Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hmm looks like my prediction that the Red Bulls would be around 5th and 6th and the Williams wont be anywhere near the top is going to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Daveh posted:

I've just done my first race of the year betting spree. Nothing with really silly odds either way:
  • Kimi to lead at the end of lap 1 @ 25/1
  • Magnussen to finish on the podium @ 5/1
  • Jenson to win @ 11/1
  • Kobayashi first to retire @ 12/1
  • Qualifying Result: P1 Ham, P2 Alo @ 18/1

You know if you just want to throw money away you can chuck it at me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Didnt realise that Hamilton lost about 3 tenths on his pole lap. Those mercs are seriously quick.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

uXs posted:

I'm worried. The Red Bull was supposed to be total poo poo but now there is one on the front row?

Rosberg missed out on another lap by going off and costing himself a second on his last lap, which still put him 3rd on the grid. Hamilton also lost about 3 tenths by deciding to drift around a corner. The Red Bulls will go backwards.

front wing flexing posted:

Three out of four redbull championships happened with cars almost 20% down on straight line speed. I'm not saying that's gonna happen this year (unlikely it seems) but it's something to keep in mind.

iirc, the Red Bulls were always slower than the other 'front' running cars, but it was usually by 7-10km/h. No-where near the 15-20 that we've seen spoken about in testing. Albert Park is a relatively slow circuit, I bet when they get to China and Malaysia you'll see the Renault Engine cars really really struggle.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Has Hamilton got a problem?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hamilton using pure rage to fix his car

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Laaaaame

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lol vettel is such a whiny bitch

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh bottas. Loved that you could hear that puncture

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is a great race

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm totally okay with Rosberg winning everything

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bottas Gonna run out of fuel

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That Mercedes is so quick

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did Riccardo just say he was tripping balls?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres a very easy joke to make about Kobayashi being the first F1 driver to get points on their licence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I really wish they'd stop bringing up Buttons dead dad in every one of his interviews.

Although I do like that almost everyone is wearing a pink shirt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Look, I know I only JUST started trying to follow the sport, but being disqualified for using too much fuel? That's bullshit. Using extra fuel required you to have more weight in your car and run the risk of having extra pit stops. Why limit how much fuel somebody could use?

Dont make posts like this if you dont understand the sport.

Red Bull were cheating, they were warned they were above the limit, but instead of turning the engine down and letting the Mclarens overtake Riccardio, they decided to ignore the warning and carried on. Now they've been disqualified.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sulman posted:

Was this what Montezemolo was alluding to earlier in the week? Have other teams known RBR planned to flout the meter?

The FIA knew Red Bull were ignoring their meter which is why they gave them a 'friendly' warning during the race. Red Bull ignored it.

Feel really bad about Hamilton and I'm sure red bull cheated but I feel bad for Ricciardo as a person, I really like that dude.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with everything and I'm pretty optimistic about this season.

I can see where you're coming with about Ricciardo, I quite like the guy. However you have to think that the Red Bull was going faster than it should have been legal to. Explains how he suddenly pulled away from Magnusson in the last few laps.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Yeah, I agree, it seems to be a legit and fair penalty. Still feel bad for him though. I feel really bad for Australian fans too, that's gotta sting.

The majority of them will still think hes come 2nd until they get home so they'll have had a great day tbh.

But still, it just reeks of Red Bull thinking they can flout the rules again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Linedance posted:

one thing I caught in the commentary, Kvyat is now the youngest point scorer in F1, beating Sebastian Vettel's record. That's one Vettel won't get back.

I was a little unsure whether the new engine noises would be sufficient to lull me to sleep, but since I drifted off roughly mid race and woke up 3 laps from the end, I guess not much has changed there!

I had zero problems with the sound. I actually really enjoyed being able to not only hear the drivers nice and clearly, but also hear the lock ups, the puncture that Bottas had, and all the tyre squealing as they left the pits.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They reckon only Canada is a real problem for the fuel because of its high speed straights then slow speed corners means they'll burn a lot more fuel due to the constant hard acceleration. Tilkedromes will be easy on the fuel tank.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah if all the other teams were ignoring the sensor which, according to Horner, they all say doesnt work then they might have a leg to stand on. The fact they followed the rules and Red Bull decided they didnt have to is what will get them hosed over.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

willcrouch posted:

I feel like RedBull is just going :spergin: "Our numbers are right, gently caress everyone, you can't make me, its my championship toy"

What they're basically saying is that the FIA test isnt accurate enough so they wont use it. Yet all their championship winning cars exploit the FIA tests not being accurate enough to 'cheat'.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh ho ho ho. It sounds like the Red Bull might be doing something naughty with its engine judging by the coy responses from the journo's about them protesting this decision.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ukle posted:

And so far she seems bloody good at it given the reason why there are so good this year is largely down to her changes.

