Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The most fundamental problems are cultural and as such the answer to the thread title is "there is nothing we can do, let alone should do".

Colonialism is a helluva drug, it takes time to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I've no use for your pithy remarks.

I don't think the last point is true at all. Iranians are no longer mostly Zoroastrian, Germanic and Slavic peoples don't worship Odin and Perun, and Latin Americans are Catholic even though each of these groups preserves some echoes of the former culture.

Zoroastrianism died out without any help from outside influences and the Germanic and Slavic peoples largely adopted Christianity on their own terms (Rome had imploded and if adopting Christianity wasn't so convenient for co opting the social structures the Romans left behind they might not have at all). I can't speak for South Americans except to say the death toll from plague was astronomical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I bet a lot of shitbags get mad whenever we pass a law like "don't beat your wife". We tell them to eat poo poo and if they break that law we put them in jail. I bet Bumfuck Nebraska hates a lot of laws that DC passes. Sucks for them.

Such laws are unenforceable unless underlying social/cultural attitudes shift to a point where "suck it up and bow to the authority of the federal government" is the reaction you can expect as opposed to "slap her even harder so she doesn't get any legal ideas".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It was worse before the British got there. I'm just glad that the roads and railroads got build and cities were established. Who knows what India would be like without Calcutta and Bombay?

India would have benefitted like Hong Kong if the British stayed until the 90's.

Haha oh my.

• Locked thread