Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Can everyone repost their predictions for the new thread. It makes laughing at your terrible opinions much more fun.

Don't look at mine from last year....

My predictions, for posterity:
A Renault powered car does not podium before race 6

Hamilton to win wdc, merc wcc
Button stays classy but the new kid gets the points
Vettel matures in adversity and becomes worst thread moral sweetheart
Alonso drags another shithouse Ferrari to places it doesn't deserve
Massa has a good first half, but drops away as Williams can't keep up the dev pace
Kamui gets points
Chilton doesn't
Bldr lives up to his namesake, no points until race 3
Force India win a race
Sauber continue their slide into the back markers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Hello f1 thread, I have been drinking through the 6 nations matches, gone to the priz in Folkestone and I'm now watching wrestling until the f1 starts. So this is a great day.

I also managed to forget to put in my f1 predictions so that is my excuse for butt on motors doing poo poo this year.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Ten minutes! I'm going without sleep this weekend for f1 it had better be good

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Towday wee stawt again.

God sky is awful.

How can I get the irc on my phone?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Lol Chilton s finishing record falls before the season starts....

Also romain being hosed over by the stewards as normal

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

There is def going to be safety car before the end of the first lap

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Lol marussia

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

3 cars starting from the pit, romain and crashtor starting from the back this will be awesome

Go go go

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Oj felipe

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jev is driving a great few laps, seb is having trouble, f1 is fun again

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

poo poo Hamilton's out, but he is refusing wtf is happening

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Alonso once more showing balls of steel at the start, how he didn't hit Magnuson no one knows

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

No poo poo puncture, ya think

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Williams pit crew are storm troopers

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I fell asleep while watching the race live, just about half way through, but woke up for the last 3 laps. Having just watched the replay on iplayer it seems I managed to see all the best bits.

I wish DR wasn't driving for RB, makes me so conflicted as I think he is a really great guy, with a good driving ability and great attitude.

Mag drove a great race, but Bottas beasted it up the field twice - I'll be surprised if Williams don't get a 1-2 this year.

Really looking forward to the next race, anything can, and will, happen!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sashimi posted:

I think in the pre-war days Fiat actually made a Grand Prix car that used a bomber engine.

*Edit* Found the car I was thinking of, not a grand prix car, but a land speed record car. It used a brutal sounding Fiat A.12 aircraft engine.

In the London Science Museum there is Renault engine that was used in a WW1 plane, then a GP winning car in the 20s, then a small airship. Back then they genuinely just used what they had around the garage, cobbling together things with ridiculous power compared to the tyre, aero and suspension technology.

Raw power is the easiest part of racing, but over the years the advances in F1 have been suspension, tyres and aero, and now it is forging ahead with hybrid tech. But no, because it doesn't sound like some unrefined tractor racer everything is ruined. I for one look forward to the new regs in 2035 when F1 goes 100% electric. Imagine the tears.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I had completely forgotten about it, but then again Lotus didn't get much coverage. Tootling round at the back and fighting Sauber for a place in the bottom 6 doesn't get you much TV time it seems.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

FINE OK how can I watch this bloody MotoGP thing if it isn't on ITV player?

Need to get off the bottom of the prediction thing, completely forgot about it for the first race, an all time record. Vettel to win right?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The aim for Mercedes is to get the 1-2 as slow as possible to protect the engines. They probably haven't turned the engine up all the way yet, I fully expect them to lock out and then race off into the sunset.

Red bull have more than likely been ragging it to get up there.

Lotus - it's not even funny anymore, just pathetic.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

McLaren have done hosed up, RBR are cheating again. Its like last year

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

CRASH TIME! McLaren have escaped the drop zone, as did kamui. Edit - kamui dropped, ah well

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 29, 2014

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The split turbo is such a neat bit of thinking that it is almost hard to believe no one has thought of it before. Will it be turning up in road cars in a few years time?

I'm guessing that the Merc powered teams will be able to profit from it, especially when they come back to europe and can construct new side pods. I doubt they will move the balance now though. McLaren are most likely to benefit from the disclosure due to having more dev money, as opposed to Williams and FI.

I know some people are worried that Merc running away with it this year will make things boring but Nico vs Lewis is really exciting, and both drivers are very talented, where as (as much as I think Aussie Grit is an awesome bloke) Vettel vs Webber was alwasys a foregone conclusion, even if they had been given equal parts.

