Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overrated Sage posted:

Out of curiosity, does that weird little reverse upside down L symbol at the start of dialogue lines actually mean anything? It's kind of hard to get used to.
It's meant to be brackets. [ and ]. It's just a weird stylistic choice, like how some games have their dialogue in quotation marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

Crap. I decided to check this out a couple years ago, heard the very first line of dialogue, and said LOLNOPE. Now people are telling me it's good.
"How nostalgic?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

I don't know, I hit Escape on ePSXe completely by reflex and loaded up a different game. That first line or two was literally the worst voice acting I could remember having heard to that point and I guess my gamer self-defense instincts kicked in or something.
Seriously? The voice acting isn't great on those lines but it's alright.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The voice actings' kinda bad but at least they're putting in effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Unlike this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For some reason I've always gotten a lot of use out of Belenus. No idea why - he's pretty generic both in plot and gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Japanese line is something to the effect of 'I shall annihilate thee!!'

It's not really a 'mistranslation' though it does seem like they mixed up two similar sounding words (kizame/kizare), since the line still basically amounts to a fancy way of saying 'I'm gonna gently caress you up,' but I feel the English version is far more memorable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love Sakuraba as a composer, but I also love how the music he composes for stuff like Mario Tennis and We Love Golf sounds exactly like the music he composes for JRPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdeFRqwvaVc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I imagine they'd just cease to exist entirely?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's jsut a hanging/trailing thought. Context immediately tells you that. Like I don't know if it's a thing either but it's not hard to suss out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Her familiar is a cockatiel. I would have guessed seagull or something, but hey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glazius posted:

So basically knowing Arngrim means you'll die at the hands of some hideous monster?
Or become said hideous monster, yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

Doesn't Arngrim's brother wander off-screen and just never get seen again?

That's a pretty good fate, for someone who knew him!
He was in jail. Lawfer tried to bust him. Lawfer died in the attempt. Presumably they executed Roland then and there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, you always have Lenneth and Arngrim, and all the sorceresses are interchangeable, and frankly you could trio the game with Lenneth/Arngrim/A Sorceress, so the fourth slot doesn't really matter. There's no real way to make the game unwinnable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

It's a bit of a moot point anyway as Grey gets a shiny new einherjar body once Lenneth recruits him anyway.
Does he? Even when you recruit him, he's still just a suit of armor, you never see the inside or anything. I suppose if Jelanda isn't a horrible monster thing anymore, he presumably has his normal human body in there , but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, do the Fullmetal Alchemist RPGs count for games with living armor party members? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They both give good performances, just different ones. And Lezard's context is rather different in VP2 anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I never made it far enough into VP2 to run into Lezard. Does Liam O'Brian do his Grimoire Weiss voice from Nier, or does he do something different?
He does Dist the Rose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Because she isn't cold and robotic, which is the entire point of the game so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention gameplay/story separation: I know Lenneth summons all of them anew at the start of every fight in gameplay terms, but if you think about it, wouldn't it make more sense to keep them out all the time when you're in a possibly dangerous area, like Hrist seemed to in the flashbacks involving her? That way they can help you immediately in the case of an ambush or whatever.

That's plenty of time to interact, even if 90% of it is fighting and 'goddammit help me lift this treasure chest over to that cliff, Arngrim.' The writing here isn't perfect - they could have given you at least a couple scenes of Armgrim and Lenneth interacting, since you're guaranteed to have him - but I can still buy it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also, for a cold robotic chooser of the slain, she sure ends up doing a lot of stuff for other peoples' love lives. Witness Yumei, Llewellyn, and Belenos.
And, yeah, that. She recruited Badrach entirely out of mercy and pity - if she was a 'cold robotic chooser of the slain,' he'd have a one way ticket to hell for not being worthy.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

"Yeah sure you can see your distraught, mourning loved ones for a few seconds before I shove you into the divine pokeball".
Well, it's not like she's the one that killed them. Even that is more than what they'd normally get.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glazius posted:

So here's a question. Did Lezard ever love Valkyrie, or was he just in love with her power?
He's in love with her the same way a weird nerd is in love with the cheerleader. He loves the idea of her he's built in his head - the concept - not the actual person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Option 2, then maybe a separate video with all the mages doing all their lines?

• Locked thread