Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cephas posted:

It shouldn't be difficult to find this game in stores tomorrow without having it pre-ordered, right? I'm old and video game sales are confusing to me now. I know gamestop is a butt about buying new games that you haven't pre-ordered but they're usually the only ones like that, right?

I have always had good luck and just wandering into Target on release day for new games. Any stores like that are pretty good bets, in my experience, unless the game is extremely niche, in which case they just might not carry the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

From someone who died a lot in Dark Souls, this is the only part that concerns me. After dying a few times to a boss, am I just going to want to give up for good because my character is half as strong as he used to be, and the boss is still kicking my rear end?

If difficulty is balanced more around 50% health, than 100%, then no. Don't think of it as punishment, but losing a bonus. Said bonus exists to give you a buffer to learn encounters. Encounters which are otherwise balanced around you handling them well enough at 50% health, provided you have some experience under your belt. Enter, that health bonus.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Oh, neat. Amazon estimated delivery for the 13th, but updated last night to release day delivery. Sure enough, tracking shows it is practically right next door. That was a nice surprise.

Hope too many of you goons didn't lose too much sleep. Hopefully I can get in and start contributing before we reach 1mil deaths.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hivac posted:

During rolls? As far as I can tell, I can't roll through attacks which really gives me a hard time not getting slaughtered. Also backstabbing is basically a death trap that will get you pummelled in anything but a 1-on-1.

How much adaptability do you have?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hivac posted:

I'm not at my PS3 right now, but I think around 7? However much the warrior/soldier/whatever class starts with. Is there something I'm missing about that stat?

Well, i-frame mechanics are an enormously complex issue, but adaptability otherwise improves your dodging, on top of the other stuff.

I just wanted to get a baseline so people can start comparing. Like "I have 6, and I can dodge everything just fine." which would mean that i-frames are very very limited, and frankly, you just need to "git gud", but in the spirit of being helpful, it eliminates variables. Someone saying the same when they have 12 adaptability wouldn't mean anything if they are comparing their 12 adpt to yo 7.

It'll also help us figure out at what stat levels adaptability seems to provide benefits. Lastly, if it just turns out you need to "git gud", then, well, next time you hit 50% max health, just go out and start practicing. Monster Hunter i-frames are extremely tight, compared to the first dark souls. It takes a while to really get a good sense of which couple of animation frames actually provide invincibility, but it can be difficult going until you do.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hivac posted:

I actually find it easier to dodge in MH so far :v: It seems like there's a large difference between midroll and fastroll in this game compared to DaS1, which kind of gets on my nerves, but what can you do.

Yeah, although limited, the i-frames in Monster Hunter are immediate, as soon as you hit the button (the very next frame update after pressing dodge). What is going on here, may be the frames being somewhere in the middle of the roll, which means it really difficult to get a handle on. Good comparison is the wind-up on shield parry. You may have to preempt dodges a little bit more. Anyway, if you're OK with Monster Hunter, take some time to just practice dodging the next time dieing will no longer dent your max health. Good luck.

casual poster posted:

Whoa this thread moves fast. 14 pages in only two days?
Ha ha. I think you mean 14 pages in 9 hours.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Has anyone found the Knight class starting armor in-game? If so, could you spoiler the location for me?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hivac posted:

If this is actually the case, that would remove much of the reaction involved in dodging/parrying attacks and would, in my opinion, come with a much greater amount of needless risk than there is in either DeS or DaS1. I really hope that it's not the case, because I feel like it would make a large chunk of the game's mechanics incredibly unfun, "get gud" or otherwise.
Well, it would make getting an accurate feel for when it is safe to dodge, and worst, it wouldn't be intuitive. Definitely listen to Genocyber. I'm just spitting out ideas at the moment in an effort to help get a better picture of how dodge mechanics work while I kill time waiting for the mail and I can actually play myself. If Genocyber is saying they're at the start of the rolls, then try being painfully deliberate about your dodge timing. If you're having trouble, and that's even coming from Monster Hunter experience, I'm really anxious to get into this, because dodging was way too good in earlier games. It'll be nice to see it be something much more risky this time, and otherwise something reserved more for when the player REALLY knows their opponent. Especially considering how risky turtling has become.

