Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My one complaint about Covenant of the Plume was that I would rather play through Celia's story.

Maybe it could be a buddy-cop thing with Celia and Hrist; that'd kill two birds with one stone - wrap up some loose threads, and finally complete the trilogy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

It's a bit of a moot point anyway as Grey gets a shiny new einherjar body once Lenneth recruits him anyway.
Does he? Even when you recruit him, he's still just a suit of armor, you never see the inside or anything. I suppose if Jelanda isn't a horrible monster thing anymore, he presumably has his normal human body in there , but still.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

Max in Operation Darkness is a German soldier used to reanimate an empty suit of power armor who turns on the rear end in a top hat necromancers who brought him back from rest.

Well, there's some question about if he's an empty suit or if he's a corpse fused to armor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, do the Fullmetal Alchemist RPGs count for games with living armor party members? :v:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Endorph posted:

Does he? Even when you recruit him, he's still just a suit of armor, you never see the inside or anything. I suppose if Jelanda isn't a horrible monster thing anymore, he presumably has his normal human body in there , but still.

Could be wrong, but I'm 90% certain it says in his bio that he's just the armor, as that was what his soul was bound to when Lemia revived him. Jelanda's body was what was transformed, not her soul, so she would show up in her original form. Grey, meanwhile, had apparently been schlepping around as a walking set of armor for awhile, so his soul had grown accustomed to that form, and thus that was the form his spirit took upon recruitment. That's my theory, anyway. It more or less boils down to "the developers didn't want to have to make two bodies/heads", but it at least makes some sense.

Endorph posted:

Also, do the Fullmetal Alchemist RPGs count for games with living armor party members? :v:

No, though Al does count in that category. FMA games are just anime first, game second.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Grey:

I bench him almost immediately. Hilarious voice acting does not offset the worst PWS. I do like how his back story ties together several of the other stories.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
One of the few phys fighters to have a true unblockable. Not always useful. but more often than not.

...VP is a game where you can use who you like, because often the difference in numbers, significant or not, doesn't detract from actual USE.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bloodly posted:

...VP is a game where you can use who you like, because often the difference in numbers, significant or not, doesn't detract from actual USE.

At least, until the post-game. In that case, you'll pretty much be running with Lenneth, Lawfer, Arngrim, and a sorceress, only swapping out once you get the ludicrous post-game characters.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I always really liked Grey in terms of style. Shame his PWS is so awful. His regular attack chain was solid from what I recall, so it was really just the PWS holding him back.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
And now we're into uncharted territory for me - Got to say, love Grey's design, but I'm a sucker for cool armor. I think one of the reasons I never made it too far (besides failing to grasp the underlying fundamentals of gameplay) was just that I always used whoever I thought looked coolest, which more often than not wasn't the best combination for the game.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

McKilligan posted:

I always used whoever I thought looked coolest, which more often than not wasn't the best combination for the game.

No no, you were doing it exactly right. "Do you look cool?" and "Is your voice good okay mostly tolerable?" are the only two questions worth asking.

The last one has always been a serious dealbreaker for me. In all the various gimmick runs I've attempted in this game I've never managed to use Lawfer for more than a few fights. "Surely he can't sound as supremely stilted and hammy as I remember," I'd say, and then immediately be proven wrong.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Wonderslug posted:

No no, you were doing it exactly right. "Do you look cool?" and "Is your voice good okay mostly tolerable?" are the only two questions worth asking.

For people who played the game in Japanese, this question led to Jacquelinas/Janus never getting sent up. Because no way we're sending Wakamoto Norio to heaven.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

This is the only correct way to choose a mage. I will not consider using one mage in particular because of the way she sounds when she gets hit.

Right now I and currently playing through trying to use more of the ones I usually bench to give them a chance. Which means that in chapter 8 I am running around with Valkyrie, Badrach, Grey and a mage, and doing quite fine. I always forget how aggravating some of those dungeons are until I get in them. I am so not good at platforming.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

For people who played the game in Japanese, this question led to Jacquelinas/Janus never getting sent up. Because no way we're sending Wakamoto Norio to heaven.

WAKAMOTO? HE WAS WAKAMOTO? No wonder Janus was such a useful archer. Flare shot +50% heat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AfroSquirrel posted:

My one complaint about Covenant of the Plume was that I would rather play through Celia's story.

Maybe it could be a buddy-cop thing with Celia and Hrist; that'd kill two birds with one stone - wrap up some loose threads, and finally complete the trilogy!

That sounds like it would be fun and lighthearted adventure...you did notice your playing the Valkery Profile franchise right?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

That sounds like it would be fun and lighthearted adventure...you did notice your playing the Valkery Profile franchise right?

But it does involve the Queen of depression and Empress hardass.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

a cartoon duck posted:

It's a bit of a moot point anyway as Grey gets a shiny new einherjar body once Lenneth recruits him anyway.

I forgot, has ApplesandOranges shown off what happens when Lenneth gets defeated in combat? I thought it was a neat touch how without Lenneth in combat to maintain the physical forms of her einherjar they only have three turns to revive her or finish the battle before they fade away.

It hasn't come up very often and the few times that it did I forgot to grab a screenshot. I'll remember it if it happens again though.

It's funny how this game came out ten years before FFXIII and did the 'game over if party leader dies' mechanic way better.

Obligatum VII posted:

I always really liked Grey in terms of style. Shame his PWS is so awful. His regular attack chain was solid from what I recall, so it was really just the PWS holding him back.

I'll mention it once we get to use Grey in battle, but it's not just his PWS - Grey actually has the stat growth of a swordsman rather than a heavy warrior, which puts him decidedly behind Arngrim and Kashell in terms of damage purposes.

If anything, he's more memorable than Jayle, so I'll give him that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Grey's voice really was the tipping point for me. It sounded like Eric Stuart was badly constipated.

Is there an archive of the Japanese voices? This was the year 2000, back when the English voice acting pool was a little more limited and VA direction tended to be pretty weak. I'd really like to hear all the characters as they were originally recorded.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

inthesto posted:

Grey's voice really was the tipping point for me. It sounded like Eric Stuart was badly constipated.

Is there an archive of the Japanese voices? This was the year 2000, back when the English voice acting pool was a little more limited and VA direction tended to be pretty weak. I'd really like to hear all the characters as they were originally recorded.

Start here, it has links to everyone else too: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1057980

If you don't have a Nico video account, you can find some nico rips on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc1g-Y9UhzM

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I ashamed to admit it, but when I beat the game, and the post game content, I used Grey the entire time. It was Anagrim, Grey, and Sorcerer (can't remember who). I was young and thought coolness of character was more important than anything like stats or some such.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

I ashamed to admit it, but when I beat the game, and the post game content, I used Grey the entire time. It was Anagrim, Grey, and Sorcerer (can't remember who). I was young and thought coolness of character was more important than anything like stats or some such.

You thought right. No shame in using sub-par characters just because you like them.

No shame. :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

vilkacis posted:

You thought right. No shame in using sub-par characters just because you like them.

No shame. :colbert:

Unless that character is Llewellyn, because he can't swim :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Requiem

No shortage of Einherjar from Hai-Lan, it seems.

We'd be better off without you! Can't you understand that!?

Listen: Shiho

"Shiho, you are our inspiration. Your song makes men into warriors with no fear of death. And brings our nation great honor. So please don't let the words of that foolish woman upset you."

Shiho herself doesn't have a voiced line in this sequence, but she's voiced by Tara Jayne, who's also voiced Llewelyn, Celia, Nanami, and Yumei.

---

---

That singer transformed their warriors into fearless berserkers! As long as that songstress draws breath, we have no hope of victory.

Music stops.

Panic is spreading throughout the enemy troops!

---

---

Then you can't see?

From birth, I have been destined for life as a song-maiden. The god's gave me no light, though. Perhaps they grew tired of giving it. Yet, is my desiring it such a terrible thing?

If you gave up singing, what would you desire?

---

We have captured the enemy's song-maiden.

Yes, but...

S...UO...

Why! Even her companions abandoned her fighting spirit and all that-!

That woman has led many of your compatriots to their deaths!

But...!

---

If we visit Hai-Lan before her recruitment, we can overhear the NPCs talking about Shiho:

And afterwards:

Shiho character art.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 20, 2014

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
I don't think "Because I'm blind" is a correct answer to the question "Why did you stop singing?"

I also honestly thought that the samurai were undead at first, and I was really confused when there were skeletons on both sides. Those are some convincing masks.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
And there's the first half of my favorite recruitment scenes in the game.

As expected, they're very depressing. :smith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Suo's going to die next, isn't he? For being the kind of guy willing to spare someone's life? :smith:

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Those Samurais have the most bad-rear end looking armor.

Skull faces, huge horns and pauldron spikes, hell yeah! :black101:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Overrated Sage posted:

I don't think "Because I'm blind" is a correct answer to the question "Why did you stop singing?"

I also honestly thought that the samurai were undead at first, and I was really confused when there were skeletons on both sides. Those are some convincing masks.

I thought the same thing until Suo took off his mask when I first played.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Suo's going to die next, isn't he? For being the kind of guy willing to spare someone's life? :smith:

He's a named character in a VP game, of course he's going to die.
I actually have forgotten if he's a recruitable, but there's no way Lenneth isn't recruiting him in a chapter or two.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Overrated Sage posted:

I think the way to interpret this is that this is the first and only time anyone's ever asked what Shiho actually wants. Just look how everybody talks about her: She was raised from birth to do specifically this, but they still hate her because they think she's the cause of all the violence in war. When somebody just stops to see her as a person, she's going to say the first thing that pops into her head, ignoring the specifics. (Yes, I know that this is more the result of a poorly translated script).

The fact that she's replaced so quickly is just an extra kick in the gut. The fact that she let herself die to stop the violence didn't make an ounce of difference in the end.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so Hai-Lan is apparently Macross.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Psion posted:

so Hai-Lan is apparently Macross.

Except that here it's the Valkyrie who is piloting people, rather than the other way around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AfroSquirrel posted:

Except that here it's the Valkyrie who is piloting people, rather than the other way around.

Good point :golfclap:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Shiho:

I tend to use Shiho a lot. I wish they has made some of her voice acting singing to go better with her recruitment.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Sientara posted:

I tend to use Shiho a lot. I wish they has made some of her voice acting singing to go better with her recruitment.
I don't think she'll be that eager to sing again after all she went through.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't think I've ever used Shiho. After a certain point I just stop switching out mages.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Somehow I end up always using her, despite all mages becoming Priests in the end.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't think I've ever used Shiho. After a certain point I just stop switching out mages.

I swapped 'em around purely for cosmetic purposes, since they're perfectly interchangeable.

Well, except for when you're getting Team Rocket back together...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

AfroSquirrel posted:

You sir have won my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hopefully I can get that update up tomorrow and stick to the update-every-two-days schedule I've been keeping, but I'm running a bit sick this week. If I'm not feeling so hot tomorrow I might just put up a poll for the next Einherjar in the meantime.

• Locked thread