Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Kaal posted:

I'm not intimately familiar with Portland police, but Oregon police are pretty notorious for targeting progressive youths (being as the police forces are the last true bastion of conservative power in the state). In Eugene that means raiding co-op/metal shows and attacking protesters, in Corvallis that means constant vice patrols through student neighborhoods and targeting punk street kids, and in Portland that means intimidating hip hop/gay warehouse events with overwhelming force. And I'm sure Ashland would have its own problems if the police department there wasn't such a chaotic shitshow and mostly focused on either combating California drug traffickers or being bribed by them. I would say that age and politics probably has a lot more to do with it than race.

It sounds like the City Auditors Office will be stepping in to take a look at things, and recently they've shown a willingness to tangle with the Portland Police Bureau, so perhaps something will come of that.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-31327-portland_cops_treatment_of_hip_hop_shows_will_be_investigated_in_wake_of_blue_monk_incident.html
http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/are-hip-hop-shows-targeted-by-portland-police/
I feel like Portland Police have a real race problem, probably like a lot of cities, but it seems even more apparent in Portland when we have such a small population of minorities and so many incidents or shootings. I remember one where two police thought they were alone and were harassing two black guys in a parking garage who were unarmed. I wish I could find the article, but the police had their guns out and were escalating the situation and two witnesses hiding in a car thought they were going to kill the men. The two men eventually won a big lawsuit thanks only to the people that hid and witnessed the event. It's really not an isolated incident and quite frankly, I would probably have moved long ago if I were black. It just seems like such a disadvantage in every aspect of life here. If you read the comments on local news sites, even talk to friends, or parent of friends, or relatives about race, I have been uncomfortable on more than one occasion, unfortunately. Portland is really white, and maybe it's just that sometimes the only exposure people have to the black community is through news reports of gang shootings and the like, and possibly most of the police interaction withy the black community is the same. Anyway, just my observations, so it may not be much different from cities with higher minority populations, but it seems like it.

Edit: I should say, Portland is a beautiful city and I probably will never leave the northwest because I love it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread