Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Spaced God posted:

According to an article on CTVNews, when some RAAF jets flew over, Chilton said "Finally some noise returns to the F1 paddock."
Who doesn't like Chilton

He really is Mark Webber mk2, really nice guy but a really poo poo driver, and didn't Mark also have a slightly smug / punchable face in his early years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Going to be a great season, although it does look like Merc is a lot faster than anyone else. It should be a great battle between Williams, McLaren and Redbull for the 2-4th best teams. Early days of course, and Redbull haven't had much time in their car etc.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Decision hasn't happened yet. They still with the stewards.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

gret posted:

She was promoted to deputy team principal last season. Frank is starting to hand the reigns over to her.

And so far she seems bloody good at it given the reason why there are so good this year is largely down to her changes.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

AgentJotun posted:

Google currently has a Senna themed homepage in honor of his birthday.

Thats tomorrows homepage for the rest of the world :P As his Birthday is the 21st and for the majority of the planet its still the 20th.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
This is a mess.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Mercedes are half a second faster than the next car and they are only coasting around, scary stuff.

Mercedes have only shown even remotely close to their true pace with those last few laps that Lewis Hamilton did at Malaysia, and even they probably weren't as fast as they could go if they went all out. Wouldn't be that shocked if they are 1.5 seconds or maybe 2 seconds faster than anyone else if they really needed to.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

Did this article factor in the hour-long delay? It was also a BBC race, which means many will have watched The TdF or Wimbledon live and watched the F1 later.

Also 3 Million in the UK were on the streets watching the TdF live on Sunday.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

God drat that brings back memories.

Wasn't that the game where you could put a sweet tin on your keyboard that covers the keyboard and the game would read the keyboard presses as a bizarro steering wheel / joystick.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

darth cookie posted:

I would bet hard currency that he tries to claim that $100 million as a tax deduction somewhere.

Given Bernie has virtual $0 to his name, he will pull some kind of dodge to write it off.

If you aren't aware all his money is held by his 'ex'-wife and Bernie gets a grant of $50 million a year from her; that was a previous amazing tax dodge that set new levels of tax dodging.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Honestly the more I see about Formula E the more I want to watch it, it does seem to have promise, which ever way it turns out; Either it will be a complete mess, or proper racing its going to be interesting to watch. Also thanks to the comments on that video I know ITV4 are going to be showing it so wont have to watch a stream.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

The Croc posted:

I turned that section off James Corden has made a career out of being fat and unfunny. Why can't I be that lucky?

Remember hes buggering off next year to the US, as hes the new host for the Late Late Show so Britain will thankfully be sparred his presence.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Butt Wizard posted:

Mercedes crippling an English driver so a German can win - credible theory.

Red Bull crippling an Australian driver so a German can win - apparently tin-foil hat stuff.

Welcome English F1 media, we've been expecting your rank hypocrisy.

Eh what? There was wide spread allegations Webber was being sabotaged, and it was pretty god drat evident they didn't want him to be in front of their chosen poo poo, especially with the blatant team orders.

Where it differs with the Webber/Vettel Situation is the Lewis is the better driver than Rosberg, while Webber was arguably the worst driver in modern times in a top F1 car. Even Heikki is probably better than Webber. Thank god the Aussies finally have a driver deserving of their good history of Australian motor racing instead of that disgrace.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

dev null posted:

I understand Vetted hate but Webber hate? drat.

Every F1 fan should hate Webber, as its due to him being completely poo poo we had to suffer 4 years of finger boy.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Lol Trulli at the back Trulli train averted!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Please tell me this music is only temporary.

Nope is going on throughout the race.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

This is so surreal without engine noise

Its beautiful, would of thought I would hate it but just the slight hum sounds wonderful.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The music is loving weird 'SAFETY CAR' was really jarrimg

It is trying to be Wipeout. Expect areas on the track which give the driver a speed boost next year.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Yeah this is really really good. God knows how it would be on a none poo poo track, but given almost all of them are poo poo, guess we wont find out.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Lol Sato probably ran his battery dry :P

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Sam Bird seems to be pretty good.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I think this would be good on an actual race course, with a better race director, and with a bit more information on-screen. Looking forward to when we have a debate about why we are still bothering with the F1 races in the Formula E Best Thread

I found it good, despite all that. They could have got a director straight out of film school who would have done a better job than the farce today. I was expecting this series to be a joke, but it was really fun and shocking how close the cars were able to get next to each other, nose to tail, especially given they were often doing it at 170mph.

Really looking forward to the next F-E race, probably even more so than the next F1 race.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

Wait, why is there a time limit?

