Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been donating to them for years now and I don’t even play the game. I just really appreciate their work and wish they’d be more rewarded for it.

They definitely deserve it and then some.

Well I don't donate, I feel much the same way and plan to buy the game on Steam for myself and probably a few others. I rarely actually play DF but I have a ton of respect for them and what they're doing and I think a lot of people feel that way too.

My prediction is the Steam release will sell like crazy and they will end up with a nice chunk to hopefully live off of comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The idea that there are massive streamers who will likely pick it up is kinda mond boggling to me. I hope the steam release is as good as it seems it will be

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Now I kinda really want to get Dall-E fed the descriptions of random items in game, and cherry picking the dwarfiest ones. Like the screaming cheeses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Now I kinda really want to get Dall-E fed the descriptions of random items in game, and cherry picking the dwarfiest ones. Like the screaming cheeses.

Honestly, this is exactly how I would expect the wall carvings to look.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

yo this actually works

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I only set up a patreon to donate to DF. The only other person I stuck on there is Kruggsmash.

Did I mention I love this game/I have a problem (delete as applicable)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

I only set up a patreon to donate to DF. The only other person I stuck on there is Kruggsmash.

Did I mention I love this game/I have a problem (delete as applicable)

Yeah same except I also give a few $$ to no clip because I appreciate their videos.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sankis posted:

The idea that there are massive streamers who will likely pick it up is kinda mond boggling to me. I hope the steam release is as good as it seems it will be

not long till we see pixelly dwarven toys and backpacks in walmart branded with Dwarf Fortress

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

not long till we see pixelly dwarven toys and backpacks in walmart branded with Dwarf Fortress

why would you speak this into existence

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

You'd buy them, you know it. So would I.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BMan posted:

yo this actually works

Add some post-filters to normalize it to greyscale and pixelate it, and you could honestly make a really solid case for including it as a mod in game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Khanstant posted:

Gonna be dozens of knockoff ebooks about tarn and zach's secret third brother who died and now haunts the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if they ever got to the point where they made random df merch it had better have an intricate randomly generated description on the back of the box of each one

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Amazing! If it really comes out this year I'll be buying DF as a christmas gifts for a lot of confused people on my steam friends list.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Not exactly Dev news, but :(

Toadyone posted:

It's miserable news but some of you will want to know. On Wednesday morning, we took Scamps in to the vet after a sudden deterioration and it turned out to be widespread lymphoma. He passed away Wednesday afternoon. He was a good baby man and will be missed very much.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gently caress. I remember reading the posts when they first got Scamps and watched him grow up.

Rest in peace, Scamps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

:( Scamps

May he be interred in the finest stone tomb and be remembered always.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Carried to Valhalla by that gang of bandits :(

Toying with the idea of starting up another fort after just casually following along with the thread and podcasts for a few years. Someone (in this thread I'm sure) once said they enjoy thinking about playing DF more than actually playing DF and that's kind of where I am.

I assume just grabbing the latest LNP is still the way to go? Any new particularly good tutorial/getting started series on Youtube or is gameplay largely unchanged in the last few versions as they focus on Steam? I was really interested in the update mockup to the task manager menu, setting up minimum amounts of stuff (keep this woodpile full, always have 5 empty barrels, doors, beds etc) never quite worked right for me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is a golden ivory engraving of Scamps. It is of the utmost quality and of the highest craftsdwarfmanship

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

if they ever got to the point where they made random df merch it had better have an intricate randomly generated description on the back of the box of each one

Now I want to make the wagon and starting 7 out of legos, and maybe a small diorama for it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

toasterwarrior posted:

gently caress. I remember reading the posts when they first got Scamps and watched him grow up.

Rest in peace, Scamps.

This :( Rest well little cat, may you have all the spinny ball toys wherever you are now.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Rest in peace, Scamps.

i still remember the pic of tarn playing the guitar with kitten scamps :(

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1538910141243871233

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Oh gently caress me, I dont play much anymore but Scamps was a fixture of the DF world. It's weird that you don't think stuff like that can happen.

