Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No. She defaults to her first. Everyone does. They don't get the full chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Endorph posted:

For some reason I've always gotten a lot of use out of Belenus. No idea why - he's pretty generic both in plot and gameplay.

Because Extreme Void is packing some serious power in that one hit(It's one of the better damage moves in the game), and his normal moves aren't shoddy or awkward.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Also minorly useful for command. She's someone that people can follow, that can get people to do what she wants, for physical reasons if nothing else. That's useful.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

None. Jelanda's our only mage, Belenus is useful, Llewellyn can be used for a later request and there's VERY few Archers in the game as is-only two others. One's better, one's worse.

If we MUST, then probably Belenus. I'm not sure if Jelanda can meet the requirements.

...It's not outright stated, but it's fairly clear how Llewellyn died:knocked off a boat and drowned. Rotten way to go.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 25, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not entirely true. There are various accessories which you can buy which, while having no combat effect(And so are relatively cheap), are meant to counter certain bad traits and thus prevent the various potential negative events caused by them when they're running around Valhalla in 'Sacred Phase'. I don't believe the the one that counters 'can't swim' shows up for a while, though I'm running off memory.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 25, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The lady is nowhere near 'heroic'. She's a recruiter and drill-sergeant.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 26, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

19th is one of the lowest ranks, mark you.

quote:

Lenneth, about your performance...

Send us warriors brave and true.

That's Freya speak for 'well, you passed I guess.' If we had sent up Belenus instead we would likely have done much better.

She ALWAYS says this for this first one. Only later does it vary.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Not because of his strength in battle, as I eventually replaced him in my second run with dudes with more combo hits and such

The bolded is odd to me. The character deals pretty much the most hits of any PWS. So why would you switch him OUT?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Ah, Jun. King of flippy bullshit normals that keep missing and almost good finishers. Unfortunately katanas suck rear end and so does he.

I have never had Jun miss.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Soul? I possess no such thing.

Remember this line, please.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

'Weird' as in 'unearthly'. Consider 'Weird Slayer'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Except he also knows it's not meant to be beatable.

So, he's like an RPG player trying to beat the unbeatable boss battle. Complete with grinding and attrition.

He has his predestination 'guide book', he knows what he needs(Though I forget how complete his knowledge is), and he's being absolutely efficient in dealing with it. At least, so it seems.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 6, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

And this is why I'd prefer to keep Llwellyn and trade him off here. Because this guy's worth keeping.

Part of me is convinced the Sacred Phase was meant to be playable or at least viewable beyond the text. The damm things are so detailed I can practically see the interface.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Valhalla and the whole rest of the Nine Worlds.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's Janus's inherent status-on-hit that's the most valuable to my mind. Few things resist, and the status is strong because it's %-based.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Valkyrie, that's a bullshit interpretation of the wish and you know it. Proof of how little she gives a damm.

I say this because even if you send her she never meets them. If they're not there, where are they?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 11, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I say again: even if sent, she NEVER sees her parents.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

This is quite literally a holy war. You have to imagine they're pushing the 'evil' of the other side.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Periodically, after battle, instead of saying "their souls have been cleansed" or whatever, Valkyrie will randomly say "Someday I must face Brahms."

That's Freya.

quote:

I always assumed Brahms was literally unbeatable. You don't get any prizes for beating him at all?

No. The whole point of this matter is meeting him, for reasons that will be dealt with later. MUCH later, from the sounds of it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

No, I don't see why you'd skip Lezard's Tower when you've already done Brahms. Lezard at least can be said to 'complete' as a scenario regardless of ending, in that everything is resolved.

Unless I'm thinking of something other. Which wouldn't surprise me. My memory's shoddy on what unlocks when.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 24, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

How to put it...

Humans get potentially two shots in their existence(Whether that second existence is in Valhalla or Helheim is another story). Gods and other immortals don't. They're gone for good if slain, game mechanics notwithstanding(Yes, you can kill Brahms in game, but you haven't really).

There's a reason the super moves are 'Soul Kill'/'Purify Weird Soul'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Even a hug wouldn't change the issue. Their daughter died in unknown circumstance. You NEVER forget a family member who died. From what little words we got, it seems they've poured out their love for Nanami. But the spectre of Minayo was always there. It is unavoidable.

Add to this the whole 'inheritance of family power/secrets' and there's a powderkeg.

Note that they didn't WANT her to go in the first place, but didn't SAY anything. Both a case of 'they had hope' and 'they were unwilling to say she couldn't'. Hell, it seems like Nanami was being very forceful over the business.

