Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

scamtank posted:

It's always two months in the making. We're on another pass of tying loose ends up, so I can pretty confidently say that something will happen before Christmas 2015.

Given all of the stuff Toady has been doing in the new release it's not a big surprise if it ends up coming out next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
From a technical standpoint are any of the underlying procedural generation systems (world generation, civs/history, forgotten beasts, etc) particularly interesting from a programmer's standpoint?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Selklubber posted:

I know, it was just an example of a bug he fixed in a day, when it's been existing for at least two years.

As someone who works in an agile dev environment on the "I file bugs, why aren't they fixed in a timely fashion" side for Real Money, I can probably tell you that most bugs are treated equal despite prioritization, even seemingly simple bugs. It's an arcane process 100% at the arbitration of powerful forces beyond mortal ken.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It is terrifying.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there a way to make hunters use other weapons like spears? I never thought about it before, but it would be nice if you could have a hunter be a spear chucker.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Did it get confirmd or talked about at any point if the actual music that is being made by the agents in the game, be they dwarven or otherwise, will have any actual notation for playback? Considering we have footprints, I wouldn't be surprised if you get procedurally generated MIDI exports of the songs of your people.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It makes it easy to spot which tiles are not smooth, also. Varied ground tiles is only for unfinished/rough areas.

That said, I also play with all engravings on. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Angry Diplomat posted:

I had a raging drunk craftsdwarf get ambushed by a cave crocodile and just deke around it like Muhammad Ali for a while, before finally getting fed up and hitting it with such a massive haymaker that every single one of its teeth scattered across the floor in a giant mess. He then pursued the panicked, fleeing croc and beat it into unconsciousness until some other drunken dorfs happened by and piled on to help stomp it to death.

That same craftsdwarf lost his wife to drowning (another cave croc attacked her and she fell into the river) and later joined the militia to attack a forgotten beast that resembled a great, three-tailed scorpion with glowing violet eyes. He courageously brawled with the scorpion without taking a scratch, but after it bit the dust I couldn't find anything in the combat log to indicate how it had died, and none of my dorfs or their pets had it listed in their kills. Later on, I noticed I'd forgotten to erect the memorial slab I had engraved for his wife; when I did so, I got a message about her ghost being laid to rest. Did this guy's dead wife get pissed and haunt a motherfucking forgotten beast to death because it attacked her husband? :stare:

Let's go with "yes"