Seriously, good luck. Report back if you figure out the i-frame timing a little better. Now the game is officially released, the community effort begins.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

is the dagger and axe not dual wieldable with each other, or is the dual wield stance out entirely?
Dual wielding needs weapons of similar class, and even then I believe you also need 150% of the base stat requirements to activate power stance on a viable dual-wield combo.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Does anyone know how the summoned phantoms mechanics work? I am being summoned, but my phantom only lasts for a brief period, in Heide's Ruin. On the other hand, it seems my phantom lasts quite a while in Forest of Fallen Giants. What gives?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The method of summoning matters. The small white soap stone only summons for a short time, the large white one stays around longer.

using the same soap stone. Only difference is the location.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
How do I use Power Stance? I'm pretty sure I have 1.5x base requirements for the weapons I am trying to use are identical, but tapping triangle twice does nothing but basically bring me in and out of 2hand main weapon.

I am trying to use it with Caestus. Does that weapon just not have a power stance?

EDIT: vvv thank you much.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 14, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Primetime posted:

So, just picked up this game yesterday, and I'm only an hour or two in, but is it me or does equipment degrade a lot faster in 2 than in 1. In DS1 I don't think I ever had any equipment break unless I flat out neglected to repair it, yet after playing for an hour I'd already broken 2 swords (started swordmaster or whatever) before getting to the first blacksmith.
Just look at the durability numbers. Where it used to only be Crystal weapons with all of 20 durability, pretty much everything is under 50 this time around. Weapons don't exactly degrade faster. They just have MUCH less durability. The trade off is, they automatically repair at bonfires (unless actually broken) and if you successfully coop (Duty Fulfilled) you will also have durability restored.

Its mostly just balance against spell casters. You technically have a limited number of times you can use your weapon. Make your hits count, and don't hit walls whenever you can avoid it. Personally, I have't had any trouble. Haven't broken a single weapon, and I've been sticking with relatively fragile rapiers. If you 2 hand, or else keep your weapons upgraded, you should be fine.

quote:

Does the higher enemy density/ spaced out bonfires persist, or is this just my imagination.
Its mostly your imagination. Areas tend to loop on themselves, so what you may be missing is some sort of shortcut unlock that allows you to use an existing bonfire for the second leg of a zone.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SleepySonata posted:

Spellcasting degrades your source.

I wasn't aware catalysts would deteriorate from use. From what I have been hearing, yeah, they really did a number on casters this time. Still, report back around end game. If it trends toward "painful start, powerful end", then that is just par for spell casters in RPGs of this sort, if not exactly par for Souls. Only thing then is whether or not it remains balanced in PvP, since no matter how difficult the beginning, no class should be any better/worse than another around 'competition' level.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Ok, so trying to dual wield as hosed me in the rear end, because I basically blew all of my titanites on two weapons, which only vaguely increases me damage over 2handing, and even then, only on some enemies. Otherwise, it is often a wash. I desperately need to upgrade armor finally, but I simply do not have any upgrade materials. How do I fix this with some sort of renewable source of small and large shards? Spoilers, please.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

queeb posted:

how good is dual wielding? would I go a mix of str and dex for it or straight dex?

Dual wielding is, eh. Its not bad, since it basically allows you to double dip on stat scaling, but it is situational. While you can technically pick up extra stat bonus damage per 'swing', you are still hitting twice, which means you only really see the benefit on unarmored targets. Any "soft" bosses, of course, it works great on, and with enough upgrades it work well enough either way.

That said, upgrades are a premium, early on. What you can do with dual-wielding you can do with 2handing the same weapon, generally. In that case, you won't deal so much damage to softer targets, but you will deal more damage to armored targets. Combined with the 1.5x base stat requirements, and the fact you REALLY should probably use your shards to upgrade a few situational weapons, and I can't recommend dual wielding until 'late' game, or at least after you unlock some sort of dependable source of shards.

Instead of pumping DEX/STR to hit dual wield thresholds, just level up VIT/ADP/END or even VIG more. The rest into keeping your weapon current.

Once you open a drat shop that sells shards, yeah, then it might be worth loving around with more weapons.

Lastly, that isn't all there is to dual wield. It will be a nice mechanism for applying bleed/poison, but since neither will be universally beneficial, and naturally require MORE weapon upgrades, the general theme remains. Wait until you can buy shards.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

The bird seems to be the only way to get that bonfire though... otherwise you can only get the Blacksmith and the Servant's Quarter bonfire.

