Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sorry, you guys probably get that question all the time, but what's currently the best modpack to use if I want to have access to the new 0.47 features? I checked the OP, but it hasn't been updated since like 2018. I'm fine with something basic, I just want the essentials and a decent tileset that lets me actually see things. My eyes aren't getting any better and I can't really read tiny ASCII anymore the way I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pigbuster posted:

How was the drunk cat issue changed? Because it's not... exactly a bug, it's more like an accidentally accurate representation of why you shouldn't let cats wander around a beer hall filled with rowdy drunkards.
The effect from ingesting substances covering body parts was reduced. The game treated it as if the cat was drinking a full mug's worth of booze every single time, which effectively made them drink their own body weight in alcohol multiple times over every time they cleaned themselves.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Peraxis one, or whatever it was called? Alright, thanks, I'll check that out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Elephant People are hilariously lethal. I just wrestled a zombie and pinched its teeth. Literally every single one of them flew off into the distance in a giant arc of shattered dentes. Did the same with the rest of the limbs. Now I'm gonna strangle it for infinite wrestling.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

lmao why did you pinch it's teeth in the first place though?
To see if I could. Also, I wanted to avoid it biting me once I start with the strangle training.

And then its head popped off. I think I need something bigger to strangle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sadly, I do not think whales have any necks for me to strangle.

In different news, the stealth system has really gotten much better since I last played adventurer mode. I was able to sneak up on a dwarf in a fortress and choke him out from behind. Then I threw his body off the wall with a nice wrestling throw. Nobody saw me do it, so my relationship with the rest of the population was not harmed at all. Just walked back down and was all 'sooo, it rain bodies here often?' Very smooth.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

feelix posted:

I think being at peace with Kobolds is inherently a bug since Kobolds aren't supposed to be able to communicate with anyone because of their unique language
That kruggsmash guy has a series of videos where they actually integrated into a human civ and just kind of live and work with them, so while it's super-rare, I don't think it's supposed to be a bug.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

i wish it was my job to come up with the art for what a plump helmet man scholar looks like
The most educated of mushrooms.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I downloaded it two days ago and it was up to 47.04. Adventure mode crashes due to the graphics mode, though, so if you want to play that, you need to change away from TGTM or whatever it's called.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Now that there are functional mounts in the game, someone needs to mod in all sorts of giant climbing-capable riding spiders, because spiders are cool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seems legit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just butchered a small village to get free zombie workers to build my new Kingdom of Elephantine Terror for me. How do I deal with it when I have too many Zombies to tell them all to stay behind with the Shift-o menu? Over half of them just won't listen, because I've got way more than 26 at this point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Materials are affected by temperatures, so if you get hot enough, eventually your skin will melt. There's no other known effect to it so far as I know, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

for a while the dungeon master gave you the ability to tame exotic beasts

also would do some weaponsmithing

and wore hundreds of cloaks and nothing else

second best noble after the philosopher
I imagine he looked kind of like Cousin It, but slightly less hairy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, yes, of course it was a bug. I'm still not sure how something like that even happened.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

But the nudism wasn't a bug?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

The "dungeon master" is a dude wearing just a mask and a cloak and nothing else, what do you think is going on here

like, the noble was specifically coded to wear that and only that
Toady doesn't strike me as the sort to do creepy BDSM exhibitionist jokes just for the hell of it, so yeah, I was wondering.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Makes sense. Together with what Shady Amish Terror said about the coverage of cloaks, I can see how you get the Dread Lord No-Pants out of that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Solvency posted:

