Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Freakazoid_ posted:

Good looking trees, but the mountains still need work.

I linked the thread and the kitfox discord isn't hard to find. Meph and Mayday are pretty receptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Devlog Devlog Devlog

quote:

:frogc00l:

We've mentioned trees a few times here and showed a few foliage shadows back in April. Starting with that, this is what the lowest level of a lightly forested area looks like currently:

There are saplings and shrubs there as well - we have some specific shrub tiles now, but these species are still generic. As I mentioned before, the initial challenge was to distinguish trees from stumps, and this was accomplished with the shadow and some general liveliness. Of course, as you know if you've played the game, what lies above presents entirely new challenges!

That gif has the view going up above a tree and then back down the branching trunk, showing each of the thickness levels a basic 1x1 DF tree can present - trunk, thick branch, thin branches, and twigs/leaves. In ASCII, the thin branches use the 1/4 symbol, but here they indicate which direction their parent branch/trunk is. Thick branches can be walked upon, so they have to be reasonably wide, whereas thin branches do not support a walker, and so are much more fragile looking. On top of that, trunks can grow sideways but are not walkable, so needed to be distinguished from thick branches. This is accomplished by use of a trunk pillar in each of the trunk tiles, while the trunk tile still indicates its possible horizontal parent and children.

In ASCII, you can sometimes tell adjacent trees apart based on flowers etc. but more often it is just endless touching leaves. Here we have several leaf tiles depending on adjacency, which allowed the artists to attain the phenomenon of crown shyness. Not all species do this in real life, but in the game, it allows players to more easily distinguish which tree they are looking at, so we're using it everywhere.

We're still in various states of handling thicker trunks (highwoods can get up to 3x3!), trees without leaves, growths on trees (fruits etc.), other species of trees, and the more exotic cases of underground mushrooms and evil/good trees and so forth.

For reference, here's what they looked like at the end of last month.

Zesty posted:

Posted by Mayday about the problems they are experiencing with trees.

"Worse than Minecraft trees. We're discussing extending the trees look code-wise."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 14, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I reallt, really love the amount of thought they're putting into this. I didn't even know crown shyness was a thing, but that's fascinating and works great for distinguishing different trees ingame, too.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Imho tree stumps should be coming to a rough point, instead of a nice flat circle. After all they've been cut down with an axe, not a saw, so that would both look better and be easy to distinguish from a live tree.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Captain Invictus posted:

I reallt, really love the amount of thought they're putting into this. I didn't even know crown shyness was a thing, but that's fascinating and works great for distinguishing different trees ingame, too.

This game will never cease to amaze me in terms of how much attention to detail goes into such minor bits of it. I suspect trees could have been as bare as a telegraph pole with a clump of green at the end, and most players wouldn't have given a toss, but now I wouldn't be surprised if Toady includes the number of rings in the trunk's description so we know how old it was before it was cut down.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pharnakes posted:

Imho tree stumps should be coming to a rough point, instead of a nice flat circle. After all they've been cut down with an axe, not a saw, so that would both look better and be easy to distinguish from a live tree.

Those aren’t stumps of cut trees. They’re the base z-level of a full tree.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, I know. But they are talking about how they distinguish stumps from live tree by the shadow of leaves, which is good, but could also be emphasised by making the stumps look like they were cut with an axe rather than sliced off, plus it would be more thematic too.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

This is looking fantastic! I really hope everything goes well with the release (and the health of the devteam.)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Not sure how serious.

"BEWARE THE GIANT SPONGE" - Meph, in March

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Double posting because I don't care that you saw a slightly higher number on your bookmark page.

quote:

Mayday: Hey guys! For DF "deluxe" we're facing a problem of having roughly 1500 undead sprites to create. There's no way for us to handle all of that for the initial release, so I've devised a "placeholder" edit that shouldn't take more than a few seconds for each sprite.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 15, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hope people don't mind me posting what I find hidden in Discord and the forums about the Steam release work.

quote:

"Harpy boobs, yea or nay?" - Mayday

"oh wait, poo poo, she was supposed to have no arms"

"Going to need to rework this."

quote:

:eyepop:

quote:

"unique dead vermin sprites"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zesty posted:

Hope people don't mind me posting what I find hidden in Discord and the forums about the Steam release work.

As someone who never has enough time to read discord, much less dive in to find the real good poo poo, I deeply appreciate it. God drat its shaping up wonderfully :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah absolutely post everything you find

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Never not post!

I am hoping the multiplayer dwarf fort will like the new version of with all the pretty graphics.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

:justpost:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Following DF progress via devlogs and other stuff posted in this thread has been great since forever, please keep doing it!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I am so hype for Steam Dwarf Fortress. I haven't played in probably 5+ years and it's looking incredible.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Popete posted:

I am so hype for Steam Dwarf Fortress. I haven't played in probably 5+ years and it's looking incredible.

Ditto. I never really minded the ASCII graphics but the graphical version looks so amazing that I'm holding out for that instead of diving into the current version.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'll always have a love of ascii DF but if the premium version looks this good I can see myself losing myself in the game like it's 2006 all over again.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I've always played ASCII but I hope the extended image set support will finally bring about Dwarf Fortress Unicode Version. Do you frequently confuse goblins and gazelles because they're both 'g'? Well good news, goblins are now 𝛾 and gazelles Γ.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

unicode DF would open us up to the world of emoji wouldn't it. Toady would have a moral obligation to begin modeling and tracking the making GBS threads habits of dwarves so that the poop emoji was put to good use.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Gods. I think I heard that part of the reason Toady won't implement something like that is because dwarf fortress players are such irredeemable monsters that drowning traps would take on a horrifying new dimension.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pickled Tink posted:

Gods. I think I heard that part of the reason Toady won't implement something like that is because dwarf fortress players are such irredeemable monsters that drowning traps would take on a horrifying new dimension.
I believe it. Didn’t he get so squicked by people making mermaid bone farms that he made the value single digit?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I believe it. Didn’t he get so squicked by people making mermaid bone farms that he made the value single digit?

People did worse things than that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, but that is specifically what he changed mermaid bone value in response to.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
One of the very first things I did upon the release of the 3d version was to sap a goblin tower, killing hundreds in the collapse, and I don't think I even register on the 'dwarven war crimes' radar.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've never even seen a mermaid.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Siljmonster posted:

I've never even seen a mermaid.
Well yeah, they shut down the farms and they were pretty much gone in the wild!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I reinstalled after a few years yesterday and had a Lizardman show up who got into my fort and changed into a dwarf. What was that about? He got killed anyway, but I’m stuck with his corpse - I can’t put him into a coffin, but his body parts are not used for anything either and he still qualifies as a dead dorf so he upsets passer-bys.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like you had a werebeast, everyone who got bitten by him will turn into a lizzardman at next moon and gently caress your poo poo up, sorry.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Sounds like a werelizard. If they got into combat before changing back into a dwarf, anyone they bit likely has the werecurse and will similarly rampage periodically. If they didn't manage to get into a fight before changing back, or if everyone they fought before then died, the odds are good that no one has an infectious bite. Otherwise, the 'simple' thing to do is lock everyone who fought the werelizard in their own quarantine room(s) until a full month has passed. On the next full moon, anyone infected will turn, and you can keep them locked up indefinitely or expel them after they turn back or however you want to handle it.

Obviously all of this is predicated on you having the space and resources to devote to a quarantine burrow, as well as picking out from the fight log anyone who may have been involved; it's a lot of work, and I routinely turn curses off in world gen because it's just such a pain in the rear end. It's very unlikely to get lucky enough to beat a werecurse infection simply by having a great military, as it only takes one bite not deflected by armor before the curse spreads, so you usually end up in a war of attrition with more and more of your fort turning into rampaging lizards every full that will destroy every building and piece of furniture in sight. Looking it up on the wiki, apparently having only infected dwarves won't end your fortress when they all turn, contrary to what I thought. However, they will be miserable, destroying all of their clothing, workshops, beds, etc. once a month, and you can easily end up with everyone fighting each other until they die due either to loyalty weirdness or just because they're all depressed and enraged and starting fistfights regularly.

Werecurses kind of suck in their current form, and werebeasts are routinely a triumphant plague in any world that has them.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Easiest fix for your game would be to simply wait until next full moon, pause as soon as anyone turns and dfhack execute all infected dwarfs.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I highly recommend AGAINST expelling cursed dorfs. They will continue existing and might immigrate to your future forts. If you insist on it, at least name them urist mcWERECREATURE so you can spot them on return.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my weredwarf and vampire solution is disabling them at worldgen :)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Seems like I was lucky and he didn't infect anyone, I just have to deal with his rotten carcass.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can you tell from combat logs if anyone was bitten during a fight?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Seems like I was lucky and he didn't infect anyone, I just have to deal with his rotten carcass.

It's an ancient trick, but forbidding/unforbidding the corpse might help make it movable to a corpse stockpile, at least? If you can store it somewhere it'll rot away out of sight, you should be able to prevent ghost issues by simply creating a memorial slab, engraving it in honor of the deceased at a craftshop, and placing it somewhere. You should be able to stick it in a coffin too, though, which would be simpler.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
But he's a hostile, you can't coffin hostiles can you? Shouldn't get a ghost off him either I wouldn't think, if you really can't dump him maybe build a quick drawbridge and smash him might be the easiest.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

But he's a hostile, you can't coffin hostiles can you? Shouldn't get a ghost off him either I wouldn't think, if you really can't dump him maybe build a quick drawbridge and smash him might be the easiest.

Yeah, no ghost or anything, his corpse is chillin in a closed of room and he can’t be buried. I’ll atom smash him some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Ah, yeah, fair. Sky burial in a walled-off stockpile would still work for allowing it to decay if you really wanted, but so long as it's out of sight, it should be fine.