Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This game is totally in Japanese, so if you don't enjoy the idea of not being able to immediately read what's on screen, turn back now!
I'll be offering as much help as I can in this thread and providing the best menu/skill guides possible, but I understand that this sort of endeavor isn't something most people want to put the effort in, so my only request is that if you do try the game out and end up getting involved in a referral chain, that you play long enough to reach Rank 20 so that whoever signed up under you doesn't lose out on potential rewards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5T2SMXrTs

Android .APK Download Link
How to create a japanese itunes account and the game download

Mini-Reference

IRC: #dorapo @ synirc.net (Please use the IRC whenever possible, it's so much easier to address questions in a live chat)

For real though just use the IRC. :siren:There's also a wiki though!!:siren:

Dragon Poker is a multiplayer mobile game that has been around for a little over a year2 years, and is absolutely the hypest and most non-bullshit F2P game when it comes to this genre. We've affectionately begun to refer to this group of games as "Dragonesques" (which includes titles such as Puzzle&Dragons, Brave Frontier, Quiz RPG, etc), but unlike every other game in the genre, this game is fully cooperative. You play with up to 4 other people on the internet from anywhere in the world (but mostly japan) over your wireless connection. The presentation of this game is absolutely above everything else (that video is just the title screen theme, this game has a ton of sweet jazz tunes), and while it may seem overwhelming at first, it's really not that hard to grasp most of the mechanics.

This is a gameplay video taken of the PVP from the latest Colosseum event week that we had. It's a fairly... accurate? representation of what playing the game is like, though on the far extreme end of progression. No guarantees about being able to understand any of what is happening on the screen before you play the game yourself though :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWBfRDd0juo

Starting Out

Most games of this genre follow the formula of dropping you into a tutorial and giving you a free roll of the "rare machine", but Dragon Poker thinks that's stupid and gives you one of 6 units to pick from the start. All of these units are things that you can roll out of the rare gachapon normally, so you shouldn't feel bad about any of the choices. Regardless, I'm going to sum up their strengths anyway to make choosing easier for you!

Water element prioritizes HP and Support Skills (Healing, Defense Boost)
Water Starters:
Merou: The girl with the umbrella. Doesn't do much on her own, but fuses with copies of herself and some other cards to execute Healing Rain, which heals everybody in the party for a large amount of HP.
Often a safe pick as she is common among many low-level player teams.
Octopus: Bulky attacker with high HP, his skill gives him an attack boost.

Grass element prioritizes Defense and Defensive Skills (Shields, Status Immunity)
Grass Starters:
Piyon: Ribbon girl. Not very notable, but fuses with a large number of other cards for a decent attack.
Gang Sheep: Sturdy attacker with high DEF. All "Sheep" monsters fuse together to execute Counting Sheep, which disables enemies by putting them to sleep.

Fire element prioritizes Attack and Offensive Skills (Big Hit, AOE Burst)
Fire Starters:
Flamme: The witch. Fuses with a few other cards to execute some kind of big fire AOE thing.
Flame Lizard: Has the highest ATK of the starters, fuses with certain lizards and dragons to execute AOE attacks.
  • If you want things to be easier on you for the first few weeks, pick one of the girls, because they offer greater support early on but will not ever be useful as subcards unless you get some really specific gachapon monsters.
  • If you're fine with the idea of a time investment or think you can get lucky, grab one of the monsters instead, as those will transition into sub cards much more easily/quickly when your deck is better.

:siren: NEW PLAYER PROMOTIONS :siren:

Between now and June 7th, any new accounts made are given the option to select a free SS card to go along with their starter.
  • If you want a strong offensive card, select 5 (Lancelot) or 8 (Ranmaru).
    Lancelot will end up with a high overall amount of average damage, while Ranmaru ends up having an extreme of either very low or very high damage (with a chance of Seal) when using his ability.
  • If you want a strong rescue/healing card, select 9 (Dryad).

There's really no way to put any value on either of these three specifically because it's mostly due to the luck of the draw you get in the future on Gachapon rolls, so just pick whichever suits your personality more, basically. Ignore the other six choices, they're p much worthless.

