Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FredMSloniker posted:

Or as the Storm Tribe would put it, 'This way! There is chaos to fight!'

Goddamn. Imagine Orlanthi Profile. That would be cool as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Pimpin' moustache aside, I'd send Belenus. Jun earned at least a temporary place in the roster with the Dragon beatdown, and Lawfer is a no-brainer.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Could be the "cool headed" thing is just a mistranslation.

This is a JRPG from the 90s afterall, and VP is full of weird, dumb or awkward text and dialog already.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Seems it's time we gave Belenus his due. Jun and Lawfer look to have some entertaining tactics in fights. Also, we oughtta do at least a dungeon or two with Arngrim and Lawfer together, since they seem kinda like good buddies.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Penakoto posted:

Could be the "cool headed" thing is just a mistranslation.

This is a JRPG from the 90s afterall, and VP is full of weird, dumb or awkward text and dialog already.

Huh? What?

This game is full of perfectly cromulent phrasology.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
'Weird' as in 'unearthly'. Consider 'Weird Slayer'.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

No, we get that, but 'Purify Weird Soul' is still an awkward as hell phrase in any circumstance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alacron posted:

No, we get that, but 'Purify Weird Soul' is still an awkward as hell phrase in any circumstance.

Yeah, I'm glad they changed it to soul crush. Much better.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I... always just called it Finishing Strike like they did, to be honest.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bloodly posted:

Dude, "weird" being used in a slightly atypical way is the least of that screen's problems.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Somehow, my eyes have always glazed over the line "Step on it Press Button" until this very moment.

This game :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, the name Frigid Damsel makes a lot more sense in this game than in Covenant of the Plume where you just drop a block of Ice on them. The animation is awesome. This whole update can be summarised as: :iia:

Also, poor dragon. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dragons better get used to it. Even if he wasn't weak to lightning we have the Dragonslayer and it's just as ridiculous.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I'm glad they changed it to soul crush. Much better.

That entire screen is pure magic and you hate fun. :colbert: You're probably also glad that Over Attack became Overkill in Covenant of the Plume.

I'm also not quite sure if apples has shown a screenshot with PURIFY COMPLETION.

On an unrelated note, mind if I showcase some of the official arrangements of the game's music? I'll put them on polsy to avoid spoilers in the related videos.

The main battle theme is called Fighting the Shadowy Gods in the sound test, but is generally called "Unfinished Battle with God Syndrome", which is probably a wonky translation but definitely pretty great. Sadly, I believe there are only two official arrangements of it. Here's the version from the Arranged Album, which is nice, even though I don't like the instruments he chose much:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyJRmZqep6TI

And here's the version from a Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile live concert Sakuraba gave. Note that this is an actual video of the performance. Whatever you say about the man's music, it's hard to deny that he's a drat good keyboardist.

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUiGv-h29Mbs

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speaking of liberal translations, I've heard that what Lenneth shouts at the start of Nibelung Valesti ("It shall be engraved upon your soul") is a bit of a mistranslation and in the original Japanese it was far less :black101:. Any truth to it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Japanese line is something to the effect of 'I shall annihilate thee!!'

It's not really a 'mistranslation' though it does seem like they mixed up two similar sounding words (kizame/kizare), since the line still basically amounts to a fancy way of saying 'I'm gonna gently caress you up,' but I feel the English version is far more memorable.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
For some reason I always remember it as "Your sins shall be engraved upon your soul". Which feels pretty Metal and pretty Valkyrie to me. Once you accept that the Valkyrie is also taking time to cleanse those disrupting the spiritual flow of the world.

And just the idea of being able to put a mark on a being's soul so when they hit the afterlife, they've effectively got "Lenneth handed me my rear end." tattoo'd on their forehead amuses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rushputin posted:

On an unrelated note, mind if I showcase some of the official arrangements of the game's music? I'll put them on polsy to avoid spoilers in the related videos.

Go for it! That first arrangement is pretty awesome.

CotP was my first foray into the franchise (I tend to enter franchises late, apparently), so its arrangement of the tracks is what I'm used to, though VP has its own charm.

Derek Barona posted:

I... always just called it Finishing Strike like they did, to be honest.

For some reason I liked that they went with 'ougi' in the Japanese version.

Overrated Sage posted:

Jelanda's familiar is a parrot? Can we teach it how to talk? I'd love to see a parrot divebomb our enemies while it tells them about how they need to die ten thousand deaths. It'd even be reasonably accurate considering how much overkill happened in this update.

I was wondering why that sounded familiar... then I realized 'dying ten thousand deaths' reminded me of Akuma from Street Fighter.

vilkacis posted:

I'm like 99% certain Grimrist has a line in its description about this, but I'm not 99% certain it's entirely obvious from the description what it actually does.