No one said to not go to it. Just don't continue further into Bastille after you do.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Maremidon posted:

So what does bleed do in this game?

Builds up as a status. When the status 'triggers' you take a load of damage, based on the strength of the bleed effect being applied, and the maximum health of the target suffering the bleed effect. This is how it worked in Dark Souls, and generally speaking it is still a status, and still causes a big chunk of health loss when it triggers, but from there (whether it is a % of max health, or influenced by the weapon which triggers the bleed may have changed).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SleepySonata posted:

This is the only mechanic I have a real problem with. It actively makes the game less fun as you play it and fucks up the linear character progression I come to the souls series for. I know NG+ has new and better goodies but having to say you can't with 100% certainty farm this build out for NG+ or tell someone they can't just farm their way out of a rut feels really lame.
But that's not true at all. Acetics, although rare or at least obnoxious to get, can reset areas you want to farm specifically, and if you just need souls, coop or invade. They WANT you to just push right into NG+, but it certainly is not a requirement. For anyone stuck in a rut, again, coop.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

But what if the rut you're stuck in is needing to summon help for a boss? If you're out of effigies, and can't farm the dogs that sometimes drop them because they're de-spawned...big ol "gently caress you."

There should at least be a vendor that sells an unlimited amount of them.

Now, this is currently believed to be a bug, and it is tedious as gently caress, but coop. Drop your sign. There is currently a chance to restore humanity after being summoned. You don't have to win, or anything. You can die immediately, the host can die. I think you can even black crystal out, and when you get back, there is a chance you will be human.

If they patch that, and the ONLY way to return human is by using effigies, sure. That is a point. Currently? Well, the random restoration is obnoxious, but there IS an out, and in the process you will end up with more souls than you know what to do with.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Goddammit! Six effigies wasted so far on this loving triple sentinel boss, and half the time I can't even get to the boss cause my teammates all die in 5 seconds to the ambush and i'm left trying to fight them all off solo. Where's a Sunbro when you need him? :(
Just summon them at the boss door.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, No Man's Wharf only has one bonfire huh. Kinda rough, though I guess the shortcut helps a bit.

With the shortcut open, it isn't a very bad boss run.

You can run past all of Hollows and Varangians early in the level up to the shortcut. Only NPCs you really need to kill in the first half is the one immediately in front of the shortcut, and the one immediately after.

Following that, there is a sconce right outside the shortcut building you can light your torch on for dealing with the two arm creatures. After, is a small ambush right after you get on the docks, but you can plink two of them with a bow/xbow/spells, and the third can just be killed normally, which just leaves the boat. You could probably just rush the boss door outright. I usually just slow down after the shortcut, because the dock ambush, and the mess of vagarians on the boat will probably just stagger lock you to death if one of them gets a quick hit on you.

I had the same impulse my first time through, however. I was CONFIDENT there would be a second bonfire around somewhere, but while the boss run is a bit complex, really isn't all that bad. I don't even try to rush it. Just methodically kill everything along the way, EXCEPT for the house that is full of sleeping vagarian. Just sprint through there, killing the one vagarian right in front of the shortcut.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's actually the same weapon class, not the same weapon. So two straight swords of any type, two katanas of any type, etc.

To shift into power stance, you have to hold the triangle button, pressing it just two-hands your right weapon (if you can't power stance, you'll two-hand your left weapon by holding the button)

It isn't even necessarily weapon class, just that weapons can believably support the same attack types. You can mix curved swords, thrusting swords, straight swords, daggers, etc, but you can not, in my experience, mix clubs with swords. Katanas may be their own thing. Some combinations might be better than others. Usually mixing weapon classes isn't a good idea, I'm not a fan of the curved sword move set, and it seems to take priority. Daggers are generally based on being fast, or applying status (and naturally hitting quickly to apply statuses, so equipping them with anything other than other daggers is usually just hobbling yourself.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

A.C. posted:

Why is removing sin so drat expensive in this game :( I want to remove Sin because I think that will calm down the blacksmith, who hates me and wants to kill me, but from just invading one player to get a token to join the Brothers of Blood and buy pyromancies, and accidentally aggroing the blacksmith, it's going to cost me over 100k. drat.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

This only it told me 120k last night, and I farmed that up and went back and it tells me 160k now. I didn't do anything between last night and now besides kill dudes in Iron Keep :psyduck:
it is an attribute of total sin and soul level. Soul level probably has the greatest influence. If you didn't level up, well... I'm at a loss.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Alluring skulls work brilliantly on suicide zombies.