Two free SS cards for completing this crossover game app (Available until October):

Click to quote go to the full post with info about the crossover game and how to earn your serials. Scroll down for Android mirrors.

Translations and Play Guide (sorry about the quality on .jpgs that imgur has automatically encoded)

The battle screen is relatively simple

Your objective is to cooperate with the other 4 Players/Bots to create a successful hand, where the monsters that are included in the winning hand then proceed to attack. Each person (the order is randomized every turn) takes turns and is given a few seconds to add a card to try and form an attacking hand.

There is an elemental trio, so keep it in mind while attacking.
Fire > Grass > Water [repeat]
If you attack with an element against the element it is weak to (EG grass into fire), it will deal half damage.

After you have your starter and have been hustled through the tutorial, you'll get dumped into the main menu.

(Feel free to go to push notifications and turn everything off, there's also a stamina timer alarm in there if you can figure out how to use it)

First you'll need to do some levels, so click on that big fat "Dungeon" button and proceed to these screens.

If you do not have enough stamina to enter a dungeon, the game will prompt you about using up your one free stamina refill for the day (it looks like this) (this is available every day after 5AM Japanese Time). After that, you'll have to start using stones to recharge your stamina.

Your deck is comprised of Thirteen Monsters; four of each Suit, plus your Ace. The four monsters out of any suit will be randomly pulled and will be generated as any card between 2 and King. No card except your specifically designated Ace will be drawn as an Ace, however. Due to this, it means that your Deck is technically 145 cards large. (The gimmick behind this is that once you enter a dungeon, card values are fixed for that run so your working deck while playing is only one set of 2-K+A, IE a size of 13) This and the fact that there are only three suits means that the value of hands is different from traditional poker. Higher value hands result in stronger attacks, and win attacking priority in PVP:

(Get incredibly familiar with this list, it is the most important thing in the game. There is a tier list of damage modifiers from hands in the mini-reference)

If you're unfamiliar with Poker hands, take a minute to brush up, but keep in mind that the way hands are constructed in this game with the card pool means that the values are balanced differently than in traditional poker.

After doing some levels, make sure to keep up on your objectives list.

Early objectives are usually piles of stones and Skill Cards. Save your stones for the gachapon!

You unlock the difficulty tiers by just completing every non-weekday dungeon in a difficulty tier, but often you will do a first clear and not receive the treasure for it. Every time you complete a difficulty tier, your Maximum Deck Cost will increase by 10, so feel free to skip treasures if you need to slot a beefier monster into your deck. Objectives and Cost Increases will be rewarded to you in the form of Presents that need to be redeemed from the home menu.

At this point, you've likely got the basics down, so let's mess around with some fringe stuff.

Card Management Menus, for Deck Management, Monster Boosting, Card Selling, and Skill Card Management respectively.

When it comes to leveling and boosting your monsters, there are some things to remember:

Most importantly, you can evolve boosting/evolution materials. When it comes to Gem Marrons (the crystal slime things), don't evolve S ranks into SS ranks, as you lose EXP in the conversion.

Gachapon! Whales need not apply.
and then scroll down to find
During Gachapon Events, the button will be yellow and SS rates are usually increased. You will also get a Princess Skill-Up Fairy for every roll made, but that's not really much of an incentive. During most weekdays, cards will come out of the gachapon already max-level, which is a great boon for new players.
This is the effective tier list for most "Should I roll this weekend?" queries

Friend Menu there's a bunch of buttons here but most aren't relevant to us as forum-users

The main thing to remember is if you want to send a friend request, just click on the big red button near their name. This applies to all menus in the interface. The red button is always "accept" when it comes to incoming friend requests (red is positive, blue is negative). You are able to send individual chats w/ people in your friends list as well as invite people to group chats. Again, none of that really matters since we use forums and have an available IRC channel.

This is a picture of what shows up when you click on the "Referral" button from the Menu option. It presents you with your referral ID, a list of incentives, and at the bottom you will either see an entry field for inputting somebody's code and/or the list of people who have used your own code.