I thought the sound was quite good, but that might have been due to the echo going round the empty stands...

I think Bahrain is a really nice track, and is set up really well for the DRS formula with straights long enough to allow positioning and braking to be the most important factor of the DRS overtake, and lots of weird off camber corners that can produce nice overtaking points. Shame it is in Bahrain.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

simplefish posted:

On the subject of race, perhaps the reason F1 Brazilians are the dark kind of white is because they're always in someone else's shadow?

Seriously, though, it's not F1 without a Brazilian. I have no particular love for Massa (although I do have a lot of pity for Ol' Springface) but the biggest worry I had about him getting shoved out of Ferrari was that we'd be left without a Brazilian if he got left without a drive.

Don't worry the reserve Williams driver is a barely disguised clone of Felipe, there will be a Brazilian in the paddock if Massa leaves. I like Massa, but it says a lot that most people like him more as a person and a mascot than a driver who should be F1.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I remember he also had a bad block job at Brands Hatch that ended with Rosberg spinning. Rosberg pitted, came out in front of Senna, and returned the favor. (Judging by that, and his retaliation on Mansell at Dallas '84, Rosberg was someone you really should not have blocked).

edit: there's a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5G0waDXd-8

Did they not have blue flags at this point? These days Rosberg would have been called up after the race and probably get some penalty points. Senna did completely side swipe him though. I think these days drivers do tend to have a lot of respect when it comes to possible contact which makes for more compelling racing I think. It is a lot harder to race for a few corners within inches of each other when you know that there will be consequences for blocking someone off.

Of course the dirty air problem prevents the tight racing seen in here

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Lonely Tylenol posted:

Yes. And Kobayashi deserved a punch as well. Too bad F1 is so civil now.

How does it feel to be wrong. Kamui had passed him fair and square, accelerated away and Vettel pitted. Just because you are at the front of the pack due to being in a fantastic car doesn't mean you get to hold up faster cars who can pass you at that point.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

AgentJotun posted:

Melbourne, Silverstone, Suzuka, and Interlagos

But these are great tracks?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

lol crashtor

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

IIRC Crashtor has now started from the back of the grid more often than not this season...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Whip rounds? Only in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

:drat:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The K is silent

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Don't bother watching the whole thing trying to see the actual crash, NASCAR is so lovely they couldn't even record it properly.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

darth cookie posted:

Don't bring anything you can't afford to lose, and record and insure anything of value that you bring with you. It's Italy, you will get robbed, and the police will do absolutely nothing to help you. I unironically recommend booby-trapping your hotel room.

And don't assume that the safe in your room is in any way secure, everyone knows the default code on them.

Anything you carry will be stolen by pickpockets, anything you leave in your room will be stolen by hotel staff. But it will still be awesome!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

CratSock posted:

Even the commentators seem to usually take the position that "[aggressor]'s put his car there, and given [defender] the option of either letting him through or binning both cars" but I was thinking this morning that it also applies the other way just as much and "[defender] has turned in for the apex and [aggressor] can either back out of his pass attempt up the inside or bin both cars".

More passing = more exciting racing, but I'm not a fan of the "gently caress you, coming through!!!" style of driving. As someone (e: Tsaedje) pointed out a little earlier, that's some video game poo poo.

Once the guy passing on the inside has begun the move it is pretty much in the defender's hands - if the attacking driver has covered the apex then the defender needs to go wide, if the attacker brakes the defender will still hit them.

Bianchi's move was legit racing, and that is cool

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Posting

"to affix (a paper, etc.) to a post" (in a public place), hence, "to make known," 1630s, from the noun post.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Massa, 340.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Looks like a computer game glitch

:downswords:CODEMASTERS:downswords:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Oh poo poo someone gave Pastor a knife?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Reposting cause forums sukkkkk

LEWIS STEALIN ARE WIMMENS
Nico already moral WDC 2014

In the left hand picture it looks like she is sporting a penis...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The audience they want to attract is the hospitality trade, you have to keep the prices high to justify the hospitality prices.

Tracks and Bernie don't care about plebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Anyone got a gif of the Hamilton ros incident? Or can summarise? Missed the first few lap s

• Locked thread