Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

paco650 posted:

Isn't that the part where they put in the shortcut to bypass the entire area?

If that exists, I don't know about it.

I just know about the equipment-damaging bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a ladder next to the starting bonfire you can climb then just slide over to the exit. You used to have to knock it down originally but SotFS made it unlocked from the start.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, the Dragon Aerie is where From decided to have mercy on the player in SotFS. When I saw that the ladder was down I said, "thank you, Jesus," and skipped the whole drat area. I always hated the Aerie.

And they turned the Dragon Shrine from one of my most hated areas into my favorite area in the game. The difference is mind-blowing. Hint: Don't attack the dragon knights and don't run past the drakekeepers without killing them. And whatever you do, DON'T SUMMON ANYONE, not even the NPC. If you already have summoned someone before you get to the shrine, send them home before you proceed.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a ladder next to the starting bonfire you can climb then just slide over to the exit. You used to have to knock it down originally but SotFS made it unlocked from the start.

oh my god they did what have i been doing

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
K so what's the most grossly OP PvE build for SotFS?

I want to try it again, but I don't want the tedium of dealing with turntable enemies, etc, so I want the closest thing to Easy Mode the game has.

Hit me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HaB posted:

K so what's the most grossly OP PvE build for SotFS?

I want to try it again, but I don't want the tedium of dealing with turntable enemies, etc, so I want the closest thing to Easy Mode the game has.

Hit me.

Start out with the mace to take the edge off armored enemies, put your first 15-20 levels into ADP of course, and once you have enough shards to get to +3, get the rapier from Lenigrast and pump DEX. Later pump INT and put crystal magic weapon on there. Lategame switch to ice rapier or espada.

Alternative answers: katanas are really good, particularly when powerstanced with thrusting swords/curved swords. Hexer is the strongest pure caster, dark orb is highly spammable and the build gives you the ability to use every other school of magic as well so you have options. Lastly they're not as good as the others I mentioned but I have a soft spot for ultra greatswords, their ability to pancake humanoid enemies makes a lot of the game trivial.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

put your first 15-20 levels into ADP of course

People keep on saying this, but I still think an early investment in Vigor is way more helpful and that 90-95 AGL is fine for the early to mid game.

Don't forget to make that Ice Rapier magic.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Or powerstance Clubs, L1 R1 combo

Or 2H Large or Great Club and R2 pancake your way to Valhalla

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

beepstreet posted:

Or powerstance Clubs, L1 R1 combo

Or 2H Large or Great Club and R2 pancake your way to Valhalla

Great Club pancakes is fantastic. When you get the timing down only the biggest enemies will be able to resist being pronelocked, and you'll have massive AR in any case so no sweat.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Regulation Size posted:

Great Club pancakes is fantastic. When you get the timing down only the biggest enemies will be able to resist being pronelocked, and you'll have massive AR in any case so no sweat.

Pancaking made getting through the Frigid Outskirts manageable. Those drat reindeer aren't fun.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
K so...

I followed skasion's advice, and went with the Rapier, which is currently +5. It's working fine - doing decent damage, etc.

I swear, I am REALLY trying to like DS2, but...ehhhhh. So far I have done: FoFG, Heide's (Dragonrider, at least), Wharf, Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise. Just got to Huntsman's Copse. So I have some questions - some rhetorical, some not. ;)

- Where is the key that unlocked the side areas so you could light the oil thingy for Lost Sinner? Didn't that key also unlock the door by the blacksmith?

- Did they change AI or Barrel physics? Because getting that dipshit to roll the barrel into the wall for the bonfire was nigh impossible, and I don't recall it ever being that way. I actually had to go back and beat Pursuer, so I could come at the Bastille from the other direction and push the barrel myself. Even then it didn't explode when it hit. I had to shoot it with a Fire Arrow.

- is there anything good gated behind the statue leading to Ruin Sentinels? Is it worth using a branch on?

- one of the "improvements" I heard SotFS made was "less rear end in a top hat enemy placements". Is the Flexile Sentry in waist-deep water some exception to that rule? That seemed WAY more of a dick move than the Mutated Hollow or whatever it was called that was down there which you could easily lure up the stairs and into the hole.

- speaking of rear end in a top hat enemy placements...uh...ALL of the Wharf? I don't recall that area being a constant brawl before. I never did figure out how to open the shortcut gate. And where is Gavlan now?

