Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Enable
Aug 29, 2017

"Everything in your head doesn't need to be said."
On world-gen you should be ok with a "short" world history (~125 years). That will get you the goblins, were-beasts, necromancers, etc.

Very Short, at least on my world gen, had none of the necromancy/were-beasts. From my understanding of the current version those creatures are caused by world events. (A dwarf has to upset the gods).

I typically don't go past Medium world history, as it just takes forever to get to 250; let alone thousands of years.

Of course, if you just want sieges and don't actually care if it's goblins, you can declare war on any nearby settlement.

The key takeaway from the 0.47.04 entry is:

quote:

A civilization will be unable to lay siege if it can't reach your fortress site. Armies need to physically move to the location of your fortress;
they are normally allowed a 30-tile radius of interaction (towers have 10 tiles), beyond which sieges are impossible. You will never get sieges
if you embark on an island or in a valley which is completely surrounded by mountains. If you want to make sure that a certain civilization will
be capable of laying siege to you, then look at the "neighbors" view of the embark site finder when selecting your fortress site.

You'd need to go back to v0.28 if you want sieges to occur regardless of where your fort is.

edit:

Quiet Enable fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You should probably use a quote box there instead of a code box, the text is wandering right out of the table and off the screen for me.

I love the idea that Hell can be generated empty.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I wouldn't go as far as "unplayable". Plenty of antics to be had in the LP so far, and I'll probably keep playing the save in private after I hand it off. :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Quiet Enable posted:

Very Short, at least on my world gen, had none of the necromancy/were-beasts. From my understanding of the current version those creatures are caused by world events. (A dwarf has to upset the gods).

Apparently the dwarves in my world seed have been doing that like it is going out of style because I received three separate Dwarven necromancer for migrants.

Quiet Enable
Aug 29, 2017

"Everything in your head doesn't need to be said."

CuddleCryptid posted:

Apparently the dwarves in my world seed have been doing that like it is going out of style because I received three separate Dwarven necromancer for migrants.

I believe "original" Were-creatures are formed by making a Deity mad, and then biting as many people as they can.

"Original" necromancers are given an artifact slab of "Life and Death" from their deity. From there, they'll just Gutenberg the slab and pass the books/scrolls around. An intelligence creature only has to read the book/scroll once to become a Necromancer after that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I know it's probably lower priority compared to a lot of other stuff but I hope long world histories are made playable again someday. It was so cool to have world with thousands of years of history to explore. If they went long enough moss and stuff would start to grow on dark towers which was really cool. I remember I made a custom race that would build towers anywhere in the world and it was cool seeing these giant obsidian blocks with moss growing on them teetering on cliffs above deep rivers. It felt like a proper epic fantasy series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Quiet Enable posted:

I believe "original" Were-creatures are formed by making a Deity mad, and then biting as many people as they can.
Indeed. You can even become an original, new strain of were-creature in adventure mode by finding a religious statue of your god and kicking it over. There's a fifty=fifty chance you will either become a were-something or a vampire, as I remember it.

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020
as exciting as toady making hella do$h off of the steam release is and all the new features that're gonna be implemented, i have a sinking feeling going back to the classic mode is gonna feel like a lesser experience. like going back to beta versions of minecraft and it not feeling the same as playing it when it was new. itll prolly be fine

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Assuming I have a volcano, how do I use it to dispose of corpses? I'm having a serious loving problem here and being able to dump all these drat gob teeth into them would be great. I've figured out how to make a magma trench for industry, but I did it by siting my smelters at the right Z-level...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

Assuming I have a volcano, how do I use it to dispose of corpses? I'm having a serious loving problem here and being able to dump all these drat gob teeth into them would be great. I've figured out how to make a magma trench for industry, but I did it by siting my smelters at the right Z-level...

Make a garbage pit that leads to the magma?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Make a garbage pit that leads to the magma?
Can I just make a big ol' garbage dump over open air? I have no idea.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nessus posted:

Can I just make a big ol' garbage dump over open air? I have no idea.

Make a garbage dump area on the open area and a bit of the rim or whatever. Dwarves will yeet things off the ledge automatically and with preference.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Make a garbage dump area on the open area and a bit of the rim or whatever. Dwarves will yeet things off the ledge automatically and with preference.

note : make sure they will drop the garbage from 4-5 floors up, because heavy goods dumped into magma will result in a splash back of magma mist...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

and especially don't keep a stockpile of tinder and other highly flammable goods right next to the dumping zone

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah the higher the better, 10ish should be safe for even the largest corpses.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doesn't disposing into magma still result in a slow pile of magma-resistant items building up at the bottom and eventually slowing your game down and therefore atomising is preferred?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Doesn't disposing into magma still result in a slow pile of magma-resistant items building up at the bottom and eventually slowing your game down and therefore atomising is preferred?
Any magma-resistant body parts in a goblin or a troll?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

it depends; if the bottom floor is semi-molten rock then itll disintegrate completely, removing all tracking of the item (unlike with a drawbridge)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Unless it has been fixed, for all intents and purposes atomising never really did anything the help prevent slowdown.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, the game keeps tracking objects that have been atom-smashed?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Wait, the game keeps tracking objects that have been atom-smashed?

