Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Spent the past few months fixing a bug that caused fish to grow fingernails. Spending the 3 day weekend adding a huge amount of fun content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

This is genuinely wonderful news

Guys, what if. .. what if DF goes . . . . mainstream?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Everything about the steam version just sounds so good!!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

seems really likely toady will make a bunch of millions of dollars and that's cool, good for him

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terrible — those new fans will enjoy the game wrong!!!!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If it gets me into more games as a Dwarf Fortress easter egg then i am all for it!!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Schwarzwald posted:

Terrible — those new fans will enjoy the game wrong!!!!

:colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

toady should add competitive multiplayer with a mmr ladder

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Now that you got me thinking about it, there must be some record for longest continuous game of dwarf fortress. How many years can you go until it bugs out? Would the record be held in a more stable version, like 40d?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I hope to god Toady develops some really esoteric cheevos.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Kenning posted:

I hope to god Toady develops some really esoteric cheevos.

There And Back
In Adventure Mode, travel on foot from one edge of the world to another. No Fast Travel.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
That's not really difficult if you know where to contract the right syndromes. In the bronzestabbed world I did an adventurer that I got vampired and then was murked when I visited the fortress, and I was basically indestructible, especially after I had raided the adamantine gear stockpile.

It is more of an incredibly loving tedious activity than difficult, so I guess it fits?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
achievement for a cat getting drunk cleaning themselves from spilled beer

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Appoda posted:

Now that you got me thinking about it, there must be some record for longest continuous game of dwarf fortress. How many years can you go until it bugs out? Would the record be held in a more stable version, like 40d?

I've played several of my fortresses for in-game decades, which I'm sure is nowhere near any kind of hard limit but is enough time to do, well, basically everything there is to do in the game. There aren't really that many fatal bugs in Dwarf Fortress except right after a huge content patch.

Just lots of stuff that slightly breaks your perfect setup and makes you lose the will to continue. :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
DF getting closer and closer to real life.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

i could see some of the gaming YouTubers picking it up. lots of content potential in the emergent narrative

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Appoda posted:

There's a guy called BlindIRL on youtube and twitch, who's been doing a fort called 'Longdeath', which he intends to run for 1000 game years.

I'm not entirely sure how far along along he is, but he's up to at least 200 episodes (which are just his Twitch streams, and weigh in at like 5-6 hours apiece), and every one of his original 7 dwarves has long since died of old age

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What do you even do in a game that long? Surely by that point there's nothing left to achieve for your dwarves.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

From what I've seen of it, the goal is 'still have any FPS by the end of 1000 years', so he's micromanaging the hell out of every dwarf and object and also keeping it relatively small.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

animist posted:

i could see some of the gaming YouTubers picking it up. lots of content potential in the emergent narrative

Oh good, can't wait to have a sweaty 40-year old dude in a backwards hat make a three-hour video with lots of speculation about ~the meta~, top 10 S-tier adventurer mode builds, and how to use the goblin sock glitch to spawn unlimited legendary adamantine weapons. :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hi there it's Josh and welcome back to Let's Game it Out

*8 hours later*

Now that I've got the eldritch lye demons trapped in this enclosure I can finally make unlimited soap

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

*8 hours later*

Now that I've got the eldritch lye demons trapped in this enclosure I can finally make unlimited soap

Not gonna lie I'd watch the whole thing to see him find ways to break stuff

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

M_Gargantua posted:

*8 hours later*

. . . Is mermaid bone still valuable for crafting

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

. . . Is mermaid bone still valuable for crafting

No, pretty sure that Toady took one look at the Mermaid murder machine and heavily reduced the value of sentient creatures' bones.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That story will always be in my memory cause of how hilarious it is that Toady went "You loving what?" and nerfed it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

05/30/2022 Toady One Aside from any bits that get added or changed, the tooltips are done. There's about 350 of them. For the end of May we decided to branch out to various matters to give the documentation brain a bit of rest. I still have to do the larger instructional texts.

What did this mean in practice? There's the difficulty stuff Zach mentioned. Lots of new settings to govern old behavior, triggers, scales, and caps. We also added settings for the irritation of underground caverns, which governs forgotten beasts, but which now also governs the underground people for their triumphant return. There's also a new irritation variable for outdoor wild areas - some additional smaller scale fun, fun for everybody. Other changes were also made deeper underground (this occupied quite a bit of the weekend.)

I did the hotkey recenter menu. It's opened with a happy little button by the minimap, with its two friends - the 'pop to surface' and 'pop to deepest discovered point' buttons. These can be very handy. We still only have the sixteen hotkeys for recentering, but you can also open the list and name/add as many hotkeyless recenter points as you want, and just click on their recenter button from the scrollable list.

We didn't have the old 'Z' overview information about different categories of created wealth anywhere, so I've put that on a tooltip when you hover on your fort name/level (outpost, etc.) which are now in the top status bar. This window will also let you know generally what you need to improve on your way up the nobility chain. We've tried to make the nobility matter a bit more by linking them to the size of incoming caravans, but we're still balancing that out. I've started tweaking item values as well. Also, as part of my fun mind-easing additions for the end of the month, I added the ability to assign any item to be a symbol for any position (as happens in worldgen), and your dwarves in noble and administrator positions will carry them around or put them on. If the item is not already a named artifact, it becomes a (non-crafted) artifact and you can give it a name (as with the soldier weapon attachment.)

Also played around with farming to shake up some patterns. Farming in the shallow soil layers far above the caverns is now no longer as viable, and farming in the cavern layers is as rich as usual. These aren't large mechanical changes, since we don't have time to do anything sweeping and potentially destabilizing, but we're testing this as one of many ways we're trying to make the caverns more engaging. One of the redacted changes also aims to entice the player to get out there and explore a bit.

Farming changes, making it more interesting? Count me in!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
These devlogs are really starting to sound like the Steam release is in sight. This year? :pray:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maugrim posted:

These devlogs are really starting to sound like the Steam release is in sight. This year? :pray:

One of them did mention possibly the fall, so here's hoping!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

nielsm posted:

Farming changes, making it more interesting? Count me in!

No mention of Nile-style farming returning though... :negative:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Honestly any Toady post including a phrase like "we don't have time" that indicates some sense of a deadline is absolutely mind-blowing.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Just fired up a new fort after god knows how long, and the second wave of immigrants included two necromancers.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

Honestly any Toady post including a phrase like "we don't have time" that indicates some sense of a deadline is absolutely mind-blowing.

Clearly Toady is besieged by a horde of goblins, or something

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Quicksilver6 posted:

Clearly Toady is besieged by a horde of goblins, or something

We hear deadlines, deadlines in the deep.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Okay, so I've been "ambushed" by some other necromancers twice now. Some fisherdwarf spots them, I get an "Intruders! Drive them away!" alert, and they just scurry away like kobolds.

e: they finally staged a full attack. they still hosed off immediately, so fighting the undead wasn't that bad

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone else notice plant gathering being broken?

I have plenty of free dwarves with the labor enabled, but the studiously avoid picking any plants, no matter how many I select for picking.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Is there something preventing them from going outside? An alert or a burrow for instance?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nosfereefer posted:

Just fired up a new fort after god knows how long, and the second wave of immigrants included two necromancers.

That reminded me of that one playthrough - I don't think it was Kruggsmash but it could have been - where this crabman necromancer kept helpfully reanimating body parts during battles. But the body parts were all hostile, despite his best efforts, so it really didn't help and they had to abandon the fortress and live in a field instead, because the fortress was full of evil hands crawling around.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

7c Nickel posted:

Is there something preventing them from going outside? An alert or a burrow for instance?

nothing of the sort. I tried starting an entirely new fort to check from a clear slate, and the same problem arose.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
have you tried setting a plant/fruit gathering zone? you don't actually have to mark individual plants to be collected that way and maybe it will work around your problem :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do you have the plant gathering labor turned on