Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Looking forward to waking up tomorrow and leisurely watching cars go 'vroom'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Great quali, lots of drama, should be interesting seeing Vettel trying to charge through the field (cue calls of 'Vettel can't pass').

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Really sucks for RIC but I suppose his first race with the team is a good time to hear the 'we are all a team, and the team let you down' talk. I thought it was a really good race though, the highlight being BOT of course.

That's funny about Melbourne thinking about suing for breach of contract, but if they're serious I can imagine a typical Aussie response of 'get hosed' would be in order. What a ridiculous thing to sue for. Bernie should organize the Formula E races at the F1 events so any moany fans can hear what REAL quiet cars are like.

JunkDeluxe posted:

Give us your women and your trophies!

:denmark:

Vikings never had horns on their helmets :colbert:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pycckuu posted:

They are faster than my riced up Civic but I'm not sure that they are Forumla 1 fast.

Here are some fastest lap times for you from 2013 GP:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/17/2013-australian-grand-prix-lap-times-fastest-laps/

And here is 2014:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/2014-australian-grand-prix-lap-times-fastest-laps/

You will notice that Maldonado's slowest fastest lap in 2013 would've been good enough for 5th place this year. The first place difference is over 3 seconds which is huge in racing.

How long have you been watching F1? This happens every time there's a formula change, and this is the biggest we've seen in ever. The engine and aero guys will get back most of the speed loss by the end of the year.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

El Hefe posted:

Who cares about lap times, I only care about the sound coming out of the tiny speakers of my 32" TV and currently it sounds like poo poo :colbert:

Let me share one word with you: surround sound 7.1 speaker system.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

CratSock posted:

Don't worry, sound-sensitive people. It looks like there's still a place for you. They even have lovely custom speaker graphics with arbitrarily moving graphic EQ. It should be just the thing to make your day. VRRRROOOMM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1G5OrcwUw

E: ^^^ Awesome shots, Spedman.

Jesus Christ that 'Digger Cam' makes me ashamed to be American. It's literally worse than Rush Limbaugh and all of the GOP put together.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Put me in the 2009- column...I appreciate the aero mastery of the 2008 and earlier cars, especially when looking at them up close, but there's just so much going on.

And I liked the wheel covers, although I never like how Ferrari started the trend after they got Renault's mass dampers banned as 'moveable aerodynamic devices'.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Depends if you've smelled buckets of vomited-up Red Bull & vodka.

The Vettel/Horner/Red Bull hate circlejerk is overwhelming in here, ffs

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Wirth1000 posted:

Lee was robbed when they brought in Suzi Perry. Anyone who watched the BBC MotoGP coverage already knew she was quite awful at it.

IIRC Lee said she didn't want to present the show, but maybe that was a statement for the public?

I don't really like or hate DC as a commentator, but he's better than Brundle and the Sky gang with their 'back in my day' story every 2 minutes. I've grown to be meh about Lazenby, and who even remembers what his Princess Grace comment was anyway? Who's Princess Grace? Plus Ted is better at what he does than BBC's Ted.

e: but about the race, it was watchable enough. Rain would have made it a little more exciting but the crowning moment was 'Botta is faster than you' - did Massa's engineer think of NO other way to phrase that? And Claire William's backpedaling under Ted's questioning was interesting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Jedit posted:

Lazenby's comment was about how there were a lot of winding roads in Monaco and you could ask Grace Kelly about them. Grace Kelly, AKA Princess Grace of Monaco, died in 1982 when she crashed her car after suffering a stroke while driving. Her 17 year old daughter Stephanie was in the car with her at the time. So gently caress Lazenby with a trowel.
What, too soon? That was 31 years ago. Everyone on the all the commentary teams have made off-color comments at one point or another. Brundle with his 'pikey' comment to Bernie (as if travellers will complain about something on an F1 broadcast), Coulthard (when he was driving) play-tweaking the ITV lady's nipple, EJ..., it happens.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In between talk of fuel filters and protests, I went to Silverstone last week and spent much of the day in the International Paddocks and 'the Wing': photo album link

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

El Hefe posted:

Hey krushgroove do they have race cars you can rent to race there or do you have to take your own? And how much does it cost?

Like the Nurburgring there are companies that do nothing but have track-day cars and single-seaters you can drive after a training session, the cars in the pits were there for a testing day for saloon and sports cars, that's why there's a mix of Fiestas and Ferraris and Caterhams. I don't know how much a track day or a test session would cost though, probably a few hundred £££ for a full track day leading up to a single-seater or a Ferrari. And I'd guess close to that to rent out the paddock area for the day if you're a real racer, but you'd have fuel and tires to buy as well.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's a pic in the album of an old MR2, it was almost certainly the oldest car there (although there were some Mk1 MX-5's running as well).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Nice piece from Sky about the split-up turbo system Mercedes have got.