Per the wiki owned items and body parts still get some sort of "soft" tracking which is likely still going to create slowdown, but I distinctly remember there also being some other issues way back when, again it might have been changed.

Magma sea dumping might have the same issues but it also might not since it's less of an exploity method?

I think the issue was around the fact that the objects never really were counted as destroyed, just that they are basically forced to no longer exist.

I really can't find anything solid to support all of this besides the soft tracking thing which is on the wiki, just what I remember.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 21, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wow, someone really forgot to do some decent sanity checking on their garbage collection there. If an object can no longer be found anywhere in the defined game world, your game should probably just discard it already.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Dwarf Fortress, haunted by the ghosts of a thousand cat leather shoes

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cardiovorax posted:

Wow, someone really forgot to do some decent sanity checking on their garbage collection there. If an object can no longer be found anywhere in the defined game world, your game should probably just discard it already.

I think the problem there is that the game history keeps track of like, what *goose feather dildo* every goblin throughout history was beaten to death with. So what if it needs to call up that item for an engraving or something? Do you really want "Bribdignung is being beaten to death with [a dildo of indeterminate material composition]"? Well? Do you?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

All these pig tail socks will be lost like tears in the rain

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think the problem there is that the game history keeps track of like, what *goose feather dildo* every goblin throughout history was beaten to death with. So what if it needs to call up that item for an engraving or something? Do you really want "Bribdignung is being beaten to death with [a dildo of indeterminate material composition]"? Well? Do you?

Bug report: adventurers visit fort in order to steal a historically significant dildo mentioned in goblin histories, only to mistakenly set about stealing every single dildo in the world due to confusion over culled historical details

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I mean, you can atom smash an item, but you can't destroy all memory of it. Checks out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm not sure about that. I don't think it would need to keep them in active tracking for that, not of the sort that has an impact on game performance anyway. That's the sort of thing you can easily put into long-term storage without checking up on it every few ticks the way you need to with an item that is still assumed to exist within the world. Attempting to do pathfinding checks on items is what has most of the performance impact to begin with, really.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a beta you can opt into to play with the new interface?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
No

Just gotta wishlist the steam edition and wait out Toady Time!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I mean, you can atom smash an item, but you can't destroy all memory of it. Checks out.

Dwarf Fortress will remember this.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
No, it won't. The semi-molten rock will burn the item from reality itself, including people's memories.

"How can mirrors be real, if our eyes aren't real." -Jaden Urist Smith.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
For those who had missed it;

Splatterface is back for season 2!

Brought to you by Kruggsmash.

And sponsored by "Melbil's Monarch Butterfly Brains".

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0kK8AFHCcHN4hMZ21q4Gl07

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Melbil the Monarch Butterfly Man actually participates in a match!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hang on, I was looking up alcohol in dwarf fortress for a reason, and mead is bottom-tier next t sewer brew and gutter cruror? Isn't beekeeping a huge pain in the rear end which requires a bunch of manual intervention from the player?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zereth posted:

Hang on, I was looking up alcohol in dwarf fortress for a reason, and mead is bottom-tier next t sewer brew and gutter cruror? Isn't beekeeping a huge pain in the rear end which requires a bunch of manual intervention from the player?

Yeah. Balance in Dwarf Fortress is basically non-existent since Toady's still adding new subsystems and everything is provisional.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

Once you've set up a few hives and the necessary workshops, the whole production cycle is pretty much automatic as long as you don't run out of bee colonies and doesn't require any dwarf labor other than harvesting the honeycombs from your beehives twice a year and replacing the used-up colonies with new ones. Honeycomb production works equally well in any biome, season or weather and doesn't even require any actual plants to be nearby, so it's pretty much a perpetual zero-maintenance source of guaranteed food and brewing materials every six months once you get it all set up and running.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, I thought you manually had to tell them to harvest or split hives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

Oh, I thought you manually had to tell them to harvest or split hives.
Maybe you used to? The way it works right now you just have to toggle your hives as valid targets for colony placement and/or harvest and your beekeepers will automatically harvest the honey and replace empty hives as necessary by fetching more bees from any hives that are currently ready to split. You just need to make sure that you keep enough breeder hives around that don't get harvested so you don't run out of colonies, but the rest more or less takes care of itself.