Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually like the combat system in VP2 more than in VP1, because you have so many more options and so many more fiddly little knobs to turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I will note that VP2's combat system breaks hilariously if you get a certain archer midway through. She has a skill that causes body parts to sever on critical hits*. A bit after you get her, you can get a bow that has middling attack power, but something like a 75% crit rate.

So basically she attacks the enemy, and there's a bunch of flashy lights and loud impacts, then the enemy literally falls apart :black101:

* Enemies in VP2 are made up of multiple components, and you can, in theory, target them to cut them off and farm body part-related drops (because of course you have to cut off certain body parts to get certain drops) or disable certain abilities. Additionally, some body parts, if severed, will instantly kill the enemy. Unfortunately there's no way to explicitly target body parts; you just have to position your party members and hope.

The character who comes with that skill is a light warrior and by the time you can buy that bow you can get the skill on anyone anyways.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Auto-Item isn't necessary because Angel Curios exist and are buyable. I'm not sure how you deal with some of the great-magic-wielding bosses with neither guts nor angel curios, though.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 3, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's probably not worth looking too closely into the localization. The best line in the entire script ("It shall be engraved upon your soul") is an admitted translation error. It pretty much goes down from there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

curiousCat posted:

Does she always call out for Mystina and Arngrim?

Yes, because those are the only Einherjar you're guaranteed to still have. Well, you can enter Chapter 8 without recruiting Mystina, but recruiting her is one of the requirements for the A ending.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

From what I remember of Valkyrie Profile 2, this is a pretty :psyduck: interpretation of some of the events from that game (though we've already spoiled that Hrist is in it anyway). We probably shouldn't spoil that game too much, but if/when VP2 gets an LP, let's not forget about this little exchange...

It doesn't actually contradict VP2, but the reason it doesn't contradict it is spoilery.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

No, but it's really hard to describe the point I played it to without causing spoilers of some description.

Let's leave it at "I played a couple dungeons past the point where the heroine finally developed a backbone" (e.g. her finisher no longer has her complaining about how much her hands hurt from hitting enemies with her sword). This is more than enough to cover the stuff Hrist is retroactively referring to here, unless it somehow loops back around and becomes relevant again. Which I suppose I wouldn't put past Tri-Ace :psyduck:

I suspect you misunderstood some of the key plotpoints of the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Two games later we still haven't had all of those plot threads Brahms and Lezard mention resolved. Where's our VP3: Hrist, Tri-Ace?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bloodly posted:

Level 60? That's out of hand. You end the game at about 30-40. And pulling her in from Disc 1 she comes at the level she left at. What the heck?

The video also gave her her seraphic gate weapon rather than a more reasonable endgame-quality weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

Still working on that update (it's the last one actually, I believe), but I'll see if I can get some opinions on something that'll be put in at the end: I'm putting together a video of the PWS in the game. Where I'm slightly divided on are the Great Magics: each mage has their own set of voicework for them. While I'm including timestamps in the description anyway for each character, do I:

1. Include every mage performing their lines? This is the option for those who want to experience as much of the voicework as possible, but with nine mages and each of them taking about 3-4 minutes to do all of them, it would add to the video time quite a bit.
2. Cherry pick each of the Great Magic to a mage? While there are 12 Great Magics and 9 Mages, four Great Magics are used by bosses, so theoretically I could just assign some to them. Problem would be that there would be some overlap (Wraith and Bloodbane both use Gravity Blessing, for instance), and then either a Sorcerer or a boss wouldn't be able to get in without some overlap.

Or other suggestions or something.

Just do one mage per great magic and skip wraith as incredibly forgettable. Bloodbane, Surt and the mummy guy are all much more memorable.

• Locked thread