There was a good interview with her on sky before the race about how she spent most of last season just trying to keep the teams heads up and how this is a massive reward for all the effort they put in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

chyaroh posted:

The team radio message to Magnusson with about 4-5 laps to go was to turn down to a more fuel saving setting, and to give it everything with 2 laps to go. It didn't work as BLDR gapped him far enough in those laps that Magnusson had no chance to get back within DRS and get by.

He only gapped him because he didnt have to turn his engine down to conserve fuel. Which is my point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pycckuu posted:

They are faster than my riced up Civic but I'm not sure that they are Forumla 1 fast.

Here are some fastest lap times for you from 2013 GP:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/17/2013-australian-grand-prix-lap-times-fastest-laps/

And here is 2014:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/2014-australian-grand-prix-lap-times-fastest-laps/

You will notice that Maldonado's slowest fastest lap in 2013 would've been good enough for 5th place this year. The first place difference is over 3 seconds which is huge in racing.

The V8's? Yeah they're slow compared to the 2004 cars. They just sent me straight to sleep.

2004 Fastest lap: 1:24.125

2013 Fastest Lap: 1:29.274

Dont post about things you know nothing about.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 17, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The DRS zones in Australia are far too short, and with the cars squirrelling all over the road in turn 2 they werent able to stamp on the power enough to make the 2nd one count.

Also making the DRS driver controlled would be insane. The point of only allowing it on certain points is to stop idiot drivers opening it in the middle of a corner and flying off into the stands when they lose all rear downforce.

Pycckuu posted:

Hey man, I'm sorry for not liking something and expressing my ignorant opinion. There is no need for derriere damaged posting.

You're posting that cars being slower than a previous engine spec is awful. When in fact its no different to previous times. These turbo cars will be faster than the 2013 cars by the end of the season so basically your argument is 'The cars dont sound like they're going fast so they're slow'. Which makes you sound ignorant or an idiot. Either way you shouldnt be stomping into a thread to tell us how its awful and we shouldnt enjoy it.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 17, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that F1 cars have initially gotten slower with pretty much every major rule change (banning ground effects, banning turbo, grooved slicks, the 2009 aero changes, the current turbo units), so complaining about it is really silly. The cars will almost certainly be matching and beating last year's lap times by the end of the year.

They'll annihilate last years Monza times.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sulman posted:

It is thoroughly depressing reading James Allen's comments because there's so many people saying 'the cars are so slow this year' I just want to tear my loving hair out

Its just people who didnt watch the race/dont understand racing just parroting what they've read on shite american sports websites.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sulman posted:

I do love these outraged-of-Tunbridge-Wells comments:

Literally none of that happened. None of it.

This, this is the level of idiocy. That person has absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There are people in the comments bemoaning that the cars were 'coasting through corners' to save fuel.

They havent got a loving scooby.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The artificial rev limit will alter between tracks too. The fuel economy of a track like say, Shanghai is much better than Albert park so they'll be able to wring more power and rev range out of it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Brainwrong posted:

I hope it pisses it down in Malaysia. The cars looked twitchy in the dry, in a Malaysian downpour they are going to be hilarious

Malaysia has that real nice turn 7-8 combo where they usually took turn 8 flat out. Theres going to be some accidents there even in the dry.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm betting that all those who are saying the noise isn't a big deal, has never gone to an F1 race and heard the full grid scream past on the first lap.

If you had, then you would be sad to never hear that sound again.

The V8's were a neutered abomination compared to the V10's but I didnt spit my dummy out when they shifted down then.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Whitey Ford posted:

I wouldn't watch top fuel in person if they ran quietly.

For marketing and excitement purposes, yes the "spectacle" has changed but I don't watch F1 for the spectacle, I watch it for the between race drama.

Thankfully Renault and RBR are knocking it out of the park this year. DNF and DSQ, good job high five.

Marketing wise what makes tv viewers watch is far more important than people going to the tracks, and the new engines meaning far more interesting sounds can be heard makes that more attractive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barnsy posted:

The issue here is that, while F1 gets the majority of its money from TV advertising/sponsorship, the race tracks themselves depend on good showings from the public. Unfortunately I'm sure Bernie will have to cave in and make them noisier, even if the majority of TV viewers really like the current setup.

Lets just see if people actually stop going to watch F1 races before we all poo poo our pants about the (lack of) noise driving people away.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
F1 should always be about the most cutting edge engine tech in the world. To me they should be the people that design everything and then it filters down to the road cars. ABS, Active suspension etc all came from F1 and are now in pretty much every car going.

The fact that they've made a car that can go those speeds, using only a 1.6 litre engine and 100kg's of fuel is an engineering marvel.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope red bull gently caress off and take their other team with them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Red bull have 0 fans that wouldnt flock to the next team that win everything and they deserve to be laughed out of that appeals room.

• Locked thread