Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm playing through this game for real finally, and I'm surprised at how active the PS3 version still is. Two questions:

1) Is there ever a point in the game where I can easily farm Human Effigies?

2) Does weapon durability increase with upgrades? Even with a +6 weapon, it feels like my sword is still breaking fairly quickly, though maybe I'm just hitting walls too much or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm making more progress now.

This is an odd game. In some ways it feels more like a Demon's Souls sequel that takes some influence from Dark Souls rather than the other way around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can someone explain these fake Sunbros to me? Several times now in the past few days I'll summon a dude, we'll fight through the level, and then they'll just go home upon getting to the boss fog.

That is not some jolly cooperation. I wanted a Sunlight Medal from you dammit!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

No it's the big Summon Signs they're putting down, and yeah they're using the Black Crystal.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Cave of the Dead might be my least favorite area in any Souls game I've played.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Is that the extra area in Sunken King? I did Iron Passage and Frigid Outskirts but I actually enjoyed those areas/bosses.

Yeah. The poison statues are a questionable game mechanic to begin with, but on top of getting the AI to actually survive the claustrophobic journey to the fog door they end up being a bit worthless against Fake Havel and his two buddies. I haven't even beaten them yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I picked this game back up and beat the Cave of the Dead trio.

However I'm now sure Ancient Dragon is the worst boss ever put into a video game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally took down the Ancient Dragon! Saw a tip online about using a Gyrm Greatshield. I happened to have one laying around, I upgraded it to +10, had a Black Knight Ultra Greatsword that I upgraded to +5 as well, and then was finally able to figure out to fight the boss now that I could actually survive his fire breath attacks. Did the strategy of hitting the front feet 2-3 times, trying to bait a grounded fire breath and if he flew up instead I put my shield up- luckily I had enough stamina to survive two hits from the fire now, though if the dude had landed on me I would have been done. Ended up only having to heal once the whole fight.

I sort of see what people mean now when they say the run up to the boss might be harder, once you learn how to survive his OHKO's. It certainly helped that I had run through that part so many times with other players that the enemies stopped spawning on the path to him. Ended up killing the Ancient Dragon as a solo though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

...! posted:

That whole area is a lot easier in SotFS. The only enemies you actually have to fight are four drakeblood knights, and they don't respawn. Just don't run past them if you don't want to get ganked by the dragon knights watching you fight. There may be one dragon knight you do have to fight but he won't respawn either.

That's it; kill five guys one time and after that you can just run straight from the bonfire to Ancient Dragon with no enemies to fight. It's a lot less of a pain in the rear end than vanilla Dragon Shrine. And you can completely skip Dragon Aerie if you want. I really like those changes.

...! posted:

That whole area is a lot easier in SotFS. The only enemies you actually have to fight are four drakeblood knights, and they don't respawn. Just don't run past them if you don't want to get ganked by the dragon knights watching you fight. There may be one dragon knight you do have to fight but he won't respawn either.

That's it; kill five guys one time and after that you can just run straight from the bonfire to Ancient Dragon with no enemies to fight. It's a lot less of a pain in the rear end than vanilla Dragon Shrine. And you can completely skip Dragon Aerie if you want. I really like those changes.
That's interesting. I'm still stuck on last gen so I haven't been able to try the real SotFS (Or Bloodborne or DSIII), but I had heard a lot of the game is rebalanced like that. I think I saw some people say Ancient Dragon's AOE attack does less damage too?

Eventually I plan on getting a PS4. I might check out SotFS later on down the line.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I like the Frigid Outskirts area.

Rest of this DLC is pretty good but the run to the boss rivals the Ancient Dragon run in terribleness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

It's probably the worst soulsborne area of all time
It's certainly up there. Like the idea of the blizzard affecting visibility is fine, but in practice it just slows you down while Santa's Reindeer Army From Hell attack.

The two giant versions of the cat from Watchmen are starting to annoy the piss out of me too.

• Locked thread