Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

tri-Ace has a tendency to have a few bonkers random encounters that'll gently caress you up more than their bosses. Spider Robots from Star Ocean 3 come to mind

A spider robot can gently caress you up (goodbye chain bonus). Spider Robots in one encounter manage to do something so much worse than loving you up that I don't think there's a word for it. They're the only thing that can stand up against spamming sidekick... except now I just remembered the loving D20 enemies, or the prism guys... :argh:

I can't remember if I asked this before, but will you attempt to show the nastiest encounter in the game? In all the times I've played it, I never fought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I can't remember if I asked this before, but will you attempt to show the nastiest encounter in the game? In all the times I've played it, I never fought them.

If it's the post-game one I'm thinking of I'll certainly try to.

Also closing the poll, I think Shiho and Suo have a good enough lead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Chapter 7 Sacred Phase

Quick stop in the Cave of Oblivion.

New enemy here: Demon "Wiead" is normally found in Chapter 8 on Hard Mode.

Last Wish has a 25% chance of connecting, but if it does it reduces its target's health to 1.

Their RDM is high enough that weaker Einherjar won't do a lot of damage. Even Yumei's spells were only doing about a thousand.

They can also heal themselves for about a third of their life.

Lenneth's weak to Darkness, but they can also pull some nasty damage with Shadow Servant and Prismatic Missile.

That's really the worst of it however - Last Wish and spells aside they really don't hit that hard with good armour, so it's a long battle, not a hard one.

The aura around a character when they start a PWS corresponds to how many PWS you've done in that around already - one is blue, two is green, three is red and if they're fourth, white. The third and fourth PWS get a 1/3 damage boost. This is why Lenneth and Arngrim work really well - they can both fill the gauge to 100 even if they're third while racking up some decent numbers to the hit count, so whoever's fourth can pile on a nice chunk of extra damage.

Good experience at the very least.

Spectators also normally only appear in Chapter 8 on Hard. They're not very threatening.

There's a bit of treasure, but we do finally get a good one - a free Mighty Check.

Suo's Hero Value can get really high. If you could send him to Valhalla earlier he'd have the highest Hero Value in the game.

Our current situation is...

Our forces are routing the enemy. If things continue as they are, all is well.

Do you wish to know the status of our Einherjar?

Quick fast forwarding through all the Einherjar with nothing noteworthy.

Thanks.

Think nothing of it. Healing is my job.

Listen, Grey. Your pain.. You bury it within yourself, but it's like poison. You need to let it out.

I'm fine. You need not concern yourself.

And somehow, Grey gets +2 to Hero Value.

Part of the reason you guys voted for these two, I suppose.

The way they scaled the portraits makes Shiho look like she has a gigantic head compared to Suo, it's amusing.

From now on, I will protect you. I won't let anything bad happen.

Stop The Presses: Happy Ending in Valkyrie Profile.

Suo and Shiho join Belenus in the 2nd Platoon, so let's go to their mission.

Kashell and Jun also join Belenus, Suo and Shiho.

It seems the Vanir have joined forces with those of Niflheim. If we do not do something, we will be in great danger. We must strike while the iron is hot! Go at once to Niflheim and capture the Goddess Hel!

And there's the only shot we'll get of Hel. See you in another game. :unsmith:

Lenneth, about your performance...

It is magnificent.

The Lord Odin is pleased with you.

Confession: I resetted for this one. The last item on the list is a weapon randomly chosen from a stock. Gram is the only weapon that can't be purchasable from the shop, and it is also a very powerful sword, with 2000 ATK and three attacks.

Lenneth, I have a request to make of you...

We need at least one warrior who can cause great damage. We need someone who can issue battle commands. Send us a courageous warrior who can lead. Cowards are useless to us. Only the bravest may fight for Odin.

The final chapter!

However, we're not getting any Einherjar recruiting sequences...

...So I guess we're going straight to the dungeons next update.

Sacred Phase

It also means we can start working on Freya's request right away:

Hero Value 120, March, Brave, Fight, Counter, Leadership, Formation.

