Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I had this weird dream that Vettel ran 40 laps in fp1 and was quite competitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I can't believe it's almost upon us. I haven't looked forward to a season so much in years.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

These cars are really interesting to watch. Much less planted than last years, even allowing for rain.

I wish the TV would tone down the reverb. It kills the mid and high tones from the engines; they sound so much flatter than in reality because some sound engineer douche wants 'epic vroom noise'.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Ecstatic posted:

On the tram back now, so glad I came over from Perth to cheer on the home boy. Hope I'm not expecting too much from him tomorrow..... podium or bust.

It'd be nice, but I fear that assuming the powertrain holds together he will probably be beaten down by Merc car's superior fuel delta.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Look, I know I only JUST started trying to follow the sport, but being disqualified for using too much fuel? That's bullshit. Using extra fuel required you to have more weight in your car and run the risk of having extra pit stops. Why limit how much fuel somebody could use?

Flow rate is a major part of the new rules, it's the whole point of the powertrain.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I think on the basis of that one race, the Vettelreich is not dead yet. RBR clearly have stacks of performance to unlock.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Adam Cooper reckons RBR may have a case, in that other teams ran under target to be on the safe side. Ah, F1. This is probably going to be this year's Pirelli.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Two things stood out for me - no extended tyre talk, for the first time since 2012, and fuel saving wasn't an issue, at least at this track.

Malaysia will be interesting, lots of tilke corners and long straights. Teams can't do much to the cats overseas in a week, either.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I just read Horners moaning about how the immature fuel sensor technology isn't working on hardly anyones cars. if that's the case then, why haven't other teams being pulled up for it?
Horner, you cheated, you got caught, suck it up.

Was this what Montezemolo was alluding to earlier in the week? Have other teams known RBR planned to flout the meter?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

darth cookie posted:

Claire Williams biography would be a interesting read. Growing up with a very successful F1 team owner quadriplegic father with all sorts of notable F1 drivers coming and going. Then the rise within the business for herself.

I'd be happy to see a second era of Williams success under Claire's direction. It'd be nice if Frank could see a few more wins or championships with his daughter at the helm before he dies.

My understanding is in true Frank style he didn't make it easy for her, either.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

skooma512 posted:

It really is strange hearing the new engine note. This is my first engine change and it's weird to not hear the cars screaming out with that high pitched whine and having a growl closer to that of a street or rally car instead.

It's an adjustment. They don't have the ear-splitting howl of the V8, but that's progress. N/A engines have been an anachronism for a long time. Concentrate on the trap speeds if it helps. The V8 didn't have that much grunt. It just sounded like it did.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Riso posted:

Meanwhile Button is complaining that overtaking is so much more difficult this year!

Understeer, bro. Understeer.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Speaking of noise, the Australian Grand Prix organizers are claiming that the quieter engines actually breach the contract between them and FOM.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/17/formula-one-cars-not-loud-enough-says-australian-grand-prix-organiser

Sweet Jesus, the comments in that Guardian piece are...predictable.

Things like this remind me of an often stated truth: People do not like change.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Ayem posted:

I hadn't realized how close they were to the total race time last year. They had the "false start" and the safety car, too. Not sure if the 2nd formation lap counted in the total time, but there was no safety car last year IIRC. Barring that, they could well have been really drat close to the same overall time. Definitely impressive!

Fuel decrease is nearer 38%!

What impressed me most was that they are this quick at such an early stage. Give it a little development and I think they'll be comfortably quicker than the V8 cars, and much, much faster in a straight line.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Pycckuu posted:

Other notable happenings:
1. NBCSN coverage stopped showing the graphic with RPM and car speed from the on-board perspective, probably because the cars are slow.
2. The yellow Pirellis lasted for more than 30 laps on some cars, might be because the cars are slow.

The cars aren't slow, ffs

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

1. That's from Formula 1 Media. NBC has no control over that.
2. Well if they are slower it's helping Pirelli not seem incompetent with a poo poo tire
3. Marussia has a Ferrari engine and bit more testing then the Renault engined Lotus

Honestly who gives a poo poo about the speed, if they cars are dancing around and the drivers have to drive the cars (and Vettel is is sent into the garage), what more could race fans ask for. I think FIA wanted these cars to be slower in 2009, they just had to change everything to get that done, and Melbourne isn't one of those fast tracks.

Pirelli developed a conservative tyre this year, quite deliberately given they didn't know exactly how much degradation the torque increase would cause.