Is he still hidden on the bay 12 site as part of the background image?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone pass this along to Toady, please. As a memorialization to Scamps, I'd love to see him add in a chance for a cat that has adopted a dwarf to be renamed as Scamps. Give it a low chance, or possibly just limit it to one per fort at any time or something, but put it in there, please.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Let the dungeon master show up with a cat. That dude’s still a thing, right? It’s been a minute.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Threetoe posted:

Despite the carnage of the last sum of days we managed to make a lot of progress. There is now an interactive tutorial for the n00bs. We are also working on an encyclopedia of mini-tutorials to explain how to really survive. For the veterans we have created a series of tabs in the info screen that allows you to find all the zones, workshops, and stockpiles with a simple click!

We're getting there. The artists are working hard making the buildings and underground trees look beautiful. The music is coming along and sounds great. Meanwhile we've been adjusting the caravans and invasion triggers. But more importantly, we've been squashing bugs.

Here was an annoying one that could have fouled everything up forever: Once after embark, last month, the depth of the world suddenly stopped at 38 levels down. No underground layers. No underground caverns. No magma. Nothing. When this happened a second time, we knew we were in trouble. It happened only rarely, but more often on the tutorial embark.

It turned out that a few mid-level maps weren't generated with cavern layers for animation and speed purposes, but wouldn't always be cleaned and replaced with full versions. Now it is done properly. This disaster has been averted!

Thanks again to the outpouring of kindness and support over what has been a miserable week. You got us through! Congratulations to the generous!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
has he mentioned if the new graphics will be as easily editible & does that extend to the ui art? most of the ui doesn't leave much space to burn on ui decor unless its super flexible and I doubt it, but making new tile sets seems like it could be a fun project

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

ToadyOne posted:

Continuing along through what has been a summerly hot couple of days (not so hot as last year so far thankfully, and no tornado warnings either...) This may be a permanent state of affairs now as things draw closer to release, but there is action from all directions, whether that be art, or music, or graphics-tech stuff (monitor resolution tests in this case), or what have you, while the regular work I'm used to on the code side keeps right along. Artists have moved on to their next batch of updates - Carolyn's gone from interface stuff to vegetation, and Jacob's gone from items to buildings, and we should have some more screenshots soon.

From my end specifically, it's mostly been technical stuff I needed to catch up on. Textures get cleaned up now rather than sticking around and muddying up subsequent playthroughs, I did some playing around with FMOD (our sound library) to make sure I can handle everything that's incoming there, and I made some changes needed for displaying some fancy new gear assemblies. I think it'll be like this for a while, hopping between tech stuff I need to do, accessibility stuff I need to do, and bugs. The tutorial texts, init/settings page, and keyboard stuff are the highest priority things I'm working on now along with the tasks to keep other people unblocked.

These are all on a blog page at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ btw, if anyone wants to read back through them

animist
Aug 28, 2018
one of the few non social media websites i still visit

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
They got 24k in donations for June compared to 10k for a typical month. That's nuts, and kinda heartwarming.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maugrim posted:

They got 24k in donations for June compared to 10k for a typical month. That's nuts, and kinda heartwarming.

Yay good! Well deserved.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Well I guess that Kotaku article telling people to help them out made a difference. I hope the steam release sells a crazy amount.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well I guess that Kotaku article telling people to help them out made a difference. I hope the steam release sells a crazy amount.

:unsmith: One day...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Really, they deserve every penny. I've gotten way more out of this game than most full price titles.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Wolfechu posted:

Really, they deserve every penny. I've gotten way more out of this game than most full price titles.

Easily the longest game played for me by far. I don't know of any other 15+ year old games I play several times a month let alone one that has mechanics and room to get better at.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t believe this book came out 10 years ago. I used to post on the same message board as the guy who wrote it.

I think he attempted to keep the kindle version updated for a while too.

I’m half tempted to order another copy because it was a really good resource.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t believe this book came out 10 years ago. I used to post on the same message board as the guy who wrote it.

I think he attempted to keep the kindle version updated for a while too.

I’m half tempted to order another copy because it was a really good resource.

Ha! I purchased the digital version like a decade ago as well. It mostly holds up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I bought that just because the idea that someone wrote a book on dwarf fortress was so absurd that I felt like I had to, even though I already knew how to play.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I bought the paper copy of that, it's surprising how much of it is still relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does it have any personal touches, or is it just the wiki before the wiki?