Since we've sent up Janus, Grey and Suo (the only other Einherjar with Brave), Jayle would normally be our only other choice. However, the important thing to remember is that there is no Sacred Phase after this - we're going straight to Ragnarok, and we won't see any scenes with any Einherjar we send up. So the only reason to send one up this chapter is to get more MP from Freya.

So the board's open! We'll leave out a few Einherjar that either just won't meet the Hero Value (Badrach) or simply aren't suited for sending up this run for one reason or another. Otherwise, most of our team can be sent up, keeping in mind that Jayle will score the best and Nanami/Yumei will score the worst because they also can't learn Counter.

Alternatively, we could just send nobody. What'll we do?

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 31, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Stop The Presses: Happy Ending in Valkyrie Profile.

That's it folks, LP over. People were happy in VP, Ragnarok came early.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm glad it happened for once, though. Relentless tragedy loses its edge. You need things to go right (or sorta right) occasionally, too, to keep the sting.

Plus, I like Suo and Shiho.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It's nice to see such good taste. No votes for Fingergun or Dragongirl so far!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dunno why anyone's voting for anyone. There's no real benefit to sending anyone up this late.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Poor Widar and Nyx. Such cool dudes, get almost no screen time.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Yeah, pretty sure you can't see any of their status in Valhalla afterwards and MP is stupidly easy to get that late in the game if you convert a few useless items.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Augh, you let Yumei max out on CP! Spend some of those points, stat!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
We're doing the 'Odin's Pawn' ending first right? So it makes sense to send him up whatever he asked for.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Also, are there any plans on doing Valkyrie Profile 2 after this?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Vicissitude posted:

Also, are there any plans on doing Valkyrie Profile 2 after this?

There's a whole other playthrough of VP1 coming yet, so a bit premature that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I guess they captured the Ship of Bones. Then again, I don't remember that being Hel's project, as such.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
VP2 is a pretty long game, and honestly doesn't have anywhere near as good a plot as VP1's. The einherjar are all basically generics -- you find them semi-randomly in dungeons, they share movelists (that is, there are like 8-10 different attacks that Swordsmen can have, and each Swordsman einherjar will get a subset of them), and you only find out what their backstory is by reading plot dumps linked off their profile pages.

It's a completely different focus compared to VP1, and IMO doesn't work as well. It does some neat things, mind -- combat is more involved than in VP1, for example -- but on the whole VP1 is a superior game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Man, if there's one thing I realized the last couple chapters, it's that Normal mode is really gimped on dungeons compared to Hard mode. Are there any Easy mode-exclusive dungeons or is the meat of the game just straight up reserved for Hard mode?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think there might be a couple but by and large easy has even fewer dungeons than normal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

a cartoon duck posted:

Man, if there's one thing I realized the last couple chapters, it's that Normal mode is really gimped on dungeons compared to Hard mode. Are there any Easy mode-exclusive dungeons or is the meat of the game just straight up reserved for Hard mode?

There are basically three kinds of dungeon: Easy and Normal only, Normal and Hard only, and Hard only.

Doing Hard gets you the bulk of the game's content - there are less dungeons early on but more later. Easy actually gets nothing to do in Chapter 8 except the Cave of Oblivion.

And I figure I'll just mention my stance on what's after VP1 - there are a few games I want to LP, VP2 near the top of the list, if only because it hasn't been done before and I'd want to complete the trilogy at some point. It'll be a bit of a time investment especially because I want to get the technical knowledge to do the game right, since the game was designed for the PS2 and I won't be able to do some of the things I've done for the past two LPs, like the gifs. My initial thought was along the lines of kethryveris' Shadow Hearts LPs. There are also a few games I want that are coming out near the end of summer, so that might eat up a bit of my time as well.

