Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Typo posted:

The Caste system was largely obsolete in many parts of India (like the Punjab) by the 19th century, then the British came in and essentially reinstalled it.

Considering the fact that it largely ingrained into the public consciousness by colonialism there is nothing impossible about removing it.

You are going to need to give a source for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nothing really can be done in such an ingrained issue filled region. I mean even colonizing or whatever would need to involve bringing back the "well in my culture we hang people who do [insane backwards thing like widow burning or gang rape as punishment] so let's see what culture wins" type of argument and that's not really effective or pleasant.

Charles James Napier posted:

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_James_Napier

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Which is why after the collapse of the Soviet Union everyone remained atheists instead of immediately converting to Russian Orthodox Christianity.

Wait, no they didn't.

What is your point here? That propaganda never works? Because nobody is arguing that it always works..

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

And regardless of how lovely the caste system is, ultimately you're arguing from a stance of cultural superiority here, aren't you?

Yes, some cultures are better than others.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Actually, to be honest the "Culture X is better than Culture Y" is problematic. There are certainly aspects of cultures which may be objectively worse but it's kind of dismissive to say that the entire culture of a region is fundamentally inferior.

You see a similar issue elsewhere - for example, the classic "Islam is misogynistic" rant by Islamophobes. Islam as a religion is not misogynistic, much as India as a culture is not misogynistic, there are just those who fall under the given groups that are misogynistic, and that can be dealt with more directly.

You couldn't say that Islam is misogynistic, but you could say that KSA has a lovely misogynistic culture. You couldn't say that Christians are racists but you could say that the American South has a lovely racist culture.

e:beaten

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
actually every culture on earth is misogynistic to a degree so whatever.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

yes. those societies are bad and should change.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Nobody is talking about culture in black and white anyway- think of it as different shades of brown. American culture is dogshit, but indian culture is a poo poo river filled with floating corpses.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Honest question: would India be worse off today under British rule?

E:
Same question phrased differently: In what ways is India better now because of self rule?

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 12, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I really wasn't trying to be snarky or anything when I asked what India and Pakistan gained by separating from Britain. I am assuming that Britain was looting their resources or something right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Owlbot 2000 is right, some people are arguing with a faulty definition of imperialism that has been neutered to mean "any outside intervention"

• Locked thread