Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sientara
May 27, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Can we talk about how Arngrim destroys the reward statue just as he receives it yet also somehow shows it to his brother later? Was he forced to glue it back together as punishment?

I don't think he destroys it, he beheads it. So it is the broken statue that he is showing his brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sientara
May 27, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

[

The first slab is just to the right, with Dragon Servants directly to its left and on top of it. To get in a strike we have to jump while on the ladder and slash in mid-air.

For these 2, I usually build crystal steps and slash from there. My twitch reflexes are bad enough I would jump into them other wise.

I usually send up Belenus in chapter one, but I do agree Llewelyn is only useful for transferring in the early chapters otherwise you just have to spend too much time leveling him to meet the Hero requirement. He has to be over level 10 for a HV 60 or above, and well there are just better and less time consuming options.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, but given that Llewellyn's Hero Value maxes out at just over 40...well, he's doing as well as we could hope. If we sent him up later, they'd just point and laugh.

Don't forget he gets +2 HV per level, so to send him up in chapter 2 he needs to be level 7 or higher. Either send him up early or not at all.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As ApplesAndOranges alluded to, you can get a poo poo-ton of experience early on by cheesing the encounters there.

Also, it is best to save before entering one. Some Caves will kill you outright in earlier chapters, and you only get one chance at them. The best loot I've gotten in a Cave is great magic capable scepters, status-preventing accessories and stat-boosting items.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

I wanted to ask if you would be alright with me posting some of the PSP save backgrounds as we meet the character in them, like Llewellen here:

I should have most of the characters saved.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

It appears I am missing Valkyrie for sure, I'll try to get her later.

Odin:

Freya:

Arngrim:

Jelanda:

Belenus:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Jun:

I find him hard to time combos with, so I usually bench him. He just gets overshadowed by most of the other swordsman.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Valkyrie:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Lawfer:

Never used him much, even though he is a good one to use, I just have a hard time giving up Arngrim's +80 to the PWS meter.

Poor Celia, she just looks so depressed. Too bad Midgard doesn't have Prozac, she needs it.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Why would you have to? Is Lenneth/Arngrim/Lawfer/[Mage] not a good party?

It is, but my fourth spot is usually rotating based on who I need to train up or want to try out. Lenneth/Arngrim/[Mage] will kill everything well, so I use the fourth slot to switch to whoever.

It could just be the main problem is I have a tendency to horde Party Exp and grind instead. :shrug:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Fun fact: To get Llewelyn to meet the hero value requirements for Chapter 3, he needs to be level 15 or higher. Which is possible if you never let him leave your party, but it is a huge pain. Thankfully it is not needed in most games.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Ash motherfucking Ketchum. "Lapis! Grant my heart's desire!" is just about the most memorable line in this entire game, mostly because of that ridiculous delivery. :allears:

That is the reason why I always name my Laprases Lapis in Pokemon. I hear the line every time I meet one.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Janus:

He usually is not in my party long, because of the archer request this chapter. Much better in battle then Llewellen, but still overshadowed by Valkyrie with a bow in battle. I usually ignore Raven Slayer, since most of the enemies it works on, are not a huge threat to the party, unlike dragon zombies.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

I saw Vidar earlier. Does he have much plot associated? He's my favorite Norse deity.

No, he just shows up in events between phases.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Yumei's combat animations are just so silly and I can't wait to see them again.

This is definitely true. She is one of my favorite mages because of that.

Yumei:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Kashell:

This makes the second friend of Celia that has been recruited. Three if Arngrim is included. I can't tell if she is really lucky to miss getting killed each time, or really unlucky to be left behind.

I don't use Kashell much in battle, but he has some amusing battle quotes.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Brahms:

I always make a treasure loop around the first floor of his castle in chapter 3 regardless of whether or not I intend to fight him. The beast slayer and other treasures are nice to have in chapter 4 dungeons.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Periodically, after battle, instead of saying "their souls have been cleansed" or whatever, Valkyrie will randomly say "Someday I must face Brahms."

I believe that is Freya that says that.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Aelia

I always end up having to reorder her attacks to combo with her properly, but she ends up either benched or in Valhalla.

It also looks like we need to up the recruited Celia friend counter again to three. And start a good alcohol for Celia fund to help her cope.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

On the other hand, if you get Nanami and consequently the Dragonsbane in chapter 2 it's a really nice power-boost. Plus I usually prefer using wands that don't have Great Magic so I can let mages in on PWS chains without worrying about breaking them, even when I end up with like a dozen Ether Scepters and never use more than one mage.

I admit that I never use the ether/element scepters in battle. They get turned into a one-time-use "I don't want to deal with this encounter" item.

Nanami is the 2nd of my three favorite mages (Yumei and one we haven't met yet), so I use her and Dragonsbane alot.

Nanami:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Badrach:

Jayle:

I don't really use either of these two. Badrach is only good for getting crystals and jems, where Jayle just falls solidly in Meh territory.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Lucian:

He's good in battle, great for getting crystals, but since he also can fill this chapter's and next chapters requirements easily, I use him for one dungeon and them send him up.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Grey:

I bench him almost immediately. Hilarious voice acting does not offset the worst PWS. I do like how his back story ties together several of the other stories.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

No no, you were doing it exactly right. "Do you look cool?" and "Is your voice good okay mostly tolerable?" are the only two questions worth asking.
This is the only correct way to choose a mage. I will not consider using one mage in particular because of the way she sounds when she gets hit.

Right now I and currently playing through trying to use more of the ones I usually bench to give them a chance. Which means that in chapter 8 I am running around with Valkyrie, Badrach, Grey and a mage, and doing quite fine. I always forget how aggravating some of those dungeons are until I get in them. I am so not good at platforming.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Shiho:

I tend to use Shiho a lot. I wish they has made some of her voice acting singing to go better with her recruitment.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Suo:

As much as I like his story and his battle quotes, he suffers from how late in the game you get him. Even then, I usually take both him and Shiho out in battle together for at least a little while.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Edge Milesworth posted:

Whatever Cult Headquarters are easy/normal too.

And the Forest of Woe and the Dragoncastle caverns, I believe.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

If we stay on the treasure opening textbox, the Guardian will zoom by us each time, but he can't actually touch us. So we just wait til he stops appearing, then collect our treasure and move on.

:psyboom: I... did not know this. This has always been one of the most frustrating parts of the game to me, even more than some of the precision jumping.

Gandar:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Lorenta:

Lezard:

Lezard spends so much time scenery chewing, and it is glorious.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Mystina:

I like using her in battle, I just wish her voice clips weren't so muted. You can barely hear her in about half of them and it is really irritating. Still, you gotta love the bunny slippers. :kimchi:

Sientara
May 27, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Evaluation is also relevant to getting Freya to fork over good loot each sacred phase. You ain't getting Gram in without keeping it maxed out.

Valkyrie's evaluation level doesn't affect the sacred phase loot, the Einherjar's evaluation does. The more people you sent up in the chapter and how well they fit the requirements Freya asks for is what determines the loot. Sending up Llewellen up in Chapter Six will get you crap loot for example.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

As a preface though, I really, really do not like the Chapter 7 Hard Mode dungeon.

Neither do I. Between the precision jumps, and other assorted dickery, it is easily my least favorite hard mode dungeon. In my current run I need to go back through it because I missed a Flame Jewel. Looking at the map, it is in a really irritating place. Not looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Lyseria:

• Locked thread