Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It shouldn't be difficult to find this game in stores tomorrow without having it pre-ordered, right? I'm old and video game sales are confusing to me now. I know gamestop is a butt about buying new games that you haven't pre-ordered but they're usually the only ones like that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
What are the new spells and miracles like in this game? It looks like Sorceries get soul arrows as usual, and I'm sure Miracles have healing and lightning bolts, but is there anything new? I started with Knight and I plan on pumping Dexterity but I'm not sure what other type of stat to raise.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

RabidWeasel posted:

According to a Reddit post the guide book says that (self imposed challenge condition spoilers) Completing the game without dying gives you a ring that makes your left hand weapon invisible, and completing the game without using a bonfire gives a ring that makes your right hand weapon invisible. So, uh, good luck with that. :stonklol:

I guess they really want you to work for that Saber cosplay.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
How long until there are actually more than just a few darkwraiths running around? Being a blue sentinel seems kinda silly when I myself have only been invaded once.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Does this game's plot ever come into play the way it did in Dark Souls 1? The first game's plot, even if it was obscure, felt very realized. Many of the bosses were related to one another as characters, and almost all of the NPC storylines were about their misguided hopes leading to despair, which related back to the theme of kindling the bonfires.

Drangleic seems like it has a lot of factions and characters, but the basic premise of the game seems to be "you're in a land where everyone is cursed to fade away and none of them care or even remember who they are," which makes it a lot harder to get a basic grasp of the plot.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Has anyone ever actually used the Blue Sentinel pvp items successfully? The faction seems cool and the rewards are good for my dex/faith build, but I'm thinking of just joining the blood marauders, because what's the point of being a protector if there's nothing to protect people from?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Does the framerate in this game bother anyone else, too? I've been having this really uncomfortable tetris-effect experience after playing for a while. I've noticed that, for the PS3 version at least, the game will occasionally speed up to a really high framerate. But most of the times it goes at its normal speed. After playing the game for a few hours, my eyes have been bothering me and any motion looks sped-up to me. It was pretty bad when I was driving.

I've never experienced this sort of thing before, nor do I normally get any type of motion sickness, and it's pretty weird.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

King of Solomon posted:

No there are not. The earliest good Dex weapon you can get requires you to go through the Iron Keep, and that's at least half-way through the game. Up until that point, I was stuck using the Falchion, which is a massive piece of poo poo. The warped blade might be better than the Falchion, but that still requires you to beat the Lost Sinner and it seems to use the Scimitar's moveset, which isn't great.

Dex builds are loving shafted in this game.

I think Ricard's Rapier, halberds, and estocs and spears are pretty good...

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
If I'm using a longbow with a dex/faith build, should I infuse the bow with an element, or will that make it do less damage overall because of resistances? Also, lightning or fire?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

onemanlan posted:

Just need to vent to others right now. I hate the point I'm at now. Feel like I'm throwing myself against a few brick walls that are the Executioners Chariot, 3 Death's, and the Rat Vangaurd. Often times when I get stuck on one area I'll go to another in order to progress, but hot drat have I had very little luck with each. I often have absolute terrible luck with summons in that they're either terrible or when I do get good summons something happens to my gameplay that leads me to die. Better just learn to do it myself... but drat the setup on some of them take quite a while.

I'd love any brief advice on the matters

For the Executioner's Chariot, you need to be hiding in the gaps in the walls while the chariot passes by. There are skeletons that will spawn and attack you, and they will respawn because there are two Necromancers reviving them. The first Necromancer will be hiding in one of the safe spots to your left early into the fight. The second one will be near the end of the arena, hiding in the safe spot to the right, which is near the lever. You need to pull the lever to lower a gate, and the chariot will crash into that gate and no longer be able to run laps around the arena. Now you will be fighting demon horses that can shoot dark mist at you for long-range damage, can buck you if you attack from behind, and can charge at you for a lot of damage. Pyromancies and miracles are safest against this enemy.

Keep in mind that this boss has no timer. You should be safe as long as you are hiding in the wall spot, so if you have a good shield you should be able to take care of the necromancers and kill the skeletons for good before moving forward.