TLDR: It'll get done at some point in the future if I can help it, but I'd want to do it well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

a cartoon duck posted:

Easy and Normal share dungeons. Hard has its own set. I wouldn't call them 'the meat', as much as 'different'.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
From what I remember, most of this game is best seen on Hard Mode. From as early as Chapter 2, I believe, we start seeing dungeons that are entirely exclusive to Hard, and at least a few of them are interesting ideas, if little else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you have a reasonably powerful computer (a desktop Intel i5 or i7 or certain laptop i7s) it's not hard to emulate PS2 games and record them full speed. I'm doing that for a Warship Gunner 2 LP and that game hates emulators.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I get where he's coming from, but that's sort of a dick thing to say to a blind person.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Confession: I resetted for this one. The last item on the list is a weapon randomly chosen from a stock. Gram is the only weapon that can't be purchasable from the shop, and it is also a very powerful sword, with 2000 ATK and three attacks.

You could argue that Gram IS actually store-bought, as you can't find it anywhere. I assume you will show off the way to get it properly later, as the dungeon that houses one of it's components is not one you visited on this run.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

If you have a reasonably powerful computer (a desktop Intel i5 or i7 or certain laptop i7s) it's not hard to emulate PS2 games and record them full speed. I'm doing that for a Warship Gunner 2 LP and that game hates emulators.

Wait what? Is this live yet? I couldn't find it on the forums. Warship Gunner 2 was awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wait what? Is this live yet? I couldn't find it on the forums. Warship Gunner 2 was awesome.

It's been on hold for the last month for reasons but I'm probably going to go live in the next week or two. I just gotta get around to making up my mind on how I'm going to format the first big menu jockeying update.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
It's been ages, but I believe Black Dream Tower is the only Easy/Normal-only dungeon; everything else can also be found on Hard. I could be mistaken though.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

Unoriginal One posted:

It's been ages, but I believe Black Dream Tower is the only Easy/Normal-only dungeon; everything else can also be found on Hard. I could be mistaken though.

Whatever Cult Headquarters are easy/normal too.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Edge Milesworth posted:

Whatever Cult Headquarters are easy/normal too.

And the Forest of Woe and the Dragoncastle caverns, I believe.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

dis astranagant posted:

It's been on hold for the last month for reasons but I'm probably going to go live in the next week or two. I just gotta get around to making up my mind on how I'm going to format the first big menu jockeying update.

ships_that_didn't_happen.txt

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Huh, could've sworn...

Oh, wait, I think I know what happened; it's probably a music/tileset thing. Forests and caves tend to bleed together after a while, and I think the tower's resources are unique in that regard. Or at least I don't recall either of those being reused for hard mode stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, I see. Our various dudes we've sent back are organized into troops to do missions. There were only three this time, so our power only went up by 3.

Seriously, though, invading Hel's domain? That's crazy high-tier stuff, good job heroes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Of Gods and Men

The shops are, of course, upgraded accordingly for the final chapter, and there's some good stuff in there. The Valkyrie Favor is a powerful sword that's also usable by Samurai and Warriors. However, Gram is still stronger.

Spearmen and Samurai get less powerful, but still considerably strong weapons with their noted bonuses (+20 CP/level up and CT reduction by 1). Jun/Suo can use either the Ama-no-Murakumo or the Valkyrie Favor/Gram, but there is a fairly big drop in power - Gram has 1250 more attack power than the Ama-no-Murakumo, for example.

Arngrim finally gets a three-attack weapon again, the Bahamut Tear also adding the 30% to DME damage that the Violet Forge did. This also makes the Arectaris redundant.

Time for the last dungeon in Normal Mode. Easy doesn't even get this - their last dungeon was the Forest of Spirits.

OST: Out of Chaos

The Palace of the Dragon is a lot more likable once you actually know how to solve the puzzles within. If not, hope you like backtracking. We'll start by heading all the way to the right.

Paintings like these are scattered throughout the Palace. Each of them represents one of the Major Arcana in Tarot. This one is The Tower (XVI), which represents the fall of arrogance.

And we find a stone behind it.

Said stone is used in this teleporter statue; we'll be back with new stones to warp to different parts of the dungeon.

We also start running into enemies at this point, though none of them are as bad as Mandragoras especially now that we have new weapons. Grey Bones are big but all bone and no bite. They can Possess allies, however.

To the right is Not-Barbarossa, which guards a chest and a painting of The World (XX), which symbolizes the world's totality.

The Dullahan Lord shares many of Barbarossa's moves, including Calamity Blast (though he lacks Guard Reinforce). However, his RDM is crappy and despite having 40,000 health he goes down quite easily.

