Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
:siren: Caterham out :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Button's car sounds fantastic.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Diet Crack posted:

That bet on Pastor being the first to retire is looking sweeter by the minute.

If he doesn't actually start how can he retire?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Mark Webber, the worst driver last year?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Butt Wizard posted:

Sorry but I'm not going to wet myself over a battle for 12th, considering how often the rules have been changed to encourage 'closer' racing.

So, bitch about the race not being close then bitch about how the rules get changed to cater to dumb fans who bitch about races not being close, OK.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Pycckuu posted:

I'm not telling you to do anything, you are imagining things here friend. The cars are slow because their lap times are lower than they were last year. Until that changes, the cars will continue to be slower. I don't like this change, you obviously do. Let's just agree to disagree, and make this thread a good place to post in, again.

The new formula makes following the technical side interesting again throughout the year rather than people arguing about rules making for blown diffusers for 2-3 years.

In the meantime you can go watch old video of Mark Donahue man handling his Can-Am machine around until series organizers decide that ex-driver smears on the wall are fashionable again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Sulman posted:

Craig Scarborough mentioned something interesting: The fuel flow limit translates into an effective rev ceiling of 10,500 rpm. Explains the distinctly Indycar tone - I knew they could not be using 15K as it just didn't sound that high.

Yeah, on all of the RPM displays shown in practice, qualifying and race none of them seem to be breaking 12,000 rpm - usually lower. 15,000 RPM would be much less of a difference.

One of the biggest hurdles right now isn't the powerplants being down on power, its the lack of aero over the rear wheels due to the shallow rear wing angles this year. Many many times the drivers mentioned that there are parts of the track where they can no longer go flat out compared to last year.

A lot of improvements will come in the rear aero this year, especially in regards how to handle rear exhaust. And why Red Bull will become much better if they can solve the power gremlins.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

serious gaylord posted:

The artificial rev limit will alter between tracks too. The fuel economy of a track like say, Shanghai is much better than Albert park so they'll be able to wring more power and rev range out of it.

Indeed. Especially with the year-long fixed gear ratios moving shift points around is the only thing they can do.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If Schumacher hadn't been racing for Ferrari, the internet would have been destroyed under the weight of the complaining.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Sulman posted:

The homologated flow sensor is still slightly inaccurate, hence the drama in Oz. That's nearly thirty years later, so I can imagine the tech available in the 80's was probably hopeless.

I looked it up, it seems like real time transmission was pretty much a dream then and no fluid measurement is possible.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13692

I would think that the biggest issue with fluid flow is the calibration and keeping within cal spec during the demands of the race. Although Red Bull keeping track of it with their 'models' seems like a load of bull to me. They can't even keep the engine running properly, how could they confirm their models at a better quality with so little data than an actual sensor?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Here ya'll go, RIP never forget.

http://butifnot.tripod.com/racecar.html

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm sure the TV sound feed will get better as the producers adapt, unless they are incredibly lazy.

Here's to hoping that Vettel comes out about missing the V8 noise causing most of the idiots to self destruct.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Google is the one who needs to attract sponsors, not the other way around. I think there are quite a few tech companies sponsoring cars as major sponsors but not as title sponsors.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

poopzilla posted:

^^ Yeah, I'm not sure about those numbers. The BBC article I linked from February had net profits of 264m Euro.

How much glue I sniff is neither here, nor there.

But the last bit of your quote alludes to the fact that the Ferrari ‘business’, be it cars or hats, is still supporting the F1 team’s costs. Obviously FIAT is more concerned with profits than Enzo probably was, but the business is still supporting racing in some fashion. Either way, Ferrari makes a lot of money and puts some of it back into racing and that’s a-ok with me.

They are a corporate holding, just like everything else now. RIP passion.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

serious gaylord posted:

Not to mention that several journos tweeted that Red Bull might not want to cause the FIA to look at their engine too closely either.

Yeah burning the faces off of the fia officials wouldn't help their appeal any.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

A crash in which every car that collides is also electromagnetically glued to the earth could be rather interesting. Those forces aren't going to dissipate nicely.

It would be like video game collision detection glitches except real life.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Remember when Red Bull were plucky midfielders putting out the Red Bulletin instead of absurdly unlikable corporate shits who threaten to take their ball away because of a single disqualification, RIP, just RIP mid-00s F1.

RIP Ferrari a long time ago :smith:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So all Renault engines are illegal? It doesn't make sense.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

thegasman2000 posted:

The rumour I heard was that they were being coy about the FIA having a poke around their engine. It was therefore implied they had something else to hide?

If that's the case then it'd be more likely about some aero ducting/fuckery than the engine.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

krushgroove posted:

Depends if you've smelled buckets of vomited-up Red Bull & vodka.

The Vettel/Horner/Red Bull hate circlejerk is overwhelming in here, ffs

Even if Red Bull did gently caress off I'm sure the thread would continue to talk about them for years.

They're having a poo poo year and still people are obsessed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

poty posted:

A poo poo year where they've started in the front row 2 races out of 2.

Meanwhile Williams are having an amazing season, and their best qualy result is 9th

They are in last place. Behind Marussia. How about lets not give a poo poo about Red Bull for at least 2 out of the 52 week year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Butt Wizard posted:

I dunno, the Renault TC when it was around was far superior to anything else - you just had to look at Alonso's starts and how he was able to pass cars around the outside with ease.

Alonso drove a car that could detect FIA's signal to the lights, I forgot which team that was though. Basically owned.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Also the regulations have the engines locked down so its not just technical challenges either. Basically with the split turbo everyone is hosed and Mercedes has it wrapped up.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

MattD1zzl3 posted:

1. I started watching in 2007, and only for the last two races at that. I've never seen Michael Shumacher win a race, or drive a ferrari.

2. In 2004 they were still swimming in cigarette money. The business model now seems much more based on fickle, short term ad space for television, plus selling your ride to a 19 year old that brings with him more fickle ad space.

That's sort of the problem, F1 picked up a lot of fans after the Schumi years and between the end of them and the beginning of Red Bull there were multiple absolutely ridiculous championship battles, which even a single one alone would have been exceptional in the history of F1. Instead, there were many in a few years and I think it changed the bar in a bad way.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So Ferrari will be the next team that threatens to leave the sport then?

They are getting spanked by Force India hahaha.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Pro: Two Ferraris in front of Vettel.

Con: They're running in 8-9-10.

No those are both pros.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Honestly I don't think its the fuel saving that is causing such conservative racing, but the engine limit and running the engine hard. It got way more severe this year.

I mean Alonso is out there running a bum engine because its better than replacing it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Montezomelo is going to commit hari-kari - David Hobbs 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

darth cookie posted:

Meanwhile, Alonso is getting mugged by scrub tier teams with Merc engines. :negative:

Ferrari is a scrub tier team :bang:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

El Hefe posted:

Hamilton leaves McLaren and is now challenging for the WDC, Perez leaves McLaren and is now challenging for a podium.

lmao

Massa :o

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The Williams has so much more downforce than the Ferrari, he got surprised.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Classic Maldonado moment.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Will Buxton just ripped on the nose design.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
AHAHHAHA Will Buxton found Montezomelo in the parking lot leaving the track.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Ferrari are soooooooo poo poo its great. This is the best year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

El Hefe posted:

Wow I didn't know if you noticed it but they are both in the points whereas McLaren are already in the pits, retired for being too poo poo.

Maybe one day the points will get extended down to 20th for all poo poo team's benefit, instead of the generous 10th now.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Holy poo poo Max Chilton finished 13th, a great result.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

McLaren have the best engine in the field. How bad must their car be, wow, haha.

Eric is spreading the poo poo around the field, an Anti-Brawn.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hahaha what the hell is going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

He's probably better than Vettel. haha. Bad driver.

He was closer to the Ferrari's than the Ferrari's were to Mercedes.

• Locked thread