(The listed ID is mine, however I urge you to organize it so that you and another new person refer each other so that you both get the level-up benefits)

The rewards are 5 stones to both players for the referral signup right away, and when the person who was referred reaches level 20, both players receive 10 stones. This means that if two new people refer one another, they both receive the 5 stones for having a referee (10 stones) and then both receive the 10 stones from the other ranking up to 20 (another 20 stones for both of you, for a total of 30 stones for each person. This is a mere 10 stones away from getting an 11 monster roll out of the gachapon and this is possible on the first day of play). This means that you use referral codes in pairs, not chains!

Nicospam wwwwwwwww

The developers of this game understand their demographic perfectly, so weeaboos and people familiar with japanese webspace should have an appreciation for these. It's still good manners to know how to use the first and second pages, but everything else is fluff. Link to some translations since the image takes up way too much pagespace for something nobody cares about

I really want to share this game with people because I feel like it's a decidedly rare example of a Free-To-Play phone game that isn't poo poo or particularly manipulative. If you want anything added to the OP/reference, speak up, I'd be more than happy to help make this experience smoother for somebody who isn't especially comfortable playing a japanese game. Feel free to use this thread to pass around referrals and talk about how stupid games from japan are.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Yo this game owns, and any reservations you may about the game being terrible (because the premise honestly is pretty silly) evaporate as soon as you get into a battle and start getting hype over your sidebet paying off into a huge hand, or having the screen erupt with everybody spamming NICE NICE NICE! after clutching out a tough fight by filling in the one card necessary to complete the straight.

The most apt comparison would be the Mahvel of dragonesque games

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

This game is pretty much incredible, the music is absolutely perfect. I just started playing today and my id is tbd3f99 if anyone wants to share referrals.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So the entire game(including all dungeons, even beginner ones) is co-op? Cool
I was confused at first, but that video did clear most of it up, even though those skills were something. And the Nico spam
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww everywhere, at all time

Poker though...Japan and its card games :allears:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, bots fill up empty slots until a human player joins (and after they die and ragequit). They're also kind of infuriating because they don't play SP skills and always manage to gently caress up an amazing hand, leading to cries of (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ COME ONNN!!! from frustrated players (hence the thread subtitle).

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

Maximum Chenergy posted:

This game is pretty much incredible, the music is absolutely perfect. I just started playing today and my id is tbd3f99 if anyone wants to share referrals.

I'll do referrals with you. My id is l86058f.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Just started, my referral id is h8e5181

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

I'll do referrals with you. My id is l86058f.

Yeah! referral buddy. Also a tip for people starting out, once you get to 4* you can start doing chronos runs (the special dungeon) a lot of high level people run it and will pretty much carry you through the whole thing, guaranteeing a few levels. If you can get your 40 stones for 11 rolls then you'll have a team that's more than durable enough to survive 3-5 hits in the dungeon as well.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Maximum Chenergy posted:

Yeah! referral buddy. Also a tip for people starting out, once you get to 4* you can start doing chronos runs (the special dungeon) a lot of high level people run it and will pretty much carry you through the whole thing, guaranteeing a few levels. If you can get your 40 stones for 11 rolls then you'll have a team that's more than durable enough to survive 3-5 hits in the dungeon as well.

Once you have gotten set up in a referral pair and made your first 40-stone roll, this is what you should be focusing much of your time on. The EXP:Stam ratio of Cronos' dungeon is wildly out of sync with the entire rest of the game, you make something like 3-5x as much EXP as what you would in a dungeon with an equivalent cost.

More deck cost means you can fit in all of your cool rare gacha monsters in sooner, and it means more stamina to do chained runs of even more Cronos or something like the Weekday Dungeons for evolution materials (or just doing normals to obtain treasure and complete your objectives list)

RE: Running Cronos, don't spend your black medals in the medal shop right away. Save up to buy Cronos himself, buying the cheap S-ranked units will not do much for you if you don't already have Cronos as they are meant to be used as equip cards for it.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 12, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My referral ID is vfe072e, I am new to games and learning the moonrunes, please be gentle to me. This is a cool game though that I will give a shot to play for more than a few days.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

My referral ID is vfe072e, I am new to games and learning the moonrunes, please be gentle to me. This is a cool game though that I will give a shot to play for more than a few days.