Unfortunately, there are three types of prisoner hollows. There is one type without a glowing chest (I believe) will not do the 'fall down, explode into poo poo tons of damage'. There is one type with a red glowing chest, that will do the 'fall down, explode into poo poo tons of damage' that will simultaneously kill themselves in the process. Finally, there is one type with a yellow-green sort of gaseous glowing chest that will also do the 'fall down, explode into poo poo tons of damage', but will also get the gently caress back up afterward and perform fast gently caress melee attacks that, I believe, have some sort of absurdly high counter-damage modifier, because on the one hand I have taken gently caress all damage from their melee's, and on the other I have taken 3/4s of my total health from them. Seems to have been roughly the same melee attack.

Of these, the type that get back up are by far the more dangerous, even if their explosion effect deals less damage (not sure), because their melee is still dangerous, they tend to come in groups, so another can sneak up on you will you're focused on the still living prisoner hollow and do their 'fall down, explode into poo poo tons of damage' attack. I think as added insult, the ones with the green gas also inflict petrify, but the explosion deals so much loving damage it might as well not exist, although I have seen a couple of petrified players in my game world around the parts of bastille that these guys hang out.

tl;dr yeah, alluring skulls are great against the guys with a red glowing chest, since it can cause them to blow themselves up at little risk to yourself. Not quite so much when dealing with the other types.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I was thinking you could get pretty close to free healing in PvP. If you maxed out estus, had high ADP so you would drink pretty quickly, and then used that ring which eliminates backstab critical damage it would be pretty hard to get punished.
Combine with the explosive counter ring, which triggers after you take enough damage, and yeah. You can pretty much tank up pretty safely for PVP.

Hard counter: acid

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The distraction makes them much easier to attack safely. I threw a skull against the wall at the well ambush in Bastille and the zombies just stood there pawing at the wall while I stabbed them.

I had the opposite experience, since it meant they behaved unpredictably, and would sometimes go an take a normal swing at the thing, only to fall on their face and explode when I got close. If you wait until they have exhausted their gas cloud explosion (pretty sure they can only do it once), it can help, but you'll probably need more than 1 alluring skull. I just pick them off with throwing daggers at a distance. They die in two throws, and it rarely triggers more than 1.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Emong posted:

Bandit knives don't scale with Dex, so they'd probably work out poorly for you.

People keep saying this, but they keep forgetting that bandit knife is a bleed weapon, and bleed scales with DEX. It's a dex weapon as it ever was. It just doesn't deal its damage through DEX up front.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Are there any Pharos locks in Doors of Pharos that are distinctly bad for the rat cov member?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I'm just sitting here in the midst of a gauntlet of NPCs, waiting for upward of 15 minutes for someone to be summoned, only for half of them to die to the first wave of NPCs, with the other 40% dying somewhere in the second room. I don't know why this is fun, but it is. I haven't even needed to reset my NPCs for the last three summons, and now there is a huge cluster gently caress of mastedons, toxic dogs, and fighter gyrm bumbling right on top of the summon spot. I am almost anxious for the NPCs to stop respawning so I can burn an acetic and piss myself with laughter over something that is so irrationally entertaining. Oh boy! Got another bite!

And he's down!

Thank God Chameleon lasts until it is canceled.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's even less interesting because you don't even do anything. You just put on the armour and bam you don't take any damage from anything.

This is from pages back, but you're just stuck in a rut. Throw Acid, either consumables, or since you're a caster, use acid cloud. Beyond that is poison, or bleed. The latter two probably being somewhat lower priority than the acid, since the heavy armor may just as well give them good resists to poison/bleed, but the point is, stop focusing on direct damage. Heavy armor is a hard counter to it, so focus on indirect damage. It may still be a lot of trouble, but you're not considering all of your options. Heavy armor is good, especially with a full suite of element resist rings. It is enormously fragile, however, in that you have nothing to fall back on when things start to break. You're a caster. Use the versatility that build provides. I've pretty much moved to mundane for my caestus build for the instances where I do run into heavy armor and/or old sun ring, so I have range options, or acid/poison clouds to fall back on.

All of you eggs are in the direct damage basket. Naturally, you have weaknesses. Cover them.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I've never seen anyone dumb enough to stand in a cloud.
Then buy some urns. Poison daggers, etc. Even a single tick of acid/poison clouds help, on top of giving you better control of the field, and obscuring vision to make your item usage more effective, since the throws are silent. Having fewer places to dodge, and not being able to time dodges by audio cues is a mean combo.

Point is, use your options, rather than lament there is a hard counter to the hole you have dug. Only reason I would complain about heavy armor, is that it is such a hard counter to so many things, but considering every single build can counter said build with a handful of acid urns, it's not really worth complaining about. If you don't think some 7000 souls is worth it, sure, eat your loss, but the more people throwing acid at heavy armor builds, the less heavy armor builds you will see.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Using a magic mace, but I basically always get one-shotted after his bar's lower than 10%. Lucetiel first, then the other summons, then me. Hopefully next try... right?

I generally have better luck rolling solo. If you're trying to keep Lucatiel alive, I would still probably go solo. Even if he has better odds of focusing on her, just by virtue of the guy having fewer HPs. This is what I had to do with Najka to keep Tark alive... not that I think that actually does anything, but you also have the benefit of being able to "quickly" open the menu and quit game in order to try again when the summon dies.

If you're summoning just to beat the guy, then go solo. Its a single enemies, his attacks are well telegraphed, and has a lot of openings to be punished immediately after. Anyway, roll into him, off to the left (his right) when he starts up a combo. You should only have to dodge once, and he'll finish up his swing facing away from you. Matter of fact, 9 times out of 10, if you dodge almost anyone in exactly the same way, PvE or PvP, you get pretty much the same results.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Noo, Avelyn is in a lockbox and those dont respawn from using a bonfire ascetic. :negative:
Welp. This saved me some time. Thanks.

Also, sorry for your loss.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think losing your memories is part of the hollowing process. Being fully hollow is essentially when your mind has completely gone.

Which in practice is probably fairly difficult to reach, intentionally. The closer you get to hollowing, the more you forget the things that make being immortal awful and the baser impulses begin to take over (more souls). Deliberately trying to hollow probably isn't something anyone can do, since there isn't quite a distinct point when it occurs.

The player hollows when they finally quit the game and stop playing. The case of hollow NPCs in the game world can range from the character that gave up in frustration (weak hollow infantry in Burg/FoFG) to the SL738 character that was set aside out of bordom (Vendrik). In either case their mind (the player) is not around to bring them back at to their last most vivid memory, the bonfires.

So that's the totally meta analysis.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

Oh man silver talismans are so good for messing with invaders. I was in Drangleic Castle and pulled a solid snake by disguising as a box. Then when the invader got close I opened up with enough firestorm to make a Rammstein concert look like a burnt-out match head!

Combine with the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, and they won't even be notified that you have invaded.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, but notice still stands. It should work better for invaders than it does the host.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 25, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can someone remind me where that jerk wheeler-dealer is who will buy all my junk?

Depends on your progress. First he will show up in Wharf, then Valley of Harvest, finally he'll move to Doors of Pharros, where he will remain for the rest of the playthrough.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So crypt blacksword requires 40 strength, 10 dex, but then scales with faith even though there's no stats required in it? The heck.

Bonus I guess is it looks the most like the Dragonslayer.

If the physical scales with faith, that's a neat weapon. Might be neat for some sort of dark paladin build. Else, slap raw on it, and two hand the sucker at 20str, dumping the rest into VIT/END/VIG.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Gotcha. Makes the stat spread pretty wide, but given 2handing effectively doubles STR for requirements, then 20str 10dex, 40in/fth isn't too bad. Then imbue, or enchant dark. Sort of like a Dark damage Grant, but with better options for scaling the damage types.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 26, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I tried Benhart's quest line, finished Congregation,Looking Glass, and Throne of Want with him alive, but he won't give up the goods. In the case of the latter, it was only the defenders. Do I need to try and keep him alive for the other boss there for it to count? I went off to his last area before trying the fourth boss with him, could that have somehow spoiled the quest? I did go and (attempt) to summon him for the fourth encounter, but gently caress keeping him alive there. Returning to him at his final location still gives me the same dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
NPC quest

Vargs posted:

Defenders don't count, as far as I know. Gotta be the one after them. He gave me his stuff as soon as I did that.
Thanks. I'll give the other boss a go. If I can't keep him alive, I'll see about an acetic on the first congregation

• Locked thread