Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kick Jelanda's snobby rear end to the curb. Mermaid supremacy, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Hey ApplesandOranges, do you think you could get a shot of Yumeis idle animation with just her (and I guess Lenneth since she's required)? I got the idea to turn it into a user title avatar, but it doesn't look that great with Kesh and Janus in the shot.

Ratoslov posted:

Eh, I wanna say this, but Janus is an archer and probably isn't going to be used at all after the next batch of Einherjar, better send him and save sending Jelanda for the inevitable "LENNETH, WE ARE IN NEED OF A MAGE."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Janus, get on up there and arrow the heavens

He can show Llewellyn how it's done.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Janus McAnus.
To Valhally with ye.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm gonna say send Janus. Let's go with trying to make Odin happy this time around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I want to send Jelanda and Kashell but that wasn't an option :(

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:krad:

Although come to think of it, how would a medieval fantasy mermaid know what a finger gun is? :confused:

And on that subject I wouldn't normally think "robust" and "fragile" would be stackable on the same character... but it's Valkyrie Profile, so we have no need for things making sense. Roll with it!

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Thanks! Soon as I can I'm using it.

vilkacis posted:

Although come to think of it, how would a medieval fantasy mermaid know what a finger gun is? :confused:

It's a hand-hand-crossbow, she's mimicking Janus!

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 18, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Don't post sane and rational things in the VP thread, you're making me look bad!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Penakoto posted:

Eh, I wanna say this, but Janus is an archer and probably isn't going to be used at all after the next batch of Einherjar, better send him and save sending Jelanda for the inevitable "LENNETH, WE ARE IN NEED OF A MAGE."

We'll be drowning in mages sooner rather than later.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you send Yumei up, maybe she can teach Llewellyn how to swim!

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I don't think I've ever sent Lawfer up. I want to see what he does in Valhalla but it looks like that won't be happening.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you send Yumei up, maybe she can teach Llewellyn how to swim!

Can't imagine that works very well.

:coolfish:: "Okay, Llewellyn, here's what you do. First, transform into your mermaid form. Then, use your tail-"

:confused:: "Uhhhhh. . ."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ApplesandOranges posted:

For a low 200 MP, the Power and Magic Bangles offer cheap and immediate power boosts. You can't equip two, but considering their cost there's no reason to outfit your party with a matching set of Bangles.
Did you mean there's no reason not to?

Ratoslov posted:

You, and others like you, might want to take a closer look at

ApplesandOranges posted:

So we have a few options, you guys get to pick which one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Haha, yeah, I noticed like right after I posted and felt super dumb.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yumei's bio posted:

Hers is a somewhat sad and tragic life.

I don't see why they feel the need to point this out, when it goes for literally everyone in this game as far as I can see.

But seriously, Yumei's cool. Those animations are hilarious. Fingergun!

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
Can I just say that the vampires in this game are really goofy looking? They look like someone just punched them in the stomach really hard and sent them flying backwards and their bodies just got stuck in that position.

Also, I like how "Moralistic" is a positive trait. In another game I would expect that, but I have a hard time believing that Odin likes his servants to have principles.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
This is quite literally a holy war. You have to imagine they're pushing the 'evil' of the other side.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Stop making me want to play this game. :argh:
I don't even know where my discs are. Or my Playstation. Or my memory cards. All I have is a controller. :negative:

But, no, this is good stuff. I'm learning so many interesting things about this game. I really enjoy the button mashing in this game. I am so glad I picked it up from EBGames for $5. (VP, Suikoden II, Suikoden III, and Arc The Lad Collection, for $25. I don't think they knew what they were doing.)

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

You got this for $5? It's $100+ on eBay, you are drat lucky.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't see why they feel the need to point this out, when it goes for literally everyone in this game as far as I can see.

But seriously, Yumei's cool. Those animations are hilarious. Fingergun!

Not really, a lot of characters have decent life, and in Jelanda's case a luxurious and privileged life, Yumei though... Things were always bad for her, and only got progressively worse after her mother died.

Everyone dies tragically, yeah, but her life sucked from point A to point B.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 19, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Alright, closing the poll; Janus it is.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

vilkacis posted:

:krad:

And on that subject I wouldn't normally think "robust" and "fragile" would be stackable on the same character... but it's Valkyrie Profile, so we have no need for things making sense. Roll with it!

I was about post something on all three of these points (make an avatar, ha ha medieval finger-guns, robust + fragile?) but beaten to the punch on every count. Oh well. :buddy:

I am continually pleased at this game's efforts to depict plate armor that is both reasonable and stylish.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Our next dungeon is a bit of a secret most people probably wouldn't even think of on their first playthrough. To get there, we have to visit Camille after we recruit Kashell.