3s is nothing to get back over a season.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Pycckuu posted:

Slowing the cars down so that drivers don't die or get brutally maimed is perfectly fine, but it's also completely different from slowing them down in order to make the racing more environmentally friendly. I'm sure the latter will attract Bernie some new sponsors, though.

Innovation typically happens in aerodynamics or in structures through application of advanced materials. That's why you get neat things like double diffusers, or front wings flexing, or engines with higher efficiencies and power outputs. Of the things they introduced in the past few years, I personally thought that KERS and DRS were neat. If you wanted a new dimension to racing, you could allow the drivers to control when they activate DRS, so they could use it at any portion of the track rather than only in the designated areas. Would that make the races better or safer? I have no idea. It would make DRS seem less artificial though, and turn aerodynamics into an active element of every race.

If you really want to go into fuel conservation, you could make the solution open ended: reduce the fuel tank size, but leave out the flow rate limits and engine size regulations so that the teams could come up with the solution that they think is best.

By the way, have you noticed that DRS didn't seem to make any difference in the last race? I think Bothas made a successful pass with a DRS on someone after their car touched the grass and wobbled. I don't remember any more DRS passing the entire race, even though lots of drivers were hanging within 0.5 sec of the car in front.

No manufacturer with a big budget wants anything to do with a sport running high-revving N/A engines. That's been the whole problem - it's old tech.

Read the news.Fuel conservation is the driving factor in automobile tech at the moment. One of the fastest and most advanced supercars in the world is a hybrid. The days of low fuel-mileage screamers are done. Is it a shame? In a rose-tinted way, yes. In reality, that's the pain of progress. The problem with your assertion that the cars are slower is only because they're still immature, and even given that, they're not that much slower - By the season's end they'll be faster.

The innovations will still happen and they're not going to stop aero research because the power unit is different. Aerodynamics are still as important as ever.

Looking at it from another direction, you want to return to a formula that was slower in a straight line, easier to drive, and would guarantee manufacturers would leave. All for a few decibels?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

This is true, but it's pretty bad how a few people in here tend to really gush over everything. It's especially bad when people say things like, "If you can ignore Rosberg running away with the lead, it was pretty good," which is almost word-for-word what was trotted out every race last year, with Vettel in place of Rosberg. And then someone will say that the sharp end of the pack isn't all that matters, you have to care about the battle for twelfth if you're a true fan, blah blah blah.

I'm not here to poo poo all over everything--it's not like the race was the worst race I've ever seen. It had an exciting start and a few moments after the fact, but overall it was not a spectacular race. That's fine, that's what F1 is. I'm still excited for the season. But don't act like it was an awesome, action-packed race. If you weren't an F1 fan, and had tuned in after hearing about all the shakeups this year, I'm pretty sure you would have tuned out or fell asleep by the halfway point, but eh.

In terms of Melbourne races since 1996, I would have to put this in the top 3. In fact the only ones I can really remember were '96, 2001 (Montoya's debut), 2003 (Raikonnen giving Schumacher a hard time) and this. The rest were fairly processional.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Ilanin posted:

They're already faster.

In 2014 Nico Rosberg raced over 53 non-neutralised laps in a time of 1:23:38.880. Average lap time, 1m 34.696s. In 2013 Kimi Raikkonen raced over 58 non-neutralised laps in a time of 1:30:03.225. Average lap time, 1m 36.259s.

Sure, sure, Rosberg did a pit stop in one of those safety car laps I've subtracted. Fine, add him in another 1m 55.19s lap (the length of his racing pit stop lap) and his average lap time rises to 1m 35.075s, still over a second quicker than the 2013 Lotus.

Were 2013 cars faster on low fuel? Yeah, they were. But since they had to carry 50kg more of it around with them, they were slower over a race distance. Now can we please stop complaining about speeds?

It is thoroughly depressing reading James Allen's comments because there's so many people saying 'the cars are so slow this year' I just want to tear my loving hair out

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I do love these outraged-of-Tunbridge-Wells comments:

Literally none of that happened. None of it.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 17, 2014

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Craig Scarborough mentioned something interesting: The fuel flow limit translates into an effective rev ceiling of 10,500 rpm. Explains the distinctly Indycar tone - I knew they could not be using 15K as it just didn't sound that high.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

You Am I posted:

It was a very common situation for a driver to run out of fuel in the 80s, even McLaren had that issue. Of course none of the teams have the sensors or computer simulations that they have these days to give the driver a very close approximation of how much fuel they have left.

