Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

What makes you assume that it is even possible to "erase something from the public consciousness"? This has been tried over and over in many places throughout history and it's failed virtually every single time.

And regardless of how lovely the caste system is, ultimately you're arguing from a stance of cultural superiority here, aren't you?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I don't know about that -- I think the "divine right of kings" and the "great chain of being" were considered common sense or just facts of life by the vast majority of people in Medieval Europe, but nowadays such ideas are considered laughable. What changes did it take to accomplish that, or to introduce and cement the now-common idea that slavery is never acceptable?

But to do that, people didn't erase the existence of slavery, or divine right of kingship from human memory as you seem to suggest. You can't erase facts like so much Yezhov; it's a crime against history itself.

Those changes didn't come about overnight, they were the result of hundreds of years of cultural and social evolution. Such things also are practically impossible to "plan" by their nature.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

That's absolutely true, but I don't know that some form of colonialism can't be part of a solution in theory -- I don't trust America or anyone else to do it in reality. But suppose some invader came into a country, banned all discrimination against LGBT people, but didn't reap any financial reward for it or do anything else really. That would be some kind of colonialism, maybe, but I'd still support it if the end result were good.

History's greatest crimes were committed in the hope that "the end result was good."

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I doubt Owlbot's ideal government would be in any way transparent, seeing as he seems to think Stalinism is a workable form of governance that could deal with the many and varied problems facing India.

• Locked thread