Namely, the tomb is now open.

Say hi to the Oddrock Caves. This is our first dungeon with a puzzle, though it's not a very hard one.

The enemies here are the same as they were in the Gorhla Cult HQ, so nothing new there.

The main difference is our equipment. Ether Scepter brutally massacres all the regular encounters. I'm pretty sure Lenneth and Jelanda/Yumei could take the whole dungeon by themselves.

After a while I actually opt not to go for the one-round kills just to get some crystals/gems.

Our first stop is down to the stairs and to the right, where we have treasure that's blocked by a Dragon Zombie.

I hope you remember what we did.

Each one coughs up about 6,000 experience, which is pretty nice.

The Dragon guards a Bastard Sword (decent weapon, but 6% chance of break) and later on we can find the Defend skill, which is more CP dump for stats.

Further on, we find our gimmick. The statues will slide back and forth over a certain area, and will damage us if we touch it. It can't be destroyed, so we'll just have to jump over them.

Also present are mounted eyes that will periodically shoot a diagonal beam. If we get touched, we're frozen in place for a while and take some damage.

The beams aren't really too hard to dodge if you remember they're there, and you have a fair amount of time between blasts anyway.

Lots of enemies in this one room guarding a Flare Baselard (powerful sword with 50% Fire, but 5% break).

Since Lenneth can equip Grimrist, Yumei can take out all the monsters and Lenneth can take out the Dragon Zombies. Whoever else you bring along is who you want to gain some experience.

Drow Shamans are the one new enemy here. They cast spells, but are otherwise easy to dispose of. They can drop Icicle Edge and Sap Power spells.

Further ahead is an eye beam and an impassable wall of sludge.

First, we set up a crystal...

...Which will deflect the beam onto the sludge and freeze it. We can then shatter it with our sword and get 6,000 event experience.

We also find a copy of Trick Step, which I transmute into Noise Arrow. It allows Archers to do an attack that prevents enemy from casting spells (though there are some enemies where we would prefer that they cast spells).

There's another treasure room with another Dragon Zombie.

I will not get tired of this.

The chests are all booby trapped with arrow traps (jump to the other side to avoid them). The last one has a poison-tipped arrow, too, but coughs up another Dragon Slayer.

Further on is another eye puzzle.

First, we shatter a wall of sludge with a crystal.

We then move forward, and then jump and shoot a crystal at the celling to deflect the reflected beam again.

And finally, create a third crystal to deflect it one last time to freeze another sludge wall and get 12,000 exp. We can only have three crystals out at once, so that's the only way to do it.

One last eye deflection later on ahead...

With a Dragon Zombie right behind the sludge.

I would keep Jun around just for Senko-Jins on appropriate enemies.

Neckless Dolls, dropped by Dragon Zombies, can be transmuted into Scout Orbs. When equipped, they increase the chance of us attacking first if we don't get an initial strike.

Before the boss fight, I switch Jun over to the Daemon Slayer that we got from the Nethov Swamp.

:drac: I cannot be defeated by a lowly mortal. Neither can I be defeated by a lowly goddess who relies upon the power of mortals to fight for her.

:drac: I believe I will.

Okay, so... apparently I lost all my footage and screenshots of the fight, somehow. So you'll have to take my word on it that the Greater Demon is (shockingly enough) a Demon, and so the Daemon Slayer cuts it up six ways to Sunday.

Not too bad.

The Golden Fowl is a special item - it doesn't do anything by itself, and it can't be transmuted. However, at the start of each chapter, it will produce a Golden Egg, which can be consumed by a character to get bonuses to STR/INT/AGL/DEX, or converted into 4000 MP. More interestingly, they can be converted into Bracelets of Zoe, which grant an additional +300 DME when a characte levels up. Very worth keeping.

The Grand Sting only has one attack, but it has very high power (500 ATK), and has a 50% Lightning bonus. If you can make up for the loss of meter gain, it's better than the Elemental Edge.

And we're done with Camille. We'll be back one last time a couple chapters down the road.

Before finishing, we'll do the Cave of Oblivion.

Unfortunately, we get the exact same configuration as last time (no treasure). So nothing even that interesting to bring up.

The enemies are from last chapter too. How disappointing.

To give Kashell some credit, Air Pressure is a pretty sick looking counterattack, especially on flying foes.

Well that was a bit of a bust. There is one more place that opened up on the western part of the World Map though, that less observant players wouldn't have noticed.

We'll delve into it next time.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I remember actually thinking about it as a kid and deciding that Celia probably had no chance of killing that demon by herself, so I went back and ended up finding the cave completely on a hunch. It's not exactly a hard dungeon either if you can wipe the Dragon Zombies.