She discovered both metaphysics (processes), and epistemology (justification), in the field of philosophy.
I love how that adds up to her discovering the idea of philosophical nonsense and then quickly following that with the necessary rhetorical discipline for talking people into believing it makes sense anyway. :allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Meanwhile, around 5-10% of the fortress can feed the rest of the fortress no problem using just a handful of spores and a small cave with some dirt on the floor.
Which is actually not that far removed from modern agricultural practices, in terms of scale. Every modern farmer is capable of feeding about 200-300 people for every person working production while historically, it used to be more like 1.25 people fed for every person working food production. It's massively more than a medieval society really should be able to produce, but it's not impossibly more considering the kind of engineering marvels dwarved can pull out of their asses.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If I can't fill a room with petty change and drown goblin invaders in it through the use of an elaborate system of remote-controlled trap doors, don't even bother.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Burrows are honestly horribly underused by most players. They fix so many things that used to drive people to distraction, but hardly anyone ever bothers to set them up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is it? I avoid using animals whenever reasonably possible, because they're just such a loving FPS sink. I guess I can't comment on that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds lovely, thanks for the warning. One thing I know to never set up, then, unless I'm making a point of not using animals.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, do you have any idea how heavy those ledgers are?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dwarf Fortress basically still runs on a single core and GPU doesn't matter at all, so what you want is a CPU with the most powerful individual cores you can get. There is no CPU in the world powerful enough to run a 400-entity fortress at anything approaching a smooth framerate.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would recommend reading up on older CPU models that deal well with overclocking in that case, instead of going right for the newest octa-core available or whatever will be on the market by that time. Certain types of CPUs have an unusually high tolerance for increasing their clock speed. I can kick my old 2500k up to 4.2 GHz per core without losing stability when it usually runs on just 3.3 GHz, and a 25% in performance is really nothing to sneeze at. Not every CPU can handle that, though, for reasons that range from being unable to handle the increased voltage without becoming unstable to trying their best to melt from the increased heat production, so doing your research first is key for that kind of thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Raise Intelligent Undead is a basic skill that every necromancer gets in addition to the standard Raise Dead now. It's actually not the same thing as necromancer experiments, those are basically treated as a species of their own during worldgen. Intelligent undead are pretty much just a template like regular zombies that applies most of the other effects of undeath without changing loyalties or making the creature mindless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If there was any kind of way to actually force necromancer to use that specific ability on corpses, you could pretty much do that right now. You can already get world-genned intelligent undead raised with that ability as travellers who can join your fort on a permanent basis.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's pretty fun to play around with in adventure mode. The only real limitation on it is that if a character was already your enemy before they died, they don't suddenly become friendly just because you raised them. Want to resurrect a companion who was killed in the line of being a meatshield, though? That, you can do just fine. It even gives them some neat magical abilities based on what kind of necromancer secret they were generated from.

I've had some fun trying to mod in an on-touch "zombie plague" ability that spreads on bite. Try doing that in a large city and things get hectic fast. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Good food and drinks generate some happy thoughts, I dunno if intelligent undead want to eat or not, but if not they lose out on those happy thoughts. Lycanthropes don't need to eat and drink, but they will grumble about being sober.
Intelligent undead kinda stop caring about everything, which makes them very strable, but also kinda apathetic to actually getting anything done. Also, I think dwarven alcoholism means dwarf zombies still get ultra-slow from withdrawal over time, just as with vampires.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is that a flying penguin in the top right there?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't realize puffins could fly, I just thought they were a more tropical kind of penuin. You know, adapted to a purely aquatic lifestyle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Forgot to lower the landing gear, poor guy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Puffins aren't tropical though.

There are more warm weather penguins like the Galapagos penguin but yeah.
I sort of conflated those in my head, it seems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SubNat posted:

A cat steps into a puddle of coins, and wanders the fort, barfing up coin-hairballs everywhere because each time the cat cleans itself it ends up ingesting an entire mug worth of coins due to a bug.
I'd really love custom liquids though, even though there wouldn't be a lot to do with them, other than making beer-waterfalls and the like.
A beerfall should just guarantee the euphoric happiness of all your dwarves in perpetuity. It is everything they love: overengineered falling liquids and alcohol.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The sea monster looks very appropriately monstery, but could do with some extra tentacles. They have six of them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Whats the justification for this anyway? I would think that if a dwarf has been drinking the booze their whole life, being cut off during hospitalization would just make things worse.
Because it's a Rule. You Don't Drink In Hospitals. Everyone knows that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

Just look at the dwarf fortress wiki and use that to help you navigate your first few forts. Before you generate a world, open d_init.txt and turn off invasions so you don't need to worry about them while doing the initial learning. You can also set a population cap (I do this religiously) so you have a manageable amount of dwarves with which to learn how to manage the place.
This is also a good idea because it will limit how much the size of the population can drag down your framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

When you consider the fact that they're literally used to living in complete darkness for months or years at a time, dwarven sun sickness suddenly becomes a lot less humorous and a lot more "well yeah, of course they wouldn't deal well with bright lights," doesn't it?