Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Thingyman posted:

Whose obtuse therapy screen necessitates an external Dwarf Therapist Therapist.

If my job was to deal with a fortressfull of dwarves' personality issues all day every day I'd need my own therapist, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

I think I'd like to undertake a small project: alter the Elephant raws to bring back Boatmurdered-era muderherds. Any advice for tags to use or remove for best results?

Like lunnrais said, the big issue with elephants was that they teamed up and held grudges, because the game logic at the time essentially treated each species of creature as their own civilization.

Mod in an elephant civ and let us know how it goes!

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
So I got a notification that a trading caravan + diplomat had arrived, but when I went to look for the caravan, I couldn't find it. I never got a notification that they were leaving. Oddly enough, in the dead units screen, there was the entry "Wagon: Missing"

And I just now saw in my depot a neat, 1 tile stack of assorted trade goods, plus some "wagon wood" logs.

Does anyone know what happened here or is my fort just slipping into the Twilight Zone?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

... I can't help but wonder if it's the wagons themselves that panic and fall apart.

I sure hope that's the case. Any other explanation just sounds boring in comparison now. Anyway, guess it's time to do something with the corpses other than "pile outside the front door".

HappyKitty posted:

My dwarves once engraved a memorial slab to a wagon that went missing. I kinda wish I hadn't done that, if only so that I could experience the joys of a ghost wagon haunting the fortress :iit:

I'll make sure not to have one engraved and let y'all know if anything comes of it.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
There's a project I've been interested in trying for a while now, but I've never figured out whether or not it's possible. I'd like to devote a series of forts to building a massive bridge that spans an ocean between two continents on the world map.

The basic idea would be to start with a very thin, very long embark, build a bridge spanning the map, and then start more forts for every separate piece of bridge. The issue here of course is that unless something changed in the new version, you can't make an embark over region tiles from different world tiles, so there's no way to embark over entirely ocean tiles to connect bridges.

So my big problem now is that I need to figure out a way to create embarkable land near the unfinished end of the bridge for a wagon to start on. I'd like to do this without overtly cheating, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do just in fortress mode (if not someone feel free to let me know), so now I'm looking at adventure mode possibilities.

Are pump stacks and whatnot still usable in adventure mode? If not, is there another way I can get lava from a retired fort to the ocean in adventure mode? I'm assuming it's still impossible to build or deconstruct things.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
As more of a personal challenge (or maybe just pride, I guess) I'm trying to use dfhack as little as possible. I can't quite remember but I think I'll still need to use some feature or another to be able to embark over the ocean even with a construction big enough to fit a wagon plus 7.

...speaking of which, would it be possible for me to embark with nothing but a pick and high swimming skills for everyone, end up with a starting point with no land whatsoever, and have them swim down and start mining? I can get the liquid physics to work well enough to get them a cave, but I'm like 90% sure they'll ignore the designations.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

They'll ignore anything that is deeper than 2/7 (or 3/7 I forget).

Yeah, past 3/7 they won't path through it. Real infuriating earlier when I was trying to train swimming, which only works in depths past 3. Related, I tried using minecarts to train and accidentally sent a dwarf on an endless underwater rollercoaster loop that only sped up. Anyway, I was hoping that if they were stuck in deep water with nowhere to go they might prioritize designations rather than escaping.

You know what heck with it I have more questions so I'll just throw them all here and see what sticks- if I drop lava in water in such a way as to form an obsidian block next to another one, will it automatically attach or fall? If it doesn't fall, how could I guarantee at least a 3x3 column? In adventure mode, is there a way to carry lava with me, such as a lavaproof bucket? Is there such a thing as a lavaproof bucket? Would it be enough to generate obsidian? If I have a forgotten beast made of lava, what happens if i grapple it and throw it into the ocean? If I have two are they breedable? Can you fill a minecart with lava? What happens when it's chucked in the ocean? Are whales tameable? Are they war trainable? If an adventurer is covered in water, will he form obsidian when jumping in lava? Is the reverse true? I plan on finding out these things one way or the other but it would be super helpful if anyone knows.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got a few good ideas on how to attempt this. Some last issues though, since my first attempt is going to depend heavily on pumps, does anyone know if you can manipulate pumps as an adventurer, and what happens if you pump magma into a completely enclosed space as it fills up?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
So I was looking at the first page and I saw that the section on the adventure mode guide is still empty! I don't think I remember one going up anywhere else in the thread either; do y'all need one? I could throw something together over next week or so if there's a need.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Well hello I finally have time + screenshots so guess what time it is

DWARF FORTRESS: ADVENTURER MODE

There's already a pretty succinct description of Adventurer Mode in the OP

scamtank posted:

Adventuring is kind of basic compared to the rest of roguelike competition, but it receives more and more attention with every release. Wander the world. Barge into the homes of notables. Demand errands. Interrogate children. Get lost in the wilderness. Kick a lynx in the teeth and suplex it into a tree. Run into the bandit lord by accident. Get beaten to death with your own shoes.

but to expand on that for anyone new here it's fortress mode but you only control one violent incompetent instead of a hundred. There's generally only two reasons people really want to play Adventurer mode for and that's a) exploring their old forts or b) crafting a peasant into an unstoppable world-ending abomination. It got a slew of new stuff for DF2014, check it out! That's it for introductions; you all are spared the twelve-post gibbering love letter to Adv Mode that I wanted to put here so count yourselves lucky.

Adventurer Mode: Getting Started

Once you pick a world to start with and hit that ominous "Adventurer Mode" button you've been avoiding till now you'll be greeted with this screen:

That's your starting civ, your starting ability level, and the world map. You can, unmodded, start as a human, an elf, or a dwarf. The races aren't too different, the couple of things you'll want to worry about are armor sizes and starting weapon skills. Humans wear larger armor than elves or dwarves, and two size categories of creature can't wear the other's armor. Humans do have more places available to buy armor, however. Each race can start trained in a different subset of the weapon skill list:

code:
h| |d
u| |w
m|e|a
a|l|r
n|f|f
---------------------------------
x| |x|	Axe
x|x| |	Bow
x| |x|	Crossbow
x| |x|	Hammer
 | | |	Knife
x| | |	Lash
x| |x|	Mace
x| | |	Pike
x|x|x|	Spear
x|x|x|	Sword
You can get training with any of these weapons as any race, you just can't start with them. Also of note is that elves start with higher natural speed and are AT_PEACE_WITH_NATURE (animals won't flee from or attack them), and dwarves, when surrounded in combat, can enter a martial trance, buffing up their combat skills. Each starts with some basic equipment- humans start with bronze, iron, etc weapons, dwarves can start with steel, and elves start with crappy wooden ones. No matter what, everyone gets a bonus large copper knife.

Your starting area on the world map is determined by your civilization, you can see this general area on the above map marked with light blue symbols- in the above it's #, for a human civ, an i for an elven civ, and an omega symbol for a dwarven civ. There's an important exception that comes up here and it's this guy, at the bottom of the civ selection list:

The Human Outsider, instead of starting in a town with a set of standard equipment, starts in the wilderness. Naked. They can only take weapon skills in Knife and Spear, and can't start with armor skills. This option basically exists for you to always be able to start an Adventurer game, even in the worst-case where the world is completely unpopulated. You can add this option to other races by adding the INDIV_CONTROLLABLE tag to the race, and while we're on that topic you can add the ADVENTURE_TEIR tag to a civilization to make it normally playable in adventurer mode.

There's one last addendum to this- kobolds. If you start a world with no playable civilizations, but kobolds do exist, you get the option of playing as a kobold adventurer. Kobolds are very weak, and tiny- so tiny, in fact, they occupy an armor size all their own, and it's near impossible to find armor for them, unless it's generated on top of other kobolds. I've never played as a kobold.

You have three starting ability levels to pick from, each decides how many points you have to spend on attributes and skills. The world of Dwarf Fortress is a harsh and unforgiving one and there is no shame in giving yourself an unreasonable amount of starting points to help you along. This also slightly changes your description in Legends mode. Peasants start with 15 Attribute points and 35 Skill points, Heroes start with 35 Attribute points and 95 Skill points, and Demigods start with 105 Attribute points and 161 Skill points. It's important to note that pretty much everything important is grindable, but (and I say it again because this is very important) BUT Attributes have a cap that depends on your starting score. This cap tends to be about double your starting Attribute score, but the actual calculation involves a racial average if your starting score is low. This means it's important to start with a few better than average attributes rather than many poor and one godly stat. Skills do not have this restriction, with one sort-of exception I'll get into later.

Attributes are to the left, skills to the right. The number next to each of them represents the point cost to upgrade. As you upgrade, the costs go up: Attributes cost 1, then 5, then 10, then 20; Skills are much more linear and cost 5 + the current skill level to upgrade. Note that attributes start at average, you can lower them to gain a handful of points.

Let's talk about attributes and what they do! If you've been following DF development, you might have noticed that Toady's development style involves a lot of implementing things for future uses, littering the game with little bits of features that, for now, have no point. Just so, some attributes have absolutely zero function in the game! Here's the attributes and what they're used for:

Strength: Adds bonus damage, no matter the weapon or lack thereof. Also increases muscle size, which adds a veeerrry small amount of damage resistance. Also adjusts how you are penalized for over-encumbrance; high strength will up your movement speed under heavy loads, but not as much as agility will.

Agility: Speed. In moving and in combat. Very important stat! Not only does it let you get more hits in, earlier, your ability to outpace others is very important to delaying the inevitable outcome of Adventurer Mode!

Toughness: Damage Reduction. Also important, for obvious reasons.

Endurance: How long it takes you to succumb to exhaustion. Fun Fact: the only time I've ever managed to fight and kill a demon as an adventurer was after a several-game-day battle that finally ended when it fled and then fell unconscious, at which point I was able to kill it with a single knife blow to the head. I had not managed until that point to deal any meaningful damage to it. Exhaustion will mess you up, no matter how tough you are.

Recuperation: How fast your wounds heal. Not as important as it sounds, any injury that can heal with high recuperation would just take more time with low recuperation, so all it comes down to is finding a town to hole up in until your bones mend.

Disease Resistance: There's a lot of people with a lot of different opinions on what this does. Most agree that infections and syndromes are affected, but not really in any meaningful capacity.

Analytical Ability: Used entirely to bang rocks together to make sharper rocks. More uses to come! Right now though it's a dump stat.

Focus: Your ranged, stealth, and observation skills.

Willpower: Your ability to not pass out from pain. Low pain tolerance will kill you very fast. Also adds to fighting, swimming, and crutch skills.

Creativity: Entirely pointless in Adventurer Mode...for now.

Intuition: Helps you spot and identify threats.

Patience: Pointless, as near as anyone can tell.

Memory: So you know how generally, in roguelikes, when you see terrain and then can't see it, it shows up as grayscale to symbolize your memory of it? In DF, you can forget those things. As you spend time away from places, their maps clear, depending on this attribute. If this is low enough, you can even forget the layout of structures you are currently exploring.

Linguistic Ability: Doesn't appear to have a purpose right now. May come into play with the conversation system or the incoming art forms.

Spacial Sense: This is a big one; it affects a lot of combat and mobility related skills, as well as observation and the ever-important rock-banging skills.

Musicality: See: Creativity.

Kinaesthetic Sense: Combat and Mobility. Fairly important.

Empathy: No one really knows. See: Linguistic Ability.

Social Awareness: Increases the number of people you can con into following you around. Average gives you two to start, and this number (not the stat) goes up as you gain popularity.

Now, Skills. All skills are grindable by practicing them, except for Reading. Some are harder to grind than others.

First off, check out that weapon skill list I mentioned above, the ones that change depending on your race. These, plus some unarmed fighting skills (Wrestling, Striking, Kicking, Biting, Throwing, and Misc. Object User, which is your hit people with a chair stat), dictate your starting weapon. If you don't pick any you default to a spear. Along with these, you have Fighting and Archery, which are your general melee and ranged skills that get added to your normal weapon skills for calculations. Armor, Shield, and Dodge provide your basic defense. Armor User also increases your move rate in heavy armor. Note that you can hit people with your equipped shield, but this uses Misc Obj instead of the Shield skill.

Moving down the skill list, we have Observer, which helps you spot sneaking enemies, as well as traps. This is trained when you successfully spot something, making it hard to train.

Next, Swimming: obvious enough, and very easy to train. Training this also ups several attributes. One level means you can swim, two means you can swim while stunned, but if you're careful, you can train this easily enough with no starting points. Climber is a new skill to DF2014, and is very similar to swimming in its function, dictating your speed and chance of loosing your grip.

Ambusher is your sneaking skill. Also easy to train, but remember that you can't sneak at all if something can see you. There's now a handy interface to see creatures' chances of spotting you!

I'll be honest; I've never used Tracker. You can use it to spot tracks and at higher levels identify them. Hard to train.

Not appearing on this list apparently is Crutch Walker, which dictates your move rate penalty while handicapped. Due to the wonky equipment mechanics, you can carry a crutch, a shield, and a weapon in one hand, so don't give up on your adventurer just because they've been bisected longways!

At the bottom of the list, we have Knapper and Reader.

Knapping is that rock-banging skill I keep mentioning. You can take a rock and make a sharp rock out of it, which can be used as a thrown weapon or for butchering. Doesn't do much with skill levels and you can still do this with no skill. Easy to train.

Reading is an odd one. There's no way to train reading. You either can, starting at novice, or you can't, so there's no reason to put more than one level into it. In fact, there's not much reason to put any skill points into it, as it only really comes up with reading signs and whatnot. There is exactly one practical use for the Reading skill, and it's a doozy; an endgame thing that's a ~secret~ that I'll just up and tell y'all later anyway that only requires reading skill and a complete disregard for the natural order.

Once you pick your stats, you get the personalization screen:

You can change your name, gender, and background here. Changing your background randomizes your deity, as I've only just discovered. Pressing enter starts the adventure!

Up to the left is a series of notable locations, ordered by proximity. Asterisks instead of a direction indicates that you're on that location currently. At the bottom is your equipment and your current speed; you can change your equipment by looking at your (i)nventory and your speed by checking the (S)neaking menu which also lets you sneak. You can move around with the arrow keys or the number keys, and your character will generally not move in a dangerous direction (such as into water or open air) unless you explicitly tell them to using the Alt key. You can climb a surface by (h)olding it or (j)ump across gaps, thanks to DF2014's massive additions to Adventurer Mode. If you walk off a ledge, you'll be given the option to grab onto the wall to try to break your fall. It's important to note that if you're moving oddly, such as through z levels or while climbing, you'll be given a menu of places to move that may be several pages long.

You can attack by walking into something, and specify attacks and wrestling moves (as well as attacking friendlies) with capital A. Doing so will give you a list of attack methods and locations, as well as the likely outcomes of each.

You have a few things to pay attention to in order to make sure you don't randomly die, this includes hunger, thirst, and fatigue. You'll need to sleep to ward off fatigue, and you can eat something with e. You can drink pretty much anything from pretty much anywhere, and different sources will quench your thirst by different amounts. Important Note: You can only consume three things at a time, with a long wait in between. This is a combination of eating and drinking. Make sure you carry around food and water, and always pay attention to the severity level of your hunger/thirst! Another important note: You can butcher an animal you've killed through the crafting menu, x. You can also make sharp rocks for throwing weapons, and now, with 2014, you can spit at people!

To get quests and other nonsense, you'll want to tal(k) with people, the system for which got a huge exciting overhaul! Yell across the room to the nearest person you see to bother them about random crap. The conversation system, instead of bringing you to a new menu with several persistent conversation trees, now occurs in real-time; you exchange lines of conversation, initiated by pressing k each line, which will ask you if you're starting a new conversation or continuing the old, which leads to more menus.

There's a lot of options here! I'll get to them all in a later post, but the important ones are inquiring about troubles, asking them to join you, and asking for shelter for the night. Inquiring about troubles gets you stuff to kill, which gets you quests, completing them gets you fame which gives you more quests and more followers.

I'm going to start wrapping this first section up by talking about nighttime and companions, because there's a very critical piece of information here for people just getting started with adventurer mode.

You'll notice that most people greet you by admonishing you for travelling alone. If you're out and about at night, alone, you'll be attacked by a small horde of boogeymen; cackling, pointy humanoids that want to kill you for no reason. They'll only attack outdoors, at night, when you have no companions. They're kind of a bitch, too. You can ask to spend the night at someone's home (I've never had someone deny this so I don't think it's possible), or you can get yourself a companion.

You can ask anyone to join you, but most will deny. Look for NPCs with military titles, who will be more than happy to follow you to death or glory. They'll follow you or guide you to places, getting in fights with stuff you attack and also any and all wildlife you come across. They'll generally sneak and fast travel with you, too. It's usually a good idea to cart around a companion just to ward off boogeymen, at least unless you can for sure get to a safe place each night or are tough enough to ward them off.

Lastly, let's take a look at this fancy mofo:

That's right, it's the Fast Travel Interface! You can fast travel from non hostile places by hitting T. That @ in the middle is you, you can see we're on the outskirts of some town or another. That gray bar at the top is the time, and the circle in the right of it represents the sun. You can hit Q to get to the Log, which also got a huge overhaul. It shows a more zoomed out map, and keeps a record of the people and places you know about, the quests you've received (!!!and their locations!!!), and a bestiary of the local wildlife.

You can't fast travel over everything, and you can be ambushed while traveling. Note also that you can't see the sun while it's cloudy.

I'll get more in depth with skills, combat, what there is to do in the world, etc in later posts, but for now, this is basically what you need to know to get out and start murdering. Grab a quest, grab a companion or two, sneak around the town for forty laps till you're invisible and then go get killed by an angsty weremammoth!

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Found out what was happening with that wagon collapsing thing! Didn't have anything to do with the corpse pile at all; it was due to having more than one depot. Carts would go one way, pack animals to another, and then when they tried to unload a wagon it fell apart and they just up and "it was inevitable" and left.

Then the human diplomat showed up, exchanged pleasantries, and then went on a two hour rant listing off every settlement that had been razed by a goblin horde called "The Big Doom". I guess the Invaders Always Win thing hasn't been fixed yet?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

necrotic posted:

Pretty sure it was fixed...

Oh well that's good. Although I guess it does mean there's some goblin army out there big enough to seriously worry about making its way here.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

If it was his first visit he was probably telling you about every big conflict his civilization has ever had. They don't seem to filter "news" down to just things that have happened recently. Next year's report should be better.

Oh, no, the reports have been steadily getting worse and worse each year.

Ghostwoods posted:

Great piece on adventurer mode, Jothan. Might be time to give it another go!

Well hey thanks! Also if you haven't played since the new version definitely give it a look! There was some really incredible stuff added. Speaking of which guess what time it is

Adventurer Mode: Things to do, People to yell at, and Killing in General

So like any good roguelike there are a massive number of possible commands to input at any given moment. Hitting z shows your status, and a shows announcements, similar to fort mode. You've got your standard movement, ascend/descend with </>, that you'll see in other roguelikes. If the game isn't letting you move, use Alt and a direction to leap right off that cliff anyway. If you want to wait, use comma to wait one time iteration and a period to wait 10. Jump with j and climb with h to get in on that new DF2014 magic.

A lowercase s stands or lies down, which is important for the many many times you'll be knocked on your rear end and also if you'd like to move past someone, you'll need to crawl.

Capital S and m change how you move; the m menu changes your swimming preferences and the S menu allows you to change speeds and sneak around. When you sneak, the UI changes a bit:

Ok admittedly that is kinda hard to see but fortunately the power just went out so in rebuilding this post I have the opportunity to change the tileset!

Much better! So as you can see here you now know where creatures are actually looking, and roughly the chances of being spotted depending on where you stand! Yellow means they might see you, Red means they will. Being spotted no longer forcibly ejects you from sneaking, and you're still invisible to other creatures. If I was spotted by bro Atek here, it would make him mildly uncomfortable.

Your movement rates, changeable in the S menu, are also affected by your Ambush skill while sneaking: while moving faster than walking you get both a movement and a stealth penalty, both of which are reduced by a high Ambush skill.

Speaking of which, you may have thought that selecting a movement speed means that's how fast you go. Almost! Toady's gone and implemented a system of inertia. When you move at a rate past "Jog" your speed indicator changes to show your current speed, your max speed, and the direction you are moving. Moving in the same direction repeatedly increases your speed. This also affects your jumping ability; behold:

That's what it would look like if you attempted a standing jump; we're currently under the cursor, the red X, and the green squares are where we can hop to. Not very impressive. Now let's try with a running start (and a short break to get rid of the "tired" status reducing our max speed):

That's more like it! We have a much greater range to our jump, but we can only go in the general direction we were sprinting. The speed indicator is just a number and a direction, signifying we can't sprint any faster. One more thing to note is that sprinting everywhere will make you tired, and then unconscious, very fast.

In a move completely counter to dwarf fort standards, look is with the l key instead of k. Use this to get a cursor to gawk at things. Capitalizing it will make you search carefully around you, to find tracks or traps or possibly small bugs. Hitting k will talk to people, but K will look for tracks. Tracks found will display on the map normally, which you can then look at with l, and hitting Alt-k will search for tracks directly beneath you.

Hitting D will give you the current date, T the current temperature, W will check the weather and estimate the time of day, and o will give you the present odor. No, really.

Capital Z will have you rest or sleep, for a duration of your choosing, and you use e to eat. The u key is context-sensitive, you can use it to interact with some nearby device such as a lever or a well. Try it when you don't know how to get something to work.

Let's take a look at the inventory: i views the inventory, g picks up an item (and also can be used to start a campfire), and d drops something from your hands. You can almost always hit g and pick up a small rock off the ground. Hitting q will sheathe or unsheathe your held weapon, and r will remove something from yourself or a container such as a backpack. Use p to put an item inside something, and w to wear an article of clothing.

That's the basics of inventory control, but management is a bit finicky. You'll probably want to know how to equip something; unlike armors which have a specific "wear" button, with weapons you just have to get it so you're "holding" it- if you have a free hand, picking something up will hold it. If you want to equip something from your pack, remove it with r and a free hand. Fun Fact for Cheaters: You can put some stuff in your hand even when it has something in it. Due to the way combat works, this doesn't let you equip ten swords in one hand and transform into a wereblender, but shields on the other hand, give you another block chance with every shield you hold. Grab as many shields as you can carry and still walk with! Become your own Spartan Phalanx. Never put them down.

Capital I (that's an i) is the advanced inventory button; you'll mostly use this to mess with your waterskin (filling it, defrosting, etc). If you'd like to do something with an item that isn't moving it around, try I and see what's available.

That's pretty much all of the basic things you can do at any given moment. Moving on, who's ready for some conversation topics? Let's take a look at a screen from the last post:

Most of these options are asking for information and are self-explanatory. Generally, hunting for quests involves gathering topics to ask about and then getting the details on it through other dialogue options. Let's try out inquiring about current troubles to get a list of what's available.

...huh. Also, you might have noted that our adventurer has a lot to say about luck! It's the sphere of the deity he worships, and it comes up a lot in his greetings. So anyway, now we have some new topics to ask about! Let's get in on that horror. Continuing the conversation with k brings us to a new menu to ask about these things; asking about bone-chilling horror just tells us that "there are foul goings-on over at the tower of Pickflashes", which isn't much, but that's another topic to ask about and we can now get directions to the place, or state an opinion. Asking for directions gets the place added to our quest log!

Before we head out on what sounds like quite an easy adventure, let's take a look at some other dialogue options. We can ask about rumors to spread information to NPCs much in the same way they do to you. They'll just inform you how terrifying it is, generally, but informing people about wandering monstrosities in turn gives you that monstrosity as a conversation topic, thus allowing you to (somehow) get more information on it!

There's a few general information topics, such as asking how the NPC is feeling about his job, or about the locals and surroundings, and even chatting about the weather. You can ask anyone to "Trade", they'll just direct you to a shopkeeper, but asking them to Exchange something will bring you to an informal trading window. You can make demands or try to claim the area for yourself, which has results depending on your fame, which you get from quests. Bragging about your past acts used to be the only way to spread news about quest completions, but the system's a bit smarter now and now it generates comments and not too much else. Lastly, you can accuse them of being a vampire, which has no effect if they aren't and immediately reveals them if they are! There's no downside to starting off every conversation with this accusation, unless you're too weak to actually take on a vampire in which case maybe not do that.

It looks like we're about ready to start our adventure! There's a couple things we can do to prepare before that though. First, we can try making some impromptu throwing weapons- grab two small rocks off the ground, then hold one in each hand, then hit x to get to the actions menu. For now, from here you can create a sharp rock, butcher a creature, or spit. hit c and then enter a few times to get a sharp rock, which hurts a little when thrown. Grab a few of these and practice throwing with t!

Next, we should probably grab a bro. Head over to anyone who looks military and see if they'll join up or at least guide you somewhere. Once you succeed, you can see them in the (c)ompanions menu. you can also try talking to them again to dismiss or try to trade with them.

So we've got our companion, we've got our map, let's go! Here's what our quest log looks like when we search for Pickflashes:

It's East! Pretty far, too; this is a zoomed out map. Fortunately, we can fast travel with T, but it's not too long before we run into a river; one of several things we can't travel over. It's worth noting that we can sneak while fast travelling, and lo and behold, when we stop to ford the river, we're still sneaking, and

HIPPOS.

Let's wrassle one.

Pictured, tactical stealth mechanics. I have a spear, but I'm actually trained in wrestling, which is great for the purposes of this example- We get to see the combat menu! We do that by hitting A and confirming with alt-y. This is here so you don't accidentally attack an NPC and kick off a world war. Now, we have the option of striking, wrestling, or dodging. Striking (which, unlike the Striking skill, deals with any and all blows) brings up this interface:

Handy. After selecting a hit location you get to choose what to hit with. If you didn't want to worry about this, moving toward something hostile randomly picks an attack. Choosing to wrestle instead of strike brings up a menu for what you want to grab with and what you want to grab. Dodging lets you choose a direction to flee to. For now, I'll demonstrate some combat by strangling a hippo. Remember- since DF2014, wrestling actions take time- you'll need to wait a little bit before your grab takes effect.

So as you might have guessed from the premise of "let's choke out a hippopotamus" that it was doomed from the start, but remember that having a hold on a creature lets you have easier strikes at it with other weapons, so even though it kicks us several times and flees we catch up to it and stab it in the head about a hundred times. We can then butcher it with x-b and a sharp item (such as a sharp rock!) to get a load of hippo parts.

If we wanted instead to take on our enemy with ranged weaponry, we could have used throwing weapons with t or shot a bow, crossbow, or other "firing" weapon with f. For ranged combat, you don't pick a hit location, just a general direction to fire in. That's not advisable with this case since hippos flee from you and if you want your kill you'll want to close the distance quick.

The last thing on combat for now is the Combat preferences menu, C.

Use this to change some defaults for your character's random motions in combat. You can choose to change your default random attack (letting the game choose, striking, charging, or wrestling which is listed as "close combat"), whether or not you will attempt a dodge, or how to react to an enemy charging (let the game choose, dodge, or take it in the face). To be honest, you mostly use this for training, but you may want to use it if you're dealing with terrain you don't want to move around on or if you only slightly care about how to attack an enemy, enough to warrant picking certain kinds of attacks and responses over others but not enough to use the full attack menu.

Most traveling, as here, is fairly uneventful. Sometimes you'll be ambushed, less so if you're sneaking and good at it. The fast travel screen will alert you to hunger, thirst, and drowsiness, and you won't have too much else to worry about with a companion. Remember to hunt occasionally for food and refill your waterskin from water sources with capital I. Rivers and mountains you'll have to slow travel, and your companions won't path through rivers so hope the fast travel picks them up!

Get closer to your goal by checking the quest log, and when you're on the tile in the log, look around the fast travel map. Sites will zoom the map in when you are close, and may won't let you travel through them.

We've made it! now to drop out of fast travel and clear this tower!

Let's go back into fast travel mode and get out of this tower!

Well, that's a little misleading. First you'll need to (S)print away from hostiles and the site before you can fast travel. Then you're in the clear!

