Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Header graphic thief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mr. why posted:

Is there any disadvantage to disabling aquifers besides not getting to build awesome water-powered machines? I'd like to generate a world where I have more than a dozen viable (and reasonable safe) embark locations. Can I use rivers/streams for said machines?

Yes, you can use lakes, rivers, or cavern water for machines. Your dudes can even fill a custom built cistern using buckets for your impossible free energy machine. It's not hard, it is just slightly easier with an aquifer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leperflesh posted:

So... while Toady could probably publish his code (which he will never do), I'm extremely doubtful that there's any kind of reference other than the code itself he would have available that would comprehensively explain the algorithms of DF interactions, particularly in combat.

It'll be great when Toady dies of natural causes in 32 years and the source code is released. 40 years of dwarf spaghetti code for spergs to pore over and try to decode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makaris posted:

^^^^^ Hello paralysis-breathing forgotten beast. :emo:

So my fortress is going really well, and I want to have my populace start equipping leather just because. How do I get my civilians to prefer leather gear, if there is any way? Or should I just only build leather gear and just wait for the old cloth stuff to rot?

I guess you could Forbid all cloth gear from the stocks menu? That should get them to drop it (everywhere) and go looking for new stuff. If you do you should do it one item at a time though, like all the cloth pants and then wait for them to pick up leather pants, then all the cloth shirts, and so on. Dwarfs go psycho when they are naked.

Alternately you could draft everyone into squads and have them put on a leather armor uniform. That is a bit better than just leather clothes, because they can wear leather boots instead of leather shoes. On the downside since they are technically soldiers they won't run away from danger.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm glad it means there will be more reason to break open the caverns. I added all these creatures to it and never get to see half of them because I have no business keeping the caverns open most of the time. Tried adding some trees made out of metal to solve that problem but I don't think I ever got them working properly.

Could you chop down the metal trees with a wooden axe?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makaris posted:

Yeah I have no idea. Every other cavern I've ever breached had all the usual mushroom trees and fungus floors. This one's just regular stone, and it's muddy. No clue. I'll keep searching but it'd be neat if there was a utility that just told the game 'yeah you found fungus' so that'd it'd start generating on it's own.

I've heard that can happen if you reclaim. Did you reclaim? Or does the reclaim bug make the mud disappear too? So many bugs to keep track of.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You need one cat for vermin control.

ONE. More just breed and are a menace. Nothing quite like having a tantrum spiral because 12 pet cats died in a siege.

Cats are excellent at tripping ambushes. Dogs don't wander. Nothing except cats will randomly wander the map tripping ambushes.

Random wandering also makes cats the best fire-and-forget cave probers. With dogs and things you have to keep setting meeting areas to get them to move around, but cats will just go chase bugs on their own.

If you are worried about tantrum spirals don't kill the cats, kill the dwarfs who love cats.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elth posted:

How is genocide less mean than incarceration? :psydwarf:

The dead don't suffer. Become a super-villain and create a weapon to force the sun to go supernova and you'll be the greatest humanitarian who ever lived.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leal posted:

Its worked for me, I'm sure there is a rare chance it can fail cause I think what happens is that it makes a smoke cloud that carries a syndrome that changes the skeleton, and sometimes the syndrome doesn't take effect?

Also drat skeletons always partying, even inviting guests without getting the OK first

:mad:

Why do you hate fun?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deki posted:

Is there a way to mod/dfhack water wheels to work with magma? Because I've got a proof of concept megaproject weapon that I just finished, and I want to upgrade from water to magma.

Nether-cap wood is magma safe. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Nether-cap

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I cannot stress enough to build landings in your giant stairwells. Landings are the difference between your dwarves falling and breaking their legs, and falling down to the bottom and exploding in a spray of blood.
:psydwarf:
I don't know why dwarves fall down stairs like they were empty air, but they do.

Also, I second the ridiculous 3x3 stairwell/stairwells. Your dwarves and war animals will fly between the Z-levels.

