Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Ground floor of the worst thread.

Can't wait for quali and the race, it feels like a full year waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Mark also doesn't have the seat buying stigma.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Dudley posted:

Or stories that they used to fly the entire team abroad in lower formulae because the rules banned testing in Britain stigma.

drat, didn't know that. Chilton did that?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

So Ricciardo is the real deal it seems, hope his race pace matches his quali pace.

Happy as poo poo for Hamilton, and Rosberg too.

Should be good to see how Kimi and Seb fight up through the field, if they don't crash each other on the start.

Looks to be a good racing year fingers crossed.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Finally something to replace my post quali Alonso face avatar.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Three out of four redbull championships happened with cars almost 20% down on straight line speed. I'm not saying that's gonna happen this year (unlikely it seems) but it's something to keep in mind.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

serious gaylord posted:

iirc, the Red Bulls were always slower than the other 'front' running cars, but it was usually by 7-10km/h. No-where near the 15-20 that we've seen spoken about in testing. Albert Park is a relatively slow circuit, I bet when they get to China and Malaysia you'll see the Renault Engine cars really really struggle.

True, redbull also had the superior aero in regards to down force which seems to be lacking now.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Feel really bad about Hamilton and I'm sure red bull cheated but I feel bad for Ricciardo as a person, I really like that dude.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with everything and I'm pretty optimistic about this season.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

serious gaylord posted:

The FIA knew Red Bull were ignoring their meter which is why they gave them a 'friendly' warning during the race. Red Bull ignored it.

I can see where you're coming with about Ricciardo, I quite like the guy. However you have to think that the Red Bull was going faster than it should have been legal to. Explains how he suddenly pulled away from Magnusson in the last few laps.

Yeah, I agree, it seems to be a legit and fair penalty. Still feel bad for him though. I feel really bad for Australian fans too, that's gotta sting.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

nsaP posted:

Has a DQed driver ever refused to hand over the trophy?

They don't even get the trophies these days anyway. Their contracts usually say that the team gets them.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Most of the people complaining, in my experience, are fairweather fans repeating the same tired media talking points, ":qq:not enough vroom vroom:qq:" ":qq:GP2 speeds:qq:" ":qq:so ugly:qq:"

I'm pretty sure that most of them have been in circulation since before we even knew anything beyond the technical regulations for this year. I'm pretty sure it was Red Bull's PR people putting them out so there'd be public resistance to the rule changes and they could keep up their domination :tinfoil:

It really is getting annoying. Oh, you've been watching F1 for two years and now you're an expert on the soul of F1? gently caress you! Other than the dicknoses the cars this year are really loving cool and impressive.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

NtotheTC posted:

I think most goons, myself included, would happily take an uncompetative championship right now, provided its not Red Bull winning it.

Kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat. I'd rather have a nail biter with RB or Mercedes coming out on top so long as it comes down to the last lap of the last race. I don't want to see anyone walk away with it, no matter what team.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The kind of fan that got us double points, gentleman.

Oh gently caress you, the double points thing is stupid but I'm hardly the first fan to want a championship to come down to the last race. In fact, it's what most of you mouth-breathers have been crying about for years in these threads that you wanted.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Falken posted:

It's also a night race so you can't see the protests.

I guess they're not actively burning tires in the street anymore either?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

What a great race.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

harperdc posted:

Alex Rossi is the choice if you want an American rookie now, nobodies hiring any old IndyCar guys (or gals) no matter how hard we wish to make it so.

Didn't Simona De Silvestro just get a testing gig with Sauber?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VikingSkull posted:

If you wanna discuss it more we should take it to PM's, the F1 thread certainly isn't the place to keep this derail going.

It's still relevant and interesting. It can work in the indycar thread too.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Too tall I'll give you, but he's 28 and could probably slim down considerably. If there's anyone in the states that could get it done, he's gotta be among the names discussed

I love the dude, I really do, but there's just no way. Skill set is too different for him to even be in the top ten of Americans able to do something with the seat.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

poopzilla posted:

I work with a guy who has been karting since he was a kid (he still is, early 20’s) and has won a poo poo load of races all around the west coast, he raced with Rossi and knew him pretty well. He said Rossi was always slow as poo poo and him and his buddies beat the crap out of him anytime they raced together. But Rossi would just go on and on about how he was gonna be in F1 one day and they were all “heh, ok.” But Rossi’s parents are fuckin loaded and sent him over to Europe and welp :shrug:

So agreed. But I still want an American back in F1

Everyprofessionalracecardriverever.txt

See the dude I just quoted in my last post.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

poopzilla posted:

huh? Rossi is in GP2 right now. You dont think he has a chance at F1 with an American team coming online in the next 1-2 years?

e: err sorry, i guess he's just just driving for caterham now and not in GP2. So he actually is in F1

You missed the point I was talking literally about poster I quoted in reference to your anecdote.

I like Rossi and Daly and hope they get a race seat in F1.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

FuzzySkinner posted:

To keep things in perspective.

