Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Remember, kids, LOSING IS FUN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

Yeah, it's an enormous waste. You'd have to be drunk and mad to do so. Nobody asked if it was a sane thing to do, though!

As far as I know, wear is controlled by the ARMORLEVEL tag. It doesn't contribute to actual protective level anymore, but it dictates what the AI will do with it. Level 0 is civilian crap that wears out with use, 1-3 are varying grades of martial gear.

The tag [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] gives the garment +1 to its armor level if it's made from metal instead of leather or cloth. Now, the million dollar question is whether it applies to armor level zero or if adamantine cloth is some kind of a weird kludged exception that doesn't count or not.

I know that my one unskilled dwarf who wore an adamantine cloak (made by accident) survived what his legendary bronze wearing buddies didn't. He had a ton of injuries dorfs usually get when fighting enemies armed with blunt weapons, but nothing of the choppy sort, even though he fought sword dudes. Could be an accident, but I doubt it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

MohawkSatan posted:

No, that's because the Bay12 community is horrendous.

Yup, pretty much this.

Gibbo posted:

The Bay12 community is basically Fyad.

No, not really.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Splode posted:

I stopped doing a central stairwell once I started building forts with controllable secure water supplies. One stairwell is a huge problem when you've accidentally started flooding your fortress as it can be tricky to isolate.

Hatches. Hatches are a lifesaver.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Met posted:

Does opening a hatch slow down travel time?

I think not. Just like doors don't slow dwarves down either. However, they're much sturdier since nothing can open locked hatches from below.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

I hope you're not referring to Obok Meatgod.

So, I just googled this, hoping it was some crazy Cacame-like story.

Instead it was some pedophile modding DF to allow raping children to death. :gonk:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Flesh Forge posted:

It's just crazy that Today sits there and watches people hack all this poo poo out through memory editing while stubbornly keeping his source code to himself. What the gently caress.

A combination of the game being his life's work and not wanting anyone to take it from him, and a bunch of idiots asking him "Will the source code be released if you happen to, say, die in a traffic accident?" until he included a clause in his testament saying that DF source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

victrix posted:

What did I just read :psyduck:

Guy said "It's just crazy that..."

I gave him something crazier.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Anyway, to contribute something, here are two amazing DF videos I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKW030fKbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is1wSwdaM2w

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Michaellaneous posted:

A drawbirdge is a FPS optimization.

The opposite. Everything destroyed by drawbridges still exists in a weird way, and remains a FPS drain.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bad Munki posted:

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_38_01_win.zip

Nice try. :smuggo:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The UI is the least important thing because that's something someone other than Toady can do.

The living world, on the other hand, is the most amazing new development since DF went 3d.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Friendly reminder: For 16x16 square tiles, just turn [GRAPHICS] to ON in init.txt

edit: You can change the number of embark points in the world generation settings.

my dad fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 8, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Procedurally generated materials. Have fun figuring out what they do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

UltraShame posted:

Will my stupid dwarves trigger their own traps or do they only fire on enemies? i.e.: Do I have to set up a different trap-laden entrance to entice enemies into, or can I just trap my existing main entrance?

Only if they get knocked out while standing on them. Or if they fall asleep on one, as I find out the hard way. But that almost never happens. Almost.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Interesting feature.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
14 brains = 14 weight units of brains, not 14 brains. (In case of eyes, there are 4 individual eyes for the 2 heads, so it can't go below 4 units, but they're below maximum unit weight)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Archonex posted:

At this point I just try and delimb them, followed by a decapitation. That keeps them from doing any serious damage until I can put them down.

Did... Did Toady just create Dead Space in DF? Dwarf Space? :ohdear:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Flint_Paper posted:

Link here: http://yourbeautifulgame.com/entry/1144828

I think it's a nice description of the game for people who have no idea what it is. Describes it as nightmarishly obtuse but with a wealth of fun to be had if you stick at it.

If anyone liked it, do feel free to click vote! That would be lovely.

:lol: Look at the views. Only 19 votes, but 10 times more views than everything else combined.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Or just change the world settings to allow you to bring more stuff on embark.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

tinkerttoy posted:

I slaughtered a palace for no particular reason, then came back with my next adventurer. Every member of the new guard was inexplicably a wrestler. Is that supposed to happen?

Wrestling is the default skill of useless new recruits. It basically means that the guards are conscripts from the civilian populace and don't have a clue about fighting.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

amuayse posted:

Lethal keeps going until your opponent is either dead or incapacitated/yielded. No quarter kills everything.

Scratch incapacitated. Lethal means cheerfully stabbing an unconscious dude in the brain.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Robot Randy posted:

It's p fun, you can yell poo poo at random dudes/nothing and races have their own sites now. The quest menu is hella confusing so good luck getting to where you need to go

If you write down important names (yes, yes, I know) you can use the word filter to easily find them later.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What was it made of?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fuligin posted:

It used to be that only elves could eat other sentient creatures, and it was the general casus belli for the other races exterminating them. I wonder what changed. In adventure mode at least I've found it a good strategy to always grab one companion in the beginning, bring them out into the wilderness, and then kill and butcher them for enough meat to last you at least two or three weeks.

You can harvest leaves and berries from bushes. Some of them are edible and weigh almost nothing at all. I found enough bitter leaf to provid a month's worth of food for less weight than a single meal of meat.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 12, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Highway to hell, eh? This might be useful... somehow...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ogantai posted:

Dwarf Fortress is the 2.0, the original Slaves to Armok was even worse. :gonk:

At least it was 3D. Ish. If you squint.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GenericOverusedName posted:

It is terrifying :staredog:

It was inevitable.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

delboy posted:

Is bronze armour the highest tier found lying around the world? I haven't yet come across anything besides that and copper. I'm considering creating a fort simply to kit my next adventurer out, but i'd prefer it if there was a less cheaty way.

You can find iron fairly regularly, particularly if you reduce mineral scarcity in worldgen.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

When you see an enemy at the edge of your vision, try (S)printing towards him and (j)umping directly into/onto him from a few tiles away once you have a good head of steam built up. Sends 'em flying :black101:

Modded adventures of Bronze Colossi are amazing when you do this. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Internet Kraken posted:

My militia commander is suffering from mortal terror because she killed a crab. :what:

Ain't nothing wrong with being afraid of crabs.

Safety first, folks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Toady is merely replacing obsolete placeholder plugs with a universal adapter.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Danny Glands posted:

Assuming that 40.04 won't break saves, I will start the DF14 succession fort tomorrow-ish.

Patience, patience. Wait until there's a week without any new major gamebreaking bugs reported. The worst ending to an LP is a crash to desktop.

Don't count on Toady preserving save compatibility until this happens.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

soapydishwater posted:

Weird thing with playing as a bronze colossus: I can ask about myself as if I'm a historical figure or something.

People don't know who you are until you introduce yourself. I had an option to impersonate a dude once, couldn't get it to work again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zurai posted:

The unit of measurement for lessons learned in DF is dwarven lives. No biggie.

I guess I'm a slow learner then :saddowns:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The N stands for "Nobody outside this thread would get the joke"

The pixeldorf at least allows using it for deadpan "sooooo scaaary :rolleyes:"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Michaellaneous posted:

Has anyone a good working optimization plan for dwarf therapist? If yes, would you share?

Try Lagrange multipliers first. If the problem is too complex, try a particle swarm or two. Combine it with a genetic algorithm if that fails. If the problem is beyond that, you'll have to resort to model predictive control.

:v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I am the nemesis of :iit:, once revered by those who didn't know any better. Prepare to die.

What were we talking about again?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Subjunctive posted:

Did I make a mistake?

You spent 50 dollars. Whether this is a mistake or not is entirely up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Boing posted:

New necks are weird and break my immersion in adventurer mode whenever I sever someone's neck and it goes flying away in an arc. Has anyone gone fiddling with the body definition raws to make it make a little more sense? I've played with creature definitions but the body ones always confused me.

It's called a "neck" but there's actually a head attached to it. It's just named that way due to how the game sees body parts. If you butcher it, you will get a skull.