Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Every time you list all the historical threads I'm reminded that I created a monster back in 2004 that I'll never be able to forget. Also, need to get a new avatar today, hmmmm.

I also noticed ill be in Montreal for the Bahrain GP. Any of you guys in Montreal and want to watch the race?

NoArmedMan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

You Am I posted:

Going to the F1 today :neckbeard:

Are you heading for qualifying? Theres about 5 of us melbourne goons heading to the race tomorrow. If you (or anyone) wants to catch up and drink beer!

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

I just noticed the thread for the whole 2004 season was 17 pages. We were a lot more efficient back then.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

So it's pretty much definitely going to rain today. Really grey and rain is on the radar.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml#skip

At the very least the track will be damp. If the forecast is accurate though, perhaps storms,

quote:

Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers developing in the morning then increasing in the late afternoon and tending to rain over eastern suburbs this evening. Isolated thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Winds north to northwesterly 30 to 45 km/h turning westerly 20 to 30 km/h in the evening.

Keep in mind that practice is at 5PM here so "Isolated thunderstorms this afternoon and evening" lines up perfectly. Tomorrow is about 10C cooler and showers during the afternoon.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

The worst part of the F1 today was putting a $5 bet on Ricciardo at 51-1 and losing by .317 of a second.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

lotharr posted:

All up that was the best Saturday I've been to for a long time and I've been to the last 6.

Probably the best feeling I've had at quali/race since Webber got 5th in the Minardi. That was the best ever though.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Dubs posted:

you are mistaken.

When Vettel didn't make the top 10 people were cheering for RIC as VET crossed the line.

They definitely weren't cheering for RIC when Vettel crossed the line as they jeered Vettel as he went around the track. Source: I was there as Vettel came down the back straight after not qualifying

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Daniel Ricciardo: proving me right and Aqualung wrong since 2011

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Barnsy posted:

I don't see how dB make a car sound good. The current gen F1 cars sound like they're running on a jet engine, how is that not awesome? Also, if loudness is the only thing that drew crowds, they're missing out on the thing that makes F1 cars so cool (downforce).

The cars are waaaaaay quieter though. V8 Supercars are louder, I live less than 200m from Albert Park and couldn't hear the cars over my TV this year. Even when I went on Saturday, one of the cars arriving at the corner myself and a friend were on actually surprised us as we didn't hear it coming. Sure - it doesn't detract from racing but it's a very very different experience from previous years. The roar/squeal of the engine is something associated with Formula 1 during the modern era and that is largely gone now. It is part of 'the product' that is gone now.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

CratSock posted:

The Force India is pretty dong-tastic, but the worst one to me is the Caterham. It looks like the nose should have tapered out for another 30 feet, but someone just cut a big slice out and grafted the tip back on.

The Caterham dick nose isn't as bad now that it's painted black.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptBVdys-mo

I really like the potential of Formula E even if they keep making stupid decisions constantly over the way it's run. Pretty cool video nonetheless.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Aqualung posted:

never gonna happen.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452371&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post398609903

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Reminder that Pastor Maldonado won for Williams when they had a poo poo engine. They have the best engine in the field, and what have Massa and Bottas done? Zero wins, zero podiums. Poor drivers.

My man Perez has 4 more podiums than Hulkenberg, all in not McLaren. Podiums are the sign of the better driver imho.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

darth cookie posted:

tl;dr the new engines are good as a trackside spectator.

wrong they are awful as a spectator (but i still enjoyed the racing)

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Can't wait until the US GP comes around and half this thread changes it's view on the noise

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

gret posted:

Nah I look forward to not having to wear ear plugs. I will miss not being able to hear the cars as I make my way towards the circuit though.

No earplugs was a plus and I do literally mean half the thread (well, attendees). Half will be fine, half will do a complete 180. It is jarring how different it is but most of the "its no problem" brigade are judging from TV and that's a very, very different experience. Not saying it's a _wrong_ opinion to support the quieter cars, it'll just be interesting to contrast opinions when more people have heard in person.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

The Hamilreich will be the darkest period in F1 history.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

replace whole OP with that picture

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Imola 1994

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

animeliker posted:

The Caucasus is considered to be Europe geographically (Western Kazakhstan is too) but yeah I don't associate it with Europe. It should be pointed out though that Europe isn't a real continent.

Check your continental privilege

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Agreed, the island with the pretty much universally great climate and scenery is much worse than the sun-blasted hell hole that is 90% of Australia

Universally great climate = cold

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A daily mean temperature in the depths of winter of 11 degrees is implausible for human survival. Meanwhile, the 40 degree plus summers in many of the bits of Australia that are considered relatively mild? You should probably wear a jumper just so you don't catch a chill.

I don't know, I'd consider universally great climate to be something consistently around 25-30C if I was talking about ideals

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Dudley posted:

I'm trying to imagine a world where you're considering buying a car and can just "Phone up Carrol Shelby".

I don't have a car now but last time I got one I was lucky to even get my dad on the line

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/motorsport/sir-jack-brabham-dead-20140519-zrgoj.html

Jack Brabham RIP :(

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

El Hefe posted:

There's a thread regular here who's parents live in Monaco, he should tell us what it's like.

Yeah - paging DrJonBoyG (from memory)/drgitlin

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

keevo posted:

Oh my god it's starting. The thread is starting to turn on Lewis.

MY DAY HAS COME

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

CMON DAN

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

At least the better Mercedes driver won this race

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Marussia. The Best Team.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

I just want to point out that I've always been president of the Lewis Hamilton Hate Club as the bandwagoners come in.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Aqualung posted:

Ummmmmmmm.

Hah, you have hated for a long time also. I may need to do a count back one day.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Aqualung posted:

^^^^^ Always with the personal attacks, I'm beginning to think I'm your hate-crush.

:glomp:

It's gonna be ok.

NtotheTC is to Hamilton as Shogunner was to Vettel. It's going to be great to see history repeat.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

Ohhh well why didn't you say this earlier! We hate drivers that don't take the high road at all times.

I now support Max Chilton as the only driver who isn't a whiny baby.

Ricciardo

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Just support Ricciardo. There's still room on the bandwagon AND you get to laugh at Vettel being poo poo.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Wallrod posted:

Well Hamilton's hosed already.

Race getting off on the right foot.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

The best way to avoid the bump is to not fly off the circuit and go 20 meters wide at the corner

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Moxie Omen posted:

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/488455018979532800

shut the gently caress up britney you're not even really german

Hitler wasn't either. You can be german if you truly want to in your heart

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

El Hefe posted:

hahah just read that during that event Kim Kardashian was granted a woman of the year award

They just love giving awful people awards at GQ

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

Has anyone here played igpmanager? Thoughts?

We had a goon game going when it first came out maybe 3 years ago (or 2). It's entertaining but has a very easy to reach "top level". The developers have been promising features for years and years without any delivery - for instance, the development system was meant to be overhauled about 3 months in, was being 'tested' 6 months in and is yet to appear years later. I check their blog every now and again for the development/supplier/track changes but they've never been forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Speaking of Max, I was under the impression Google had memory-holed everything relating to his 'indiscretions'.

But if you Google 'Max Mosley Sex' you still get this....

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/4PjDI2L.jpg

Admittedly I'm unfamiliar with mechanics of search engines but whatever legal jiggery-pokery Max laid on Google it hasn't done much good.

Basically google said "um, thats not how it works, we can't do that" and the EU said "Well you have to try" so google put up a page to satisfy the legal requirement and it barely works

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread