Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Some voice actors, such as the illustrious Norio Wakamoto or the magnificent Jun Fukuyama have extremely noticeable voices, which you could pretty much recognize anywhere. Sometimes they end up being typecast into a certain role, just because of their extremely distinctive, one-note voices.

Other voice actors are quite a shock! So flexible are they, it's a real surprise and an unexpected joy to discover that they've played such diametrically different roles in different shows.

This is a thread about surprises in Voice Acting!

First up, we have...

Romi Park

Who could have suspected that the wide-eyed boy protagonist of one of the most lighthearted and quirky Gundam series, Turn-A Gundam, could be played by the same voice actress as the sinfully decadent megalomaniacal fashionista supervillain of Kill la Kill? Not I, I'll tell you that!

Ami Koshimizu

In the same vein, what a surprise it is to see the elegant, aristocratic, imperious and charmingly witty Holo the Wise Wolf of Spice & Wolf do a 180 and tussle in the dirt with the bad guys as rowdy delinquent Ryuuko Matoi in Kill la Kill!

Steven Jay Blum

What a shock to find that the eminently cool, cigarette-smoking badass Spike Spiegel of Cowboy Bebop could be played by the same guy who voiced the completely faaaa~~~bulous and campy Gurren-Team member Leeron, in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

Anime News Network compiles a filmography of most of the voice talent in anime, both dubs and in Japan, and it's a good source to find these welcome surprises.

What are some of your finds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Yes, both are voiced by the amazing Megumi Hayashibara

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

DrSunshine posted:

Steven Jay Blum

What a shock to find that the eminently cool, cigarette-smoking badass Spike Spiegel of Cowboy Bebop could be played by the same guy who voiced the completely faaaa~~~bulous and campy Gurren-Team member Leeron, in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

He also voiced one Mr. Chemical Castration.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

DrSunshine posted:

Ami Koshimizu

In the same vein, what a surprise it is to see the elegant, aristocratic, imperious and charmingly witty Holo the Wise Wolf of Spice & Wolf do a 180 and tussle in the dirt with the bad guys as rowdy delinquent Ryuuko Matoi in Kill la Kill!

I guess for me her surprise role was Holo from Spice and Wolf, which combined clever mischievousness with the use of archaic Japanese, since I had already seen her voice a few characters with brash and/or aggressive personalities, such as the crazy Anemone from Eureka 7 and the hot-headed Kallen from Code Geass for example, which makes picking her to voice Ryuuko in Kill la Kill quite a bit easier to imagine.

I was very amused to retroactively find out that Megumi Ogata, who voiced struggling teenager Shinji Ikari in Evangelion, had previously worked on Magic Knight Rayearth portraying both the initial damsel-in-distress Princess Emeraude as well as Eagle Vision, a rather confident commander/pilot who later becomes a potential love interest for the female lead.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 12, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Steven Jay Blum shouldn't count as a surprise because he's everywhere.

For content, it turns out that Yoko Hikasa voiced both Emi Yusa in The Devil is a Part-Timer, and Izumi Takanashi in Working!, which kind of surprised me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Steven Jay Blum shouldn't count as a surprise because he's everywhere.

In the video game industry, he ends up getting type cast as gruff soldier man the majority of the time, so that list isn't very interesting. But he did do the voice of young Drake in Uncharted 3, which is as different from gruff soldier man as Spiegel is from Leeron. It makes me feel bad for him that he gets type cast so much because he is really talented.

VV Huh, that's what I remember Chip saying in the lp he's doing. I probably misheard him.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 12, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Steve Blum did not voice Young Drake in Uncharted 3, that doesn't change he's a super good VA thhat can both act and differentiate very well, please look at Guilmon and...

Silentman0 posted:

He also voiced one Mr. Chemical Castration.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 12, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

I wouldn't have guessed that Miku and Ymir from Attack on Titan shared a voice actress (Saki Fujita).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I wouldn't have guessed that Miku and Ymir from Attack on Titan shared a voice actress (Saki Fujita).

Seriously?? Hahahaha! Whoa. That's really about as different as you can get!

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Shiori Mikami voices both of them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ViggyNash posted:

In the video game industry, he ends up getting type cast as gruff soldier man the majority of the time, so that list isn't very interesting. But he did do the voice of young Drake in Uncharted 3, which is as different from gruff soldier man as Spiegel is from Leeron. It makes me feel bad for him that he gets type cast so much because he is really talented.

In the FEAR expansion pack Perseus Mandate, he only voices one character, but it's complicated because every other voice actor must have been told "hey, try to sound like Steve Blum!" He's also credited in Fallout: New Vegas, but the only character I can think of that made me think "yeah, that's him" was Silus and possibly some of the Fiends.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

These are voiced by the same woman, Megumi Toyoguchi.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

And part 3 Joseph Joestar. GOod poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ishida Akira has been type cast a lot since the triple whammy of Xelloss, Nagisa Kaworu, and Shin Kouhyou, but his vocal range is astounding. Among others he's done megagoon Kuchiki Manabu from Genshiken, SUPER COOL serial killer and psychopath Uryuu Ryuunosuke from Fate/Zero, ultrafeminine Sailor Moon villain Fish Eye, and Zura Katsura Kotarou from Gintama. We're talking voice acting, so this audio clip should explain it better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG3EqJizfkQ

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kana Hanazawa does a really good job at sometimes playing against her usual type-casting. After I first heard of her as Anri in Durarara!!, I kept finding her here and there. She seemed like a slightly less sugary-sweet version of Mamiko Noto most of the time. I started remembering her name well when I heard her playing Susukihotaru (left) in Otome Yokai Zakuro and Mayuri Shiina in Steins;Gate. And while she seems to be in everything nowadays and her voice is super easy to identify, I remembered it was through these very forums that I discovered that she played both the really goofy-sounding Tsukimi Kurashita from Jellyfish Princess and the very mean-spirited, hot-blooded and downright vulgar Tittyko Ichiko Sakura (right) in Binbougami. I guess hanging out with the Tomokazus is infectious.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Takehito Koyasu does the voice for the disney prince in japanese of course.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Poniard posted:

Well at least we know what to say when someone asks who voiced Prince Hans in Japanese.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Poniard posted:

(Frozen spoilers)

YOUR FIRST KISS WASN'T FROM KRISTOFF, BUT FROM I, DIO!

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

(Frozen spoilers)

YOUR FIRST KISS WASN'T FROM KRISTOFF, BUT FROM I, DIO!

(Found on tumblr.)

Edit: Content:

Takahiro Sakurai.
EDIT 2: FORGOT THE IMPORTANT ONE

Ketchupface fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 22, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

David Hayter voiced Lupin III in the most recent dub of The Castle of Cagliostro.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

I guess both are racing repressed homosexual pretty boys.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 22, 2014

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Wikipedia is bad for your health

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Both Aya Hirano, I couldn't believe it!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

killstealing posted:

Both Aya Hirano, I couldn't believe it!

B-But that's Sakurai Harumi's character on the left? Hirano wasn't in Angel Beats, afaik.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

darkgray posted:

B-But that's Sakurai Harumi's character on the left? Hirano wasn't in Angel Beats, afaik.

:ssh: The joke is that Yurippe is very similar to Haruhi.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Megumi Ogata played Maya Kitajima in the Glass Mask OVA. She also played Sailor Uranus.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
From the 90's Moomin anime:

Snufkin

Takehito Koyasu

Sniff

Ryusei Nakao (Freiza, Kurotsuchi Mayuri, Caesar Clown...and the dub voices of Buster Bunny and Yakko Warner)

Moominpappa

Akio Otsuka (Whammu, Solid Snake, Blackbeard)

Also:

All voiced by Atsuko Tanaka.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 23, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DrSunshine posted:

Some voice actors, such as the illustrious Norio Wakamoto or the magnificent Jun Fukuyama have extremely noticeable voices, which you could pretty much recognize anywhere. Sometimes they end up being typecast into a certain role, just because of their extremely distinctive, one-note voices.

Jun Fukuyama used to do a really higher pitched voice until he became famous for Code Geass, back when he was mostly doing bit roles and BL games.

He voices the blond haired kid here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOL2ZVvgUI&t=715s

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Let's look at Daisuke Ono

Working

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Tamako Market

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Working

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Tamako Market

Don't forget.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

==

Yamadera Kouichi is pretty cool like that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

darkgray posted:

==

Yamadera Kouichi is pretty cool like that.

Wikipedia posted:

He is known for voicing Jim Carrey and Eddie Murphy in the Japanese language releases of their respective films

Hahah. Fantastic! So he's basically your go-to guy for comedy movie dubs.

Oh crap, wait, does that mean that he voiced the Donkey in Shrek? ... Yep, he totally did!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 23, 2014

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

unpronounceable posted:

Which reminds me:

Daisuke Ono

A tall blond guy who smokes

Hiroshi Kamiya

A well-informed guy who loves loving with people

Jun Fukuyama

A glasses-wearing eccentric obsessed with something weird

They each play a similar trio in both Durarara!! and Working!!.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Relambrien posted:

They each play a similar trio in both Durarara!! and Working!!.

Noragami isn't too far away.

Daisuke Ono

Hiroshi Kamiya

Jun Fukuyama

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Romi Park.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Waffleman_ posted:

Romi Park.

What the gently caress ? Does that mean that Ragyo is Gohan ? I can't believe it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

legendsuper posted:

What the gently caress ? Does that mean that Ragyo is Gohan ? I can't believe it.

Nozawa Masako has never voiced a JoJo's character and Paku Romi has never voiced a Dragonball character so I dunno how you got those confused, but no, she didn't voice Gohan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to Wikipedia, Romi Park also voices Finn in the Japanese dub of Adventure Time.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

Nozawa Masako has never voiced a JoJo's character and Paku Romi has never voiced a Dragonball character so I dunno how you got those confused, but no, she didn't voice Gohan.

He's making a joke about how the character on the left basically goes super saiyan when he does stuff in the JoJo manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DrSunshine posted:

Hahah. Fantastic! So he's basically your go-to guy for comedy movie dubs.

Oh crap, wait, does that mean that he voiced the Donkey in Shrek? ... Yep, he totally did!

And this dude from Samurai Champloo:

Ryusei Nakao as Yakko Warner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGEb0TqAEpU

• Locked thread