For TV, so it doesn't overrun.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Pit lane chatter says that Alonso will be confirmed at McLaren, possibly Suzuka but Boullier is playing that down: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12433/9483376/eric-boullier-dismisses-reports-mclaren-will-announce-their-2015-line-up-at-suzuka

I would say they'll go for Alonso/Magnussen. Santander Honda McLaren.

Talk is McLaren are going with Alonso / Button for 2015, which means even suffering burns for the cause isn't enough for Magnassun to keep his place in the team. Wouldn't be that shocked if it ends up being a swap, with Magnusson going the other way and joining Ferrari, assuming they do the decent thing and retire Kimi, so would need 2 new drivers.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dubs posted:

3 out of 4 faces in this photo are fuckin lol French

Edit: drat just checked and thought Max was from southern Belgium, so Ok only 2 are French, but hes so Frenchish.

ukle fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 30, 2014

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Biggest issue with Vettel leaving Redbull is I might actually like the Redbull team again, I got so used to hating them due to having the worst WDC ever driving for them. Its good hes going to Ferrari, poo poo really should be together.

As to Alonso, what ever he does he will improve.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

rawillkill posted:

gently caress

If he lived through that its a miracle.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The SC was deployed.

SC only happened after Bianchi hit, hence why the medical car was immediately behind the SC on track.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

thegasman2000 posted:

[timg]
You can see that Jules' head would have been at the exact height of the back of the tractor counterweight. Either hitting head on or sideways the head would have taken a hell of a hit.

Yeah the only thing that would have made that a survivable crash is if the tractor didn't have that perfect car height void at the back, or if the void was car+driver height. Its amazing he wasn't decapitated :(

VDay posted:

There's no need for crazy modifications to the cars. This crash was 100% avoidable and was a results of rules and procedures, not the failure of an F1 car to properly withstand a crash with a loving massive tractor at speed.

Yeah this is a procedure fault / support machinery issue.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Cubey posted:

This is all fine and well until you realize that the impact necessary to shear off a roll hoop is far more massive than anything a canopy could ever sustain. A full roll cage is the only thing that would prevent a driver death in the event of a crash like that.

Honestly not even sure a roll cage would protect you from this type of 'crash', only thing that could be done is ensure there aren't anything that can remove the tops of cars if they are crashed into.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Pic of the impact

:nws: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzK_IJzCYAAOUoU.jpg :nws:

Shows the back of the car was split in 2 with the left side shoved around to the right hand side.

Even without the issue he went head height into the back of the tractor, he would of been severely injured just from the impact given its side on and the cars aren't designed to offer much protection in that kind of impact.

ukle fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 5, 2014

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Reports on Twitter, saying Mika Salo who was a Marshall today was interviewed and said that Bianchi did go under the tractor and suffered severe head injuries. Could be incorrect as its via twitter, but the evidence does point that he did go under the tractor.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Supposedly hes undergoing X-rays, so that must mean he is somehow alive. Whether hes alive and going to be Michael Schumacher's room mate or to be racing again is another question.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Then again there is this -

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/518706409752391683

quote:

#F1 Japanese police is at the track. Confiscating whats left from Bianchis car. No news about his condition yet. #JapaneseGP

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
His father has confirmed hes alive and in surgery -

https://twitter.com/SBSRadioSport/status/518712313126219776

quote:

#Breaking: Jules #Bianchi's father comfirm on #FrenchTv that his son is currently being operated on and in a critical state. #f1 #sbsf1

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Aqualung posted:

So my curiosity got the best of me and I went looking for pics.

:nms:

http://imgur.com/w73vSnA
http://imgur.com/qunuauy

There was early reports of his back being broken, and given those pictures if it isn't its a god drat miracle on its own. If he survives this and is fully functioning he is the luckiest person alive.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Another picture -

:nms: http://imgur.com/QtOlQGH :nms:

He was conscious after the impact it seems, as looks like he was looking at the Marshall.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Aqualung posted:

:nms:

Close-up/slow motion shows his head took a huge part of the impact.

http://imgur.com/ELVMY2W

This is so lovely.

Thanks I guess, as it pretty much proves hes never going to be racing again and most likely just a vegetable. At least with that kind of impact he would have been unconscious instantly.

Hoping for the best but, its really looking grim now we have seen the crash.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Nothing in that gif proves what you are saying. Its all conjecture.

The top of his head took the brunt of the impact, which is a ~100 MPH crash. His head is noticeably forced downwards in the last frame. Minimum he has significant spinal column damage which would rule him out of driving again, and its most likely his brain was significantly damaged as per learnincurve's post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The part on the right looks more like a Formula E track.

That is insulting to even Formula E tracks. Yes the Formula E tracks are the worst tracks ever seen, until now.

• Locked thread