The homologated flow sensor is still slightly inaccurate, hence the drama in Oz. That's nearly thirty years later, so I can imagine the tech available in the 80's was probably hopeless.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

One possibility is that they're trying to completely isolate the exhausts from the aero this year, and their calculations for the volume of no-aero at the back of the car are based on a maximum amount of exhaust gas; overrunning the engine might theoretically allow some aerodynamic nonsense and they wanted to close off that avenue of cheating creative rules interpretation.

Power.

The fuel rate limitation kicks in at 10,500 RPM at the moment. If they uncapped it, teams would be running the engines much higher in the rev range and getting easy parity with the V8's from the ICE alone, not to mention outrageous top speeds when combined with the ERS.

The point is efficiency - if they can cane the engines we'll be into horrible fuel saving strategies interspersed with insanely fast laps.

The starvation of the ICE is quite deliberate and a big part of the rule set.

If that limit is removed - and the red blooded fan in me would kind of like it - you'll be right back in very high power territory, albeit for short periods of time.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

poopzilla posted:

So yeah, if the old V8’s were even louder than that, I’m good.

Similar effect for me. They're devastatingly loud, but after a little while it gets a bit much. The V8 in particular was extraordinarily shrill. Great on accel/brake zones but I can't imagine sitting on a straight with them for a whole race.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

One thing I don't see anybody posting about is that there is really no fixing this "problem" is there? Personally I don't mind the noise at all, but by their nature turbo engines are much much quieter than naturally aspirated engines. If it looks like the exhaust post turbo already is just a short pipe with no restrictions I don't see how they're going to make it any louder in person. For TV they can just add microphones closer to the track or even on the cars themselves. But they're not going to throw away engines they've been working on for years now because people are complaining about the noise. We will just have to get used to it.

It's one of those things that people get very emotional about. Patrick Head said (regarding the proposed turbocharged fours) that F1 needed to shock and awe, and he was specifically referring to noise.

I like the new formula, but I love the tech. Understand why people get disappointed, but if you want your ears blown off there's plenty of series that can do that. According to the FIA, these engines clock around 134db. That's still above the pain threshold, so they're not what you'd call quiet, however that is down from 145db. Decibels being as they are, that sounds like a much bigger change.

Think it is more the case that the V8's enjoyed an accidentally unique status, due to their strange birth and very long stay, and the fact they were rather extreme; a small displacement V wound up to silly levels.

We should be pleased there's engine competition again. I'm sure that if we have a good couple of races it'll be forgotten.

As regards Bernie, anything Bernie says is accompanied by an agenda. Always.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 18, 2014

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Funkysauce posted:

Were there rumors back in time about a possible V4 formula with Ferrari throwing a titty attack saying they'll never build a V4?

Did I read that here? Maybe in heard it in Italy. I can't find it on the web.

I wish they'd allowed it. I'd love to see a mix, with some parity rules. Imagine that?

P. S I thought it was a straight 4.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

The F1 fanbois in me has been dormant since the worst of the Schumacher days but gently caress me if this hasn't brought it right back.

People are being completely irrational about the noise, to the extent of repeatedly stating falsehoods. If I read one more post at Autosport or Racer saying the 2014 cars are slow...

gently caress them for even making me care about it.

This may be the worst thread but at least people are reasonable and know their poo poo.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Butt Wizard posted:

I can fully accept that I'm being unreasonable about the noise but the one thing everyone who goes to the F1 for the first time tells their friends about is the sound.

I went to the Ferrari Festival instead this year.

I get it, I really do. I just think the positives outweigh the negatives.

On one hand the noise was awesome, by the very definition of the word, but I'm not going to deny I'm quite happy to see the back of those particular V8's, because I think they were holding the Formula back.

Had they continued down the development path of pushing RPM (they started at 22,000 in 2006) I may have felt different, but as it was they just seemed a bit sad, and the cars had outgrown them.

It's one of the reasons we got nonsense like the tyre crap, because there wasn't really anywhere else to look at.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

You Am I posted:

If only Renault can build an engine that can do that

They did, but RBR hosed it up by deciding they don't need homologated sensors to tell them what's going on in their car.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

You Am I posted:

I thought the FIA supplied the fuel flow sensors

They do, and RBR decided for possibly practical reasons (albeit very naive ones, if you're feeling charitable) that their measurement was not only more accurate but also the only one that was necessary.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Damon Hill in the Guardian speaking very candidly about his career.

