Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Never in a million years would I have suspected that Arngrim was voiced by a woman. God drat.

Derek Barona posted:

Everyone gets a story. A lot of them are genuinely interesting. 95%+ of them involve death at the end.

Welcome to Valkyrie Profile.

Prepare to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

He also wants his warriors to be Cute. Can't forget that vital character trait for when Ragnarok comes!

Arngrim: not kawaii enough for Odin-senpai to notice him.

Uguu.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best part about Llewellyn is you can't even teach him how to swim before you send him up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mazed posted:

Llewelyn isn't super-great for us to keep around, but in pure roleplaying terms he's got one thing going for him as one of Odin's own that Belenus does not: He fell in battle. However gracelessly, it counts for something, and since we as chooser of the slain are trusted to make this call, let's give him his due reward and send him to the gods.

Belenus or Jelanda might be statistically more favorable, but they'll be sent up in due time. For now, we have a well-rounded party of killers.

Hold your sleipnirs there buddy, it doesn't say he died in battle. It just says he died.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He could have died well before the battle started!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God drat look at this pimp.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rushputin posted:

Some weird trivia: Crell Monferaigne is named after the French city Clermont-Ferrand.

I guess you can't blame the translators for how it's romanized in the game either (and perhaps you wouldn't anyway), the world book also spells it Crell Monferaigne, while explaining the origin on another page.

There's another town that hasn't been visited yet that's named after a real life city in Northern Europe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you send Yumei up, maybe she can teach Llewellyn how to swim!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That Loki fellow sure seems like a real trustworthy guy!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Uh excuse me, trolls are expressly forbidden in Valhalla. Go back to Trollheim.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In my dream remake of VP, you get to fight the battles in the sacred phase.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess Odin doesn't like lesbians. And here I thought Valhalla was an equal opportunity employer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did you just slap a bunch of lipstick on Kashell before sending him up to meet the All-Father?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sientara posted:

Badrach:

Jayle:

I don't really use either of these two. Badrach is only good for getting crystals and jems, where Jayle just falls solidly in Meh territory.

Jayle stop wiping your nose like that, it's gross.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Look at the enemy. Now look at the valkyrie. Now look back at the enemy. The enemy is now diamonds."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love how Suo's portrait takes up half the loving screen when he talks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey I've seen that place before...

(Earthen Peak, Dark Souls 2)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Somehow, I expected Mystina's Hero Value to be even lower. That said...Flashy is a negative? Seriously Odin? You've got no taste, man. You gotta be flashy in battle!

A god that is against flashiness is a god that does not deserve followers.

Odin doesn't like anything that flashes. Why do you think he wears the eyepatch?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

That reminds me. I apologize if this has been answered already, but if Arngrim isn't suitable as an einherjar, why was Lenneth allowed to recruit him?

He was part of a two-for-one deal with Jelanda.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wizards: no sense of right or wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So is it a ripping tear or a crying tear?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone find it odd that the slavers in Midgard are all dressed like JC Denton?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So uh, what reason do Arngrim and Mystina have to distrust Hrist here? From their perspective, they were materialized from the aether to see someone who kind of looks like Lenneth, only that she's wearing black and she's kind of brusque in ordering them around (although it's not like Lenneth is Miss Manners either). I mean, yeah, the player knows that this isn't a good thing, but how do the einherjar know that? Why are they totally cool getting bossed around by one death goddess, but react with hostility at one who's almost exactly the same? For all they know it's just a change in management.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess the better question would be: what reason do they have to even give a poo poo about Lenneth, the cold robotic chooser of the slain who literally holds their souls and calls them out like pokemon whenever she needs something killed?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

Because she isn't cold and robotic, which is the entire point of the game so far.

I'm not sold on this, especially from the non-Lucian einherjars' perspectives - which amounts to getting punched in the dick at the Valkyrie's behest, and who knows if they even experience anything when they're not materialized.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also, for a cold robotic chooser of the slain, she sure ends up doing a lot of stuff for other peoples' love lives. Witness Yumei, Llewellyn, and Belenos.

"Yeah sure you can see your distraught, mourning loved ones for a few seconds before I shove you into the divine pokeball". To me that doesn't seem like she particularly cares about them, or that it's some big sacrifice on her part.

Sorry guys, the game just does an awful job of showing that there's any kind of bond between the einherjars and the Valkyrie beyond servitude. It's still a good game, but the writing and story are definitely not its strong suits.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah but none of those things strike me very much as "going beyond the line of duty". It's like a millionaire donating a penny to charity. I mean yeah it's generous, but only by the most basic definition of the word.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just think it's a little weird (and lazy on the part of the writers) that they immediately react with hostility upon seeing Hrist. Of course it's not implausible. It's just dumb.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Most of that just stems from the fact that Yoshitaka Amano is literally incapable of not drawing blondes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Psion posted:

His own? :v:

He's also narcissistic soooo

• Locked thread