Brahms, huh. I never did beat that rear end in a top hat.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Using the crystals to bounce those beams around is a neat mechanic. I like the platforming aspects of the VP games, despite the lack of any real threats/challenge.

I remember using Oddrock to grind, since it's technically a town and only takes up one time unit as opposed to other dungeons which take two. Not sure why, though - all that event EXP goes pretty far, if you make the most of what you've got. Not to mention you get more than enough time anyway. :downs:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've only ever played this game on Hard, so I'm seeing a lot of stuff for the first time despite having beaten this game several times.

Screw all the Kashell haters. VP1 is easy enough that you can use just about whoever you want, and Kashell has my second favorite story after Suo.

Also, I believe the artbook states that Celia has romantic feelings for Kashell which he never returns. :smith: indeed. At least the two of them get their own art piece:

inthesto fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 21, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

inthesto posted:

Screw all the Kashell haters. VP1 is easy enough that you can use just about whoever you want, and Kashell has my second favorite story after Suo.

Suo and Shiho have my favorite story and art in the whole game. That piece is stunning.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Ah Guts, part one of the "Immortality Machine"
I love the animations of characters, Kashel I am not a fan of as a character but his idle is pretty amazing.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Can't wait to see this play out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Kashell's ridiculous air dive is great with dudes who have a lot of knockup. Combo count is almost as important as raw damage, and having useful attacks is a big part of racking it up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MadHat posted:

Ah Guts, part one of the "Immortality Machine"

Honestly Guts is all you really need; at max level your characters will almost always survive fatal damage. You can layer extra defense on top of Guts if you want, but I'd rather spend my CP elsewhere (and avoid the extra battle effects associated with what I assume you're talking about).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Brahms' Castle appears on the western part of the World Map in Chapter 3. There is no indication of this unless your eyes have spotted that red dot on the map that wasn't there before.

OST: The Name of His People is Fear

The dungeon is special as well, as we're given a four-minute timer once we enter, to represent the time before sunset, where the castle will disappear. The timer runs down while we're in the dungeon, but pauses when we open up menus or enter battle. If we run out of time, we get booted out to the World Map and will have to use up more periods to re-enter. There's plenty of treasure to be found in Brahms' castle, and it is possible to get every piece of treasure and find him in his castle if you know where to go. As such, I'll be detailing my route through the castle as well.

Enemies here can be visibly tough if you came here right at the start of the chapter. Lesser Vampires make a reappearance.

I've never seen Succubi do much.

Demon Servants aren't special now that we have some levels under our belt. They can hit for around 1500+ but unless it's on an Archer it's not too threatening right now.

The Vampire Lord from Gorlha HQ also returns as a regular enemy.

Fortunately, Ether Scepter demolishes all of them if you so desire. I opt not to to gain more experience and treasure, but it's a good fallback option.

The other note is that several of the treasure chests are facing the wrong way while against a wall, so you have to spend some time picking them up, putting them the right way round, then opening them. Some of them are booby trapped, too.

Anyway, first we go right, then up twice, then left to find a Unicorn Horn and a Moonflax. The former is useless... for now, while the Moonflax is a Holy-elemental sword with a 5% chance of breaking.

We then go right twice and take the first passage down to get a copy of Normalize, and then the second passage to get a Burgundy Flask, which transmutes into a Shadow Crystal.

The screen to the right after that has another room down with a Beast Slayer. No surprises as to what it's effective on.

Then we go right and head up some stairs, to get a copy of Combo Counter and a Nightshade.

Then it's down through a series of identical pathways. When we emerge, it's left and into a room for a copy of Heal.

From there, head left twice to get another Flare Baselard. We then head right twice and up twice to find a Vegetable Seed and a copy of Throw in the rooms.

We go up the stairs, where there is a passage to the right with treasure rooms to the north and south. More interesting is a stationary Ram Guardian we can choose to fight. At 25,600 health, it's the toughest thing we've fought so far.

We even get to bust out the PWS for this fight.

The good news is that the Ram Guardian is vulnerable to status effects. Janus' Ill Injection works very well to inflict Poison, and Icicle Edge/Frigid Damsel have chances to Freeze it, giving you a few rounds to heal if necessary.

Which you might very well need, since the Guardian hits very hard, doing near 20k on characters like Arngrim.

It can only kill one character at a time however, so as long as you have enough Union Plumes he's not too big of a threat.

The experience awarded is generous at the very least.

The treasure, not so much.

After collecting the last treasure in the castle (a Warhammer, some transmutable items, and a copy of Stone Torch), we then head back to the stairs and hit left.