I'm glad they mentioned Suzuka '94. It was one hell of a race and I think led directly to Schumacher's mindset for Adelaide.

Here's Alesi and Mansell going at it in the pouring rain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3sFDpF9nIg

Sulman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 19, 2014

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I'm wondering if between the argument about sensors and the concerns about noise, we might see the fuel flow limit get binned. They'll still have to make 100kgs last, but at least they'll have a lot more to play with.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Funkysauce posted:

F1 2014: The (lack of) Noise Pollution Problem

Really I hope that we all, for the most part, can agree that the sound issue will not stop us from watching/following the sport.

You miss it or you don't there will most definitely be bigger arguments coming down the line over the course of the season.

Just one more time though, I miss the sound. :(

It's the kind of story that has legs, unfortunately. It won't stop me from watching - 21 years in is too long to just give up. Plus, if noise really bothers people there really are alternatives. It is a big part of the spectacle but I think people saying it's the most important thing aren't thinking it through. F1 hasn't always been ear bleedingly loud.

Colin Chapman would have loved this era.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

This is pretty on the money, I think http://www.f1plus.com/en/columns/item/5577-what-is-actually-wrong-with-formula-one-a-stern-letter-to-f1-cynics

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

AgentJotun posted:

That worst a shithouse place to try and make a pass. Besides which Hill didn't even deserve a sniff of that years title. Those early-mid Schumacher years he was just so much better then everyone else.

But that's just it - he couldn't beat Hill at the crucial races late in the season. He was a better driver; even Hill admitted he was a better driver. And yet, Schumacher allowed himself to think he didn't need to even try.

People hate on Damon but what he managed to do that year was pretty remarkable. Irvine in '99 was similar. He should never have taken the title race to Suzuka, but he kept his head down and everyone else kept loving up.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

animeliker posted:

I agree wholeheartedly as of now. I hope I don't have to eat my words later though.

I expect Italy and the US to be unhappy. They're steak and chips countries, like Oz, and they love their noise.

I'm guessing everyone else will deal with it.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I'm seeing people elsewhere use the 2004 lap record to attack the current formula. This is deeply disingenuous.

It condemns the entire V8 era, rather accurately, ironically. The very era we are supposed to be mourning . It ignores the fact that the present cars are already quicker in a straight line without even trying, and with some development will start hitting records; something their predecessors were not capable of.

All of this because of noise. People are weird.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

^^^ e: How many people complained about the death of the V10? I like the noise of the V10 better than the V8 but things change and it'll grow on people overtime. If you want noise, go to an NHRA race and have your eyes rattled out of your head.

I think that's the key. Last year, I zoned out from F1 since it was the reign of Vettelreich like no other. This race had some interesting things going on like new cars, drivers that haven't been up front fighting up front, and how will Red Bull fair. Compared to other racing it was an ok race just for the racing. My only complaint is Rosberg ran away with it and no one could catch him. Maybe if Hamilton didn't have a crippled engine then Rosberg could've been challenged. Hopefully this racing becomes the norm and just add some more competition in the front if McLaren, Red Bull, Ferrari, (possibly) Williams can get to Mercedes. Reminds me of Indycar's new car shook things up and made racing pretty good from the poo poo show they had.

I enjoyed Long Beach and one or two others more than F1 last year. And I haven't felt that way about US open wheel since CART.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not enough drivers dying

Touché

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

gret posted:

I'm still planning on going to the USGP this year. Yeah it was magical listening to the V10s scream down the front stretch of Indy at full song back in the day, and I'm sure I'll miss the roar of the V8s too, but for me it's still about great drivers driving the most technically sophisticated racing cars in the world, the speed, and the unmatched atmosphere of an F1 event.

The more I listen to the videos from Albert Park the more I think it's a lot of fuss over nothing. Yes, they are most definitely quieter, but there is still plenty to listen to.

You're only allowed to not attend next year if you've been attending every GP since the inauguration and consider the 2.4L V8 the greatest racing engine since the DFV.

Make sure you tell everyone, too.

Gozinbulx posted:

They sound like Indycars circa 2009.

I'm drat glad I got to hear the V8's in person and inaugural Austin GP. It was unreal.

They should sound more like the DW12 now, probably a little quieter though. The 2009 Dallara was a pile of poo poo but the Honda engine was alright.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread