Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

scamtank posted:

[tap tap tap on the microphone]

releas

sounds like this update will alleviate the depression spiral problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
does anyone have the DFArena build of the game that Jazzimus made? I want to restart the DFArena LP but i cant get it cuz my dumbass forgot my pw for the millionth loving time and idk where he is and blah blah

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Praise the miners!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

hello thread! i played this game a LOT like, 7 years ago or something, back when being in the army made your dwarfs just refuse to do anything at all.

i've been thinking about diving back in, but kinda wanted to wait for the steam release. is now as good a time as any? any tips on how to catch up on how the world works now?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hihohe posted:

sounds like this update will alleviate the depression spiral problem.

Man, I hope so.

Oh, you meant in the game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957337

it doesnt have a site yet but its here come on down downtown to down beat some asses in DF ARENA yeah hell gently caress yeah

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

scamtank posted:

[tap tap tap on the microphone]

releas

this is actually a really exciting set of patch notes for me :v:

i especially hope that fixing visitors vs. tame megabeasts also fixed the bug with your own soldiers fighting tame megabeasts, although i'm not holding my breath

Muscle Tracer posted:

hello thread! i played this game a LOT like, 7 years ago or something, back when being in the army made your dwarfs just refuse to do anything at all.

i've been thinking about diving back in, but kinda wanted to wait for the steam release. is now as good a time as any? any tips on how to catch up on how the world works now?

a whole interconnected family of really annoying bugs just got wiped out in one go, this is a great time to learn DF

my advice for learning it is take it slow. turn off invasions and enemies for the time being, keep the wiki open in another window, start with just figuring out how to keep your dwarves in food and alcohol. gradually expand into new subsystems when you're comfortable with what you've got going on already or when some crisis arrises (everyone's clothes wore out and now they're unhappy about being naked! etc.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 29, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is actually a really exciting set of patch notes for me :v:

i especially hope that fixing visitors vs. tame megabeasts also fixed the bug with your own soldiers fighting tame megabeasts, although i'm not holding my breath

a whole interconnected family of really annoying bugs just got wiped out in one go, this is a great time to learn DF

my advice for learning it is take it slow. turn off invasions and enemies for the time being, keep the wiki open in another window, start with just figuring out how to keep your dwarves in food and alcohol. gradually expand into new subsystems when you're comfortable with what you've got going on already or when some crisis arrises (everyone's clothes wore out and now they're unhappy about being naked! etc.)

great to hear, and yeah that sounds like about my speed. less of the magma-powered turing machine, and more of getting my boys and girls drunk in a hut sounds like a more reasonable experience for the time being.

first challenge: see if i can remember how to disable aquifers

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I would actually suggest not these days, they have been made far more reasonable.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Has there been any word on the proximity to the GUI release? I'm sure it's a big deal and will take a long time but boy I haven't been this excited for dorf stuff since 40d.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I don't think there's a real ETA yet. Or even a fake one.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

necrotic posted:

I don't think there's a real ETA yet. Or even a fake one.
Officially, the release date is "time is subjective".

Muscle Tracer posted:

first challenge: see if i can remember how to disable aquifers
I really don't understand the aquifer hate. I found them to be immensely useful even before their flow rate was lowered. An infinite water source, a place to stave off cave adaption and farm, and on top of all that, a place to generate ludicrous amounts of power for your mechanisms.

Oh, and they fueled my massive drowning traps too. Can't forget that.

Collapse breaching them worked incredibly well, so well I would often punch four or five different holes through for different purposes. One for the main entrance and built for wagons, one or two for farms, one for pumped water from the aquifer, one for power, and sometimes I would add even more and give alternate routes up to dwarf the defenses.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

seeing as a cool new patch is out, I've a question: is there a way of making the caverns flat? I kinda want to do a fort entirely between the caverns and the magma and use the caverns as a replacement above ground level but I get all confused with the wildly varying z-levels of the 'floor' of the cave. there a mod or a hack of something so theyre less jacked up and more of a gentle slope or perfectly flat or something?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

RUM hack posted:

seeing as a cool new patch is out, I've a question: is there a way of making the caverns flat? I kinda want to do a fort entirely between the caverns and the magma and use the caverns as a replacement above ground level but I get all confused with the wildly varying z-levels of the 'floor' of the cave. there a mod or a hack of something so theyre less jacked up and more of a gentle slope or perfectly flat or something?

You can gently caress with passage and cavern density or whatever in world gen and this tends to make them massive caverns with high ceilings, though you will still have 1-3 levels per cavern, they will be less janky though.

You could also I think adjust the amount of caverns layers which also.might have an effect.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 29, 2021

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Telsa Cola posted:

You can gently caress with passage and cavern density of whatever in world gen and this tends to make them massive caverns with high ceilings, though you will still have 1-3 levels per cavern, they will be less janky though.

You could also I think adjust the amount of caverns layers which also.might have an effect.

oh neat ive not messed with the world gen parameters too much so I'll give it a go, massive caverns with high ceilings sounds about right

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ya, keep the "openness" bracket high and crush the "passage density" to nil

that'll get you some big underdomes

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I mentioned it upthread years ago, but cavern forts are loving cool as hell. loving carving bedrooms into columns and stalactites and poo poo.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Cavern fort was the first thing I did when they were added. Looks cool as heck, but you get accosted by cavern creatures all the time (which is cool as heck). At some point you have to start terraforming and walling off the caverns to keep bats and lizards from frightening your workers to a standstill, to say nothing of megabeasts or actually dangerous fauna. Over time I had the caverns built into sections, with the safest section housing my best dwarfs and connected to the surface. The more dangerous, incomplete sections housed migrants, and served as bastions against incursions to keep my good dwarfs safe. Over time I realized my fortress had turned into a dystopian YA novel. :v:

Plus you can harvest cave wood. :cool:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Any reports on the patch? looks very promising!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RUM hack posted:

Sometimes I really miss the old 2D Dwarf Fortress map. I kind of wish it was an option, somehow.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sometimes I really miss the old 2D Dwarf Fortress map. I kind of wish it was an option, somehow.

I get the feeling you mean modern patch with a 1zlevel fort, but in case you really just want the old versions they're all available on the old versions page: https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

minchar posted:

I get the feeling you mean modern patch with a 1zlevel fort, but in case you really just want the old versions they're all available on the old versions page: https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Yeah, the former, lol. I tried going back to the ancient versions a couple times. I couldn't manage it, lol.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Hey I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but I ran into a weird crash recently where the game would just instantly CTD with no warning whatsoever. I think I finally figured out what happened: turns out every session in my gamelog.txt file ends with someone revealing the presence of one of my artifacts to a Human Crossbowman... a thief who like 5 minutes prior to that save announced their presence on the map before they were killed. I think they're trying to communicate with a dead historical figure and the game just doesn't know what the gently caress to do. Has anyone ever heard of that bug before? Is there any way to fix that?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Toss it in the dwarf fortress bug tracker Here along with a link to the uploaded save and gamelog.

Search it first to see if there is already an entry on it.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I don't suppose 47.05 works with the 47.04 starter pack?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

They didn't do that yet last I checked, so I guess that would make keeping them around somewhat more viable. I wonder if it would be possible to mod child-caste dwarves to do hauling jobs in general.

Basically this but with dwarves.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I've been playing the new lazy newb pack after a few years off and I have to say that the guildhall/temple requests are neat but it's dead easy to immediately upgrade them to fantabulous just by sticking a random artifact inside.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

promising carl posted:

I don't suppose 47.05 works with the 47.04 starter pack?

not really, no

dfhack is extremely version sensitive, dwarf therapist is extremely version sensitive. they simply won't play ball with mismatched version numbers

clinodev did post a rickety .05 hack pack that you could try

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

They didn't do that yet last I checked, so I guess that would make keeping them around somewhat more viable. I wonder if it would be possible to mod child-caste dwarves to do hauling jobs in general.

Dwarf Therapist lets you turn on labors for normally inaccessible castes, including making kids haul stuff.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Pickled Tink posted:

Toss it in the dwarf fortress bug tracker Here along with a link to the uploaded save and gamelog.

Search it first to see if there is already an entry on it.

Thanks, I'll be sure to add that in there. FWIW, I think I figured out how to fix it; turns out it was one specific agent that was causing problems, so I pulled up DFHack and nuked them. Haven't had any crashes since then.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I'm at war with the goblins living next to me, yet they have only attacked once in five years. Raiding their villages only results in me being swamped in stolen beak dogs and troll socks.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
War is hell

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I've sent 10-20 armour clad axedwarves to the neighbouring goblin town so many times, and somehow they're never discovered. At this point I have stolen so much of their laundry, my raids return with nothing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ILL Machina posted:

War is hell

speaking of which, is it possible to invade hell succesfully?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Technically yes, but the number of demons that spawn when you breach into the place is completely absurd and you likely won't survive the attempt. If you do, though, the place is ready for dwarven colonization.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Technically yes, but the number of demons that spawn when you breach into the place is completely absurd and you likely won't survive the attempt. If you do, though, the place is ready for dwarven colonization.
There are multiple ways around that from collapse traps to pulverise them as they enter a maze to abusing their breach AI to funnel them into and trap them inside a bottle. All it takes is preparation and a little knowhow. Once the surge is done they are, by all reports, just a wandering monster down there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I last attempted to play Dwarf Fortress seriously probably 10 years ago now. Maybe it's because there's so many games that have copied it or I've watched enough Kruggsmash videos but picking it back up recently it's really not that bad to get into. When I last played I remembered it being really difficult and unless you knew what you were doing you were bound to be invaded by a massive goblin horde in your first year or 2. Seems like huge invasions are scaled back now at the start.

So did the newest patch make a dent in the depression spiral problem for long running forts?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Popete posted:

So did the newest patch make a dent in the depression spiral problem for long running forts?

fixing stress issues was like the #1 focus of this update, although i haven't had time to make a long-term fort to test it yet

might do that today actually

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

fixing stress issues was like the #1 focus of this update, although i haven't had time to make a long-term fort to test it yet

might do that today actually

Do share. Dwarf fortress is endlessly fascinating but I struggle to motivate myself to do the busywork of getting everything set up before I can start doing stupid crap that'll kill half my fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In retrospect, putting the hospital right down the hallway from the tavern was a regrettable choice. Mistakes were made.