Well, that was a bust, but that doesn't mean you can't conquer that tower! If you're looking for some easy questing, you can try literally anything but a necromancer's keep, but it's entirely possible to grind and/or irrevocably curse your character into world-conquering levels, and next time I get my poo poo together I'll go over how to do just that.

Jothan fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Tias posted:

I just had an idea for an RPG session while playing Kobold camp: Players play the part of kobolds defending a warren from heroes, using only bone shards, kobold ingenuity, leather, their own poo poo, and a psychoactive toad to defend their homes with!

I can't really make out of it's an excellent or horrible idea..

I've never played it myself but have you heard of "Kobolds Ate my Baby!"?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

nielsm posted:

Okay guides, but I think you're missing something important: Inventory management and item juggling.

Specifically picking things up, putting them in sacks and purses, free hands management, and putting on/taking off clothes and armor.
That's one of the extremely fiddly parts of DF adventure mode and I'll guess something that can seriously confuse new players.

Yeah, I suppose that could use more than the paragraph or so I put into it. In my defense I was writing that during a tornado warning and the power kept going out so at one point I really just wanted to be done with the post. I'll go back and edit a few things when I get the chance.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Edited that last post to make it better.

More like pay12games am I right

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
That patreon, wow. It hasn't even been a week yet. MEANWHILE

Adventurer Mode: Powergaming

(I should note here that this is going to be p boring; it's all on how to best repeat actions for profit)

my dad posted:

Swimming, making sharp rocks, and torturing small animals?

(and also brief)

Let me start off by saying that taking some time to grind out skills is a very necessary thing in adventurer mode. It spits you in the middle of a randomly generated world and will not attempt to scale any challenges you wander across to your level. It used to be that NPCs wouldn't tell you about the most dangerous quests until you reached a certain skill level, but that went out with the old conversation system.

With that said, grinding is fairly easy and straightforward, seeing as pretty much everything you do gets you experience in something. I'll try and put here a good idea of what trains what. First off, some stuff to make things easier-

Macros- Really useful in both dwarf fort modes, but not everyone knows how they work- you can use ctrl-r to start recording a set of keystrokes, then ctrl-r again to stop, setting it as your current macro. Ctrl-s saves your current macro under a name, which can be loaded as your current with ctrl-l. Ctrl-p plays through that macro once, if you hit ctrl-u, and a two-digit number, and then ctrl-p, it plays through that macro that many times. Currently, the only way to prematurely halt a macro is to lose window focus, so that's a good thing to remember in case something changes partway through your playback so you can get your dwarf out of that river before he throws away all his clothes, checks the announcement screen 30 times, and drowns. PLEASE NOTE that the repeat function can become unreliable and may skip commands

Combat Preferences- This menu, visible with C, changes your default combat actions when you are attacked or auto-attack. It's useful if you want to train specifically Armor Use or Dodge, or want to quickly train weapons or wrestling by moving toward a target instead of going through a five page menu.

So let's talk Fightin'.

Naturally, hitting things with a weapon trains that weapon skill. It also trains the catch-all Fighter skill, which gives a general boost to all melee, but doesn't contribute as much as that specific weapon skill does. You'll naturally train Fighter as you roam around and get other weapon skills, but if you want an early boost to it, follow these easy steps:

First, sneak around the woods until you find a small animal.

Oh hey it's a bird! even better! Once you're behind it, grab it. If you've been sneaking for a bit (or are an elf) it may not even notice.

Pictured: incredible stealth. This has trained our Fighter skill, you don't actually need to attack it. Still in stealth, you can repeatedly pick up a small animal and set it down repeatedly to have a source of wrestling training you don't have to keep hunting for. Killing things, really, is the biggest obstacle to training any fighting skill. You could go and try to track down a training weapon to use, instead, but this is more available.

We're not doing this here, though, because we hold within our collective hands a bird. Birds are great because they are both ineffectual and angry, and therefore can train our Armor skill! First, let's get a better grip on this thing. We're probably good with the one hold, but we can make more certain.

Yeah, sure. Once you have a secure grip on the eagle, change your dodge preferences to Stand Ground in your combat preferences, drop stealth, and wait.

As the eagle flips its poo poo, it'll train your armor skill, and your shield skill if you've got one equipped. Note that you can still train this with no armor, but you'll have the chance of an otherwise glancing blow puncturing a lung or something. Once you've gotten some decent protection, you have nothing to fear from wildlife such as this, and can sit and train while exerting no effort until hunger or exhaustion takes over.

You may be wondering why on earth you would go out and lift turtles or whatever when you could get more eventful training by going out and slaughtering Colossi, and the answer to that is that, One, this works well at early levels when most stuff you get sent out to kill can kill you, and Two, lifting a turtle gives you the same amount of experience as chokeslamming a Colossus. Anyway, if that's your way of thinking, go for it; this is the stat-grinding post, not the boss of you post.

That's the basics of hand-to-hand, and Archery isn't much different- shoot at stuff to get skill, doesn't matter if it hits. Since you don't actually need a target to train, the only thing holding you up here is ammo, but you can just pick up rocks off the ground for that. While we're here though, let's also take a look at how we can train Knapping. Knapping as a skill is only useful for making higher quality rocks, but making those rocks also increases your Spatial and Kinesthetic Sense and Willpower attributes, which both contribute to general combat, which is why, as my dad pointed out, it's such a common training method. We can easily set up a macro to make a sharp rock, then chuck it, to train several useful things at once. If you wanted to conserve your rocks (they're light and also pointy), throwing something at a surface at least one level above the ground (such as a tall wall or a tree) will guarantee that it survives the fall. If you don't care, though, just empty your hands, find a tile with a small rock, pick it up, and make this macro:

g
(select the rock, it won't change)
x
right
enter
enter
enter
t
(select rock)
(select direction)
enter

Note that picking up extra stuff will ruin this macro. Don't do that. Instead, ctrl-p forever. Lastly, as also mentioned and well known throughout the dwarf fortress adventurer mode skill grinding community, Swimming. Not only does swimming keep you from drowning, and is the only way to get to certain places, swimming trains several key attributes- Strength, Agility, Endurance, Willpower, Spacial Sense, and Kinesthetic Sense. This was a major factor in what made carp so dangerous; since they were always swimming, they were always getting stronger. Not only that, but Drowning (that is, swimming under 1 z of water or under a structure such as a bridge) trains Toughness, Endurance, and Recuperation.