Edit: Also :allears: those hero values. Being beautiful is worth more than being empathetic or precise? All right then!

Odin wants beautiful, cute warriors. Hey if you're gonna be stuck in Asgard all day, might as well have some eye candy. :colbert:

In any case, we're sending up Belenus. I have the rest of the chapter recorded, so update tomorrow, or possibly late today if I can get myself around to it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Night10194 posted:

Goddamn. Imagine Orlanthi Profile. That would be cool as all hell.
The duck never leaves the party. Ever.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Omobono posted:

Speaking of liberal translations, I've heard that what Lenneth shouts at the start of Nibelung Valesti ("It shall be engraved upon your soul") is a bit of a mistranslation and in the original Japanese it was far less :black101:. Any truth to it?

Apparently it was also meant to be called Nibelung Velocity, but the translators couldn't figure out the second word wasn't a nonsense-word and just went with Valesti.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Go for it! That first arrangement is pretty awesome.

CotP was my first foray into the franchise (I tend to enter franchises late, apparently), so its arrangement of the tracks is what I'm used to, though VP has its own charm.

It's the other way around for me as a day one fan, of course (well, day one plus however long whatever overprized import method I used back then took). Incidently, I really like the arrangement of CotP's main battle theme, the awesomely titled Emergency Line Slash Stream:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAHgz_S7z5Ao

There are a couple songs from the opening parts of the game that I'll spread out over the LP, but I'll finish up for now with this pretty great, very extended version of Valhalla, which only plays during the scene with Odin and Freya in the beginning:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJpYkCBc3Iok

I certainly won't run out of music for future dungeon updates anytime soon - there are enough versions of the boss theme, Confidence in the Domination, to last me through most of the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Our other new dungeon this time is the Nethov Swamp.

I'm not incredibly fond of the swamp, it's alright for a dungeon, but it's fairly unexciting. Also, the rain ramps up the size if you're trying to make gifs.

Our enemy list today includes Vermin, which we encountered in the Cave of Oblivion in the first chapter. They're weak and disposed off easily with a Fire Storm.

Mantrap Plants are weak to Fire and Dark. Their main attack is the Rhizome Spear, which hits the entire party like the Banshee's Angry Scream. However, it is about half as strong and much easier to dodge.

Pongo Robustus are weak to Dark. They have the most health that we've seen so far but are otherwise just big punching bags.

Finally, Figments. Aside from casting Fire Lance, they're just slightly more durable than Vermin.

The first couple of treasures are two copies of the Dark-elemental Shadow Servant Spell. I can also transmute one into the Dark Savior spell, but I won't use either just yet.

The other annoying aspect of the swamp is mud, which you'll have to wade through from time to time. As one might expect, it greatly slows down movement and restricts your jumps to short hops. It also slows down the music when I'm playing. :v:

There are two Holy Crystals to be found in the swamp. They cast Mystic Cross when used, which is one of the best attack spells.

None of the enemies drop anything incredibly exciting. Mantrap Plants can drop Vegetable Seeds, which can be transmuted into Elixirs, and Pongos Robustus (or Robusti?) drop both Short Spears and Long Bows, which are decent, if temporary upgrades.

Some enemies hover just above mud, which makes hitting them a bit of a pain.

Urgh, this part. There are four treasure chests in the mud. You have to wade in, pick up the chests using X, then waddle over to dry land, set them down, then open them. Meanwhile you're moving at the speed of bad. Thankfully there are no enemies, so this part is just tedious.

There's some decent bounty at least. Cure Condition is a passive skill anyone can learn that can cure other party members of status conditions. The higher the level, the more conditions it can cure (so level 1 can only cure poison, for instance). We won't need it just yet, but maybe in the future.

The Flare Baselard and Daemon Slayer are powerful swords. The Daemon Slayer is like the Dragon Slayer, but for demons, while the Baselard is just a powerful fire-elemental sword.

A really powerful one. Both have 5% chance of breaking, so we'll save them.

There's also a rotten tree that screams, 'hit me and I'll become a bridge!' We do so, and get 5,000 event exp for our troubles.

Charge is an attack skill for warriors that's not as exciting as it sounds - when they're attacking, you can press their attack button rapidly to sacrifice health for extra damage. I've never used it much.

I also pick up a copy of Wait Reaction. We already had a copy, and extra copies of skill books are useless. So I transmute it into a skill book we don't have yet, Trick Step.

Which well... is still kind of useless. It forces the enemy to miss a counterattack when you attack. And there's a typo here since you're supposed to press right, instead of left to perform it.

There's a 'point of no return' which is a cliff leading down into the swamp. Miss any treasures before jumping off, and you'll have to re-enter the swamp again to get them later.

Also, there are no save points in the Swamp. The boss is just around the corner, but luckily, I'm prepared for him.

...It is hard to believe that it suffered a mortal wound in combat...

So we're up against the Dragon Zombie. It's not weak to Lightning, so we can't cheese it with the Grimrist like we could with the Lesser Dragon. However, the Dragon Slayer is always an option. One which we're not going to use.

Instead, we'll use one of the Holy Crystals the swamp so helpfully provides us.

And... done.

Another bounty of easy experience. Don't worry, they'll get harder eventually.

Cross another batch of mud and we have our two artifacts. Neither of them are any use right now, but we'll keep them anyway.

Our last stop is the Cave of Oblivion again. Unfortunately, this time I get the cave formation that has no treasure possible, so I can't even show off anything that interesting about it this time.

No new enemies either. We have Figments, Mantrap Plants, and Pongo Robustus from the Swamp.

And... Dragon Servants from the last chapter. Fire Storm now one-shots them.

Since we're here, might as well show off a couple of things.

While hit-all attacks like Rhizome Spear can end up being annoying, the nice thing is that if more than one character dodges them you can unleash multiple counterattacks at once.

The Combo Counter skill, which we got from the Chapter 1 Sacred Phase, allows the character to use all their available attacks during a counter instead of just one. Pretty handy.

(Not sure why the gif re-coloured Arngrim's armour, either.)

The Scarlet Lotus Sword lets Jun use the So-Enbu attack, which has him slash across the screen to the other side. It's not a bad idea to set this as his first attack, as this allows some of his follow-ups (like Senko-Zan, that upperslash) to push the enemy closer towards us during the attack. Since some characters like Arngrim have a bit of a limited range, pushing enemies back towards us reduces the chance of missing on some of our attacks if earlier moves pushed them too far away.

It also just looks kinda neat for a pincer-style attack.

Here's Wait Reaction as well. And it's actually not too difficult connecting Jun's attacks if you have them set up right. Lenneth's great range with her bow is also handy.

We have quite a bit of free time left, so I just town-hopped. One thing I forgot to point out is that one thing we can do is visit Artolia - after we recruit Lawfer, Celia and Kashell can be found in the tavern.

It's a request from Lawfer, of course we'll accept.

This is also practically the only NPC that talks about Jelanda.

Finally, it's time to send up Belenus, after teaching him all the skills he needs. That's an impressive Hero value right there.

We'll actually do the Sacred Phase in another update. Next time though, there's a very special update.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Jun's animations are the loving best.

That Holy Crystal strategy is neat and I definitely didn't know about it when I played, but would it be worthwhile to try to farm EXP crystals off that zombie? Part of my brain lights up when I see that zombie and says "Juggle me for lots of exp!" but I'm not sure if it holds true.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"

ApplesandOranges posted:

The other annoying aspect of the swamp is mud, which you'll have to wade through from time to time. As one might expect, it greatly slows down movement and restricts your jumps to short hops. It also slows down the music when I'm playing. :v:

Wait, is the music part an intended feature or just your console/emulator being wonky? Because if it's the former then that's actually kind of delightful in a cruel sort of way (which is to say exactly what I would expect from Valkyrie Profile).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that's a giant pile of damage. Are all the crystals that powerful?

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Glazius posted:

Good lord that's a giant pile of damage. Are all the crystals that powerful?

All the crystals do is cast a spell for you. It's just that the Zombie Dragon is weak to Holy.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Urgh, this part. There are four treasure chests in the mud. You have to wade in, pick up the chests using X, then waddle over to dry land, set them down, then open them. Meanwhile you're moving at the speed of bad. Thankfully there are no enemies, so this part is just tedious.

You can just open them in the mud; you have trouble seeing them but it's still easier than carrying them over to dry land.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason why you aren't abusing the fact that breakable weapons won't break if all the enemies are dead by the time your turn ends?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there a reason why you aren't abusing the fact that breakable weapons won't break if all the enemies are dead by the time your turn ends?

Because we haven't run into anything that needs them yet, and it's not like we're going to be really using the crystals much down the road.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

...It is hard to believe that it suffered a mortal wound in combat...

drat right. It took a hundred men to do that. :black101:

In VP2, you actually recruit the guy who led the killing party against that dragon. The poisonous blood that spilled from its wounds killed them and made the whole area what it is in VP1. It's never explained very clearly in-game because you don't actually see their death scenes and the Einherjar come from widely different ages, but if you dig a little you can find some little known facts like so.

Metaphor
Jul 21, 2008

People cannot stand too much reality.

Omobono posted:

From what I understand, the translators mistook the word meaning "annihilate" for a very close-sounding word meaning "engrave." What she's saying is probably more along the lines of "I will annihilate you" or "you shall be annihilated."

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Not that I need to tell anyone in this thread but this game loving owns

IMO the overall best and most fun tri-ace game and Sakurabas best soundtrack. I wish the dungeons in VP2 were as fun (or at least ramped up better)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love Sakuraba as a composer, but I also love how the music he composes for stuff like Mario Tennis and We Love Golf sounds exactly like the music he composes for JRPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdeFRqwvaVc

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Not to mention his solo albums (which he's been releasing quite regularily again recently). A lot of the songs on them could just as well be dungeon or boss themes from a game like this. Take this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LUB9Fp4Sw

Anyway, the music from the swamp dungeon actually got an arrangement. I'm not too happy with the selection since I'm not a big fan of the song and the game is filled with tons of fantastic dungeon themes, but your mileage may vary. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNdmRIlnVJtY%26list%3DPLEA4927EE3AA0A16D

And to play some catch up again: Here's "At the Bottom of Hell is Distortion" :metal:, the music from the Artolian mountain ruins:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyMYb8NMDsTg%26list%3DPLEA4927EE3AA0A16D

What's interesting about this is that the first part of the main melody appears to mirror that of All is Twilight, the music that plays in Artolia itself:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRbXfL5zh_mA

Makes me wonder if the original intention was to use more leitmotifs and themes throughout the soundtrack and this was dropped early on (if only because there are far more dungeons than towns and most of them are not directly connected). There are a few games where I have wondered the same thing, really.

Random trivia of the day: This probably isn't news to most people, but the "character class" of Lenneth in the status menu is Chooser of the Slain. This is actually a translation of the word valkyrja. The val part literally means "fallen", and I believe "to choose" is ultimately related to "kyrja" as well.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

a cartoon duck posted:

Apparently it was also meant to be called Nibelung Velocity, but the translators couldn't figure out the second word wasn't a nonsense-word and just went with Valesti.

"Dwarf Speed"? WTF Japan. Nonsense words make more sense.

Edit: Why not Nibelung Veracity? Annihilate their souls with Dwarf Truths, Lenneth.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

"Dwarf Speed"? WTF Japan. Nonsense words make more sense.

Edit: Why not Nibelung Veracity? Annihilate their souls with Dwarf Truths, Lenneth.

Japan likes using cool sounding foreign languages as much as anyone, it just looks weird when we actually understand the language being used. Engrish is a thing after al [That is not a misspelling]

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

MadHat posted:

Japan likes using cool sounding foreign languages as much as anyone, it just looks weird when we actually understand the language being used. Engrish is a thing after al [That is not a misspelling]

My favorite is still how Verdandi somehow became Belldandy, despite them getting Skuld and Urd just fine.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Freyr's sex-reassignment surgery was strange, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
C Ending

Let's play 'what if'. The Evaluation value goes down as time passes by and as you pick up artifacts without sending them to Odin. The easiest way to fix this is usually to send up an Einherjar to Asgard. But what if we just sit there and twiddle our thumbs?

The Niebelungun Ring will also drop our Evalutation Value if we have it unequipped at the start of a Sacred Phase. Let's see Freya's responses when we're not exactly doing so well...

When your Evaluation value drops below 25 and you exit a town or dungeon, Freya shows up for a friendly reminder.

Lenneth. If you intend to defy the wishes of Lord Odin, then are you prepared for his wrath? Your duty is to find souls suitable to fight in Valhalla as warriors. Do not waste the time remaining to you!

If your Evaluation rating is at 0 at this point, Freya will give you a single point of Evaluation as a last chance as well.

Well...

---

I think you understand now.

Listen: Freya and Lenneth

It is unfortunate, Lenneth, but something has gone deeply wrong inside you, and we have no time to repair a faulty machine. The least I can do is put you into divine sleep by my own hand.

OST: Heads Magic, Tails Curse

And that puts us into an unwinnable boss fight against Freya. Even if you somehow win via cheating, the game acts as if you still lose.

I don't want to die again..!

drat! ...It can't be!

Noooooo!

---

Listen: Freya and Odin

The primary ego, Lenneth, has been sealed off.

The secondary ego, Hrist, has been placed in Valkyrie's astral body and is ready to be awakened.

I see. I suppose there was no choice.

I'm concerned about her past history with Brahms.

So many questions, all of which will be answered... in due time.

That's also the only use for Evaluation Value. As long as you keep it over 25 (or even above 0), you'll never have to worry about it.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird that by being terrible at the game you get that interesting bit of setting detail.

• Locked thread