Great, let's be referral buds

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Orgia Carnaval posted:

edit: vvv Ugh, nevermind, thought it was a chain system not a pair system. I'll uninstall and wait 'til later.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 12, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Horking Delight posted:

Behind you. Mine is .

I hope you didn't already use his code, since Oceanbound came half an hour before you and now your referral use would not be available for the next person who would be using your code (which means they are missing out on 15 stones signing up under you) :ohdear:
It is very important that if you want to mess with referrals for realsies, you need to do it in unique pairs!

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 12, 2014

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Saw the thread for this earlier this morning; it seems pretty fun, at least enough to get to level 20-ish, and nico-spam is pretty much hilarious no matter what which makes it better than any other of these I've seen so far. Referral ID is t023708, if anyone else is going to play this.

\/\/\/ Referred back. Username is 金髪のコマツグミ so don't be surprised that it's not an English name :V

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Linking here. ^ Referral code is e639891 (in game name is tiwddol!)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2014

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Looking for a referral buddy. Code is g44f7d9 IGN trombe

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
PS for new players: the monsters start hitting for a lot harder once you finish the 2* dungeons. Around this point is when you amass your first 40 stones; use them to do an 11roll of the REM. Even if there's no fest going on, the bulk that 11 R+ cards adds to your deck compared to whatever lovely N cards you start out with helps your survivability out a ton.

The current event also has all REM mons come out at max level, which is great.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

FFSabin posted:

Looking for a referral buddy. Code is g44f7d9 IGN trombe

I'll refer you. My code is wfeb1d3. IGN is Shamt.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

PS for new players: the monsters start hitting for a lot harder once you finish the 2* dungeons. Around this point is when you amass your first 40 stones; use them to do an 11roll of the REM. Even if there's no fest going on, the bulk that 11 R+ cards adds to your deck compared to whatever lovely N cards you start out with helps your survivability out a ton.

The current event also has all REM mons come out at max level, which is great.

Yeah, the hardest/most unpleasant part was definitely when I hit 3*. Running around trying to get those last few treasure to unlock 40 stones without dying to the bosses in one hit was challenging, but the game balance feels a lot better now that I have mostly a deck of way stronger things.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる

Onion Rings posted:

I'll refer you. My code is wfeb1d3. IGN is Shamt.

Done. If anyone wants to we can actually set up a group chat in game for 20 people.

Did my roll now my power is up to 6k.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Looks like we'll have increased SS rates out of the gachapon this weekend, so save those stones~

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
This game is surprisingly fun and I love setting up open ended straights for people to complete.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
BTW we already have a group chat set up in game for goons (plus some English speaking pubbie that we managed to pick up I don't know how). If you haven't gotten in let one of us know so we can add you.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Just starting playing this game and my referral code is ac89145, IGN Xad. Ready for crazy poker madness.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

After two days of playing it ("playing" meaning mostly leaving it on playing some smoooooooooth jazz on my desk and picking it up on my turn while I translate), the only real disappointment I have is that the base gold currency is nearly worthless because of how much the game practically fires it out of a cannon at you, and that's only because it means I have no real reason to care about the side bet functionality.

It's pretty fun, and while it's not going to change the world, it's the best way I think I've found on my phone to distract myself and/or kill time during public transit. I also don't really feel it's trying to gouge me for money since after one roll (which I got for free with the referral and quests) I'm pretty kitted out short of just spending an atrocious amount of money on the game, since the rings and such can't be bought as far as I can tell and that's what really limits you after almost any time.

It also gets pretty hectic and exciting if you can actually get five people who aren't just going to quietly play whatever is the worst card you can think of as if they're trying to give the bots a run for their money on 'least competent anything ever', and use the shout system. Co-op definitely makes this game way more fun than its competitors look to be.

5/5 would spam NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE again

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Glad you liked it! This seems like a game that is on nobody's particular radar despite being incredibly accommodating and fun to play.

