Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm about to lose my mind here. I absolutely cannot beat this boss which everyone else seems to think is easy: The Last Giant. I simply cannot avoid his attacks. I've looked at videos of how to beat him but those tactics never work for me. I've spent an hour trying to kill this rear end in a top hat and I'm nearly out of a lot of supplies. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

After having so much trouble with the Last Giant, I worried that my gaming skills were deteriorating. Well, after wandering around for awhile, I found a second boss and killed him easily. Hopefully I just have some kind of brain fart with the Last Giant or something.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I hate to say this, given that I spent $60 on this game, but I think I'm going to be done soon. The other Souls games are hard but fair but it seems like in this game I'm constantly dying from utter bullshit. Between that and there being no bonfire anywhere the next boss I'm supposed to fight means a 30 minute redo of the level is required. I'm just not having fun here.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And of course, like with every game I play, every time I complain about a part kicking my rear end, I beat it on the next try. Don't know why but at least I'm past that loving wharf.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

OK, this is complete bullshit. I was walking through Shaded Woods and all of a sudden, with no warning, all my equipment broke. What the gently caress just happened? Now I have to spend time grinding souls to repair all my poo poo.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Blind Sally posted:

Use Soul Vessel and respec into Sunlight/Lightning Spear hurling Golden God of Miracles.

This is what I'm trying tonight. It'd better work! :argh:

Like a lot of people here, I had a lot of trouble with Ancient Dragon. None of the strategies on the internet worked; I just could never seem to get him to behave for me the way he behaves for others. I ended up coming up with my own strategy to beat him, which takes bits and pieces from a few other strategies. I've only killed him once so I'm not going to claim that this strategy is perfect, but it seemed to get him into a pattern that he never once deviated from:

Run under him like normal at the start of the fight and wedge yourself between the two innermost toes on one of his rear feet. Attack his foot a few times (the number of attacks you can get in before he attacks again obviously varies depending on your weapon. With my katana I was easily able to get in four R1 strikes) and then watch his foot for his next attack. As far as I can tell, he will only do one of two attacks.

If he lifts the foot, he's going to try to stomp you. Just roll over to the other rear foot and repeat the pattern. If he doesn't lift the foot but seems to slightly flex up and down on the foot, he's about to crane his neck and breath fire under himself. This attack has a much smaller AoE than the dreaded flying breath attack and is much more easily avoided. Just roll/run sideways out from under him. As long as you're not directly under him, you won't get hit. When he's done, run back under him and repeat the pattern.

When I tried this strategy, he never flew. Not once.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I discovered something kinda cool last night. I just started NG+ and I noticed that if you look directly at the Dragonrider/Licia tower from the side, you can actually see Dragonrider standing there. Just out of curiosity I decided to see if I could hit him with an arrow from that far away and if it would do anything. Turns out, with the Hawk Ring it's pretty easy to hit him. It doesn't pop up a lifebar or any damage number or anything, but he does flinch.

I kept plinking him until he stopped flinching. Then when I entered the fog gate, it immediately knocked off 90% of his health. Now I wonder if it stops counting damage when he stops flinching or if you can kill him completely before ever entering his boss area.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Jester Thomas does not gently caress around.

:stare:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

He solos that boss on NG+ too.

Yeah, NG+ is the first time I used him. I was all "time to blast the poo poo out of this boss" but barely got any hits in before Jester Thomas annihilated it. I kind of want to summon him again and work my way backward through the level with him as my bodyguard. I also hear that he can be an unpleasant surprise for invading players.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

All right, I think I see what everyone means about hexes. I just killed the Guardian Dragon with about 4 shots of Great Resonant Soul. :raise:

Guardian Dragon is by far the easiest boss in the game, though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I figured out a solution to the whole Rosabeth getting attacked after freeing her problem. It was completely on accident. I freed Rosabeth, gave her some clothes, and then quit the game because I was done for the night. When I continued the next day, Rosabeth wasn't there and so I never had to worry about that.

After some experimentation, it seems that if you free her, talk to her, do NOT give her any clothes, and then quit the game, she will be standing next to Benhart when you continue, which should be far enough away from the ambush. If you DO give clothes to her and then quit the game, she'll be all the way back in Majula when you continue.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Also, I got what I thought was going to be my first hate mail for this game last night... but the message was actually from a white phantom who apologized for not playing better. :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I got invaded by some guy wearing the full butterfly outfit last night. I taught him how poisoning is really done by blasting him with Dark Fog. Through a wall.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

null posted:

Is it just me, or do the various katana style swords seem to have way more reach than their weapon model indicates?

Washing Pole definitely does but I don't think the others do.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Bitch died to The Sinner about half a second before I killed it. She was my favourite character up to that point. :sigh:

NPC summons can't die; they respawn in their original location if defeated. However, no npc summons spawn in any area in which the boss has been defeated. You won't see her summon sign in Sinner's Rise anymore because you beat the boss. She'll still be alive and in her normal locations in the other areas she spawns in.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Flytrap posted:

Yes to the first, no to the second.

Uh, the second one is also yes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ramsus posted:

It runs netflix/amazon/youtube for hours every day, but other than that the only games it sees is when my daughter plays Rachet and Clank...which maybe isn't as intense on the hardware?

I've never taken it a part and cleaned it out. It's probably full of dog hair and dust.

Yeah, I can tell you without a doubt that what you described is a sign that your PS3's GPU is about to melt. How do I know this? It happened to my fat PS3s three times until I wised up and just bought a super slim. If I had to guess, I'd say you've got a couple of months until it completely dies.

The damage is already done so there's not really a way to fix it. The problem was that Sony cheaped out on the thermal paste for the fats' heat sinks; the paste eventually turns to powder (and thus becomes ineffectual) over time, usually a few years.

The only complaint I've seen about the PS3 version of Dark Souls 2 is the menu load times. I don't know if they've fixed it, but at launch, it often took several seconds for a menu to open if you had the disc version of the game. On the download version, the menu load times have always been instant.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Zebrasectomy posted:

I think my game glitched me out of ever joining the pilgrims of the dark; The last two doors in the sentinel room before it won't open, and the two Golem statues have both activated and are holding torches now. Is there anything I can do now to open those doors?

It should be impossible to get locked out since the statues in that room are some of the few enemies in the game that infinitely respawn. Just kite one of them toward the door, then kill the statue near the door. It should open.

Edit: The torches don't actually do anything. Don't worry about them being lit.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

HairyManling posted:

What the gently caress just happened? I download a 599 meg patch and now I have 1/3 the amount of spell uses I did before the patch?

Pre-patch:
Sunlight Spear 3
Great Lightning Spear 18
Lightning Spear 24

Post Patch:
Sunlight Spear 2
Great Lightning Spear 6
Lightning Spear 8

Yeah, they said awhile back that they would make these balance changes in the next patch. I think they also said that they do more damage now, though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

DLC is up on the US PSN store. No season pass, though. :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

After butting my head against the wall for a couple of hours, I've decided that I'm going to have to start a new character for the DLC. My SL 249, NG++ dude doesn't stand a chance. I can barely damage anything in this DLC with weapons or magic, even after respeccing. :sigh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Holy poo poo, the optional boss in the DLC is bullshit. Even with phantoms, we all always get pounded into the ground in just a few seconds. Did they playtest this?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shnag posted:

They see me rolling , they hatin... :smuggo:

In all seriousness I originally thought that area just required a comical amount of rolling.

Protip: smash them with your torch if you're using it; the torch has infinite durability. This is great for smashing the ones in the Gutter.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Pyrok posted:

Might want to be careful with that. Apparently FROM has made a specific server for people who use "mega mules" (max level characters that you can import to your ps3 via a flash drive, with max number of consumables and all weapons and poo poo), and people from one of the wikis have reported being moved to that server because they accepted items dropped by those guys in co-op matches.

Actually, it's pretty easy to get an assload of Souls of a Hero/Great Hero legitimately, late in the game. A lot of people repeatedly ascetic the bonfire in order to farm the Giant Lord. This also resets all the other memories, all of which have a ton of Hero souls that are easy to reach. You can get a decent amount of Twinkling Titanite by doing that as well. The guy giving away those souls probably had the max number or close to it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Against Elana, Dark Quartz Ring+3 + Dispelling Ring + Dark Rebel's Greatshield+10 = :getin:

I'm thinking about testing it out on Darklurker.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I platted the original version of this game on the PS3 waaaay back when it came out. Just started SotFS on PS4 last night. I knew they added extra enemies, but... a loving ogre at the beginning of Forest of Fallen Giants? Welcome to Dark Souls, I guess. :stare:

I'd like to be a caster this time but I don't know what's good. I know they nerfed the poo poo out of lightning spear. Do sorceries still do decent damage? What about hexes?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wow, these Heide knights sure are pissed that I killed Dragonrider. I never knew they were bros.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

For all the new enemy placements, I'm shocked that they've actually made certain areas considerably less assholish. The new shortcut in No-Man's Wharf is especially welcome.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Finally took down the Ancient Dragon! Saw a tip online about using a Gyrm Greatshield. I happened to have one laying around, I upgraded it to +10, had a Black Knight Ultra Greatsword that I upgraded to +5 as well, and then was finally able to figure out to fight the boss now that I could actually survive his fire breath attacks. Did the strategy of hitting the front feet 2-3 times, trying to bait a grounded fire breath and if he flew up instead I put my shield up- luckily I had enough stamina to survive two hits from the fire now, though if the dude had landed on me I would have been done. Ended up only having to heal once the whole fight.

I sort of see what people mean now when they say the run up to the boss might be harder, once you learn how to survive his OHKO's. It certainly helped that I had run through that part so many times with other players that the enemies stopped spawning on the path to him. Ended up killing the Ancient Dragon as a solo though.

Raxivace posted:

Finally took down the Ancient Dragon! Saw a tip online about using a Gyrm Greatshield. I happened to have one laying around, I upgraded it to +10, had a Black Knight Ultra Greatsword that I upgraded to +5 as well, and then was finally able to figure out to fight the boss now that I could actually survive his fire breath attacks. Did the strategy of hitting the front feet 2-3 times, trying to bait a grounded fire breath and if he flew up instead I put my shield up- luckily I had enough stamina to survive two hits from the fire now, though if the dude had landed on me I would have been done. Ended up only having to heal once the whole fight.

I sort of see what people mean now when they say the run up to the boss might be harder, once you learn how to survive his OHKO's. It certainly helped that I had run through that part so many times with other players that the enemies stopped spawning on the path to him. Ended up killing the Ancient Dragon as a solo though.

That whole area is a lot easier in SotFS. The only enemies you actually have to fight are four drakeblood knights, and they don't respawn. Just don't run past them if you don't want to get ganked by the dragon knights watching you fight. There may be one dragon knight you do have to fight but he won't respawn either.

That's it; kill five guys one time and after that you can just run straight from the bonfire to Ancient Dragon with no enemies to fight. It's a lot less of a pain in the rear end than vanilla Dragon Shrine. And you can completely skip Dragon Aerie if you want. I really like those changes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Raxivace posted:

That's interesting. I'm still stuck on last gen so I haven't been able to try the real SotFS (Or Bloodborne or DSIII), but I had heard a lot of the game is rebalanced like that. I think I saw some people say Ancient Dragon's AOE attack does less damage too?

Eventually I plan on getting a PS4. I might check out SotFS later on down the line.

Yeah, the AOE's not quite as powerful. I think the point of the new Dragon Shrine is that it's the dragon covenant's arena, essentially, and they're all about honorable one-on-one fights. So the dragon knights are content to just watch you fight the drakeblood knights unless you try to run past the drakeblood knights or you attack the dragon knights. The dragon knights (and there are a LOT of them here in SotFS) can't even be locked onto unless one of those things happens, so they're technically friendlies. Beating the drakeblood knights earns the dragon knights' respect and on subsequent trips through the area, they'll just bow/kneel before you when you go by. And that annoying caster in the tower at the beginning of the area doesn't exist in SotFS. It's pretty great.

Edit: Also, don't summon in the Dragon Shrine. There's an NPC summon but it's a trap. Running through with summons goes against the whole one-on-one thing, which DOES aggro the dragon knights. That's suicide as eight or nine will attack at once when you get to the huge staircase.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 3, 2016

...!
Oct 5, 2003

StrangeAeon posted:

Okay, so I was a fool and I lit the torch scone in the front foyer of Aldia's Keep.

Any advice for dealing with the consequences?

MURDER EVERYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, the Dragon Aerie is where From decided to have mercy on the player in SotFS. When I saw that the ladder was down I said, "thank you, Jesus," and skipped the whole drat area. I always hated the Aerie.

And they turned the Dragon Shrine from one of my most hated areas into my favorite area in the game. The difference is mind-blowing. Hint: Don't attack the dragon knights and don't run past the drakekeepers without killing them. And whatever you do, DON'T SUMMON ANYONE, not even the NPC. If you already have summoned someone before you get to the shrine, send them home before you proceed.

• Locked thread