Covering your stairwells with hatches every few levels is useful too. If they fall, they'll only fall until they hit a hatch. If something far below goes wrong, you can always lock the hatches. Hatches are good stuff.

I do prefer landings though.

code:
> <
> <
> <

And then the next level down goes:

< >
< >
< >
It is more work, but in the landing space you can put doors or traps to inconvenience baddies using your stairwells.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

There are still a few of those left potentially. Also cleaned up an issue causing residents to wander far away from their houses or into rooms they didn't intend to be in.

To be fair, this happens all the time in RL. "Why am I in the kitchen? I must have wanted something. I can't remember."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Diogines posted:

I have a rough idea for a challenge but I need to flesh out the actual rules and I would like your input. The idea, essentially, is that the game is Paying the Iron Price. No harvesting fresh materials of any sort. Everything comes from slain creatures. Merchants can be traded with.

I feel like I could flesh this out a bit more.

You can make poor armor from bone and leather, but I don't think dwarfs can make weapons without metal. Once you are a bit established there is plenty of goblinite, but punching the first few kobolds to death to get a knife could be a problem. No weapons means no hunting. That leaves you with . . . fishing? You can make a few armor items from turtle shell, crafts too.

If you're going to have a huge corpse processing area, then it's probably best not to embark on in an evil biome or near any necromancer towers. :zombie:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hailthefish posted:

Build an underground fort and excavate it! :v:

:aaa: You are a genius.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

:golfclap:

I was way psyched the first time one of my civilizations was attacked by a dragon. Then I was sad she got caught in a cage trap. My militia massed and murdered her. Then we made dragon soap.

Wouldn't mind a few more dragons...

I caught and tamed a dragon once. Then I chained it out front as the best watch dog ever. It worked pretty well, except when a kobold or something showed up, it started a huge grassfire that burned everything on this side of the river. Grassfires are FPS death.

Could have been worse though. At least it wasn't guarding the booze stockpile.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kayle7 posted:

Bolts can't be restacked into bundles of 25 anyway.

They can't be restacked, but they can be shoved into a quiver together. Archers can fill their quivers with partial stacks and individual bolts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danny Glands posted:

I think after Bronzestabbed ends, I'm gonna do a vanilla DF LP that's not going to be a succession, since I kinda had a problem getting new overseers into my last succession RP.

Multiple LPs for the same game are fine, especially for games without a firm plot. I think there are 3 "active" Sims LPs right now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I opt for the 3x2 bedroom for undistinguished dwarves. I have not gotten around to fitting a table and chair in each as my plan calls for, but there is space.

Table and chair is a bad idea. If a dwarf owns a chair he'll sit in it to eat his meals instead of the lavish public dining hall. I usually give them a chest/coffer and a cabinet. The'll occasionally admire the furniture, it makes the room nicer. And they'll store their old clothes in the cabinet rather than leaving them littering the halls.

They used to keep coins in bedroom coffer/chests, I think the only thing that can go in them now are owned meals. If a military dwarf claims a food item and stores it in his backpack and then for some reason stops wearing the backpack, the meal will fall out of the backpack onto the floor. Nobody will put it in a stockpile because it is an owned item, so it just sits there and rots. If the owner also owns a chest he will eventually collect the meal and put it in a chest. I'm pretty sure it still rots, but at least it only stinks up his own bedroom. Of course the more sensible solution is just to not allow military dwarfs to carry food.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In my experience only cheese things rot in coffers. And I don't deal in cheese because of how frequently it spoils and makes possible for any food containing it to spoil quickly.

Hmm, that could have been the problem. I deal in a lot of cheese. Come on, you can order milk for 1 dwarfbux, and with a single easy reaction it becomes worth 5! Roast it into a high quality meal and you're buying out caravans with leftovers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Met posted:

It won't appear as a road on the map, nor would it be perfect because you can't build on the map edge, so there will be a blank couple tiles along the road every map site distance.