Taking 'duty' to it's ultimate. Some would say 'way too far'. Some would say 'exactly as far as she should have'. Preservation demands she leave. Honour and her family demands she continue.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I do wonder how Minayo died in the first place.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

One asks how Nanami counts as 'cowardly'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The game doesn't fully go into it if I recall, but the world could be better than it is. But the fact is, it isn't. Freaks and monsters everywhere, hardly any civilised settlements at all(I'd say 'human' settlements, but I imagine there aren't many merman settlements either, as a for-instance). Consider why that might be.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 5, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's about this time the item that adds 'swimming' unlocks.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There seem to be a few wish fulfillment things in this world, and they all seem to work. So do the gods know about these and are compelled to obey them when they occur?

Not to obey. The items are traps in that it's the god's judgement to interpret the desire. See Yumei. Expect monkey's paw and worse.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

vilkacis posted:

I always interpreted the scene as Magnus being essentially powerless at that point and getting slaughtered. Doesn't count as much of a "good" ending either way.

nthing the "great design, good recruitment, kind of poo poo otherwise" statements on Jayle. This bit

of the mission is especially interesting. Always did like VP's characters and their history.

A reverse recruitment order patch for this game could be fun. I wonder how hard it'd be to make one.

Given about half the Enherjar have a random component to when they join, could be either very easy(Slap the same stuff on them) or very hard(That stuff's hard-coded).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

By that time you're fighting more and more big enemies, though. To say nothing of having lots of '+X on level-up' to help matters along. It wouldn't be any worse than Hard Mode.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 11, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not surprising to me. 'Talking to yourself' is something that happens a lot in voice acting. There ain't much of a talent pool in the business, as I understand it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

Plus the B and A paths have pretty different stories, so we can't really discuss the divergences that start happening around this point without going into spoilers.

There ARE no divergences, that's the thing. Nothing changes till Chapter 7 or 8, and even then, you can outright ignore it even if you've done everything else needed. The dungeon changes of Normal to Hard are more than the divergence in story.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It doesn't make sense because we ain't seen the prologue yet.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Finally! :byodood: YE MUST DESIRE RESPITE FROM THY EMPTY EXISTENCE

As much as Seraphic Law is the 'worse' skill, I adore the incantation. Plus you can't go wrong with an Ion Cannon. Then again, both of them are Lasers of Doom.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Huh. As a guy who's never played this game before, this bio seems to be giving away quite a bit.

I mean, there's obviously something going on in the Valkyrie's past, the encounter with Brahm and a lot of other small stuff makes that clear enough.

Between this, the intro, and the prologue, you have an idea of what is going on to a certain extent, though she doesn't. What you are completely uncertain of is how to act on the information or even if it fully matters. Even more weird information may be coming, if I remember right.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Glazius posted:

So... Badrach came to us on loan from Contra?

With Sphere Strike as the smart bomb? You've got something there. Picture Badrach running through these ruins, shooting up everything. He probably has a double-jump, even.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Plot reasons-of a sort. I forget whether normal mode has the dungeon that explains more. There's a reason Freya stated 'Fate is a cruel mistress' straight after getting him.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You need to go back further, to the earlier days of PSX(Late 90s/early 200X), when Internet wasn't as strong a thing, to understand. The market in terms of imported games was fairly insane in terms of pricing. You had to know where to go and the market was niche as hell.

...Once again I feel like an old man at 29.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

DmitriX posted:

Oh and I forgot to ask- why do people consider Wait reaction amazing? There is one other skill, which, if paired with holy cross/prismatic missiles allows for Great magic every other turn, and has literally no downside.

If it's the skill I'm thinking of: Burns too much health, where the game is all too willing to throw mass attacks, and in the main game certainly you don't have the resources to keep throwing out plumes and items. Also making damm sure the rest of the party is doing their damage via unblockable damage is more important, especially once you finally get the buff spells and have to deal with keeping that up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

Honestly, I don't even remember if the war report means a drat thing at all besides evaluation points and giving Freya some screentime. If you send even a few people up who know what they're doing, the Aesir pretty much ride out the entire war without any real trouble.

It actually doesn't matter at all, period. You can't get an early end from 'losing' the war, nor can you force an early end by 'winning' it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

One of the few phys fighters to have a true unblockable. Not always useful. but more often than not.

...VP is a game where you can use who you like, because often the difference in numbers, significant or not, doesn't detract from actual USE.

• Locked thread