Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Derek Barona posted:

If you watched any of the early seasons of Pokemon as a kid, this game is basically gonna be that except with with death and Norse mythology all the way through, which makes it a lot more enjoyable (at least to me) because you can sit and actively make fun of when the voice acting gets ultra-dramatic and all you can think of is Ash or Brock saying the lines.

I found it amusing when I played Valkyrie Profile that one of the characters Veronica Taylor (the voice of Ash) voices basically sounds like a feminine Ash... and her Finishing Strike sounds like she's having an orgasm. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Penakoto posted:

But you can make his inability to swim less of a problem!

I... have no idea how that works. Teaching him how to float at least? Magically made to be buoyant? Provided with floaties?

I know how to swim just well enough not to drown. Maybe it's that sort of thing? You upgrade him from 'sinks like a stone' to 'should probably rescue him at some point'?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Weren't there little cutscenes during the Sacred Phase that elaborated on what your Einherjar were doing? Or did those only happen during later chapters?

dis astranagant posted:

There are. One for his commendation and the other for his animal rescue.

Could we get these added to the LP, ApplesandOranges?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Covenant of the plume?
ApplesandOranges already did that one. I think Rabbi Raccoon is referring to the second game in the series, Silmeria.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Lesser Dragon has multiple weaknesses - Lightning, Poison and Holy. Remember the Grimrist sword we got in the first dungeon? Aside from being Lightning elemental, it has a special hidden property - if used against an enemy weak to Lightning, it takes out all its health in a single strike. I had it equipped to Jun before we fought the Dragon.
Is there any in-game way (other than using it) to find this out, or is this just a secret?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

booksnake posted:

Not necessarily. Remember, this isn't supposed to be an objective assessment, it's just Odin rating your dudes for his army: he wants loyal, unquestioning soldiers with good battle prowess. Emphasis on "unquestioning" here, he doesn't want someone who he can't convince to sign up for a suicide mission by just saying "hey there's bad guys over there".

Or as the Storm Tribe would put it, 'This way! There is chaos to fight!'

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

For a low 200 MP, the Power and Magic Bangles offer cheap and immediate power boosts. You can't equip two, but considering their cost there's no reason to outfit your party with a matching set of Bangles.
Did you mean there's no reason not to?

Ratoslov posted:

Kick Jelanda's snobby rear end to the curb. Mermaid supremacy, baby!
You, and others like you, might want to take a closer look at

ApplesandOranges posted:

So we have a few options, you guys get to pick which one.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

All that isn't really established because she's a side character and only gets so much development,
This is Valkyrie Profile's biggest flaw, in my opinion. The recruitment scenes are almost all too short and too cryptic. Heck, we've already seen one where you have to guess how they died! They really could have expanded these scenes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

And that's the story of how Lenneth scraped the bottom of the morality barrel.
To be fair, I think the wishing cactus had something to do with that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Okay, now there's our hint that there's a better ending. Now how do we figure out the requirements for that ending without a strategy guide?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Arngrim is untransferrable because he is not suitable as an einherjar;

That reminds me. I apologize if this has been answered already, but if Arngrim isn't suitable as an einherjar, why was Lenneth allowed to recruit him?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It's worth noting that 'unforgivable' is Serious Business in Japan. Valkyrie isn't telling Lucian 'that was just awful!' She's saying 'I ought to kill you for this!' Hence Lucian's reaction.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

There was a post here. It's gone now.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 9, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Hedera Helix posted:

Don't post spoilers, dork.
Whoops. Removed.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The thing that gets me about Norse mythology is the whole roadmap of the future thing. I mean, someone earlier in the thread described Odin as having looked into the future to see what would happen, only to realize that he had to act like he didn't have any of that knowledge or immediately render it useless. But... if we as mortals know anything about the future, why don't the gods know it too? Is there some weird barrier that prevents gods from attaining this information? Do you forget how Ragnarok's going to turn out when you become an einherjar?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Demonstrating the fine tactical sense that got him into Valhalla in the first place, Llewellyn has decided that the best place for the squishy archer is on the front lines, directly below the giant lizardmen and their axes. Truly, Llewellyn strives to be an example to us all.

A bad example :v:
That's pretty clearly an ambush. Llewellyn was in the back; that's just where the lizardmen came from.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Daigerus posted:

There are also the other optional instances where you bring certain characters to related places and they just step out of Lenneth.
So even if they're not physically present, they could be aware of what Lenneth's up to.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I get the impression of a female Lu Bu-as in the Dynasty Warriors version.

Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

vilkacis posted:

It's available online. The scene in question.

I get the error 'Sorry, its licensed, and not available.'

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you're finding the volume on the tracks are fluctuating a bit, I don't know what to tell you, I recorded them straight from the game.
Isn't the whole soundtrack already available online from multiple sources? I'm surprised you've gone this long without grabbing some MP3s or linking us to Youtubes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Booourns posted:

Now that you're in the gate I can show this. There's a glitch in the original JP release, where you use the throw and strike edge skills against an enemy that can guard. The result is.... this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXFvgqqc6Hk

I like how the glitch is, like, the first ten seconds of the video, and the rest of it is 'hey, might as well show off how badly we horribly maimed that fishman'.

• Locked thread