It sounds amazingly :spergin: to have wanted to do that at all considering the size of the world and how long dwarves take to actually build poo poo.

No don't!

The very moment we are able to send out road crews to build roads outside our settlement, Toady will code it so that wagons require roads to travel. It will be some 12 year quest to build roads out of the mountains and all the way to the nearest human town to get proper wagon trains to visit. The worst megaproject.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zurai posted:

That kind of happened when it switched from 2D to 3D. I know I was still playing 2D for like half a year after the 3D version was released, and that was before DFHack and all.

2D had some nice first year pacing, I still miss it. Dig out the preliminary dining room, barracks and storage before your dwarfs start to fall asleep for the first time. Get your food and other items stored behind a door before thieving wildlife comes along come along and starts stealing all your poo poo. Get to the river and get your farms dug out before the spring flood. Build a road to the far side of the map before the second summer so you don't miss the wagons. Fortify around the underground river and the cavern (once you reach it) to keep frogmen, antmen, snakemen, etc. from appearing in the middle of your town.

There is still lots to do, but somehow the first year seems a lot less frantic now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

On a related note, has anyone had luck creating a "Danger Room" to train militia dwarves and of course, train a bunch of doctors? I tried making one with weapon traps the other night. I was too tired to realize there was no means of getting the dwarves to activate the traps and then attempt to flee from them.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Danger_room

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This happened in the barracks where military dwarfs are training.

I think they are trying to spar with their dogs. :3:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reading posted:

How long does it take for a beekeeper dwarf to put some drat bees into my dang hives? They've been sitting there outside for a year! And several dwarves have beekeeping. I just have to wait for a wild hive to spawn, then they'll automatically grab it?

Also, how do I use nest boxes and pastures? Always put nest boxes inside pastures? Are nest boxes necessary to get my meal-birds breeding?

Not sure how long it takes, the right kind of bees have to spawn. I haven't done it in a while because honey production is dumb. The hives need to be outside above ground, are your hives outside?

Make sure you have exactly one (1) beekeeper though. Unless it has been fixed, all beekeepers will go after the same beejob and then they all stand there being dumb until they are exhausted and hungry. One beekeeper can easily manage 30 hives, it isn't an intensive job.

Why is honey production dumb? You need jugs, which will each be filled with a single unit of Royal Jelly or honey, and the cook hates usinging royal jelly (unless fixed now?) so you wind up with a stockpile full of royal jelly jugs and you constantly need to make more jugs in order to keep processing honey. You also get a wax honeycomb, which you have to process at a screw press, resulting in a single unit of honey and single glob of wax. A single unit of honey can be made into a single unit of mead, which is no more valuable or desirable than the cheapest of drinks. You now have an almost worthless glob of wax worth 1 dwarfbuck (the same as the cheapest stone), if you have a wax worker you can craft it into an almost worthless craft to sell. If mead was valuable it might be worth it, but it is one of the very cheapest drinks. If wax could be made into unique crafts like valuable candles or something that would be great, but you just get dumb worthless wax figurines. If Royal Jelly had medicinal properties or was valuable that could be good, but it is simply one of the cheapest meal ingredients and since it is in single units it leads to tiny stacks of meals when the cooks use it. The system is kind of cool, but the end products are all worthless.

On the other hand, egg production is fantastic. I like turkeys the best. They lay 10-14 eggs at a go, and can be butchered for 9 meat. You can build your nest boxes anywhere, as soon as eggs are laid someone will snatch them and put them in a food stockpile. Eggs won't be eaten raw, they need to be cooked, so it is helpful if you have a small stockpile that accepts eggs right next to the kitchen, and disallow eggs from more distant food stockpiles.

