Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Vander posted:

Been playing this for years, and I still have never used the original tile set. Anyone else like that? Can we get an updated startup guide to tiles?

I love the default, but I have it as a 12x12 tileset.

The wiki has a huge list of tilesets. I think Jolly is my favorite tileset outside of the default.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Internet Kraken posted:

I meant my own personal mod, but thanks for the links anyways.

I don't even remember what the next version was supposed to add anymore. I think something about making adventure mode better.

I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it should have everything up to a month or two ago at the worst.

Dwarf Fortress Fan-Compiled Changelog

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

But at least with those things they just add extra detail or challenge to the game. Superfluous or overly difficult perhaps (I had elephants on my previous embark site and I never had trouble with them personally), but not especially egregious. Tying up containers full of stuff other dwarves need just to fetch one item seems like a really bad design decision, full stop.

Yes? :psydwarf:

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

scamtank posted:

Metal clothes only work by kind of accident right now. The ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD tag that all ordinary clothes have caps the garment material's shear strength values to 20,000 yield and 30,000 break, only marginally stronger than bare skin.

The only defense they give is an unusual amount of momentum reduction after the layer gets defeated, thanks to the titanic IMPACT_YIELD they have. It's a weird quirk in the momentum system that I'd have to explain with a wall of text.

I would read it.

By the way, no fun text in the thread name? I was hoping Dwarf Fortress: A section of the thread has collapsed! would make a comback.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 15, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's a lot to process. Does that mean I would be better off with metal clothing than armor in some cases?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Alexzandvar posted:

It depends on how angry/reactive your local elven population is. So it's a hit or miss if you get a siege. I just have really lovely luck when it comes to not pissing off elves.

I accidentally offended a elven trader and found myself under siege year round because there was a TON of elves on the world I made my fort on, so much like anything in Dorf Fort it's just a crap shoot.

I much prefer this than rigid conditions where something happens everytime given the player's identical input.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Carsius posted:

Make sure you don't atom smash your junk.

Okay. :stare:

Speaking of junk management, is there a convenient way to make a tunnel straight down without killing a dwarf in the magma sea or have extra tunnels leading out of it?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't played around in Legends mode in a couple years. Saw this today:

:black101:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EightBit posted:

Multi-tile trees, climbing, I'm sure there's other huge things but that is what is sticking in my head for :psydwarf: mode.

Fan-compiled changelog, may be incomplete.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

steinrokkan posted:

So in short the adventure mode would be much better if it were plausible to sustain oneself on wildlife while progressively making your way through missions. As it is the AM is nigh unplayable.

I thought you could butcher wild animals and cook their meat on a campfire.

What I didn't like was being hungry/thirsty but too full to eat/drink. :psydwarf:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beak dog, as imagined by Zach Adams.

:psydwarf:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

scamtank posted:

dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf devlog

What filming and audio recordings?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Found the perfect dragon to slay.

Mistrum.

The very last female dragon in the world, though there are still a few males out. 500 years in, hundreds of notable kills. Associated with wealth and fire.

By killing the last female, I can personally guarantee the end of the dragons. :black101:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

my dad posted:

Hatches. Hatches are a lifesaver.

Does opening a hatch slow down travel time?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do megabeasts ever meet in world gen and fight?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Would anyone like to sum up what's going to be new in this release?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit?pli=1

It gets edited all the time. I swear there used to be more on it. I'm sure you could browse the edit history if you were so inclined.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sometimes I tell myself he's doing a lot of the behind-the-scenes work so future development will produce tangible results more quickly.

:negative:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Masterwork

Honestly though, love reading about it. Might try it out again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bad Munki posted:

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_38_01_win.zip

This is hilarious and the forums are better because it exists. Way to go, you. :jerkbag:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm still not sure if you're kidding or not.

Oh, I don't know. Some of these will be neat. Megabeasts occupying civ sites. Reclaiming sites from them with your adventurer. Civs building sites after worldgen. Site claiming. Fleeing commanders try to return to their camps. Patrols that raise alarms. Anything Entity Group or Heritage related.

That's just stuff related to the living world. There's lots of neat poo poo. Though I'm not so keen that it took two years for this update. Makes me worry about future releases.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 18, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

chiefnewo posted:

For some reason I want to see if it is possible to build a road across the world by starting and retiring forts all along it. Each fort builds a patch of the road as far as they can and is then retired, the new fort starting up right next to them to continue it.

It won't appear as a road on the map, nor would it be perfect because you can't build on the map edge, so there will be a blank couple tiles along the road every map site distance.