Every other skill trains in understandable ways and does understandable things; it's a good idea to train up Climbing and Ambusher. Note that Observer is a great skill to have, but only trains when you spot hidden things- you can try finding a place with traps, locating them, and then waiting an hour to forget about them, but this only works if you can spot them in the first place. Other notes include Crutch Walker, which is very useful but only trains if you have a bum leg, and Dodge, which you can train by angering a predatory animal once you have good armor and setting your combat preferences to dodging always.

That's pretty much it, there's a few things you can do to your character to boost stats, even beyond the aforementioned attribute cap, and I originally wanted to talk about it in this section, but honestly it probably doesn't belong in a "how to play the game" kind of thing. If anyone wants to see other parts of adventurer mode though I'll see if I can show it off but this is the basics! Have fun tracking down your last ruined fortress and descending into hell!

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Zereth posted:

Many version ago I remember finding a zombie, breaking all its limbs, and then choking it until you got really tired being a good way to train Wrestling.

I don't think this works very well anymore because undead are now crazy strong.

If you can remove all forms of attack from it via dismemberment it is a great way to train wrestling as it won't die from the many forms of attack wrestling offers, which means instead of repeatedly using specific moves on it (such as grabbing and releasing, or choking) you can just set your combat prefs to close combat and hold a direction toward it for incredibly fast repeated wrestling attacks. There's a few non-zombie creatures you can pull this off with; just make sure they neither breathe nor bleed, like crabs.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Zereth posted:

I'm not sure the version I did that in had that option, but I just set up a chokehold and held towards it. Resulted in it just trying to choke it forever or until it somehow broke a hold.

And I think it's the "all forms of attack" that's the sticking point, I'm not sure there's an easy to way to remove a zombie's bite attack unlike breaking all its joints for limb-based ones.

Zombies can still be beheaded and live, if you use a cutting weapon and do not bash the head in.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I've been inspired to go into adventure mode again thanks to these posts.

One question: My companion constantly tells me about poo poo I can go kill(rocs,hydras, armies, bandits, etc). Ending the conversation doesn't help. Is this A Thing now, or did I just happen to get a guy who really wants to make sure I know about every :iit: thing on the planet?

Great to hear! Also, yes; if you walk around town you'll overhear people telling each other these things too; it's not so much that they're warning you about stuff that it is small talk, apparently.

Pickled Tink posted:

You left out an important note about combat training. The material and quality of your weapon have an effect on how quickly you will learn. Better weapons slow learning down.

This was mentioned, briefly, but it does bear repeating! If you want to train a specific weapon you can up this faster if you find a really crappy one and/or wail on a sponge or something. Also, something I forgot to mention is that it's a good idea to train up wrestling and at least one weapon skill; grabbing a dude by the throat and going all out with a battleaxe is just as effective as it sounds.

(thank you also for your contributions to dragon-pummeling science)

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Haifisch posted:

More adventure mode questions: Is the aggro system borked? I tracked down a vampire mentioned by one of my companions, accused her of being a night creature, she gave her speech, drew her knife...and then she just stood there. Accusing her again just had her spit at me*. Waiting around saw nothing happen. I vaguely recall that in past versions, uncovering a vampire had them attacking you right away.

Trying to attack her forced me to confirm with alt-y, although when I did attack her, nobody around seemed to care. But after I killed her, the nearby guards & my companions seemed to think I was an unhinged killer because of it. (Including the one that told me she was a vampire in the first place...)

*PROTIP: For free dodging training, find someone who'll spit at you repeatedly. Dodging out of the way of spit counts just as much as dodging actual attacks.

Yup. They have a for a while. They're also one of the few things where using bins doesn't cause massive job cancellation spam.

You now have to alt-y against anything not currently assaulting you. I have no idea why she didn't attack you, but the people freaking out weren't freaking out because they think you just up and killed someone, it's because someone died in front of them. So, yes. The aggro system is a little funky, but i don't think you've gone and made any enemies for that.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

:frog: posted:

Well, that's it. I'm excited to see some of these new social interactions. :holy:

I can't begin to express how excited I am to watch this develop. It's incredible watching an RNG spit out a setting that lives in this detail.

plscks posted:

What other cool stuff can I do? How else can I power myself up quickly other than by throwing stuff and grappling the local wildlife?

Swimmin' and elf weaponry. Swimming still seems to be the biggest attribute booster, followed closely by drowning, and it looks like after some experimentation that climbing will train focus which will make it into that last post if I can confirm it. (Said experimentation was me falling down a hole and only managing to climb out after gaining 8 levels of climb, and then noticing I'd gained like two levels of focus)

If you want to get way stronger there's some incredibly overpowered goodies you can get your hands on if you want to raid a Tower or if you're feeling particularily suicidal a Vault. These are serious endgame things though and for that and other reasons you shouldn't do either of those until you're done grinding. They'll kill you very easily at any level in a game well known for how easily you die.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

Come now, there's no need for spoilers. The first thing we do with every release is chop it in half and look for new poo poo in the spilled guts.