Still, nice experience.

Mage Lords know Succession Magic and will cast Fire Lance, Icicle Edge and Heal. As expected, they're weak to Poison and take little damage from other elemental spells.

The Palace is actually really nice for getting some experience if you have a good crystal-grabber.

Oh hi there.

The Eternal Chimaera knows lots of status moves and elemental damage. When it gets low on health it'll start unleashing powerful Poison and Freeze attacks.

Not that you should let it get a chance to, as its defenses are nothing to boast about.

This painting is of the Wheel of Fortune (X), and as one might guess, deals with fate and opportunities. We also get another stone.

A doorway hidden behind a pushable stone leads us to a save point and a painting of The Fool (0), representing innocence, freedom and spontaneity.

Using the Eclipse Stone brings us to a new portion of the Palace. Dragonewts know Might Reinforce and Primsatic Missile, and will always block, forcing you to use an unblockable and guard their crushes.

Eventually we come to a four statues in each of the cardinal directions which we can rotate. We have to rotate them so the top one faces left, the left faces right, the bottom faces up and the right faces down. This is based on a similar room earlier on, which we can't interact with - we just have to match the statues to the positions of the earlier ones.

Doing so unlocks the doorway to the right.

Painting here's The Emperor (IV), implying desire to control one's surroundings. We won't be using this one just yet.

Ahead to the left is another painting yielding a Darkspot Stone. Death (XIII) is fairly self-explanatory, though it's not entirely bad - it can also suggest regeneration and the start of a new cycle.

Back at the teleporter, we can use the Crescent Moon Stone to warp to a new part.

Along the way, we can pass by this hallway of paintings.

Another Eternal Chimaera guards the painting of the Chariot (VII), the symbol of victory and self-control. The painting also holds for us a Darkpath Stone.

Which we'll naturally use to get out of here.

Now for the gimmick puzzle. The door at the end of this hallway is locked, and there are eight rooms along the length of the hallway. Entering any one of them teleports us back to the centre of the hallway. Figuring out the right order of which rooms to enter unlocks the door.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, this room matches that of the previous painting hallway, each painting with one of the Arcana. Here they are again, from left to right:

The Tower (XVI)
Death (XIII)

The Emperor (IV)
The Hanged Man (XII)
The Wheel of Fortune (X)

The World (XX)
The Chariot (VII)
The Fool (0)

So sounds easy enough, right? Just enter the rooms in the order of the Arcana's position in Tarot. Well, almost. If you know a little about Tarot, or if like me, you've played too much Persona, you might know that The Fool is a special card - it doesn't actually have a specific number, and is placed as either the first or the last card, because of its representation of malleability and chaos.

With that in mind, here's the correct order:

-The Emperor (IV)
-The Chariot (VII)
-The Wheel of Fortune (X)
-The Hanged Man (XII)
-Death (XIII)
-The Tower (XVI)
-The World (XX)
-The Fool (0)

Or in simple terms, starting from the left, the 3rd, 7th, 5th, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 6th, then the 8th door. Of course, not that a 10-year-old playing the game for the first time before the dawn of the internet is likely to figure this out. Maybe the numbering pattern, sure, but the trick with The Fool? Unlikely. Welcome to old-school jRPG puzzles, kids!

In any case, the door unlocks.

Just to mock us a bit, behind the painting puzzle is the painting of the Hanged Man (XII), symbolizing self-sacrifice for the sake of knowledge. At least we get our next stone for our troubles.

Really, the dungeon could be a lot worse - at least the game doesn't have random encounters and provides dungeon maps, so if you need to backtrack at least it'll be encounter-free.

Just left of our newest area is a machine. Of course we're going to turn it!

And the mechanism rotates. Hmm.

The Darkspot Stone is the only one we haven't used yet.

The mechanism here has turned as well.

The room also darkens.

Dark Puddings are complete non-mentions at this point.

There's a Save Point here. You might need it! This next part is pretty dumb.