If you actually want to breed birds it is a bit more complicated and kind of pointless. The easiest way is to carve out a room with a door, make the room a pasture, and pasture the birds you want to breed inside. You'll need 1 nest box for each female. You need at least one male to get fertile eggs. Once your breeding stock is inside the room, lock the door or dwarfs will keep stealing the eggs. Now wait and wait and wait some more. They hatched, yay! Okay, unlock the door. Now build a cage and lock all the baby birds inside, because they are useless for like a year and will just tank your frame rate. When they finally grow up you can slaughter all the useless males for meat (you could kill them as babies, but since you don't need to feed them there is no harm in leaving them in a cage until they grow more meat). I've never actually timed it, but from when you lock away your breeders until you finally get more mature egg layers seems to take years. You are honestly much better off just buying new females whenever you want them, as both human and dwarven caravans bring them often.

Basically the only reason to breed your own is if you have acquired something rare and exotic. If you have a pair of tame cave crocodiles it is well worth the trouble to breed them. Chickens, not so much.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

All you have to do to breed birds is forbid eggs from food stockpiles.

Yes, but if you want to have a couple birds breed more birds, while some other birds produce a steady supply of eggs to feed your dwarfs, then the locked "chicken coop" works better. It is also less prone to failure, like when you lay down a new stockpile and momentarily forget to forbid eggs so your dwarfs go snatch all the eggs and you have to start over.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Moon Monster posted:

You can farm surface plants, but which ones you'll be able to farm depends on your biome while you'll always be able to farm all underground plants.

You can look up what grows where in the wiki, but the easiest way to find out what will grow is to designate a big section to gather plants. Brew what you collect, and you'll have seeds ready to grow in that biome.

Underground farms are safer and easier though. Well, they used to be safer. Now that mushrooms can poke holes in the ceiling digging out soil layer at all seems pretty dangerous. :psydwarf:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dragon_pamcake posted:

Try genning a world. It's not exactly Where's Waldo.

I've genned this world 10 times and I've never seen any elves. :iit:

This afternoon I've done a dozen or so different small worlds. No goblins in any of them. :iiam:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In the [O]rders menu you can turn off auto collect webs. Then they won't try to collect any webs unless you specifically tell them to, but other loom functions proceed normally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Awesome. Thank you. Now to deal with "Urist McDwarf cancels Store item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible..."

If it is just one guy, first make sure that he isn't stuck somewhere. Sometimes a dwarf will wall himself in, drop a statue on his foot, or pass through a narrow hall just as mushroom trees sprout up to block both ends.

If it is just one item, you can forbid that item and be done with it. Usually you can't find the item though.

If you can't find the item and you really, really want the spam to stop you can use the nuclear option. If you've dug too deep this will be tiresome. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Forbid

Go to the top level of the sky, upper right corner and then hit [d] [b] [f] and then move your cursor to the lower left corner, and all the way down to the lowest level you have revealed at all. This will forbid absolutely everything on the map.

Then use [d] [b] [c] and mass reclaim all the areas that you are using and that you know don't have any objects on unreachable tiles. This can be a bit fiddly in places. Now unpause, and if you've successfully forbidden the troublesome items the spam should stop.

If the spam continues, feel free to shriek and bash your head against your desk a few times. At least you have seriously narrowed down the area where the could be so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a reason why milling plants creates a 1:1 product ratio but brewing / processing creates a 5:1? It makes using sugar/wheat very unappealing.

Everything is a placeholder right now, so some things don't make sense.

The advantage to sugar is that it is extremely valuable, and it counts as a solid for cooking. (All meals require at least one solid ingredient.) A unit of sweet pod become 5 units of booze with a total value of 10, or one unit of sugar with a total value of 20. So a stack of meals made with sugar will be smaller but more valuable, so if you are using meals as a trade good milling sugar is a good deal.

Syrup has the same value as sugar and the X5 multiplier of booze, unfortunately syrup is bugged and cooks won't use it unless some arcane conditions are met. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarven_syrup

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

code:
related to 	0004763	new	 	Nobles with multiple bedrooms gain unhappy though from sleeping in inferior one
Nobles are such assholes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grey Hunter posted:

Yet they still manage to go on centuries long killing sprees. I have to wonder what the Dwarves were doing until you take command.