Oh, sweet. In that case, for anyone who doesn't know, if you shove a necromancer into a locker and steal his book and read it (so far the one useful application of the reader skill) you become a necromancer, which means you no longer need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and you can raise 10 undead per turn for free forever. Some of your attributes also shoot up, but then you can no longer train them. There's a few other night creatures you can turn into for various benefits which all come with a huge attr gain and then the cap.

I have not personally been to a vault but I do know that it contains a horde of angels, far and away the most powerful entities in the game, and a slab containing a demon's true name (which probably also requires the reading skill but I haven't checked for myself).

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Mygna posted:

I just spent a couple hours grinding all the combat skills on my adventurer to legendary so I could completely exterminate a necromancer's tower and read 'The Unabridged Immortality' to turn into one myself, before storming the Vault of the God of Chaos and War and slaughtering the mighty Doom of Iskak!

Then I dodged off some stairs and instantly died five tiles from the slab.

That... is a surprisingly relevant title.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is a fantastic write up Jothan and should be in the OP if not the wiki.

Thanks!

scamtank posted:

I've linked the posts under the Adventure Mode headline for now. Also stuck some links at the very top of the OP so you don't have to scroll through 800 miles of me and Bad Munki to find it.

Also thanks!

Toady One posted:

It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit. We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait.

So we could be seeing bugged out demon adventurer visitors without a several year wait? Awesome!

Tias posted:

Seriously, anyone know what is going on here? It's driving me nuts:

No, no, you had it figh the first time. Cursed by gypsies.

If you want to see if it's dwarven luck or your just your copy, try grabbing a world seed or other parameters from somewhere and seeing if similar antics arise.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

BANG BANG BANG OPEN UP THIS IS THE TOAD POLICE

Toady One posted:

(as I did with my miner, who immediately started pondering whether probing would make a good surgical technique).
No fooling, this is neat and rad as all hell.

"Surgery is basically just like mining, right?"

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Met posted:

Dual wielding weapons is useless, I believe. I don't know if there's a benefit to having multiple shields.

Dual weapons just lets you have more options as to what to spend your turn doing. Dual (and up) shields continues to up your block chance, unless that got changed this update. Find a way to take care of your speed and then by all means, cosplay a pangolin- you can hold an entirely unreasonable amount of shields in each hand.

edit:

my dad posted:

It's not. In the Dwarf Fortress Arena Tournament thread it was discovered that an extra weapon massively increase parry chances and the number of possible opportunity strikes. Extra shields also help.

Oh, neat.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Meanwhile, in the old version, I'm here noticing a lot of "X cancels Y: Interrupted by manager" spam. Like, I get the amusing workplace commentary the game is trying to make, here, but I don't really see why the game would be causing this, until I get a death notice and check the announcements.

Whoooooops.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Met posted:

This came up earlier:

But I don't think anyone has a solution other than cutting the tree for now. I think this qualifies for a bug report.

My solution has always been to first build a wall below the dwarf, then cut the tree. Then build a ramp to the wall, since I keep forgetting to try to just build a ramp up to the dwarf and seeing if that works.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

RedTonic posted:

So the human law-giver came to visit my new baron... Turns out it's a vampire. Should I liberate humankind from the undead yoke?

Once in adventurer mode I came across a human city with a demon law-giver impersonating a diety, so I decided to help out and promptly got in a knife fight with it that lasted two hours. Then I got mobbed by angry citizens and died. The moral is, never "help".

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Elth posted:

I definitely remember a story about a tiger man mayor from before the tavern update. Tame intelligent animals would wander around meeting zones like stray animals, but could socialize and qualify for elected positions. I don't think I've seen an animal person monarch yet though.

This was because elves couldn't tell the difference between tigers and tiger men, and would happily trade you one for an assortment of socks and mechanisms. They'd then "join" your fort as a citizen, as all pets and livestock do, and since they had the necessary tags for it, could hold office.

They couldn't be assigned jobs, but they could socialize as you've said, so they'd just hang around the dinner table campaigning driving up their social skills and relationships to absurd levels.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/820824730001248256

oh no am I too late for a Dwarf Fortress: Procedurally Generated Smartasses joke

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

I'm 95% sure that was completely made up, and 5% sure the user just massively misread the situation.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Yeah I don't think that's how the feature works but Toady is definitely missing a trick by not having implemented it that way.

Diagnosis skill level only determines the time taken, yeah; and on the one hand, while I'd love to one day open up a dedicated Healthcare Log page and read out a procedurally generated transcript of 'House, But With Dwarves', if misdiagnosis got implemented I would probably never assign a doctor ever again.

Not sure how the current dwarf surgery system actually reacts to rotting organs, but if there's a single bit of truth to that post it's that the dwarf actually had rotting lungs and the player didn't realize it.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

By the time I succumb to FPS death I'm usually bored of the fort anyway.

Live fast, die young, leave a pretty fort; that's what I always say.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Any'all take a crack at fixing Dwarf Therapist's code? Ideas on what's breaking? I see it's got x64 memory locations already packaged in the v43 LNP, so I'm going to take a look but if y'all have advice I'd appreciate it.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Whoops there was a functioning version of Therapist for 0.43 under Windows all along

Kennel posted:

An elf poet wrote an essay named "Loz Searchedchampion, my love". It's a story about minotaur Loz Searchedchampion who attacked him when he was a baby.

:(

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
This is really a question for the lp forum, which has the people we're trying to write dorf fiction at, and not here, with the dorf fiction writers. That way, when inevitably no one likes whatever the tile/text decision is, we can just blame the sandcastle thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading a book on new media theory and the authors argue for new forms of art that emphasize the procedural and technical (rather than the literary or visual, for example). For me that's what Dwarf Fortress is. Armok is an authentic vision of god as an uncaring random number generator lording over a world characterized by random violence, fuckups and the pleasure of repeatedly loving up.

DF had an exhibit in New York’s Museum of Modern Art for a bit.