For the Skeleton Lords, there are three of them, and when any one of them dies, they break up into a swarm of smaller skeletons that also count towards the boss's health meter. The middle skeleton lord turns into bonewheel skeletons, so kill him last because those are the most dangerous. The skeletons are not terrible intelligent in the way they attack you, so if you keep moving to prevent them from surrounding you, you should be able to kill this boss. This is a boss that gets weaker the more you damage it!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Attestant posted:

So far I've been getting the feeling that the :effort: has been caused by some fairly drastic changes during game development about the plot and such.

Like I remember the earliest E3 promotion mentioned stuff like they can't tell where the game is set, because the name would be a spoiler! I was honestly pretty confused when the game starts calling it Drangleic, and it wasn't a spoiler? :raise: Dark Souls 1 was full of plenty rushed stuff as well, but this time around the plot and lore is affected a lot more.

That resolves itself pretty easily. The land's original name would be a spoiler, but everyone calls it Drangleic now. Several characters comment on this: "oh, this land is now called Drangleic? But it wasn't always called that, you know. Countless kingdoms have risen and fallen where we now stand."

I don't know much about the plot yet, but I get the impression they reintroduced a level-up NPC to show that the player character is lacking in agency. You yourself do not have the power to level up, it's something that's being handed to you. In other words, the person who is giving you this power has a vested interest in your success, and you ought to be wondering why that is.

Rei_ posted:

So I have a question, I was in EP and I ran into this dude Gilligan. Builds me a ladder, goes back to Majula, builds me a ladder there. I'm talking to him about the statues and he mentions Pagan rituals... Have IRL religions been mentioned before? Like is the game implying our world was once one of the kingdoms in the DS universe?

I think "pagan" was just a word choice used to show that he viewed the statues as belonging to a folk religion as opposed to a more magisterial one.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Thumbtacks posted:

If you use the ring that makes you look like a white phantom, you can put down a red soapstone and it will look white to other people. So they summon you and then you kill them.

how do you get the ring? that sounds terrific.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
How is the dragon covenant? In Dark Souls I had a SL1 dragon because the claws were really good, even if the firebreathing wasn't incredible. Did they change it up this time around?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Has anyone tried the drakewing ultra greatsword or the thorned greatsword? I want a good sword to give to my dex/faith character and these weapons seem pretty cool, but I don't want to waste petrified dragon bones on a bad weapon.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Half of Dracula posted:

Let's talk about the (covenent) Dragon Remnant. I'm at max rank and the rewards are, as they were last game, mostly useless but really cool. What exactly does the Torso Stone do besides give me a yellow glow? Why does the Black Dragon Sword have no scaling?

Does it still increase your unarmed damage?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I want to like this game as much as I liked Dark Souls 1, but I don't know if it's going to happen. Dark Souls 1 felt like it had a central idea of kindling a fire that is slowly dying. The tension came from the ambivalence of that idea. There's a lot of talk of "lore," but I feel like the story of Dark Souls 1 was never wrapped up in its own world so much as it was interested in the idea of trying to keep alive a hope that is naturally burning out.

Dark Souls 2 seems to be about failing to break out of cycles, but so much of the game seems to be about "why is this kingdom so similar to Lordran?" that it feels as though the game just wants to connect everything back to the first game, ending things with a one-to-one correspondence. The seed of giants item description mentions "what about those who are outside of the cycle?" and it makes me wonder if there's something more to the game than there seems to be, because the women in Things Betwixt, the Emerald Herald, and the Throne of Want seem to be interesting elements that don't seem to be confined to simple correspondence. It's just that, with a story that obscures itself so much, it's difficult to tell if these are keys or if they are just outliers.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
If you try to cast Magic Weapon with a Blue Flame sword, will it enchant itself or will it enchant the weapon in your other hand? Can you dual-wield them and have two enchanted weapons at once? I guess this relies on whether Blue Flames can be enchanted at all.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
That's begging for a Royal Sorcerer Navlaan build. So relentless that he'll try to kill you as a white phantom.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I started a Joan of Arc gimmick (FTH only with a sword, currently using Heide since it gives me lightning before I can infuse) and want to pick up some tasty miracles. Recommendations?

Joan of Arc pretty much demands that you get the Channeler's Trident and Sacred Oath to strengthen your allies.

Oh, and don't forget Immolation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Upgrade your staff to Magic and your chime to Lightning! This actually makes a difference in DkS2.

• Locked thread