It sounds amazingly :spergin: to have wanted to do that at all considering the size of the world and how long dwarves take to actually build poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zereth posted:

You can build roads on the map edge, I think. Maybe also floors.

Hm. I was extrapolating from a question I had years ago about using two forts to create a bridge across a sea that was narrow enough to only cover two map sites.

Maybe that would make a viable bridge now that we can jump.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bad Munki posted:

It'll stop being funny exactly one week after the actual release, when everyone realizes a week's worth of posts saying "new release is out" were genuine. At that precise point in time, it will cease being funny and will become deathly hilarious as this thread implodes.

...no? It was never funny. It's rickrolling.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Civilized World Population

151,378 Dwarves
1,055,695,028 Humans
43,529 Elves
62,332 Goblins
2,577 Kobolds

Total: 1,055,954,844

It was just a medium world too. 550 years of generation though.

Also, this is pretty great DF fanart.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zoe posted:

Holy poo poo. Where'd this come from?

This thread moves fast. Sorry it's 100+ replies late.

http://kruggsmash.deviantart.com/art/Greed-The-End-of-Duralthob-463209684

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So how are tilesets different? I checked the default 800x600 in .34 and .40 and they seem to be identical.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the difference between "No Quarter" and "Lethal"?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

At the moment you'll hate the glitches, the crashes, long loading times and nobody aggroing onto you unless you yell at them. Wait for a while, then get stuck in.

cheesetriangles posted:

That sounds kinda disappointing.

On the other hand, it's really cool that I can find specific people/places/events without having to have a copy of the world running legends in the side. I can just ask people where things are and they'll either tell me or guide me. Conversation is my favorite feature so far. It feels a lot more organic than it used to be.

What's the command to climb in Adventure mode?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I have found the root cause of the waves of babies appearing in fortress mode.

I kept getting this response when searching for a dragon for my quest. The cave was merely on the other side of a mountain range. I wish they NPCs would just say that rather than "inaccessible".

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought I heard a TF2 sound effect in there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
edit: damnit, ignore

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dungeon Ecology posted:

quick question -- if I export a map from Legends, where can I find it? I've been poking around the program files for DF, but I can't find anything...

Your main Dwarf Fortress folder.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That island in the very middle west there. Those purple circles are cavern entrances, I believe. That is hell island.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SynthOrange posted:

Man I wish I knew what all these status effects are. Blinking blue ! you are no help!

Melancholy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't seen many opinions on trees in .40, but I think they look absolutely great.

Maarak posted:

Is that an antarctic volcano in the SW?

Oh man, it is. The problem with that world was that I was just testing some population numbers after my custom world always had one or two sentient species getting wiped out within the first hundred years. That world had all the boring/not-fun stuff like bogeymen, low megabeast numbers, etc so I didn't bother keeping it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Has there been a Phoebus tileset released for 40.03? I'm getting pretty tired of losing every fortress to a crash during the first 30 minutes.

I don't understand how those two things are connected.

But yes.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I lost an entire year's progress to a crash today. I am well aware it is my own stupid fault, but I'm switching back to Masterwork for now. Autosave spoils me.

On a more hilarious note. I had to abandon and reclaim a fort because a ghost decided to manifest in the dining room and everyone was too busy panicking to engrave a stupid slab to get rid of it. Your dorfs won't bury dwarven invaders and they still rise as ghosts.

Also pet training doesn't work half the time.

This is why I don't make the meeting hall the crossroads of the fort and make extensive use of doors as vision blockers so I can get dwarves moved where I need them during an emergency.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I absolutely hate bogeyman as they currently exist. They only bother you if you're alone at night in adventure mode and there are seemingly an unlimited source of them and it's impossible to deal with them without literally fighting all night or managing to find an "indoors" without the help of quick travel.

I wish Toady would rework them to somehow be interesting and not a roadblock... and then take another look at Aquifers while he's at it. Until then, I'll just keep modding both out of my worlds.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I get a lot of enjoyment out of Legends mode.

Just generated this world. Isle of Man up there in the north-west.

Civilized World Population (year 220)
1 Dwarf
25631 Humans
29880 Goblins
Total: 55512

My worldgen settings only get what I'm expecting a fraction of the time. Entire species probably get lost from my abundance of megabeasts... but even under the best circumstances, I get merely dozens of Kobolds. I don't see an option in advanced world generation parameters to make Kobolds more prolific. Is there anything I can change there without going into the raws?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Didn't keep that world.

I just punched a falcon so hard that it smacked straight into the ground and died.

Game of the Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OwlFancier posted:

Did you shout "falcon punch!" while you did so?

Holy poo poo. :vince: