Bush had coattails that year?

The other thing about those examples are they are getting older...I imagine that the electorate in Washington is drifting to the left, especially as the Republican party doubles down on its messaging as a regional party for the south and the rust belt.

Pope Fabulous XXIV
Aug 15, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Granted, a lot of the democrats in Oregon are pretty typical "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" types and usually are pro-business. Charlie Hales (the Mayor of Portland) falls very much into this category, and seems mostly focused at addressing the homeless issue with batons.

Just today I passed a bus bench that was slanted so steeply that you couldn't possibly sit on it, just sort of lean against it. At this point, why even have a bus bench at all? It still had the dividing bar too. :psyduck:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pope Fabulous XXIV posted:

Just today I passed a bus bench that was slanted so steeply that you couldn't possibly sit on it, just sort of lean against it. At this point, why even have a bus bench at all? It still had the dividing bar too. :psyduck:

For show I guess, I haven't seen those before though. Anyway, the homeless issue in Portland is giant and there is pretty much a giant (and rightful divide) between people who want more city spending on homeless services and basically "arrest them and throw them in jail" crowd lead by Hales and his friends the Portland Business Alliance.

Recently, Portland has started a pilot program where they first start charging people for minor crimes (loitering, littering), issue a summons for them and when they fail to show up, issue arrest warrants for them. So basically the grant strategy of Portland political and business elite is to more or less just fill the jails with people for even the most minor crimes. In addition, There is also a 3 month waiting period for shelters because there simply aren't enough for them even for families on the street. We'll see how this grand plan does into action.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

The-Mole posted:

If you want a lot of white supremacists, you want like Medford or Roseburg or the Washington/Idaho border. I dunno as much about Washington, but Oregon was a seriously racist place despite its geographical location. The KKK was huge here, a hundred years ago and the bigotry runs pretty deep in certain areas. Unfortunately, there is still some pretty loving deep bigotry left here. Hell, the racist language in the state constitution was only removed 5 or 10 years ago, iirc.

Don't forget the laws we had explicitly forbidding black people from settling in the state for decades (and then the laws that just made it stupid hard which we had for even more decades). :eng99:

The-Mole posted:

Even here in groovy, liberal Eugene, when an African-American woman ran for city council (a decade ago or so), she got so many death threats that she dropped out of the race. Sometimes I wish people here would stop worrying about vaccinations and CIA-mind-control black helicopters and deal with some of the real world problems.

I grew up in Eugene, and that shouldn't surprise me; pretty much the instant you leave the UO or LCC campuses you stop seeing non-white (and non-40+ yo) people entirely, but gently caress.

Ardennes posted:

Recently, Portland has started a pilot program where they first start charging people for minor crimes (loitering, littering), issue a summons for them and when they fail to show up, issue arrest warrants for them. So basically the grant strategy of Portland political and business elite is to more or less just fill the jails with people for even the most minor crimes. In addition, There is also a 3 month waiting period for shelters because there simply aren't enough for them even for families on the street. We'll see how this grand plan does into action.

For loving serious? What, are they just going to arrest half of everyone who goes downtown?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Yes, there are counterexamples to Washington's solid-blue status. The 2004 governor's race was especially close, and I don't know why. Was Rossi a much better campaigner than Gregoire, or was it because Bush had coattails that year?

The other thing about those examples are they are getting older...I imagine that the electorate in Washington is drifting to the left, especially as the Republican party doubles down on its messaging as a regional party for the south and the rust belt.

Washington, despite going consistently democratic when it counts, has always been very much a 48/52 state (and sometimes even closer) so it does not take much to make a race incredibly tight. Rossi was an okay campaigner, the republicans in general were very strong that cycle, and the democrats who were volunteering and super passionate about democratic causes in 2004 on the ground spent their time being passionate about Kerry/Bush rather than pushing Gregoire would be my guesses based on what I saw but I am no pollster.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ernie Muppari posted:

For loving serious? What, are they just going to arrest half of everyone who goes downtown?

Well not the paying customers obviously (they will just ticket people who look homeless). It is a way to get around to the now dead "sit-lie" law that was declared unconstitutional, which theoretically would allow police to roust anyone who "sits or lies" on the sidewalk. Ever since it was struck down, downtown businesses have been trying to find a way to get around it and the new pilot program is the latest example. On big thing is that the business community absolutely hates kids who arrive during the summer downtown and wants them gone with no exceptions.

"Portlandia" is not as liberal as advertised.

As far as Eugene, I get a kick out of the "no bus expansion" signs. To be honest, Eugene seems kind of a empty town even for its relative smallish size. There just doesn't seem to be a lot going on there period especially for a college town, some strip malls, housing and maybe a handful of bars.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 12, 2014

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I grew up in Oregon and one of my most Oregon memories is getting my yearly Neo-Nazi recruitment letter and soberly placing it in the recycling bin.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Ardennes posted:

Well not the paying customers obviously (they will just ticket people who look homeless). It is a way to get around to the now dead "sit-lie" law that was declared unconstitutional, which theoretically would allow police to roust anyone who "sits or lies" on the sidewalk. Ever since it was struck down, downtown businesses have been trying to find a way to get around it and the new pilot program is the latest example. On big thing is that the business community absolutely hates kids who arrive during the summer downtown and wants them gone with no exceptions.

As far as Eugene, I get a kick out of the "no bus expansion" signs. To be honest, Eugene seems kind of a empty town even for its relative smallish size. There just doesn't seem to be a lot going on there period especially for a college town, some strip malls, housing and maybe a handful of bars.

Yeah I'm facing being another homeless 30 year old here in P-Town if I can't make something happen in a couple weeks and it will not be fun. At least its not Manhattan I guess. But yeah the shelter situation is horrible. At least we still have food stamps...

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Ardennes posted:

Oh obviously, you don't want all that riff-raff getting in the way of the important strip club related business people do there.

Ardennes posted:

Woah woah woah, I haven't really paid attention to Eugenian politics since I moved away, please tell me more about how the hill-people are upset that there might be more busses. :D

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

The-Mole posted:

If you want a lot of white supremacists, you want like Medford or Roseburg or the Washington/Idaho border.

To put it into perspective, Medford and Roseburg are a 100 miles from anything.

Nut jobs trying to set up shop in way out in the middle of nowhere aren't limited to white racists either.

And Indian guru and his follower attempted to create a a town, and when the locals started complaining they tried to just take over the local government, going so far as to spread salmonella in near by restaurants.

More recently was an alleged terrorist training camp with ties to al-Qaeda.

Beat around the brush here, and you can find wackos of all stripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And Indian guru and his follower attempted to create a a town, and when the locals started complaining they tried to just take over the local government, going so far as to spread salmonella in near by restaurants.

There was a pro-Rajneeshi poster around here just a few months ago. I'm not even joking.

• Locked thread