Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

AXE COP posted:

That masterwork blurb is pretty out of date. There's a whole new GUI for setting the mod up, the number of playable races has swollen from 2 to 5 (!!) and there's all kinds of insane crap like automatic factory chains, programmable catapults and magma cannons.

MMmm, magma cannons.

I want to shoot at some titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there anything I should be thinking about when I decide how deep to build? I've usually been doing farm one level under the ground and then having stairs down like 10-15 levels and then making workshops on one side and dining rooms/beds on the other side.

Nope, nothing really.

Also, guys, I really want to play DF but I really want to wait for the next update... arghhhhhhhhhhh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there a reverse-burrow option? I just want to forbid my people from going outside during a seige, but i don't want to keep them from mining and other stuff inside the base.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just make a burrow from the top of your fortress to the bottom of the map.

Do burrows automatically expand when mining or does that just count the un-mined walls as already in the burrow?

Thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

By default no, but if you define the burrow past the edges of the cave walls, that burrow definition will stick (though it won't show, I believe), and dwarves will continue to mine all of the burrow that's been defined.

OK,I'll just define literally everything belowground as a burrow until I hit a cavern.

Thanks for the help.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Satone posted:

I make a trap hallway, with locked doors. Set a burrow on a big open space like your dining hall or something like that and set your alert so all your civilians flee to it. Whenever you run into trouble hit the alert and then lock the doors on the trap hallway. Once you've got everyone inside and the doors locked kill the alert and go back to what you were doing. This works great for early game, but later on your gonna run into door busters so use locked doors in conjunction with raising drawbridges. You don't have to set the door on the trap hallway, you can set it wherever there's a single bottleneck in your fort, but I like to set it on the trap hallway because it gives me the chance to run them through the gauntlet before I lock them away from their siege dreams of conquest on my fort.

Yeah, I got to where i do that now.

The long trap hallway was a great source of caged frogmen and goblins, which i hooked up to a lever in a small pit and let my marksdwarves train on them.

reading posted:

I have the .exe but I'm on linux, and using the linux download which included all these windows .exes.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8639 Try this one.

If you need help with Masterwork, make a post on their forum section on the official Dwarf Fortress forums. Meph reads basically every single post there.

EDIT: Toady basically forcing people to memory hack to do things is stupid, as I've said before.

This multi-zlevel renderer and all these tilesets could be so much easier if he would implement an API for graphics. We would have fully 3d DF by now.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 29, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

OK, my save/restore stockpile settings thing seems to work now. In case that's useful to someone else as well:

save-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/e9eb444b25076740bd67
load-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/69356ef7d8bfac4452bf

That's interesting... Do you know if quickfort can Query and set up stockpiles?

My latest fort was completely aboveground and just got ended by a zombie seige at the same time as a goblin mage ambush --- he set them on fire and a fiery leatherwing bat corpse flew into my fort and set the grass on fire.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I was thinking of trying to get the Dwarf Therapist optimizer to working but I can never figure out a good ratio for jobs and just in general getting it to work is a hassle. Does anyone have one for Masterwork already set up that I can look at?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

^^ no idea, does it work fine in the masterwork proper?

What kind of layout do you guys do with your workshops? I'm thinking of either a 3x4 cell with stairs (or are ramps quicker?) going down 1 z-level to a stockpile or just a 5x5 with a stockpile surrounding it, but that would take a lot of room.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Don't accept Munki's trolling.

In reality, nothing has changed in vanilla DF for 2 years, try masterwork. Vanilla is being updated... sometime in the next monthish.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tirius posted:

I hope someday we see the ability to perform some fortress mode functions in adventure mode. I'd love to be able to play an adventurer, take some jobs, kill some bandits, buy an axe and some food, head into the woods, cut down some trees, construct a carpentry, build a little house, mine out a basement, etc.

Look up "advfort"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

pisshead posted:

The key commands in the second post don't work. Enter only selects one tile, and doesn't let you select a rectangle. <> doesn't change levels but just scrolls the map north and south.

Edit: Turns out it does move levels, but just looks like it's scrolling down. I've marked out an area for mining, but even though I have an idle miner nothing is happening. I can't select an area for cutting trees.

What exactly am I supposed to do in this game? I can't designate anyone to do anything, and left to their own devices they just do nothing.

Edit: Turns out you have to build up and down staircases to the lower level before he will go down and mine. You have to select several stair tiles, not just one.

Add me on skype at "daggroth" and I can help you out.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mu. posted:

Ordinary citizens are now so terrified of death and mindless slaughter (as they well should be) that they'll huddle in a corner while you murder their friend, butcher the corpse and then pelt them to death with chunks of his body.

"I cannot just stand by. This might require an answer." -- last known words of Girus Butteredcrafts, who just stood by.

Holy poo poo.

Petition to change thread to Dwarf Fortress 2014: It is Terrifying

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sweet, we got the thread title changed.

Anyone know if any non ASCII tilesets are being updated soon? Forums constantly down for me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well.

Edit: The more i re-read this, the funnier it gets.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

WhenInRome posted:

I'm trying to play Warlocks in Masterwork, but all the embark options don't work for some reason - none of the characters have any skills assigned. What skills should I pick for them?

Check out the manual. Skeletons do manual labor, ghouls do butchery and other manual labor, warlocks do sorcery/herbalism/researching etc. Build up the summon blocks thing asap.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Therapist for 40.03 i believe.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Either danger rooms are MORE dangerous or masterwork training spears are very deadly.

As soon as I turn the lever on repeat, it instantly impales 3 of my 5 dwarves in the throat, killing them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

Didn't you get the memo about the reworked blunt impacts? You're tenderizing the poor bastards.

What happened?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

Uh, pulping? If you subject a flexible bodypart (only bruises) to enough blunt force over time, it will eventually crumple into a broken mess. Getting your head or a section of your torso reduced to chunky salsa means instant death.

Mechanically, the bodypart is just suddenly and thoroughly broken by what I think is one of the less-used forces. Compressive or tensile, I think.

It did say his throat exploded into a pulp of gore or something. I think I shouldn't have used 10 masterwork training spears in each trap with my untrained dwarves.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm in the latest version of DF and I'm being invaded by dwarves.

Wait, no, I think this is a goblin civ that has taken over dwarves and humans, because it's like 2 goblins, 10 humans, and a few dwarves.

EDIT: Nope, I just checked my Civ list and it's my OWN civilization. I accidentally cancelled the outpost liason conversation so they sent an army to take me out. Weirdly it has goblins and humans with it.

EDIT2: Combat in this version is awesome. My entire militia minus one person and the entire enemy force is "overcome with terror" and whatnot, after a single death.

My militia commander is metal as hell and just jumped at someone from a Z-level above and cut their head off after they rolled away from him.

"Death is all around us, this is truly terrifying."

Also my militia commander is now punching things in the head for the last 30 pages of combat logs, apparently unable to kill the human he's hitting. He has an axe in his hand but insists on punching.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 16, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

My latest fortress got owned by an unannounced warband from a nearby human civilization. Complete with an army of armed and armored goblin zombie soldiers. Not a single necromancer amongst them, I don't think.

Legends mode is all :shrug: over the causes of the war, too.

Did the civ show up in the C menu?

EDIT: And now after all of the fighting one of my military is constantly spitting on another one of my military. Maybe he's calling him a coward?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 16, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ahhh... Yep, it was from my own civilization, guaranteed. I'm currently experiencing a loyalty cascade, where my militia is attacking each other, except for my speardwarf who is cowering in a corner as a dwarven child punches him over and over.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Man I wish I knew what all these status effects are. Blinking blue ! you are no help!

Mortal Terror, usually?

Nope, since the last release it also stands for dwarves overcome by terror.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Drevoak posted:

I've been wanting to play masterwork for a while but I got a couple questions.

I tried playing it about a month ago and I kept running into problems here and there. Is it really best to use the recommended worlds? I used the Plains as the base world yet I would end up with either little to no dirt for underground farming, no iron in the entire area(according to prospect all) or having the area littered with warpstone.

How can I deal with warpstone? I've had it happen where I plan out my entire base and start digging and then I hit a massive warpstone vein right where I was going to put all the bedrooms.

Does anyone have a therapist profile for all the new skills masterwork adds? I don't know what to put as a priority for them all.

Probably the most annoying issue I had was with making a custom embark profile and then trying to load it. I would create an embark profile to how I want and pretty much everytime I tried to load that profile I would be then told that I didn't actually have enough points for all of the items. When I create the profile I would have enough points but loading it would say there isnt and I'd basically have to redo the whole thing.

Just turn off Harder Mining until you have played for a while and want to add in warpstone and coal dust and other stuff.

Just up your embark points in the GUI and see how many you need for the profile you did. I'd suggest going into the GUI and setting it up with Researching turned off and Harder Mining off at first. Also turn on frogmen, those guys are awesome invaders.

Don't worry about the new skills until you make the workshop that they use. Just a word of advice, Masonry is really important since you can make complete bedroom sets (Door, Bed, Cabinet, Coffer) out of stone at the Furniture workshop. They also make Noble sets, and other things.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

To be honest, like all of the 'Harder _____' things are pretty poo poo because they're just added tedium for a game where there's enough already when it comes to wrangling your particular collective of bearded cats. I'm not sure why the hell they're enabled from the start.

I generally leave harder learning on just so that I feel like getting a dwarf into a caste is more important. Other than that they don't matter much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

For the people asking for a masterwork LP... I may make one in the coming days. Mostly would focus on the workshops I find useful, and probably a text one.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If I was to do a Masterwork LP, what would you people who are interested in Masterwork like to see? I assume you all know how to get a fortress up and running, so would you want me to focus on the changes or...?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Best way to take full-screen images from Dwarf Fortress?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thingyman posted:

What's wrong with prtsc?

Just wondered if there was a way that automatically saved them rather than me needing to open paint.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Spoggerific posted:

In regards to a Masterwork LP, I'd personally prefer one with little to no narrative that instead just talks about the game mechanics at hand. Making stories for cool events that happen would be fine, but I haven't really been a fan of how story driven the more recent Dwarf Fortress LPs have been. That kind of thing can turn out good, but I think it needs a good writer to pull it off properly, and not every goon is a good writer.

For screenshots, there are plenty of utilities that automatically save and categorize images. I use irfanview. The tech support fort thread in the LP subforum probably has more info if you want to look around. Making a test post for the sandcastle before posting your LP is also a really good idea, especially if you've never done one before.

Oh man I would definitely not do story-based LPs, that takes loving forever. It'd just be a quick rundown of the fort every couple steps in its construction, a short post for each major event, then mostly workshop stuff. I'll look into getting a program and starting it up soon.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

King Doom posted:

How to set the bloody thing up, mostly. There still seems to be that entire 'if you don't know how this all works gently caress you n00b scrub you don't deserve to know' attitude over on the official forums.

Even an idiots guide to changing the font/text/graphics/whatever back to the default DF one would be great. I can barely focus on the defualt masterwork one, literal. It's almost impossible for me to see.

Now see, I'd be playing on either the default Masterwork tileset or the Phoebus one. What's so bad about the default tileset?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Solarflare posted:

Masterwork question: I've been trying to use the Embassy to summon an invasion because i'm getting wicked bored with nothing ever happening. All the options related to other civs are red even though i have almost 10000 gold coins. Any idea what the problem could be?

If the option is red you are missing one of the reagents.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Solarflare posted:

The only reagent listed for "Declare war on goblins" is gold coins, which I have 10000 of. According to the manual it's only supposed to take 1000. Maybe there's no one around to invade?

I believe if goblins are dead or inaccessible that may be the issue as well... but post it on the masterwork forums, meph is fairly good about answering questions.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm not sure how long it'll take me to start a Masterwork LP since I'm kind of busy, here's a quick walkthrough for getting up and running.

Setup

Setting up your Masterwork properly is very important, since some of the options are for masochists and some of the other ones are pretty important.

I prefer the Masterwork or Phoebus tilesets, but any work. Note that you can't have the extra weapon/item icons enabled if you want to use truetype. To enable truetype, turn off Creature Sprites and Item Images.

I like adding new siege races, even if I rarely see any besides frogmen.

The research system is just an annoying way to stop you from building workshops early on without making paper and a bunch of other research components first, which is okay if you want to have a sense of progression but is not for me, and if you want to experiment with workshops, not for you either.
The Wood Splitting Block allows you to turn 1 log into 2(4?) planks, which work as building materials. However, this skyrockets your fortress value because your dwarves must smooth the wood first, which adds value. This is kind of risky unless you set up an early defense.

All of the Furnaces are useful.

Some settings - Harder anything is unnecessary except to add more challenge, which as a new player to the mod, you don't need.
I believe the Clay oven is broken at the moment, he was revamping the whole Clay system so I wouldn't mess with it currently.

Dwarves seem to often die out in worldgen, so if you can't find a dwarven civ to play, uncheck the "Fort" column for everyone but dwarves in the Civilizations tab and worlds will be rejected until one has Dwarves in it.

Worldgen and Embarking

For starters, go into advanced worldgen and choose a world setup, I prefer the "Blessed Serra" worldgen, which appears as Good Plains I believe. This is a world with generally neutral or good biomes, but it also has a large number of volcanoes to delve right in to magma workshops.

Find a good embark point and embark, then you'll be greeted with this screen

See how the dwarves have caste titles behind them? That's something Meph added in, each dwarf has a chance to be in a random caste, where they enjoy/are better at doing the tasks of that guild. To find the guild, just start up the copy of therapist included with Masterwork...

See, it's easy! Use this to plan out your dwarves labors before embarking.

As for items, I generally bring a large amount of livestock and a small amount of actual items. Livestock are a great way to feed the entire fortress, and many of them have multiple uses.

Changelings can be transformed into animals to fight, as well as becoming familiars for the magic users of the mod.
Badgerdogs are basically dogs from Vanilla.
Doebeetles can be milked for Dew, which can be brewed into drinks at the Still/Brewery.
The Armoks Ward is for the special fun stuff that is in the mod, maybe not needed if that option is off.
Moleweasels are just Cats that don't adopt your dwarves.
Leatherwing Bats also hunt vermin, but are more important for the ability to shear them once a season for a free piece of leather.
Woolly Mountain Goats can be sheared for wool.
Boozebelly Goats can be milked, then the milk turned into cheese, then the cheese brewed into drinks. They're a more reliable booze source than dewbeetles.

Mastiffs are pretty large dogs, great for war training.
Drakes can be sheared for scales, but for some reason when I try to war train them they never attack anything. If you want a renewable scale source, drakes are a good investment.
Frilly Lizards are the third vermin-hunting option, but they're much slower than the other ones. They lay eggs.

My normal embark is various animals, such as Mastiffs to train for fighting, Moleweasels for food and vermin-hunting, and Leatherwing bats for leather.

Embark with "Chopping Axes" rather than battle axes, and regular picks rather than mining picks.

Actually playing the game

Embark, get out there, and you're ready to play.

Some quick tips: A lot of the Masterwork workshops are great for reducing the micro involved in Dwarf Fortress. The Rockforge/Gemforge/Glassforge can make weapons and other items out of Stone/Gems/Glass. The Furniture workshop can make sets of furniture out of various materials. Generally I use Stone Blocks to make bedroom sets, which is 1x Bed, 1x Door, 1x Coffer, 1x Cabinet.
Military training is slightly buffed in Masterwork, but not to the extent that it was buffed in DF2014. Be wary of Danger rooms, they're much more dangerous now.
You can embark with intestines and stomachs and turn them into rope and waterskins at the tannery.
If you don't have a steel industry set up yet but you need steel and iron for some reason, you can create and Altar of Armok and set "Pray for Hard Metals" on repeat. The altar has a small chance of creating an item each time a dwarf prays there.

The Greatforge creates 2handed weapons and armorsets, but for armor you really want the Armory, which can produce Plate Armor, which is better than just plain metal armor sets.
The Weaponry can upgrade weapons for you, causing them to become stronger.

That's all I've got for you guys now, here's a quick picture of the pretty multi-Z-level rendering on the edge of a volcano.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Speaking of masterwork, does anyone know how to make the tiles/ASCII as small as they are in vanilla? Because, frankly, they're kind of giant.

Zoom out? Or in the init file that you use to manually change tilesets, maybe.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm pretty sure those are for storing equipment and also don't actually do anything. They might have been related to the Arsenal Dwarf, who is not missed.

Yep, storing squad/individual equipment and as far as I know are defunct.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is it possible to train dogs who are already the pets of dwarves?

I put two dogs into an Activity Zone, turned on Training and Pen/Pasture, walled off the area and put in a doorway that it tightly shut. Went to my trainer who has animal training and trapping enabled, pressed P for preferences, but he says that there are no animals left to train...

I dunno...

To train, you go into the animals menu (like for slaughtering)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kennel posted:

Toady just fixed population cap.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2922

And those projectile issues that were discussed yesterday.

Awesome, bugfixes from the last 4+ years!~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm sort of overwhelmed by Masterwork. I've just been doing a vanilla layout through the first few waves of migrants, but I end up with living stone and relics and I don't know which animals I want and there are all these other workshops and what is research and :iit:

Is there an LP somewhere that's good?

(sawmills golems paint changelings stable ogod)

I'd turn research off if I was you. Relics go in the Archeologist shop, they can be lots of cool things after they get worked. Sometimes mithril armor, weapons, and sometimes useless rusty iron things. Living stone can be turned into meat at a slaughterhouse.