They were busy being terrified. In this release I've had recruits become terrified and run away while beating on an unconscious camel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

moller posted:

Dromedary or bactrian?

Dromedary.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Catts posted:

If a dwarf is assigned to wear helmets (as an example) and currently are wearing a =steel helm=, when a *steel helm* becomes available they'll toss off the lower quality helm for the better one. So if you have armorers pumping out armor for instance, dwarves assigned to wear that armor will immediately shed what they're wearing and race to pick up and equip the higher quality piece.

Aside from this, I don't know what it could be.

What do they do if there is a -Steel helm-, a +Bronze helm+ and a *Copper helm*?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The human caravan just got so scared that their wagons exploded. :stare: Or their wagons exploded which caused everyone to get scared?

I built an L-shaped fence around the outdoor refuse pile so wagons couldn't pass to close, but one of the guys with just a donkey decided to take a shortcut through the 1-tile wide pedestrian pass through. About the time he gets eye level with the edge of the refuse heap the entire caravan and all my civilians in the area start throwing blue !!!!s. WTF? It's not that scary. Okay, over a ways off my soldiers have just engaged a minotaur, but I don't think the merchants can even see them. What is so . . . the wagons are gone. Just gone. Stacks of wagon wood surrounded by confused and terrified merchants. What? Why? How?

:stare:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

I want to be able to put goblin heads on pikes and have goblins get scared away.

It hardly seems necessary. A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived! The first goblin starts beating up a pig, the rest of them freak out and run away, breaking the siege state.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my dad posted:

The morale bug is something he's working on. Making morale work well isn't exactly an easy task, particularly when you consider everything a creature AI needs to take into account. It's a small wonder that it works at all, as is. He's been tweaking it since the new version was released, so hopefully it will be goon enough soon enough.

I'm not entirely sure that the current state is worse than before. It used to be you could have a huge field of fetid corpses and corpse parts. Dead monsters, goblins, humans, elves, and even dwarven visitors piled high and rotting in the sun. Rats, flies, and maggots everywhere.

Nobody blinks. Nobody minds. Nobody even mentions it unless poorly placed bodies start generating miasma. Residents willingly wade through the field of putrid flesh to add another corpse to the far side of the refuse stockpile. Immigrants walk past without a word, only commenting on how nice your front door is. Merchants happily stroll past, even if the front of the heap contains the rotting corpses of last year's merchant expedition, "Oh, so that's what happened to Steve's group, I wondered what happened to that guy. Oh well, never liked him anyway."

The implications of that are really hosed up.

The main change I'd like to see is for everyone to become hardened faster. So within a few months the refuse haulers in your fort aren't bothered by walking past that human-that-used-to-be-a-weretortise skeleton, but newcomers still think it is hosed up to leave that thing lying next to the front gate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zomborgon posted:

Invaders do need to have their initial hardening state increased; I really don't think that any sane nation sends in a greenhorn raiding party.

The first couple "invasions" by one or two squads could literally be some racist goblin teenagers out for a lark. The first sight of blood or danger and most of them freak out and gently caress off. But yeah, once the real organized armies start showing up with Elite soldiers, generals, and cavalry they should have enough discipline to get into real fights.

A bit of lingering moods would be good too. A dwarf can be overcome by horror or go into emotional shock, but there is nothing in the thoughts to indicate what they are so upset about. I used the dump trick to get a dead dwarf out of a cage, and then forgot about it until everyone walking past the dump tile started freaking out. Oh right, that guy, I need to unforbid his corpse so they will bury him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Speaking of dwarfs in cages, I've noticed dwarfs actually bringing water to dwarfs in cages. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

I've had a dwarf simultaneously unconscious and in a state of mortal fear

Dwarven nightmares are the worst.