SS-fest is live now, so feel free to dump stones into the Gachapon.

Edit: Looks like PVP is back on the week of the 17th.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 14, 2014

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you are just starting out and don't a deck worth poo poo, the best thing you can do to increase your win chances in Colosseum is to hit up Club Bad Girls over the weekend and pick up either Apsaras or Nymph. They have a card boost skill that grants +AOE to another skill, which when combined with another person's highly leveled skill (which you will come across all the time), can completely wipe the enemy party. Python is another good mon to go for for similar reasons.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I'll give this a try once I get home. Any particular "gotchas!" I should watch out for when starting?

EDIT: Alright I am in as DontMind. I need someone to pair with for referral.

EDIT2: I'm also still at work, and cannot connect to IRC for some reason.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 14, 2014

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

Not convinced you should play Dragon Poker yet? Let me introduce you to STINGRAY X, basically the swaggest motherfucker alive. Just look at him. His attack involves tearing bad guys to pieces with those amazingly sweet claws.

And if you get a referral buddy this weekend it's easy to get 40 stones, which means 11 chances to get STINGRAY X or something similar to but not as impressive as him. It'll take you an hour or two max and most of that time you can be doing something else while other people take their turns.

Seriously. STINGRAY X. This game's won my heart already.

Ludicrous G. Gibs fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 14, 2014

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

DontMindMe posted:

I'll give this a try once I get home. Any particular "gotchas!" I should watch out for when starting?

EDIT: Alright I am in as DontMind. I need someone to pair with for referral.

EDIT2: I'm also still at work, and cannot connect to IRC for some reason.

I also need a referral buddy! My code's a few posts above yours, post yours here?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

Not convinced you should play Dragon Poker yet? Let me introduce you to STINGRAY X, basically the swaggest motherfucker alive. Just look at him. His attack involves tearing bad guys to pieces with those amazingly sweet claws.

And if you get a referral buddy this weekend it's easy to get 40 stones, which means 11 chances to get STINGRAY X or something similar to but not as impressive as him. It'll take you an hour or two max and most of that time you can be doing something else while other people take their turns.

Seriously. STINGRAY X. This game's won my heart already.

I require STINGRAY X in my life, but I need a referral buddy first!

How much time do I have until this event ends?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Xad posted:

I also need a referral buddy! My code's a few posts above yours, post yours here?

v1a48a0

EDIT: Oh crap I double posted.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

DontMindMe posted:

v1a48a0

EDIT: Oh crap I double posted.

Hooray! Enjoy the free stones!

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Xad posted:

Hooray! Enjoy the free stones!

And enjoy yours as well!

Considering I got two 5 stones in the mail, I have to assume the referral worked. Now I am only 10 stones away!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cigarettes is the best cardmon. 4 hit combos multiplied by up to 4 :unsmigghh:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Cigarettes is the best cardmon. 4 hit combos multiplied by up to 4 :unsmigghh:

Oh hey, a friend is doing a dungeon (Minotaur), let's join in the middle!-> watch you nearly get wrecked by eating his multi-hit to the face-> two card pair aces high of blinguin and cigarettes at the last moment barely one-shots boss from almost full-> spam キターーーーーー!

This game is great, everyone should play it and spam shouts forever.

edit: pimp-rear end blinguin in question:

wreck everyone with Noveau Rich Attack and that is literally its name, I am not even kidding

yes he has gold teeth, no penguins don't have teeth, that's why they're ALL GOLD

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 15, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

:black101: Finally broke 700 points. Now I just have to hope that somehow nobody beats my score in the next week and I'll be able to secure an evolution ring for Cronos.

Duetic
Jan 16, 2009
I downloaded this yesterday, but still need a referral partner. My referral code is kb8c9ac.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Duetic posted:

I downloaded this yesterday, but still need a referral partner. My referral code is kb8c9ac.

I'll be your referral buddy, my ID: x3b939a

Love the sweet jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duetic
Jan 16, 2009

EzEight posted:

I'll be your referral buddy, my ID: x3b939a

Love the sweet jazz.

Added you back, thanks!

• Locked thread