The last time a NASCAR driver was legitimately approached about a F1 seat was around '96 or '97 when BAR offered him a seat.

They told him they'd allow for, but first he'd have to go run CART for a year with Team Green.

Gordon declined for a number of reasons, but I imagine the main one was because his salary in Cup, along with sponsor dollars was likely enough for him to say "no" at that point.

I imagine the risk for him was likely to big as well. I recall reading that several times as to why Stock Car drivers generally stay within their own series.

It's not just stock car racers though. Each individual type of racing is a skill set in and of it self and it's pretty hard to just jump around to completely different forms of racing. See Kimi in WRC.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Ilanin posted:

That's a bit of an overstatement, or at least a simplification. If you've got some kind of background in single-seaters I don't think it's impossible to switch from a tin-top to a single-seater and back again over a career - di Resta spent four years in DTM before his stint in F1, and while he wasn't great he wasn't terrible either.

Of course this doesn't apply to the various NASCAR drivers being discussed who haven't spent any time in single seaters at all.

True, but DTM cars are described as F1 cars with fenders quite often.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

FuzzySkinner posted:

Counterpoint: Parnelli Jones, AJ Foyt, Dan Gurney, The Unsers, Rocket Rick Mears, and a whole list of other drivers from different disciplines that aren't NASCAR.

The whole Speed thing was a disaster, and not on us at all fwiw.

Please don't get into a nationalistic poo poo show.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Spaced God posted:

But guys what about Danica? :downsgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTpEoi0tzE

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

serious gaylord posted:

So that explains why its poorly organised, self indulgent and full of racists.

Hey man, America hasn't exactly cornered the market on racism.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

BMB5150 posted:

He would've left F1 quicker than Michael Andretti with how caustic of a personality he had. Don't know if he could've won, but if Johnny Herbert could get a win, Tracy could have as well in 95.

Yeah, he had the talent for sure but maybe a little too crazy for F1.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Wirth1000 posted:

Do you yanks not even remember/know about Peter Revson? Poor guy.

Don't remember but I know about the guy. He's not talked about at all in the US even in a motorsport sense.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jedit posted:

For the benefit of fans of real motorsport, who the gently caress are you talking about?

Mark Plourde

Eight time Camp Car Champion! Show some loving respect.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I'm sure some kind of hybrid facility could work, possibly, probably not.

Unless he get's permission to do winter testing in the US, probably not.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Vaz posted:

Why's that official F1 desktop java live timing not showing sector timings since start of 2014 season? All I can see is a colored dots.

Because gently caress you that's why.

But in all seriousness it's because anything fan related with F1 sucks.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Mercedes has it locked up for sure but a Brawn GP 2009 scenario might play out where someone gets some legs underneath them and there are some different winners in the second half or 3/4 of the season but it will have no effect on the WDC and WCC because Mercedes owns that it seems.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Uncle Jam posted:

Brawn was ahead on aero, nobody can touch their engines until the end of the season, its already over.

I said it was already over but another team may scratch out some wins late in the season.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

It's pretty ridiculous to assume that Mercedes will win every race bar any DNFs.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

gret posted:

Aren't Redbull still like 20kph slower than the Mercedes?

Yeah, it's a pretty huge difference. They're slower down the straight with DRS open vs a closed one on the merc.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

karoshi posted:

ftfy, at least it aint vingerchild

No, I'm good with the change up and I'm a Hamilton fan too so it's extra good. But I just think that there are going to be other non-merc race winners LATE in the season. Maybe even a pole or two by alonso, riccardio, or vettel.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

dandaman posted:

Hahahaha... Red Bull PR machine & damage control - ENGAGED!!!!

http://en.espnf1.com/china/motorsport/story/155119.html

In all fairness he did say the misunderstanding quote almost as soon as he got out of the car v:shobon:v maybe he's telling the truth and it's not PR spin. He has also been very frank in admitting that Daniel has been faster than him and hasn't blamed anybody but himself.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

serious gaylord posted:

Its utter bollocks that they've come up with to spin the fact he doesnt like the fact his team mate isnt as slow as webber.

My point is that he said it as soon as the race was over to the first microphone in his face. Usually redbull says some crazy poo poo a few days later via a press release.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Uncle Jam posted:

They won't win every race but they have the WDC and WCC for sure.

Which I've said in every single post on the subject :confused:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Sashimi posted:

Agreed. People here seem to forget that it's Rosberg who currently leads the WDC, and is more than a match for Hamilton on many weekends. Plus they are free to race each other, Thank loving God.

The reason people are forgetting that Rosberg is leading the WDC is because he's only leading due to Hamilton's DNF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

CratSock posted:

I don't buy it. All of his comments were pretty snide and self serving:

What a petulant little twat. He needs a good punching.

Okay. But Webber wasn't a petulant little twat about team orders when he would practically cry. Nobody called Massa a petulant little twat in regards to Bottas team orders this year and Massas was far more and intentionally flippant.

• Locked thread