And hit the save point with about a minute to spare.

I swap Jun out for Yumei - having as many mages as possible in the next fight is a good thing. I also equip everyone with a maxed out Guts skill.

I assume you are prepared.

What...?

Valkyrie. What has happened to you? Do you not remember me... let alone your own sister?

...What are you saying?

!!

Don't move. I always believed that you would be the one to fill my cold, empty heart...

He's the Lord of the Undead. Clearly we can't trust him.

Your condition is very serious. Look there. Do you still feel nothing, seeing this?

Lenneth. You and I need not do battle here.

Brahsm is, to his credit, a tough foe. With 52,000 health, he's got more health than even the Ram Guardian.

Physical attacks do next to nothing to him.

And to say he hits hard is an understatement.

Brahms PWS

Incidentally, Brahms is voiced by Ken Gates, who also voiced Odin.

Clearly, we aren't expected to win this battle. In fact, the game just kindly kicks you out of Brahms' castle if you lose this fight.

That said, there are a few things in our favour. First off, magic is the only way to hurt Brahms, hence why we brought both Yumei and Jelanda. Jelanda's using our Ether Scepter, but Yumei will do fine with an Element Scepter.

Secondly, we have Guts. As mentioned before, Guts will automatically revive a character when they die, with a higher chance of it activating the higher the level. With maxed Guts on everyone, we have a good chance of invalidating Brahms' efforts each time he kills a character.

Even without it, Brahms can only kill one character per turn. So Lenneth/Arngrim can just toss Union Plumes at whoever dies if Guts doesn't save them.

With that, it's just a battle of attrition.

Amusingly, when Brahms does his PWS after his attack chain, sometimes he'll end up facing the other way and whiff the initial portion of it.

Lenneth and a fourth character are still helpful for gems, to give your Sorcerers more chances to cast their spells. Logically I should have brought Janus instead of Arngrim, since he deals more hits, but ah well.

Eventually...

...We do enough damage.

It... It cannot be!

We don't get any rewards for beating Brahms, and after the battle we get kicked out to the world map. If we re-enter Brahms' Castle, his throne room will be empty, but we can still pilfer any remaining treasure.

We'll worry about what he said another day. For now, we have a date with Freya, after we send up Janus.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Multiple mages? What is this madness?!

Still not bad, kicking Brahms' undead behind this early. Pretty sure I didn't even have enough union plumes to take on the goat first time through there, much less its boss.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I always assumed Brahms was literally unbeatable. You don't get any prizes for beating him at all?

Also, I liked bringing three mages into the Lezard fight, so I could just chain three greater magics and wipe out the entire thing without having to worry about dragon installs or whatever they were called

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Brahms:

I always make a treasure loop around the first floor of his castle in chapter 3 regardless of whether or not I intend to fight him. The beast slayer and other treasures are nice to have in chapter 4 dungeons.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
Ooh, did we just stumble across a dose of plot in a side area? I love it when that happens. I could swear I remember hearing Brahms' name mentioned somewhere before, but I'm not sure if it was in this game or if I'm just thinking of the town next to Silent Hill.

Does anything interesting happen if you pause to consider not fighting him, or is that just the "I'm not ready to take on an optional boss" choice?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Overrated Sage posted:

Ooh, did we just stumble across a dose of plot in a side area? I love it when that happens. I could swear I remember hearing Brahms' name mentioned somewhere before, but I'm not sure if it was in this game or if I'm just thinking of the town next to Silent Hill.

Does anything interesting happen if you pause to consider not fighting him, or is that just the "I'm not ready to take on an optional boss" choice?

That'll get shown off on our second pass through, but the net effect is that you'll get kicked out to the World Map anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Overrated Sage posted:

I could swear I remember hearing Brahms' name mentioned somewhere before

Periodically, after battle, instead of saying "their souls have been cleansed" or whatever, Valkyrie will randomly say "Someday I must face Brahms." I don't think that's been in the LP but it might be what you're thinking of if you've played the game at all.

He's also, of course, a Romantic-period composer, who composed this masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ

Sientara
May 27, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Periodically, after battle, instead of saying "their souls have been cleansed" or whatever, Valkyrie will randomly say "Someday I must face Brahms."

I believe that is Freya that says that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Periodically, after battle, instead of saying "their souls have been cleansed" or whatever, Valkyrie will randomly say "Someday I must face Brahms."

That's Freya.

quote:

I always assumed Brahms was literally unbeatable. You don't get any prizes for beating him at all?

No. The whole point of this matter is meeting him, for reasons that will be dealt with later. MUCH later, from the sounds of it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2014

• Locked thread