Meet these guys, the Guardian statues. You might remember something similar way back in the Oddrock Caves, where if they touch you you get stunned for a while and take some damage. Here, if they touch you, they teleport you to a random room in the dungeon, and you'll have to find your way back to a teleporter and use the Darkspot Stone to get back here.

And no, there's no warning or indication of this anywhere, so it's a fun little surprise the first time you encounter them.

Just like the blocks in the Arkdain Ruins, they'll speed up if you're in their line of sight, so you'll have to be quick. In this first part, we'll have to follow behind the statue and jump over it when it turns around.

It'll then open up a room in the middle we can go through safely. If we wait too long, the room'll disappear and we'll have to leave and come back and do the Guardian dodging game again.

This next part has a Guardian as well just to the right. If we go to the right there's some treasure (a Dragon Slayer, Lightning Bolt, and a Quartz Gem), but if one doesn't want to play his game we can just duck to the left hallway to progress.

This next hallway is again kind of dumb. We've got a Guardian patrolling the length of the hallway, and we need to wait for it to sleep after patrolling enough, which it'll do after travelling back and forth about four or so times. The game intends to make us wait by having us jump over him each time, but luckily we have a trick to abuse.

If we stay on the treasure opening textbox, the Guardian will zoom by us each time, but he can't actually touch us. So we just wait til he stops appearing, then collect our treasure and move on.

Inspecting the sleeping statue gets us our final stone.

Naturally, it leads us to a save point, where we can get ready for our boss of the day.

Who could have possibly gotten to it before me?

What is this overwhelming force!? Such power is near inconceivable! Someone... or something... overcame a Guardian with this much power and stole the Orb?! But who... and how?!

Well, well.

I am under orders from Lord Odin. This human has set foot within realms never intended for his kind. Therefore...

However... make sure you do not destroy his soul. That, too, is an order from Lord Odin.

D... drat it all!

And so our boss fight is against Gandar. Like Barbarossa, if we don't kill him in two rounds he'll start casting powerful Great Magic, including Celestial Star.

The difference is that Gandar is very, very squishy.

We don't even get any experience for the fight.

---

Listen: Gandar

You have another option, though I doubt you would find Niflheim very comfortable.

D... drat you!

So what shall it be? My master wishes to use your power. It would be regrettable to surrender you to Hel, the Dark Queen.

Heh! Ha ha ha ha ha!

You drive a hard bargian, Battle-Maiden... Very well. But know you that I am very different than those other trained dogs.

Gandar is voiced by Ed Paul, also the voice of Belenus and Suo.

---

Let's talk treasure. The Dragoon Faith is the best helmet in the game and can be worn by anyone but Sorcerers. The Scroll of Golem is useless - its only use is to be transmuted for a nice 10,000 MP. The Hourglass of the Gods gives us 5 free periods - nice, but a bit too late.

There's one last thing to be done in the Palace - this chest.

There are a few ways on how to do it, but it's annoying enough - you have to shoot a crystal onto the bottom of the ledge twice, then shoot it again to explode into dust. You then have to quickly jump onto the dust using a prepared crystal on the side wall or building a stack using the treasure chests and crystal shards, then jump onto the ledge.

Luckily, the chest is trapped with a freezing gas trap rather than something infuriating like an explosion trap.

The treasure is very much worth it, however.

Dinosaur instantly polevaults Lawfer and Aelia back to among the top damage dealers, with a jaw-dropping 3000 ATK. It does lock them into one attack, but it's their best one anyway (Triple Thrust for Lawfer and Spinning Edge for Aelia). In fact, with Aelia's wonky hitboxes this is really a good thing for her.

Aelia showing off some of the potential gigantic damage. I mean, Lawfer will do more damage likely, but gigantic numbers, man.

And Jayle got an overwhelming vote up to Asgard.

Oh, we got a new Einherjar, didn't we?

Class: Sorcerer/Officer
Race: Human
Homeland: Villnore

A sorcerer in the employ of the Villnore Army. Crafty and ambitious, Gandar's path to power is lined with corpses. He's a classic villain in every sense, and his power is unrivaled. He prides himself in never having lost a battle.

Gandar is a male Sorcerer. This means that he's also the only one that can wear the Rust-Red Circlet. He's got an okay starting set of spells, including Sap Guard and Poison Blow, but he really comes too late.

Gandar Soul Crush

On the other hand, he gets a dragon for Wait Reaction, which is cool no matter what way you slice it.

Odin will reject Gandar for transfer, so here are his traits.

Now, for those who've played CotP, you might recognize him:

Gandar appeared in CotP, as a much younger self. This gives us some clues as to the timeline: given Gandar's aliveness in both games, CotP probably takes place 30-50 years prior, considering Gandar's 67 here. There are a few things that could be called into question once we know more, but it's a good estimate.

Of course, this means that someone out there in Midgard Wylfred and the rest might be alive (or at least as alive as they can get til Ragnarok). Though Gwendal and anyone older might be quite unlikely, considering their age in CotP.

That actually brings another possible identity: the King of Artolia. At the end of CotP, either Kristoff or the unseen Joshua ends up as king - this might make Jelanda their daughter or grandaughter. Give the King's dark brown hair, it's more likely to be Joshua (since Kristoff's hair was closer to light brown, though anything can change). It's not definite that Jelanda's directly related to either one - it wasn't unheard of for kings to get deposed back then.

Gandar character artwork.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

If we stay on the treasure opening textbox, the Guardian will zoom by us each time, but he can't actually touch us. So we just wait til he stops appearing, then collect our treasure and move on.

:psyboom: I... did not know this. This has always been one of the most frustrating parts of the game to me, even more than some of the precision jumping.

Gandar:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you know a little about Tarot, or if like me, you've played too much Persona, you might know that The Fool is a special card

Not gonna lie, I immediately started wishing we could have Minato as an enherjar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApplesandOranges posted:

Class: Sorcerer/Officer
Race: Human
Homeland: Villnore

A sorcerer in the employ of the Villnore Army. Crafty and ambitious, Gandar's path to power is lined with corpses. He's a classic villain in every sense, and his power is unrivaled. He prides himself in never having lost a battle.

Did...did you just recruit the VP personification of :moreevil:? Even more, did you just recruit him to not give him to someone that was already caught by the Aesir, thus making not destroying his soul/letting him fall to Niflheim entirely pointless?

Also not going to lie, I was thinking far more JoJo than Persona. I actually found it kind of hilarious that you showed Grey Bones immediatly after getting The Tower, and wondered if you were about to get attacked by DIO when you got The World.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Midgard lacks steamrollers. It is sadly a primitive land in that regard.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I like Gandar. He hates Valkyrie's guts for enslaving him, but man you can hear he's having a blast just from his incantations. Another badass grampa in the franchise, only with magic instead of fists and with a lot more :moreevil:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, gently caress this dungeon. I knew nothing about the Tarot, so I did the 8-paintings section purely through trial and error. It sucked.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Did...did you just recruit the VP personification of :moreevil:? Even more, did you just recruit him to not give him to someone that was already caught by the Aesir, thus making not destroying his soul/letting him fall to Niflheim entirely pointless?

Based on what Applesandoranges has shown of the game thus far, it's pretty safe to say that Gandar is one of the most powerful - if not the most powerful - mortal sorceror in the VP universe. Naturally excluding the ones we haven't been shown yet. Chances are, Odin just wanted him as the magical equivalent of a nuke, and sending him to Niflheim would kind of hamper that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Miacis posted:

I like Gandar. He hates Valkyrie's guts for enslaving him, but man you can hear he's having a blast just from his incantations. Another badass grampa in the franchise, only with magic instead of fists and with a lot more :moreevil:

Well he isn't evil for the pure :moreevil: heck of it.
You can guess by his personality thing in his screen: Covetous at max rank.

The man wants certain things in this world, the Dragon Gem is one of them, and will stop at nothing to remove all between him and his goal, no Nobleman, no warring Kingdom nor Valkyrie or King of all gods would deter him.
Gandar is great and has the best voice actor in this game bar the excellent Maddie Blaustein.

And yeah, he is the strongest Sorceror in the VP universe, bar for some that have meddled in some certain forbidden arts.

• Locked thread