Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

As for the voice acting... it's got a bit of a 'so bad it's good' feel to it. It grows on you after a while. There are definitely some scenes where I really wish I could fast forward through them though.

This is so, so true.

Nibelung Valesti :allears:
It never failed to make me smile; then again, big numbers popping up have that effect on me.

For all the liberties they took with norse myths, they got the most important thing perfectly right: everyone and everything is an rear end in a top hat, EVERYONE. Yeah, even the little cute puppy down at the orphanage, it's secretly an hell puppy plotting to burn it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, Lenneth, Arngrim, random new guy and a mage tended to be my team til very late when you finally start seeing better characters than Arngrim.

There are better characters than Arngrim? :v:
But yeah, the party they introduce now, i.e. Lenneth and Arngrim's happy fun Midgard adventures, with a mage in the back slot and random Einherjar as filler, is a really solid setup until you have the equipment and skills to do pretty much whatever you want.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Considering that we're in the first chapter and will need to send heroes up to Valhalla anyway, it's not surprising the game gives us some chaff characters to just look at, go "Yeah, you suck", and toss more or less immediately. Characters' Hero Values don't necessarily have much to do with how good they are in actual combat, after all.

Jelanda's Hero Value goes up because she's "cute"

I'd say that HV is only weakly correlated to their ability to kick rear end. It actually makes sense, since we'll be getting Einherjars that are so-so in combat but if you check their traits you notice they're Sun-Tzu reborn or master infiltrators or have other qualities that make them far more valuable up there in Asgard rather than as muscle for Lenneth.
Arngrim is pretty much built around this concept: phenomenal asskicking powers, itty bitty hero value. Seriously, can you imagine how much he'd manage to piss off Odin if he ever got drunk after getting drunk?

Having said that, chapter 1 recruits mostly suck.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bloodly posted:

None. Jelanda's our only mage, Belenus is useful, Llewellyn can be used for a later request and there's VERY few Archers in the game as is-only two others. One's better, one's worse.

If we MUST, then probably Belenus. I'm not sure if Jelanda can meet the requirements.

...It's not outright stated, but it's fairly clear how Llewellyn died:knocked off a boat and drowned. Rotten way to go.

I'd say we must send someone upstairs, Odin is probably starting to twitch because we ganked those artifacts, we'd better placate him.

Mighty Odin, Llewellyn is almost as bad as Arngrim. I had forgotten how crap he was.
Jelanda starts at -42 and gets +14 from cute, +21 from snobbish, +10 from shallow and +42 from stout and we're already over 40.
As per Llewellyn, -82 start so we need +122. +49 serious, +28 altruistic, +24 worrier, +24 cowarldy and I think that's the requirement met.
Does current level also go into HV?

Anyway, this request is easy: "just send someone decent, we'll sort the rest".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speaking of liberal translations, I've heard that what Lenneth shouts at the start of Nibelung Valesti ("It shall be engraved upon your soul") is a bit of a mistranslation and in the original Japanese it was far less :black101:. Any truth to it?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Penakoto posted:

Badrach is a really cool character, but unfortunately he's also one of the three absolute worst characters in combat.

His sprite also apparently used to smoke a cigarette, but it was removed either entirely of from US/EU copies.

His damage is bottom of the barrel, but doesn't he have extremely good crystal and gem generation combos, or am I confusing him for some other Einherjar?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Suo's going to die next, isn't he? For being the kind of guy willing to spare someone's life? :smith:

He's a named character in a VP game, of course he's going to die.
I actually have forgotten if he's a recruitable, but there's no way Lenneth isn't recruiting him in a chapter or two.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Lezard being an amazing villain is exactly where all the hate/creepy/name calling is coming from, though.

Because he is an absolute creeper of an irredeemable bastard.

And he's great. :allears:

This whole shebang? Killing his teacher by turning her husband in a monster?
He's courting Lenneth.

He's pretty open about it too, he killed her not out of revenge or anything, but because she was someone who'd get the Valkyrie's attention, and those are pretty rare people.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:gonk:
:gonk::gonk:
:gonk::gonk::gonk:

Lezard Valeth, ladies and gentlegoons, Lezard Valeth.

Keldulas posted:

Huh, in a game with somewhat dodgy voice acting overall, Lezard's voicework is fitting. Smug, insane, fits him to a T.

I like the content here overall. Well, 'like' as in appreciate, cause this is well-done but holy poo poo reprehensible.

I think it's a sane and balanced reaction here. Dude oozes charisma and he's a great villain, but like the Joker that only underscores the insanity.

gently caress, he's not evil Harry Potter, Lezard is the Joker with an actual goal beyond watching the world burn.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. "Normal" stalkers may have a shrine with photos and such, dude has artificial living bodies, hopefully soulless, sculpted in Lenneth's image

Omobono fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cake Attack posted:

Misty (or whatever her name actually is) is pretty great. Too bad she's dead.

Really everyone fun dies in this game. It's kind of the point. The depressing point.

I look forward to Lezard joining the dead. He deserves it, at least.

You're assuming he hasn't 3 or 4 backup homunculi body stashed somewhere safe.

Gungnir and/or Mjölnir him from orbit, FAST.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

curiousCat posted:

Why would Lezard hit on anyone ranked lower than a god?

:shrug:
Practice?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bloodly posted:

False. As we've seen, the game is more than willing to throw multi-target one-hit kills even WITH proper defensive gearing. Against that kind of mindset, locking down Guts+Auto Item become less 'cheating' and more 'required'. Do you REALLY want to chance that 40%, even x4?

Then you get to the post-game, where they ramp that up to 11.

The chance of a multitarget oneshot move to wipe a full party through max level Guts is 2.56%.
Yeah, gently caress that noise, any game willing to do that deserves everything in return.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

KataraniSword posted:

Technically, it's the game's attract mode. It's what plays when you don't start the game fast enough.

I think that makes it worse than if we just started the game with a cold open of suicide.

"This is how this world work, here's a snippet from the life and death of random* village girl #2437."
*disclaimer: girl may actually be relevant to the plot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My interpretation is that Lezard killed Mystina just because he needed somebody here to catch Lenneth's soul in case he couldn't teleport in time. He really could not have cared less otherwise.

Smug level, maximum.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cold, Lenneth, cold.
I'm not disapproving, mind you.

And why did I know who would be leading the poll before I voted?
(I'm not disapproving, mind you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Isn't Fenrir vulnerable to beast-slaying weapons too?

Odin was holding onto 4 worlds destroying nukes all this time. What an upstart fellow, uh?

• Locked thread