BBC probably don't have a stream, they are only doing highlights for this race, I think they start at 8PM tonight and 10PM tomorrow

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Mark Hughes explained on Sky that after the customer teams signed their contracts the specifics of the engines were given to them, but Mercedes had already been designing their car packaging around the the split unit, so their packaging is tighter (they have 2 bulges at the rear purely to satisfy the width minimums), they have better aero and they have better turbo power. Williams, McLaren and FI have had several months less time to work on the same areas, so (my guess) they will probably might get some of the benefits in these areas that Mercedes already have. But the other teams would have to completely redesign everything they have to get the same benefits.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Jesus, VET and RIC gonna start 11th and 13th.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Alonso must be hatin' it right now. Starting just ahead of Vettel - will be interesting to see them start.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
'confirmed' meaning they've probably given Berni money to be considered, they still have to be accepted by the FIA, make a car, have it tested, build a team, get drivers, etc. We're a long way from having them confirmed for anything.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Best Bore-ain ever!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Lewis and Nico definitely like each other, and really like racing each other.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thank you, yes it was wheel to wheel only, I was getting annoyed as Croft and Brundle continuing to think it was the nose even after repeated replays during the race.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If you want deafeningly loud engines, watch NASCAR or Top Fuel dragsters. I'm annoyed at this knee-jerk reaction to the noise 'problem'.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Whitey Ford posted:

I would not watch Top Fuel at the track if it was quiet. That is seriously 9/10ths of the appeal. The sound compresses your chest and shakes your whole body. It's unadulterated shock and awe.
I agree - the noise is awesome, just not in a way I'd want to hear constantly.

quote:

So why the gently caress is it so taboo to say "hey I liked watching those F1 cars scream around a track"
It's not taboo, everyone has their opinion on what they like and don't like. That's fine. What is taboo is changing things in this manner, after only 3 races into a brand new style of F1, just because some old guys don't like too much change too quickly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

gret posted:

If anything, making the engines artificially louder is even more lame than having quiet engines in the first place.

This right here. Plus, we already know what they sound like 'naturally' - adding trumpets and things purely to up the noise level just smacks of silliness. Race promoters and trackside fans should be happy they're present and presiding over the dawn of a new era, not immediately pining for the 'good old days'.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

darth cookie posted:

I like Stefano. :sigh:

But that's the problem. He's too affable, when what Ferrari needs is a bastard.

I agree on both counts. And it's interesting to see how the Italian mentality is playing out here. I was surprised to hear that the CEO of their North American operations is going to take over, and then even more surprised that Domenicalli was an HR & admin guy before running their F1 team, Ferrari's top tier publicity campaign.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Shimrod posted:

Pretty sure there's a quote from earlier this year where one of the Top Gear producers said that the show is more about giving people a laugh than anything.

Anyone who actually watches Top Gear for car reviews is watching TV wrong.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cue another dozen or so years of Ferrari doldrums...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well nothing will beat Bahrain 2014 but that race was alright. The start and Vettel's radio were the highlights really.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What is the Mercedes reliability like in the first year of a new formula? Like 2009, etc? That can help predict how they'll do this year.

Also Nico must be rue the fact that last year was his year for the Merc, and this time around it was designed for both him and Lewis.

4 races in is too early to call anything but I think we should get used to Lewis winning most or all of the next several races. Also both Red Bulls finished the race, and both Lotus cars nearly finished, so they must be progressing well with the Renault engine. And the Red Bulls will definitely be getting some big updates really soon.

I think it was Brundle that said Mercedes is probably at or near their pinnacle of technology right now, so they'll quickly be at the point of marginal returns with their manpower, money and time, so we can probably expect to see the other top teams start to catch them, at least by the halfway point of the season, if not sooner.
I'm hoping it's not a runaway for Lewis, otherwise we'll get the whole Vettel-hate transferred wholesale to Lewis except it'll be worse the second time around.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
71 new posts, thought something had happened...but no, more 'Vettel is poo poo' circlejerking...

What happened, Worst Thread?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Eb posted:

Nah it's flipped, I tracked down the original

Holy poo poo. Can I use this as my new avatar?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Eb posted:

Hey, knock yourself out.

Awesome. Finally got rid of that animated GIF

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Schumacher is apparently conscious at various times and recognizes his wife. Saw this on a non-F1 site but hopefully it'll be verified and picked up soon by the sports media.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Panorama was pretty damning on Bernie last night. Did anyone else see it? I will be very surprised if he gets off this current court case. However... money talks I guess.
Still, was good to see our Murray again. Hanging in there the old fella'

Yeah it's not looking good, if Bernie gets out of this it'll be a major victory. And OF COURSE it was Eddie Irvine as the only F1 person willing to talk.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thegasman2000 posted:

Talking of hanging in there is old sterling moss still kicking? Last I remember hearing of him was he broke both navels falling down a lift shaft in his house!

BOTH his navels?

He recovered from that though. And his broken legs :P He was at Goodwood FoS last year.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Let's not get into the politics of voter apathy, jesus christ.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Best Catalunya race I can remember! FOM should do on-screen timing splits for all the battles on the track, not just what's on the screen or even better picture-in-picture shots of the battles.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Smirk posted:

For anyone who missed the race, Mercedes dominated so hard that Rosberg won on lap 20, in record time.

Spotted that, I was wondering if it was a strange foretelling.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

harperdc posted:

Paul Stoddart-owned Minardi was probably the most fun back-marker team. Arrows were too serious, Tyrrell kind of sad as well. Stoddart was a great character.

I have a Minardi neck ticket-holder-lanyard thing from when I went to the Silverstone GP in 2005. I had money burning a hole in my pocket and wasn't sure what team to overtly support, so I went with the one with the most character. I also bought a Red Bull hat at their stand. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I thought the track closed down on Friday so WAGs could go shopping?

Skarsnik posted:

So the whole 'change his helmet every time he wins' bollocks has just been forgotten about this season then

Is that the original idea? I thought he just changed his helmet whenever he wanted.

• Locked thread