- in Huntsman's Copse, did they change the aggro range for the pole sitting executioner guys? I killed the first one, and was inching forward to aggro the 2nd and ALL of the rest of them aggro'd. Also: holy leash distance, batman! I ran all the way back to the bonfire and they were still chasing me.

- could you always not roll in one direction and attack in another? I am whiffing a LOT of attacks after rolling, and I don't recall that being a thing in vanilla. I mean like: I roll left, and attack while holding the stick to the right as I am getting up, but I still attack left. That seems a bit unfair in light of the turntable enemies I am facing who can constantly do poo poo like that to me.

- who do you give the respec thingy to? I flirted briefly with the idea of adding Pyro to the build but meh. Would rather respec those points back into something else.

I swear I'm trying to like it. I liked Vanilla enough to beat it like 4 times, and the fisticuffs run I did was some of the most fun I ever had playing Souls. But mannnnn it's making it hard to like, it seems.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoever told you it had 'less rear end in a top hat enemy placements' was a thief and a liar, in fact it goes out of its way to have more

You can give the respec items to one of the old Firekeepers in the house next to the Things Betwixt bonfire.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 17, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HaB posted:

K so...

I followed skasion's advice, and went with the Rapier, which is currently +5. It's working fine - doing decent damage, etc.

I swear, I am REALLY trying to like DS2, but...ehhhhh. So far I have done: FoFG, Heide's (Dragonrider, at least), Wharf, Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise. Just got to Huntsman's Copse. So I have some questions - some rhetorical, some not. ;)

- Where is the key that unlocked the side areas so you could light the oil thingy for Lost Sinner? Didn't that key also unlock the door by the blacksmith?

- Did they change AI or Barrel physics? Because getting that dipshit to roll the barrel into the wall for the bonfire was nigh impossible, and I don't recall it ever being that way. I actually had to go back and beat Pursuer, so I could come at the Bastille from the other direction and push the barrel myself. Even then it didn't explode when it hit. I had to shoot it with a Fire Arrow.

- is there anything good gated behind the statue leading to Ruin Sentinels? Is it worth using a branch on?

- one of the "improvements" I heard SotFS made was "less rear end in a top hat enemy placements". Is the Flexile Sentry in waist-deep water some exception to that rule? That seemed WAY more of a dick move than the Mutated Hollow or whatever it was called that was down there which you could easily lure up the stairs and into the hole.

- speaking of rear end in a top hat enemy placements...uh...ALL of the Wharf? I don't recall that area being a constant brawl before. I never did figure out how to open the shortcut gate. And where is Gavlan now?

- in Huntsman's Copse, did they change the aggro range for the pole sitting executioner guys? I killed the first one, and was inching forward to aggro the 2nd and ALL of the rest of them aggro'd. Also: holy leash distance, batman! I ran all the way back to the bonfire and they were still chasing me.

- could you always not roll in one direction and attack in another? I am whiffing a LOT of attacks after rolling, and I don't recall that being a thing in vanilla. I mean like: I roll left, and attack while holding the stick to the right as I am getting up, but I still attack left. That seems a bit unfair in light of the turntable enemies I am facing who can constantly do poo poo like that to me.

- who do you give the respec thingy to? I flirted briefly with the idea of adding Pyro to the build but meh. Would rather respec those points back into something else.

I swear I'm trying to like it. I liked Vanilla enough to beat it like 4 times, and the fisticuffs run I did was some of the most fun I ever had playing Souls. But mannnnn it's making it hard to like, it seems.

The Bastille key is no longer gated behind the Gargoyles, it's just past Servant's Quarters. It does unlock both those doors and a couple of others.

The barrel physics were always a bit janky and it was and is a complete crapshoot whether the rolling barrel breaks the wall or not. I have better luck by rushing to the top before he can push it down, killing him quickly, and then pushing it down myself.

There's the sentinels themselves, who give a decent amount of souls. I don't recall the loot in that zone being any different in SOTFS, but you can't get to the Belfry without fighting Sentinels, and that's a decent way to get chunks early.

The enemy placements are by no means less assholish, but by and large I prefer them. It also makes a bit more sense to me that there'd be a flexile sentry in Sinner's Rise (since they're associated with the Bastille) than a bunch of malformed undead (since they don't really have anything to do with the Bastille but are associated with Aldia). I mean, just wait till you get to Iron Keep if you want to see a challenging repositioning of enemies.

The wharf is another good example of what I mean. It's a pretty serious challenge if you just rush straight there from the start of the game. You can't just run past the varangians or at some point you're going to turn around and find ten of them chasing you and their little dogs too. And a darkstalker probably. The biggest reason for this is that enemies are much more inclined to chase you in SOTFS. They have a bigger aggro range (in some areas enemies will come charging towards you before you ever see their spawn location) and it takes a lot more to make them leave you alone, too. The shortcut gate opens from the same location it always did, but the area is so hectic and high pressure that it can be easier to just leave it alone. Gavlan definitely did move, on the other hand, but he's still hanging out in the second half of the Wharf.

The torturer guys group aggro, yes. They're easy enough to run through though.

I basically don't use rolling attacks at all in this game unless I am rolling straight forward. DS2 doesn't really like circle strafing in a number of ways, and the rolling attacks being lovely to time is one of those ways.

Soul vessels go to the old ladies at the start.

I like SOTFS a lot better than the original DS2, with the caveat that as a DS2 redux it does not have a big enough scope to fix a lot of the game's fundamental problems. But I think it makes a lot of improvements and would just recommend approaching it the same way you would a new game in the series, cautiously.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think you get a spell in one of the illusory walls of Ruin Sentinels so if you care about that you should use a branch there. Also, skipping a boss would suck. There are plenty of branches laying around.

The barrel was always a dick, even in vanilla, you were just lucky before.

The torture guys in the Copse aggro together depending on if they can see you. Pull from far away with arrows and you can still go 1 on 1 usually.

Gavlan is where Lucatiel's summon sign was in vanilla (where you open the shortcut that leads back to the big house/Pharros lockstone spot)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So what's a good infusion for my Rapier if I am pure Dex?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nothing. This game doesn't have any equivalent to heavy/sharp/refined. If you have crappy scaling stats try raw. If you have magic, infuse and then use your magic weapon buff. Otherwise just leave it as is, and be sure to wear the Ring of Blades.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

Nothing. This game doesn't have any equivalent to heavy/sharp/refined. If you have crappy scaling stats try raw. If you have magic, infuse and then use your magic weapon buff. Otherwise just leave it as is, and be sure to wear the Ring of Blades.

Also Flynn's Ring, unless you've already pumped your Vit a bunch. LeoOld Dragonslayer's Ring to round out the mandatory rings, then Stone or Third Dragon's Ring to preference.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Givin this a shot again. Someone said that Caestus was better in DS2, and I really liked it in DS3.

It's really hard getting used to everything being so slow again. Just beat Dragon Rider. Holy poo poo it's really really funny how much easier he is to fight than the regular enemies in the area. The Old Knights do about twice as much damage per hit as the Dragon Rider. So while they 2 shot me and attack in combos of big sweeping attacks, the Dragon rider does one poke then waits, then does one poke, then dies.

I forgot to put points in adaptability.

The thing I miss the most from BB and DS3 is being able to buffer my attack during a roll. That's what makes it hard to go back to DS 1 and 2 after getting used to actually being locked onto a target, rather than just the camera being locked.

edit: Pursuer down. Does he have like 3x hp when you fight him outside the cardinal tower? Because I did about the same damage to him fighting him in his boss area, but it actually put a dent in his bar when I hit him...

I should know this, but the fextralife wiki doesn't mention it and it's been like a year since I played.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 9, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

edit: Pursuer down. Does he have like 3x hp when you fight him outside the cardinal tower? Because I did about the same damage to him fighting him in his boss area, but it actually put a dent in his bar when I hit him...

I'm pretty sure he has less HP when you fight him in front of the tower, but he also doesn't get a health bar.

PS you should know that as usual with the older Dark Souls threads, the console threads are mostly dead while the PC threads are where the majority of the discussion takes place, which is why it took 2 days for someone to notice and respond.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&pagenumber=1459#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm pretty sure he has less HP when you fight him in front of the tower, but he also doesn't get a health bar.

PS you should know that as usual with the older Dark Souls threads, the console threads are mostly dead while the PC threads are where the majority of the discussion takes place, which is why it took 2 days for someone to notice and respond.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&pagenumber=1459#lastpost

Yeah, I just couldn't find the PC thread at all. I will migrate there.

• Locked thread